PDA

View Full Version : 17 Teams Defense.. Which Fantasy Defense is the Best??

RUDEbyallMEANS
08-21-2003, 06:15 PM
There are 17 defenses left in my draft and I made a little bit of a mistake in taking a kicker and defense with my last 2 picks.. The defenses left are as follows:

New York Jets, Washington Redskins, Green Bay Packers, San Diego Chargers, Chicago Bears, Denver Broncos, Indianapolis Colts, Cleveland Browns, Seattle, Houston, Jacksonville, Detroit, Kansas City, Buffalo, Minnesota, Cincinnati and Arizona...

I'm leaning towards choosing the Packers but am having a tough time choosing between the Packers, Colts and Buffalo Bills.. Anybody have any thoughts on this??

UT-Phinz
08-21-2003, 06:22 PM
I'd say there isn't a ton of difference between the Colts, Packers, Chargers, Redskins, or Bills on that list. They are all roughly on the same scoring platue in what kind of point value they will be worth over the coming season.

I could tell ya a little bit better though if I knew how your league scores defenses... how many points for sacks, interceptions, force fumbles, TDs, etc...

RUDEbyallMEANS
08-21-2003, 06:32 PM
Here it is...

2points each fumble recovery (from opponent)
6 points each fumble recovery TD
2 points/ INT caught
6 points/INT for TD
2 points/ blocked field goal
6 points/ Field goal blocked for TD
2 points/blocked punts
6 points/blocked punt for TD
1 point/Sack the QB
2 points/ Safeties

Allow 0-6 points 10 points
Allow 7-13 points 7 points
Allow 14-20 points 4 points
Allow 21-27 points 1 point
Allow 28+ points 0 points

RUDEbyallMEANS
08-21-2003, 06:35 PM
I noticed that the Packers forced the most Turnovers last year... is that to be expected this year with Al Harris?? How will the Packers defense be effected with Gilbert Brown out and one of their safeties??

UT-Phinz
08-21-2003, 06:37 PM
Based upon those numbers, here's how I'd rank the Defenses in your league:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Philadelphia Eagles
Baltimore Ravens
Miami Dolphins
Pittsburgh Steelers
Carolina Panthers
New York Giants
Tennessee Titans
San Francisco 49ers
Oakland Raiders
Green Bay Packers
New England Patriots
Indianapolis Colts
Atlanta Falcons
San Diego Chargers
Washington Redskins
Denver Broncos
New York Jets
Buffalo Bills
St. Louis Rams
Chicago Bears
Dallas Cowboys
Houston Texans
New Orleans Saints
Kansas City Chiefs
Cleveland Browns
Jacksonville Jaguars
Seattle Seahawks
Minnesota Vikings
Arizona Cardinals
Detroit Lions
Cincinnati Bengals

I have a little spreadsheet that I use which does some calculations based upon projections for the coming year, and that's how the numbers crunched out. Green Bay looks like your best option.

RUDEbyallMEANS
08-21-2003, 06:43 PM
Once again man.. Thanks...

UT-Phinz
08-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Here's the latest skinny on the Green Bay Packers defensive situation for ya...

GREEN BAY PACKERS – NFL Rank #15 – Defensive Coordinator - Ed Donatell

LINE – The Packers took several losses along the line this offseason. They need high price DE Joe Johnson to play up to his ability. He can be a dominant two way player when healthy but must show he is over his prior injury and understands this scheme. DT Gilbert Brown resigned and is a super load who impersonates The Refrigerator. He is a force in the middle with good run stuffing ability when under 350 lbs. DT Cletidus Hunt stepped up last fall and displayed some playmaking ability mainly as a rusher. DE KGB displayed good outside pass pressure and will share the job with disappointing DE Jamal Reynolds most likely.

LINEBACKERS - The Packers LBer unit will undergo major changes this season. New rookie middle LBer Nick Barnett is the surprise starter after playing outside as a collegian. His speed allows him to make plays all over the field. Young Na’il Diggs is the only returning starter though he moves to the weakside from the strongside. That should allow him to make more big plays off the edge as a pass rusher. New outside defender Hannibal Navies is a quality addition and an every down defender. He is a good cover backer with the speed to pursue well in run support. Young LB Torrance Marshall will miss the first month on suspension, but figures to play a bigger role as the season progresses.

SECONDARY – The Packers secondary returns three starters from last season with new addition CB Al Harris a key acquisition. Harris gives them a big cover man to matchup with the large receivers in the NFL North division. He was a fine addition. Starting corner Mike McKenzie is one of the more underrated defenders in the league and capable of shutting down top flight NFL receivers. Defenders Bhawoh Jue and Antwan Edwards have been valuable backups at every position and get the first call when injuries occur. Free safety Darren Sharper is a better cover centerfielders and a player with impact ability. He should be used more as a blitzer this fall. Safety Marques Anderson will be tested this fall vs tight ends where he gives up a big size advantage.

’03 Overview and Projection: This unit has many questions especially with two new starters in the secondary and linebacker unit. The front four has depth and talent but needs to show it has the chemistry to effectively rush the passer and stuff the run. Their set of corners McKenzie and Harris are a very good tandem that could become one of the better pair in the league by season's end. They gave up too much yardage and big plays last season and will not go further in the playoffs unless this unit steps up a level this season.

RUDEbyallMEANS
08-21-2003, 06:53 PM
Which defense would you personally go for... Indianapolis or Green Bay??

Barbarian
08-21-2003, 06:54 PM
I'll second this, even with the losses they have suffered, Green Bay looks to be the best available Defense for ya.

UT-Phinz
08-21-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Barbarian
I'll second this, even with the losses they have suffered, Green Bay looks to be the best available Defense for ya.

What he said. :D

RUDEbyallMEANS
08-21-2003, 06:57 PM
Alright.. UT, Barbarian.. Thanks..

SuperMarksBros.
08-23-2003, 11:05 PM
packers, hands down

Great_One
09-01-2003, 03:14 AM
I would go with Green Bay. They play in the weakest division of football and you got Chicago and Detroit twice.