PDA

View Full Version : Calvin Pace Update

Pages : [1] 2

esafille
03-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Just read .on Dolphins in Depth, by Armando Salguero, that Pace is mulling over offers from Fins and Jets, but that neither team offered him the 20 Million guaranteed that he's looking to get. He likes South Florida and the Tuna, as well, so it seems that Miami has him if they are willing to throw a few more dollars in his direction (or just wait it out a bit).

http://dolphinsindepth.blogspot.com/

E

phinfan33
03-03-2008, 02:55 PM
well,if we do get him,hopefully he'll get used right and show he's worth whatever he'll get paid.

phinfan13/34
03-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Man wth is up with these athletes that have 1 good year and all of a sudden expect top dollar? The dolphins shouldnt budge on their offer, he could be a one year wonder all we know. He hasnt been consistent enough to be worth 20 mill guaranteed.

X-Pacolypse
03-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Well, then it's time the Dolphins decide as to how badly they want him. Do they throw in the extra dough, or do they stand pat?

SQuinn17
03-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Man wth is up with these athletes that have 1 good year and all of a sudden expect top dollar? The dolphins shouldnt budge on their offer, he could be a one year wonder all we know. He hasnt been consistent enough to be worth 20 mill guaranteed.
exactly! that offer is wayyyy much more than he should be getting. im stunned he didnt sign the second we offered that.

Dorfdad
03-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Well, then it's time the Dolphins decide as to how badly they want him. Do they throw in the extra dough, or do they stand pat?

They call him and say we need an answer as we have other targets and we can not wait for you and miss out on other options avialiable to us..

(Hopefully he does not realise there are none :) )

MiamiDolphins34
03-03-2008, 03:01 PM
I rather have a derrick harvey or a gholston they are way younger than pace.

Canadianfishfan
03-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Nothing that hasn't been said all morning.

PyroDOLFAN
03-03-2008, 03:03 PM
I hate these kinds of players. They have one good year and think they are the best thing to ever happen to the position. Screw it. Take it or leave it, I hope he gets is *donkey* planted on the ground next season. If he joins our team then I hope Ronnie runs him over in practice once or twice to humble him down a bit.

phinfan13/34
03-03-2008, 03:05 PM

Yeah thats all we need is another potential Joey Porter situation where we over pay and they under perform.:err:

lbmclean_sj
03-03-2008, 03:07 PM
we should just sign Blackstock and move on

alen1
03-03-2008, 03:08 PM
In addition to OL Damien Woody, free agent LB Brendon Ayanbadejo is visiting with the Jets on Monday.
If Ayanbadejo is serious about playing more on defense, this probably isn't the place he wants to be. It's the special teamer's first known visit.

RW

Looks like the Jets might be losing out on Pace.

alen1
03-03-2008, 03:09 PM
we should just sign Blackstock and move on

Sign both.

G-Force
03-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Yeah thats all we need is another potential Joey Porter situation where we over pay and they under perform.:err:We knew Joey was injured when we signed him and he still outplayed JT or anyone else on the D with his injuries. He and W. Allen was the only ones to play with heart all year and obviously some of you didn't watch the Phins last year. He in no way underperformed. He was our best player.

alen1
03-03-2008, 03:12 PM
We knew Joey was injured when we signed him and he still outplayed JT or anyone else on the D with his injuries. He and W. Allen was the only ones to play with heart all year and obviously some of you didn't watch the Phins last year. He in no way underperformed. He was our best player.

Thank you!

Dorfdad
03-03-2008, 03:13 PM
You know the Jets are becoming a real pain in the ace... Seems the Entire AFC-east is switching to the 3-4 so were fighting over the same players..

Just another reason to hate those gals..

Roth's Wrath
03-03-2008, 03:15 PM
I want to see what a healthy Joey Porter can do in a Phins uniform this year. Everyone knows what he can do. he's a playmaker!

alen1
03-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Theyr going to be like the Redskins. They will be in the negatives in the next year or two.

