PDA

View Full Version : Merged 6x:Jets give Vilma permission to seek trade

chucknduckking
02-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Would anyone trade the #1 to the Jets for the #6 and Vilma since we let Zach go?Just looking for your thoughts.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/02/22/2008-02-22_jonathan_vilma_can_fly_away.html?ref=rss

PhinGeneral
02-22-2008, 02:10 PM
The reason they're getting rid of Vilma is because he struggled in their 3-4 scheme. If we run something similar then it's probably rather pointless.

Nappy Roots
02-22-2008, 02:14 PM
The reason they're getting rid of Vilma is because he struggled in their 3-4 scheme. If we run something similar then it's probably rather pointless.

exactly. hes simply not great at shedding blocks at this point....

Phineas64
02-22-2008, 02:16 PM

There's probably something to this, if I remember right his best year was in the 4-3 and then they changed when Mangini came to town. Anyone know how his rehab is going?

Even if healthy and playing in a 4-3, not sure I'd make this, but it would be tempting....

NJFINSFAN1
02-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Thomas>Vilma

It would be a downgrade

PS

Got a link?

Nappy Roots
02-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Thomas>Vilma

It would be a downgrade

do you expect an upgrade? cuz you shouldnt. we arent going to be able to.

NJFINSFAN1
02-22-2008, 02:25 PM
As for Vilma, Mangini said the one-time star of the Jets' defense continues to work back from the knee injury he suffered in the seventh game against Cincinnati which eventually required surgery. That injury allowed rookie David Harris to become one of the few bright spots in the 2007 season and had some wondering whether Vilma – who had problems adjusting to the 3-4 defense – will remain a Jet.
"Jon is one of the hardest working guys I've come across," Mangini said. "He approaches rehab the same way he approaches everything else, full bore all the time. And that's the way he has been progressing this off-season.
"Like with all injuries we'll have to see how it develops. But with Jon I'm sure that every day there will be an incredible level of work to get back to where he should be. Jon's a good player, he's a smart player, he's been very productive for us and he's incredibly competitive."

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/jets/Mangini_declares_QB_war.html

NJFINSFAN1
do you expect an upgrade? cuz you shouldnt. we arent going to be able to.

That's my point, we should have kept him here. Why sign another teams cast off?

Captain Lou
Would anyone trade the #1 to the Jets for the #6 and Vilma since we let Zach go?Just looking for your thoughts.
No thanks!

RealDriscoll
02-22-2008, 02:37 PM
If we did that trade, I would fight Bill Parcells

PhinFan0202
02-22-2008, 02:51 PM
I would take him if we were running the 4-3. He would be a great MLB because he could go sideline to sideline. I think he's going to go to a place like Cincinatti and help their defense out.

Roman529
02-22-2008, 02:54 PM
If we did that trade, I would fight Bill Parcells

You and me both....you hold the Tuna down while I kick him. :shakeno:

dolpns13
02-22-2008, 03:42 PM

No way...

Their 1st, 3rd, and 4th and Vilma for our 1st... Or something like that...

Vilma in my opinion is overrated... He is horrible in the 3-4... ALTHOUGH, he would be an upgrade over Crowder

nyjunc
02-22-2008, 03:46 PM
It was silly to change schemes when they came in and it's silly to get rid of such a talented player. This regime is really scaring me, it reminds me of when Parcells gave away Hugh Douglas for nothing and Hugh became one the best pass rushers in the game.

Dolfan_Noles
02-22-2008, 03:55 PM
As for Vilma, Mangini said the one-time star of the Jets' defense continues to work back from the knee injury he suffered in the seventh game against Cincinnati which eventually required surgery. That injury allowed rookie David Harris to become one of the few bright spots in the 2007 season and had some wondering whether Vilma – who had problems adjusting to the 3-4 defense – will remain a Jet.
"Jon is one of the hardest working guys I've come across," Mangini said. "He approaches rehab the same way he approaches everything else, full bore all the time. And that's the way he has been progressing this off-season.
"Like with all injuries we'll have to see how it develops. But with Jon I'm sure that every day there will be an incredible level of work to get back to where he should be. Jon's a good player, he's a smart player, he's been very productive for us and he's incredibly competitive."

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/jets/Mangini_declares_QB_war.html

Not that it's a huge deal, but you bolded the wrong part of that statement, which made it seem like Mangini said that Vilma would remain a jet. The part that should have been bolded was "That injury allowed rookie David Harris to become one of the few bright spots in the 2007 season and had some wondering whether Vilma – who had problems adjusting to the 3-4 defense – will remain a Jet."

It makes it look like Mangini said he'd be around when, in fact, the whole purpose of this statement was that Harris' play has led people to wonder whether he WILL be around. Doesn't mean he will or won't...but it definitely doesn't mean that Mangini said he would be.

