PDA

View Full Version : To Tithe Or Not To Tithe

BAMAPHIN 22
03-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Tithing, the giving of one tenth of one’s income to a religious group, has its roots in the Old Testament. But some Christians are questioning it, and the answers might surprise you. In an era when contributions to religious groups are growing more slowly than other charitable giving, and as Congress takes a closer look at the finances of some televangelists, Martha Teichner examines the controversy over tithing, and meets some inspiring people who strongly believe in the power of generosity.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/01/sunday/main3896728.shtml?source=mostpop_story

Dolphan7
03-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Our church does not pass the plate, never have in 15 plus years. We have giving boxes at the back wall of the main auditorium. Giving is between the believer and God. God wants us to give from the heart and not grudgingly. And there has never been a lack of money. The church has grown from renting a movie theatre in 1992, to buying 20 acres of land and building our own church on site. Our size has grown from 50 the first month of operation, to about 2500 today.

Tithing was meant to support the Priests who ran the Temple, the Levites, whose sole job was to do that, for all the tribes of Israel.

There is no Temple, there are no priests. That all died in 70 AD when the temple was destroyed by the Romans.

Giving is important though. It reflects a right relationship with God. We should give regularly ( I Cor 16:2), Purposely (II Cor 9:7a), Cheerfully ((II Cor 9:7b) and Sacrificially (Mark 12:41-44).

Pagan
03-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Our church does not pass the plate, never have in 15 plus years. We have giving boxes at the back wall of the main auditorium. Giving is between the believer and God. God wants us to give from the heart and not grudgingly. And there has never been a lack of money. The church has grown from renting a movie theatre in 1992, to buying 20 acres of land and building our own church on site. Our size has grown from 50 the first month of operation, to about 2500 today.
Serious question...and not a slap. What the hell does a church need 20 acres of land for?

Dolphan7
03-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Serious question...and not a slap. What the hell does a church need 20 acres of land for?It's is a fair question. The answer is - Future Growth. Right now half the land is undeveloped, and the half that is is divided into a campus and a parking lot.

You have to have a place for people to park!

Any large venue has the exact same problem. Parking.

Den54
03-10-2008, 06:29 AM
Tithing can be any amount givin to anyone for charitble purposes imo.
It does not have to be church related imo.

LtDan
03-10-2008, 07:21 AM
Instead of squabbling over what % to give......I just chose not to attend church

Dolphan7
03-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Instead of squabbling over what % to give......I just chose not to attend churchWe miss you Brother Dan!:wink:

LouPhinFan
03-10-2008, 12:32 PM
My church operates under the 10-10-80 philosophy. Actually we just finished a sermon series on this subject.

10% tithe
10% save
80% spend (wisely)

Of course included in the 80% is any charitable giving outside of the church, which is encouraged. Its all a part of the "stewardship" mentality. Its all God's money anyways, so we should be faithful and diligent in its handling. Here are several parables about money in the Bible.

LouPhinFan
03-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Here's our head minister's message on giving:

http://secc.lightcastmedia.com/console.php?u=3048&c=2133638736

Dolphan7
03-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Here's our head minister's message on giving:

http://secc.lightcastmedia.com/console.php?u=3048&c=2133638736

Pretty good teaching on giving. Can't fault anyone or any church who promotes tithing. It is a good guideline and a good base to refer to, it is a good rule of thumb, but it isn't the rule. Giving first, giving from the heart, giving without grudge or resentment.

I don't give 10%. But I will say that when I started to give "anything", my income doubled and then tripled. As I increase my giving, guess what? Yup. And when I didn't give generously? My income suffered.

So it isn't how much you give, but that you do give and give gladly and from the heart and not reluctantly.

Because God doesn't need our money. He wants our relationship with Him. Giving is a sign of a good relationship with God. Giving because we want to, not because we need to. That is the sign of a healthy relationship.

SCall13
03-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Serious question...and not a slap. What the hell does a church need 20 acres of land for?

I've often wondered that myself. All the denominations seem to think the bigger their church, the more respected they will be by God. At least, that's my take on it. I could delve further into the issue, but it will start an entirely new debate they will be totally off topic.

Dolphan7
03-25-2008, 05:04 PM
I've often wondered that myself. All the denominations seem to think the bigger their church, the more respected they will be by God. At least, that's my take on it. I could delve further into the issue, but it will start an entirely new debate they will be totally off topic.I often wonder where the line is between having just what you need, and then excessive building or expenditures.