PyroDOLFAN
03-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Pace needs to get over this deal of 20 million guaranteed. Briggs only got 13 million guaranteed, and sorry pace but Briggs has proven himself more than you. Sign and be happy my friend, sign and be happy.

phinaddict77
03-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Lance Briggs got 12million in guaranteed money. What is Calvin Pace thinking?

Vertical Limit
03-03-2008, 03:26 PM
EXACTLY. Briggs is someone you could give 20 mill guarantees, but not even he got that.

Calvin Pace, you are way overrating yourself. And here everyone thought, "OH IT'S JUST MONEY I WANT HIM ON THIS TEAM".

WRONG. That's not how you build a franchise off the ground. You don't overpay when you still have many holes to fill.

lbmclean_sj
03-03-2008, 03:26 PM
if we go full blown 3-4, Joey will prolly do a lot better

melvindillon
03-03-2008, 03:27 PM
since briggs gets 12 mil guaranteed then pace should get 12 mil or less.

period.

alen1
03-03-2008, 03:27 PM
EXACTLY. Briggs is someone you could give 20 mill guarantees, but not even he got that.

Calvin Pace, you are way overrating yourself. And here everyone thought, "OH IT'S JUST MONEY I WANT HIM ON THIS TEAM".

WRONG. That's not how you build a franchise off the ground. You don't overpay when you still have many holes to fill.

I wouldn't give Briggs that money. He was smart to sign with the Bears because he knows without Urlacher, he is just another 'backer.

SabanHater
03-03-2008, 03:30 PM
go to the Jets and watch our running game bang you up next year when we play you twice.
your going to need that extra money for your hospital bills you greedy *******!!!!!

ckparrothead
03-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Calvin Pace will be paid more than Lance Briggs because of the position he plays. Inside linebackers that can do what Lance Briggs does are less rare than outside linebackers/rush ends that can do what Pace does...supposedly.

I was initially incredulous about this move but after really looking into his production at Arizona...and watching some film...the guy can play. The numbers are hard to swallow but the guy can play.

ATVZ400
03-03-2008, 03:31 PM
i thought we gave him 20mil? as per kffl post here is the link..
Dolphins | Team reportedly makes Pace offer
Sun, 2 Mar 2008 20:50:20 -0800
Kent Somers, of the Arizona Republic, reports the Miami Dolphins (http://www.kffl.com/team/22/nfl) have reportedly offered free-agent LB Calvin Pace (http://www.kffl.com/player/6031/nfl) (Cardinals) a contract that includes $20 million in guarantees.

fishypete
03-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Calvin Pace will be paid more than Lance Briggs because of the position he plays. Inside linebackers that can do what Lance Briggs does are less rare than outside linebackers/rush ends that can do what Pace does...supposedly.

I was initially incredulous about this move but after really looking into his production at Arizona...and watching some film...the guy can play. The numbers are hard to swallow but the guy can play.

Agreed.

JFoxx
03-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Why does this just feel a lot like what Arrington did to us a couple of years ago. I remember that whole mess where he kept going back and forth between us and the Giants. And then finally jumped to them after thinking we had him all but signed. I'd probably have to agree that we should just say you have until tonight to make your decision, else the deal's off the table and we move on. But I'd still like to get him if we can. I just don't want to be held hostage by another LB who we're not 100% sure is going to be that good.

brandon1986
03-03-2008, 03:40 PM
no one knows these press idiots get things wrong all the time, we had pace we dont have pace we offered him 20 million in guarantees we didnt offer him 20 in guarantees
none of these idiots know anything

as for pace i am one of the biggest advocates to signing him, i knew of pace before this FA signing, he has serious talent, he was not used right really until last year

that being said i dont think any player in the NFL is worth 20 million dollars to play football for a living, but i am not paying it and this is how the NFL and all pro sports works

i say if he doesnt take 14/15 million in guarantees at the most then **** him and lets move on,

and for people bashing joey porter get real, he had knee surgery before the season he busted his *** to get back before the season, he was not 100 percent, but when he did get healthy he was the old jerry porter add to the fact he came from a 3-4 to a lame *** 4-3 that was poorly ran last year