Flip Tanneflop
02-22-2008, 03:57 PM

:shakeno: Even if Vilma were a top level player, it would take more than that to swap 1st pick for 6th pick. When are some of you going to realize that the only way we are sliding out of that spot is for a deal involving MULTIPLE draft picks. Not a straight swap of picks and throw in a veteran player. Get real. The Deangelo Hall idea is stupid too. We can get a younger player who will be as good as Hall in 2-3 years without the poor attitude later in the draft. Why the hell would we slide out of the top spot just for Hall? We want MULTIPLE picks. Not someone else's reject players.

ih8brady
02-22-2008, 04:02 PM
No way...

Vilma in my opinion is overrated... He is horrible in the 3-4... ALTHOUGH, he would be an upgrade over Crowder

:sidelol: @ your sig

LarryFinFan
02-22-2008, 04:02 PM

This is very true...my guess would be the Bucs looking his way...

nyjunc
02-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Vilma doesn't deserve his old job back as David Harris was great as a rookie. If he played enough games he would have won DROY but Vilma should be brought back. he's too talented, there has to be a place for a guy that talented.

houtz
02-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Why would we help the Jets in anyway?

Mrhankey8170
02-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Everyone is assuming that we are going to run the 3-4 because of Parcells experience in it, but Tony Sparano is the head coach of this team, not Bill. If we do run the 4-3, then I would do that trade in a heart beat because Jonathan Vilma is one of the best 4-3 MLBs in football. If we are going to run the 3-4, then no, as Vilma has struggled with the 3-4 since he is not great at shedding blocks.

Bonedoc7777
02-22-2008, 04:59 PM
he is a 4-3 linebacker i think

chucknduckking
02-22-2008, 05:07 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/02/22/2008-02-22_jonathan_vilma_can_fly_away.html?ref=rss Here is the link, sorry it took so long in meetings all afternoon.thanks

sn9ke.eyes
02-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Everyone is assuming that we are going to run the 3-4 because of Parcells experience in it, but Tony Sparano is the head coach of this team, not Bill. If we do run the 4-3, then I would do that trade in a heart beat because Jonathan Vilma is one of the best 4-3 MLBs in football. If we are going to run the 3-4, then no, as Vilma has struggled with the 3-4 since he is not great at shedding blocks.

Well ok but since Sparano has not said publicly which scheme we are going to run, I'm not in favor of acquiring players that are locked into one scheme or the other.

felipen123
02-22-2008, 05:39 PM
hes seeking a trade.... how sweet would it be to grab him, and bring him bak to his hometown....

illscriptures
02-22-2008, 05:41 PM
He would honestly be a downgrade from Zach Thomas and he doesn't fit our 3-4 scheme, but with that said I would love to pick him up.

I don't think there is anyone we could pick up in free agency or in the draft that would be better than him. Hopefully I'm wrong and we do.

chucknduckking
02-22-2008, 10:59 PM
I don't belive that anyone we pickup is going to be an upgrade from Zach. Zach is going to wind up in the HOF, but he is gone and its time to move forward.

#1dolphinsfan
02-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Thomas>Vilma

It would be a downgrade

PS

Got a link?
Ever one that we can pick up Will be a Down Grade to Zach Thomas the Only upgrade would be Patrick Willis, or Ray Lewis and i still think that Zach is as good as both those guys if not better

ch19079
02-23-2008, 01:47 AM
The fins have tons of game film on the guy, so they should know what he can do.

I dont think Vilma alone is worth the top 5 spots in the draft. Vilma is a tallented young LB, but the fact that the team wants to dump him because they dont think he can fit there system, means they really dont want him on the roster next year. This drops his trade value.

Vilma may be worth anywhere between a 2nd rounder to a 4th rounder. IMO, if a deal was done, the fins would have to get at least the jets 3rd this year or the jets 2nd next year to go along with the vilma.

That said, if the fins want to trade their #1 pick to an NFC team for a bag of magic beans, im all for it. Just not a division rival.

palmbeachfinfan
02-25-2008, 01:25 PM
ESPN just announced that Johnathan Vilma has been given permission to negotiate a possible trade with any team except the Pats. I have personally followed Vilma's career since his days at The University of Miami and believe that he would love to return home to Miami and could be a great fit with our team. Not exactly a replacement for Zach but Vilma is a mad-man when healthy. What do you guys think?

BobDole
02-25-2008, 01:28 PM
he is worth a look for sure. when healthy is the problem.

