PDA

View Full Version : Madden: IR and Roster Limits

Muck
08-22-2003, 01:25 PM
Is anyone else experiencing this or am I just missing something??

Whenever I put a guy on IR, he still counts against the roster. It sucked when I'd lose a guy for the year....then go to sign someone else.....and be told that my roster is full. Because of this, I had to cut several players at other positions throughout the season, which left me thin there as well. Really p*ssed me off. Especially when it was a decent player or a rookie.

Hopefully I'm just missing something......or EA will soon offer a patch to correct it.

Prime Time
08-22-2003, 01:28 PM
:lol: You suck! Do not cut people Muck....not good....gives you Cap Penalties and every year you need all the money you have so you can re-sign our star guys....Muck you are in trouble Cap Wise in a few years.

Muck
08-22-2003, 01:37 PM
Hey, I understand the cap. And my penalty for this year was only $220K this year. So suck it, Trebek. ;)

What I meant was, when I placed Ricky Williams (for instance) on Injured Reserve, he still counted for a roster spot. Only thing that happened was he was named "inactive" in the roster breakdown. But I still showed 54 players on the roster. Losing one guy is tough (especially Ricky) when that happens. But when you've got 5-6 guys on IR.....as well as several others out for weeks at a time......it's rough. And you can't go into a game with only 1 QB or 1 RB. They just won't let you. So the game left me NO CHOICE but to start cutting players when they continued to count players I placed on IR against my roster. :(

Prime Time
08-22-2003, 01:40 PM
:lol: I HAD one injury during the season, Brian Griese he was just Probable......for the first two games.

Muck
08-22-2003, 01:52 PM
You suck. I lost Randy McMichael for 12 weeks during the preseason. I signed Wesley Walls......and he lasted till Week 4 until he went down for 3 weeks. So I was left with Ed Perry and Battags. :lol:

Prime Time
08-22-2003, 02:30 PM
Damn...you really suck! :D I had no injures besides Brian Griese. Muck you are pretty bad :D :lol:. I wish I could play you...it would be a Field Day playing against guys like David Bowens, Sage, Simmons etc. :D

Muck
08-22-2003, 06:09 PM
Heh, I WISH I'd have Sage for ya. But he got hurt. Hell, Neil O'Donnell got hurt too. I finished the year with Danny freaking Wuerffel (#5 QB). :lol:

Prime Time
08-23-2003, 12:51 AM
:rofl: Wow you suck, Muck!

AngryDolphins
08-23-2003, 03:04 PM
I lost McMichael for 3 weeks in year 3...my first serious injury.

M-REAL
08-23-2003, 03:13 PM
I had RW out when I started pre-season.(out for 4 wks.) And I had Seau out 7 wks with a broken hip-bone. I went to F/A and picked up a guy named Eddie Robinson to fill in for Seau, and he is pretty damn good! I cut Sevearns after the 2nd pre-season game and I screwed myself somehow with the cap, like you Muck. Sh**, I don't know the cap politics man; where's clump when ya need him?

Dolfan984
08-23-2003, 03:47 PM
Holy crap? Do you get sacked every play or something?

Jay hardly ever gets hurt for me. Never for weeks at a time.

Prime Time
08-23-2003, 04:06 PM
M-Real IM me on AOL or PM me and I will explain it to you. I was self taught about the Cap....it is not that hard. It is MUCH MUCH more compliacted in real life. Cap is a very important thing about football games. I mean M-Real (regarding your post in another thread) If you turn off Cap, Heck why not turn off Injuries too? They both make the game unrealistic.

AngryDolphins
08-23-2003, 06:03 PM
Just explain it here.

Prime Time
08-23-2003, 07:10 PM
Why, do you not get it either? :lol: :jk:

AngryDolphins
08-23-2003, 08:26 PM
No, just so people can read it if there is anyone else who have the same problem. And stop ending you sentences with that JK dude!!

Prime Time
08-23-2003, 09:11 PM
Dude??? Oh no....not that you too. I thought you were gangsta..

Chyll out yo, I am messing with you. If Hurricane wants help I'll post it here, and help him out, and anyone else who is having the same problem.

AngryDolphins
08-24-2003, 02:02 AM
I was refering to the icon..who said I was gangsta? :o

Prime Time
08-24-2003, 03:11 PM
Your screenname :D

AngryDolphins
08-24-2003, 10:20 PM
Where??

VanDolPhan
08-25-2003, 04:08 AM
There is a method to the madness.