Hagan82
03-03-2008, 03:43 PM
My initial reaction is to say take it or leave it too, however, how much of this is his agent doing? Look what happened to O. Gadsden...declined a nice multi year deal as he wanted more, never got it, and was out of he league in a year and who knows where the guy is. If he and his agent want to play ball like that, I'd tell him starting tomorrow, the offer depreciates daily by 7 percent; if we make another move on a targeted player, the offer is immediately and permanently withdrawn...would be funny if we and the Jets signed someone else and left the guy with a substantially smaller contract elsewhere.

phinfan40353
03-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Lance Briggs got 12million in guaranteed money. What is Calvin Pace thinking?

Pace (and his agent) are thinking the same thing everyone else is in the NFL.

Lance Briggs now comes with the "product of the system" label in the Tampa 2. He's had an above average Front 7 to play with his entire tenure. Not too mention, 4-3 linebackers are easy to find.

However, 3-4 linebackers are not as easy to find/project/develop. Now that 3-4 has become the "vogue" system to use, there is a declining supply of 3-4 linebackers.

It's basic economics and a seller's market. Calvin Pace has shown exceptional capabilities in a 3-4 LB role. Not many good/great 3-4 LBs are on the market. Therefore, he gets to sell his services at a premium.

And, as far as the 'greedy' label goes, he's only doing what any of us would do: Getting as much money as he's worth. Don't blame him for asking. If he tanks or gets injured, this contract may be the only security in his earning life. I don't blame him for asking for more money.

It's not about us the fans, it's about him and his life. He has to make the best decision for him. If it makes him a fin, all the better.

brandon1986
03-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Pace (and his agent) are thinking the same thing everyone else is in the NFL.

Lance Briggs now comes with the "product of the system" label in the Tampa 2. He's had an above average Front 7 to play with his entire tenure. Not too mention, 4-3 linebackers are easy to find.

However, 3-4 linebackers are not as easy to find/project/develop. Now that 3-4 has become the "vogue" system to use, there is a declining supply of 3-4 linebackers.

It's basic economics and a seller's market. Calvin Pace has shown exceptional capabilities in a 3-4 LB role. Not many good/great 3-4 LBs are on the market. Therefore, he gets to sell his services at a premium.

And, as far as the 'greedy' label goes, he's only doing what any of us would do: Getting as much money as he's worth. Don't blame him for asking. If he tanks or gets injured, this contract may be the only security in his earning life. I don't blame him for asking for more money.

It's not about us the fans, it's about him and his life. He has to make the best decision for him. If it makes him a fin, all the better.

i agree with most of your statement
this is what i think pisses the people off the most
after visiting the dolphins, he makes all these statements about loving it in miami, would love to play with jason taylor, knows how bill and co want and will win, so whats he do instead of staying and working on a deal he flies out to new york

OneHondo
03-03-2008, 04:02 PM
I think they should go ahead and plan visits with any other linebackers that are on the market. Make Pace think they are moving on without him. If he is really interested he will take the hint and call the Dolphins. I really don't think Parcells is one to let himself be jerked around by someone.

MiamiDolfan85
03-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Just read .on Dolphins in Depth, by Armando Salguero, that Pace is mulling over offers from Fins and Jets, but that neither team offered him the 20 Million guaranteed that he's looking to get. He likes South Florida and the Tuna, as well, so it seems that Miami has him if they are willing to throw a few more dollars in his direction (or just wait it out a bit).

http://dolphinsindepth.blogspot.com/

E

for those of you who think we're going crazy....just think about how Parcells is feeling.....