JERSEYFINFAN23
02-25-2008, 02:05 PM
just saw on espn news vilma can seek a trade wit anyone except the pats

SE Idaho dolfan
02-25-2008, 05:59 PM
"anyone except the Patriots." Bravo Jets from office. Not saying anything about the Parcells regime because they haven't done any of this yet. Moves that we have made have directly affected the success of the Pats. Your closest link to the playoffs and getting an opportunity to compete for championships is your own division. Police your division. Give nothing to your close competitors unless the scales are substantially tipped in your favor. It drives me nuts to know so much as a towel boy goes to their team or the Jets for that matter. So way to go Manweeny :up:

FINS4LIFE16
02-25-2008, 11:03 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/02/25/jets_vilma_is_on_market

Jets have given Vilma permission to seek a trade with anyone but the Pats. I've loved Vilma since his days with the canes...what do you guys think

dolpns13
02-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Nope

TheAnswer385
02-25-2008, 11:05 PM
yes sir

TexanPhinatic
02-25-2008, 11:06 PM
He has struggled alot in their 3-4, its the reason he wants out, why would we want him? Hes a 4-3 guy.

SwimminInIndy
02-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Hey I was just watching Sportscenter, and they reported that Jonathan Vilma is allowed to seek a trade with anyone...but the Patriots. I litterally laughed out loud even though I was the only one up. That just tickled me pink. I have never heard of a team being like "Yeah, you can get traded, but don't even try it with them!" Just thought I would share that. The Dolphins should do that next time they want to trade someone, as should everyone else in the NFL.

dolpns13
02-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Hey I was just watching Sportscenter, and they reported that Jonathan Vilma is allowed to seek a trade with anyone...but the Patriots. I litterally laughed out loud even though I was the only one up. That just tickled me pink. I have never heard of a team being like "Yeah, you can get traded, but don't even try it with them!" Just thought I would share that. The Dolphins should do that next time they want to trade someone, as should everyone else in the NFL.

I read that too... Just hilarious... I think thats great how much teams hate the Ratriots now

Dolfan3773
02-26-2008, 09:52 AM
lol

NYPhin24
02-26-2008, 03:52 PM
The Jets gave Vilma the option to search for a trade with any team EXCEPT the cheating patriots....which is a very good thing b/c even if we dont get him he will most likely be out of our division....you think they would take one of our 2nd round picks for Vilma...with Zach now gone and Crowder coming off an injury and Porter aging i think it would be smart for the Phins to go over this kid

Thoughts

dgb11112
02-26-2008, 03:57 PM
For about the 50 th time on this board since it's been discussed so much...

VILMA

dgb11112
02-26-2008, 03:58 PM

VILMA IS A 4-3

WE RUN A 3-4

THAT IS WHY HE IS BEING SHOPPED HE DOESN'T FIT THEIR DEFENSE...

SpaceMountain16
02-26-2008, 04:04 PM

VILMA IS A 4-3

WE RUN A 3-4

THAT IS WHY HE IS BEING SHOPPED HE DOESN'T FIT THEIR DEFENSE...

Yeah, people need to realize that teams cant just plug in players because of their name and stature. Vilma has struggled greatly in the 3-4 in New York, and coming off a knee injury i'm not sure i'd want him anyway. No thanks.

miadolfphan
02-26-2008, 05:41 PM
the jets are looking for a third round pick for jonathan vilma so why dont the dolphins trade there 3rd round pick for vilma to improve the void zach left and he would fit good in our defense with crowder and porter

mroz
02-26-2008, 05:44 PM
because Vilma is not big enough to play LB in a 3 - 4 scheme. That is why the Jets are looking to get rid of him... well, that and his injuries

dolpns13
02-26-2008, 05:45 PM
the jets are looking for a third round pick for jonathan vilma so why dont the dolphins trade there 3rd round pick for vilma to improve the void zach left and he would fit good in our defense with crowder and porter

Because he isnt worth it and wouldnt help us... Again, he IS NOT a 3-4 linebacker and would not help our defense

SweetLou
02-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Vilma is a range-y playmaker with great athleticism that is ideal for a Cover 2 defense, but he isn't strong enough to take on blockers in the 3-4 scheme. He failed at the 3-4 while in New York, and he will fail at it if given a chance in Miami.

MiaMarino
02-26-2008, 05:59 PM

As I understand it, his production fell off after Mangini installed the 3-4 defense (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/02/22/2008-02-22_jonathan_vilma_can_fly_away.html) . I would love to have him but since we will be running the 3-4... won't there be the same issue?

Iroquois Joe
02-28-2008, 02:08 PM
No way...

There really isn't anyone worth giving that much (or anything much) to move up to the top pick for. Looks like your stuck with the 1st pick regardless.

If it's true the Jets are looking for a 3rd to trade him, Vilma would fit the Bills scheme, and they have two 3rds to play with.