They are making it harder to stack your roster on purpose so you will have to be thin along some areas at times. Heck with Madden 2003 it was far too easy to replace almost any position with someone competent.......now your kinda going to have to go with who you got. Makes things interesting.

Prime Time
08-25-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by VanDolPhan
There is a method to the madness.

They are making it harder to stack your roster on purpose so you will have to be thin along some areas at times. Heck with Madden 2003 it was far too easy to replace almost any position with someone competent.......now your kinda going to have to go with who you got. Makes things interesting.

Yes it does. Surprised to hear VanDolphan say that....

VanDolPhan
08-25-2003, 11:11 PM
Not to mention you don't really want to have to spend money on backups if you don't have to. Heck even some cruddy RB is going to cost you around 750k to plug in there and that comes right out of your profits. Try to do your roster with about $10 million in cap space. Also try to do low signing bonuses even if it means giving a couple more million in money overall. It will come in handy if that guy doesn't perform well enough for the cash then you can trade him for a lower rated guy and usually scoop a 4th for him.

Also get rid of Morlon from day one. Let Eddie Moore take over and have him go through the training camp and he will be a 76-82 LB in 2 years max everytime. Before Eddie went down for me he had 9 sacks and 5 INT's and I never controlled him personally :)

M-REAL
08-28-2003, 05:41 PM
Well in my first off-season after the SB, I tried to play the draft and sometimes when I picked(well only once they didn't) I heard like an audience boo at me. WTF? Then after selections I tried to sign players to my roster and the CPU said I couldn't afford the players--Again WTF? So, I said screw the freakin draft and let the Cpu handle it for me but when I started my next Pre-season game; after the first qtr; the rookies that I drafted were starting. WTF???!! PT and Van---what happened here?

M-REAL
08-28-2003, 05:47 PM
BTW, I made alot of money in the first year of the franchise, plus I only lost one game the entire season and still the salary cap was fu**** up. I mean yes I bought some stuff for my team like: New fitness club, an English pub, more media and everything attention, signed a deal/stadium sponser, and I raised my prices for everything but didn't go over the limits, and I re-signed my SB bad-a****. But all in all, I couldn't afford my draft choices? WTF???!! I can't fix this problem now?? HELP ME!

VanDolPhan
08-28-2003, 07:43 PM
It's your salary cap. You can't have all the players you want.

I usually start off by trading Junior Seau away for a #1 draft pick and a young guy around 73-74 with room to grow. Then I trade Morlon off for a 4th and sign some backup scrub for Eddie. I also trade Griese away right off to so I can get that #1 and have his salary off the cap ASAP as his salary is brutal (you can manage this better by signing him to a 5 year deal......0 siging bonus and really inflated salaries.....a team will take him cause they can turn around and turn it into a 2 or 3 year deal as there is no signing bonus for them to aquire). I also get rid of Oronde (you can get a 2nd round pick for his lame rear.). You will also want to get rid of McKnight at the most after one season.

Sign your young guys right away also. Before training camp I resign McMicheal, Ogunleye to new deals 4 year ones. Don't always try to get the lowest figure either for a guy you expect to grow. He will just hold out later.

Remember that you want to keep your salaries between $80-85 million tops. So you will have to decide each year who to trade off for draft picks and who you can afford to keep. This included me having to trade off Zach Thomas cause the bastard held out after year 2 cause he got to a 97 rating and figure $10.5 million signing bonus wasn't good enough. So I had to trade him, however I got Dan Morgan from Carolina for him (92 rating) and got a 3rd round pick outta it and Carolina got Zach Thomas with no signing bonus but 33 years of age.

Gotta love the unrealistic trading :)

Also screw the fans. Don't buy crap. Your costs will go up the first couple years before leveling. Although I got lucky and got a 4 year $21 million a year deal based on winning the super bowl and won the superbowl that year. So $21 million really helped my assets :)

Barbarian
08-28-2003, 08:31 PM
The only 2 upgrades I have put in the stadium are Cup Holders (best bang for the buck IMHO) and the state of the art Medical Facility (helps players recover faster and lessens injury severity)

M-REAL
08-29-2003, 10:16 AM
Thanks VanDol. for the tips!:D

The Spaz
08-29-2003, 10:41 AM
I made my Buffalo Bills team with all rookies from this years draft class except for the kicker and punter it was fun!:) Carson Palmer to Charles Rogers all day!:)

Prime Time
08-29-2003, 11:17 PM
The Fans boo you in the Draft because they did not like the selection you made...For Example Fins are stacked at CB and in one of the first three rounds you draft a CB...Fans will boo.