It reminds me of the Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove CA. Why the need for such opulance?

I see other mega churches who get by with far less.

greatwade
03-25-2008, 05:08 PM
you'd flip out if you saw how much money some of my clients give the church.

sure some of them are unscrupulous, some of them have interesting hobbies, but still
beats giving the money to the gov't

greatwade
03-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Hallelujah!!!!

• Kenneth and Gloria Copeland of Kenneth Copeland Ministries of Newark, Texas, a $20 million organization and prosperity gospel pioneer. Questions were raised about the transfer of church assets to a for-profit company, Security Patrol Inc., a $1 million loan from Gloria Copeland to the group, and a "personal gift" of more than $2 million given to Kenneth Copeland to mark the ministry's 40th anniversary.
A Copeland spokeswoman released a statement saying the ministry is working on a response to Grassley's letter, follows all laws and best practices governing churches and religious non-profit groups, and "will continue to do so."
• Creflo and Taffi Dollar of World Changers Church International and Creflo Dollar Ministries of College Park, Ga. Grassley's letter asks for records on private planes, board makeup, compensation and donations and "love offerings" to visiting ministers. In a statement, Dollar called his ministry an "open book" and said he would cooperate. He also questioned whether the investigation could "affect the privacy of every community church in America."
• Benny Hinn of World Healing Center Church Inc. and Benny Hinn Ministries of Grapevine, Texas, is asked about use of a private jet, a home in Dana Point, Calif. and "layover trips" while traveling on ministry business. Hinn did not respond to requests for comment.
• Bishop Eddie Long of New Birth Missionary Baptist Church and Bishop Eddie Long Ministries of Lithonia, Ga., was questioned about his salary, a $1.4 million real estate transaction and whether he, and not the board, holds sole authority over the organization. Long plans to fully comply with the Senate's request, and his church has "several safeguards" to ensure transactions comply with laws governing churches, according to a statement from Long's spokesman.
• Joyce and David Meyer of Joyce Meyer Ministries of Fenton, Mo., who were quizzed about receiving donations of money and jewelry and the handling of cash from overseas crusades. They also were asked about expenditures at ministry headquarters, including a $30,000 conference table and a $23,000 "commode with marble top."
The ministry's lawyer released a statement describing the ministry's work and public release of several years' worth of audits. He also said the IRS found in October that the group continues to qualify for tax-exempt status.
• Randy and Paula White of the multiracial Without Walls International Church and Paula White Ministries of Tampa are asked about home purchases in San Antonio, Texas, Malibu, Calif., and New York, credit card charges for clothing and cosmetic surgery and the reported purchase of a Bentley convertible as a gift for Bishop T.D. Jakes, a prominent Texas preacher and televangelist. An e-mail to a spokeswoman for Jakes was not immediately returned.
In a statement, Randy and Paula White declined to comment on specifics, saying they needed time to review the letter with their lawyers. But the Whites called the Grassley letter "unusual, since the IRS has separate powers to investigate religious organizations if they think it's necessary."
Hinn, Kenneth Copeland and Creflo Dollar all sit on the board of regents for Oral Roberts University, which is mired in a financial scandal of its own.

mmmmmmmmmm love offerings

Dolphan7
03-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Our church's 22 acres were donated by an unknown someone. Talk about a write-off!

HaRdKoReXXX
03-25-2008, 05:55 PM
My Ex-Girlfriend asked me to go with her to this Mega Church in Ft. Lauderdale called "The Cavalry" or Calvary (always get those mixed up) anywho as an openminded atheist I went with her to a service.

Towards the end Pastor 'Bob' told the people that the reason some of them were struggling financially was because they "were not giving enough to the Lord". ($)

I had prepared myself to hear some things I wasnt going to agree with, but found it hard to believe that any self-respecting Christian could sit in accordance with this rubbish.

Dolphan7
03-25-2008, 06:17 PM
My Ex-Girlfriend asked me to go with her to this Mega Church in Ft. Lauderdale called "The Cavalry" or Calvary (always get those mixed up) anywho as an openminded atheist I went with her to a service.

Towards the end Pastor 'Bob' told the people that the reason some of them were struggling financially was because they "were not giving enough to the Lord". ($)

I had prepared myself to hear some things I wasnt going to agree with, but found it hard to believe that any self-respecting Christian could sit in accordance with this rubbish.
Well Pastor Bob told half truth there......A complete understanding behind Christian giving would have been better to understand his comments. There is a link by Louphin in this thread that gives a decent overview on giving. You should check it out.