PDA

View Full Version : Where would Brady be if Bledsoe hadn't gotten hurt?

HaRdKoReXXX
02-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Apologies if this has been posted, but it's such a great article I doubt anyone will mind. I think many of us here have voiced similar hypothetical opinions on Brady and the Pats. Enjoy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/080211&sportCat=nfl

HaRdKoReXXX
02-22-2008, 02:30 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/02/brady_with_doughnut-1.jpg

I Love this pic!

satz
02-22-2008, 02:41 PM
if this guy was good he would atleast win the rhode island [the smallest and hence least pot] lottery and retired .not work.

sdotbailey
02-25-2008, 03:52 PM
kind of a bizarre, lame article.

anyway, speculating on what-ifs doesn't mean anything. the fact of the matter is, the stars lined up and he took advantage. i don't doubt the guys' work ethic and smarts, but chances are if bledsoe didn't get nailed like he did, the chances of brady being Brady would have been pretty damn slim.

this is the same as saying what if marino had had a running back? what if bo jackson was pulled from that playoff game? what if emmitt didn't have that line? yeah yeah yeah, what if? but, they did (or didn't) so, it doesn't matter what any writer (possibly a hater) wants to say about any of the athletes.

we can also say the same thing about 'what if we'd drafted quinn instead of ginn and his great family' last year? what ifs don't matter.

(though that brady picture is kinda funny)

nyjunc
02-25-2008, 04:23 PM
He'd be in the same place he is now. Rumores were already swirling that Belichick was going to make a change to Brady, his career was on the line. If Bledsoe didn't get hurt and he continued to play him and lose his job was on the line and not many 2 time losers as HC's get new jobs. Brady would have been playing w/in weeks. Maybe it would have been too late to go on the SB run in '01 but he'd have at least 2 Championships by now.

HaRdKoReXXX
02-25-2008, 04:49 PM
I think you guys are missing the point, the article is satire and not meant to be serious. Its an omage to all the other what if's you just mentioned. Since Brady is widely considered the best QB in football the writer wanted to show a hypothetical "dark side" to the Golden Boy's career.

And btw if you think Brady was going to supplant Bledsoe even if he won the Super Bowl you're crazy! Gimme one instance where that has happened the very next season...

sdotbailey
02-25-2008, 07:18 PM
trent dilfer?

TomBradyWoot
02-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Probably curing cancer somewhere.

HaRdKoReXXX
02-27-2008, 03:06 PM
trent dilfer?

LOL with Elvis Grbac...guess that turned out okay for that franchise huh. :lol:

Vertical Limit
02-27-2008, 03:16 PM
What if, Atlanta didn't trade Brett Favre? What if, Dan Marino pursued a baseball career? What if, Ricky Williams stayed drug free? What if, Peyton was Ryan and Ryan was Peyton.

:rolleyes2:

HaRdKoReXXX
02-27-2008, 05:31 PM
What if, Atlanta didn't trade Brett Favre? What if, Dan Marino pursued a baseball career? What if, Ricky Williams stayed drug free? What if, Peyton was Ryan and Ryan was Peyton.

:rolleyes2:

See 4 posts above

EDIT: The Falcons would have been good, the Dolphins would have been bad, the Dolphins wouldnt have drafted Ronnie Brown, Peyton would suck, Ryan would be good. :winkwink:

MiamiDolfan85
02-27-2008, 05:36 PM
He'd be in the same place he is now. Rumores were already swirling that Belichick was going to make a change to Brady, his career was on the line. If Bledsoe didn't get hurt and he continued to play him and lose his job was on the line and not many 2 time losers as HC's get new jobs. Brady would have been playing w/in weeks. Maybe it would have been too late to go on the SB run in '01 but he'd have at least 2 Championships by now.

i highly doubt that,why would anyone,let alone the Patcheats switch a 6th round QB with a QB they drafted 1st overall????

:rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

nyjunc
02-27-2008, 05:39 PM
i highly doubt that,why would anyone,let alone the Patcheats switch a 6th round QB with a QB they drafted 1st overall????

:rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

What does Bledsoe being #1 overall in 1993 have to do w/ 2001? Belichick was fighting for his career as a HC. Rumors were also swirling Kraft was going to fire him if things kept up. NE was consistently getting worse each year w/ Drew as the starting QB. I 100% believe Brady would have been starting w/in weeks. Again, it may have been too late to save '01 but it wouldn't have been too late for post '01 and they'd have at least 2 Championships right now.

#1dolphinsfan
02-27-2008, 06:12 PM
he would probly be a back up for another team or a starter for another team

HaRdKoReXXX
02-27-2008, 06:41 PM
What does Bledsoe being #1 overall in 1993 have to do w/ 2001? Belichick was fighting for his career as a HC. Rumors were also swirling Kraft was going to fire him if things kept up. NE was consistently getting worse each year w/ Drew as the starting QB. I 100% believe Brady would have been starting w/in weeks. Again, it may have been too late to save '01 but it wouldn't have been too late for post '01 and they'd have at least 2 Championships right now.

I cant disagree with you completely, only a coach desperate as hell with one foot out the door would bench a solid veteran QB (who was considered one of the best in the game at the time) in favor of a unproven 6th round pick.

Maybe Bledsoe would have been replaced that offseason, but dont you think they would have brought someone else in? Brady was all they had at the time, of course he got the nod. Id love to hear who the 3rd string was at the time...

TomBradyWoot
02-28-2008, 12:21 AM
I cant disagree with you completely, only a coach desperate as hell with one foot out the door would bench a solid veteran QB (who was considered one of the best in the game at the time) in favor of a unproven 6th round pick.

Maybe Bledsoe would have been replaced that offseason, but dont you think they would have brought someone else in? Brady was all they had at the time, of course he got the nod. Id love to hear who the 3rd string was at the time...

Actually, according to Patriot Reign by Michael Holley (great read BTW even if you aren't a Patriots fan), Belichick thought Brady was the better quarterback during the pre-season and would've named him the starter had Bledsoe not had the 100 million dollar contract.

late again
02-28-2008, 02:46 AM
I don't doubt the rumor one bit. When Belichick was the Browns' HC he benched Kosar when he thought it was the best thing to do. At the time Bernie Kosar was incredibly popular with Cleveland Browns fans. I mean they absolutely loved Kosar. Once Belichick decided to go with another QB, BB was like the most hated guy in town.

nyjunc
02-28-2008, 07:02 AM

Bledsoe was NOT consiedered one of the best in the game, there might have been a 2-3 year stretch in the mid 90s where he was(although he was never really a top flight QB) but in 2001 he was not considered a top QB. I fully believe Brady would have gotten his shot very soon if Bledsoe had not been hurt. I remember that gbame vividly and the second Brady stepped on the field the Pats O looked completely different. He didn't have much time and they didn't score w/ him but for the first time all game I was worried and the Jets held on 10-3 but the game ended at the Jets 2 yard line.

HaRdKoReXXX
02-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Actually, according to Patriot Reign by Michael Holley (great read BTW even if you aren't a Patriots fan), Belichick thought Brady was the better quarterback during the pre-season and would've named him the starter had Bledsoe not had the 100 million dollar contract.

So what you're saying is BB let a contract dictate who he was gonna play... Hmmm, so much for the "best 11 guys on the field" theory.

I don't want to get into semantics with examples being hurled at me of guys who only played because they were getting payed a crap load, I'll simply say that is a weak argument to keep someone at the most important position on the field.

You're facts may be correct, but the logic behind them is serisouly flawed.

TomBradyWoot
02-28-2008, 01:52 PM
So what you're saying is BB let a contract dictate who he was gonna play... Hmmm, so much for the "best 11 guys on the field" theory.

I don't want to get into semantics with examples being hurled at me of guys who only played because they were getting payed a crap load, I'll simply say that is a weak argument to keep someone at the most important position on the field.

You're facts may be correct, but the logic behind them is serisouly flawed.

Not really, he might've felt Brady was the better QB but wasn't ready for the storm that benching Drew Bledsoe would've brought over his team. Plus Tom Terrific might not have been ready to take over at that moment.