TheBow305
03-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Just wait for Chris Long or Vernon Gholston.... They will be better anyway... :)

nyjunc
03-03-2008, 04:08 PM
He's a Jet:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3275059

G-Force
03-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Hey you guys can have him. BTW aren't you guys in enough cap hell without overpaying for a 1 year of production? How much money do you have?

turboace

bgphin
He went to the jets, what's option 2?

dlockz
03-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Now prepare for the Pace is overrated posts.
Im suprised we were looking at spending this type of money myself

New York Jets have agreed to a six-year, $42 million deal with DE/LB Calvin Pace.
Pace, a five-year Arizona Cardinals veteran. began his career as a defensive end before moving to linebacker in a 3-4 front in 2007.
Pace will receive a $20 million signing bonus, with $22 million of the deal guaranteed.
He chose between offers from the Dolphins and Jets

JBinSD
03-03-2008, 04:11 PM

OMG. This BLOWS.

X-Pacolypse
03-03-2008, 04:12 PM
He got what he wanted, let him go, and let's get back to work.

MiamiDolfan85
we draft Shawn Crable at 2b baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

nyjunc
Hey you guys can have him. BTW aren't you guys in enough cap hell without overpaying for a 1 year of production? How much money do you have?

Obviously we are not in cap hell if we are signing all of these guys and now if gthe Robertson trade goes through we get $8 mil more in cap room.

resnor
How much cap do the Jets have left now? I don't see how they are going to be able to sign their draft picks...

nick1
they overpayed to keep him from us

nyjunc
03-03-2008, 04:13 PM
They reported Jenkins was getting $20 mil guaranteed but the real # is actually $9.5 mil so hopefully they are incorrect w/ the guaranteed # again.

BleedinGreenNC
03-03-2008, 04:13 PM
they overpayed to keep him from us

Thats it, we didnt have a need to fill at all.:rolleyes:

noyz
03-03-2008, 04:14 PM
NOOO WTF..after all this waiting he signs with the freaking Jets!! Oh well atleast now we'll get Chris Long.

Vertical Limit
Thank god. I sure as hell would not pay that much for him when he's only had one decent season and we have soo many other needs.

ATVZ400
wow!!!! the jets payed a lot of money on 2 free agents plus the trade....

phinzfan21
03-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Pace would've been nice to have...
but the Jets are overpaying for a (so far) one-hit-wonder.
I say a guy needs to prove more before you reward him so much.

Vertical Limit
Thats it, we didnt have a need to fill at all.:rolleyes:
Good for you all, if you guys think he's worth the investment, fine. But we have so many other needs to invest that much money.

NyPhan23
bah

alen1
03-03-2008, 04:16 PM
All that BS about loving it here, kiss my u no what Calvin. Officially despise you.

Stefins
03-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Mark my words. Giving that much $$$ will come back and haunt the jets....

We will get the last laugh.

noyz
03-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Someone please tell me how much cap the Jets have..they have to sign their draft pick which is 7 overall? He probably won't get the money he wants and he will be a holdout and I believe they won't be able to sign their 2nd round picks and so on..they won' even have enough money for more FA's..unless they pull even more money out of their ***.

dlockz
Thank god. I sure as hell would not pay that much for him when he's only had one decent season and we have soo many other needs.

Well Parcells and Ireland seemed quite hot for him.

NyPhan23
hopefully now we can get back to work

Mari0k
22 guaranteed?
haha
i hope he will spend them well
cuz ronnie gonna run his ssa over ;D

ATVZ400
who do we look at now??

alen1
Brandon will blow up in ....5.......4.......3........2........1.......

cangri one
03-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Wasted my entire weekend on this idiot, checkin to see if he signed and he signs with the JETS. What a freakin piece of crap, screw him lol.

beck2ginn4TD
Pace would of been great for us, but he is not even close to good enough for that kind of money. Id rather have a young and talented Chris Long.

alen1
who do we look at now??

Look for Blackstock to sign.

Mile High Fin
Bummer....

Obviously, we wanted him...

Makes me think that we offered about $20M (same as Joey Porter), which is why NYJ offered $22M....

Bartowboy
03-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Oh well.I bet he will be rethinking signing with the Jets when Ronnie Brown lays him on his back one good time.

fishypete
03-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Wondering where all that cap money is coming from...the deal with Robertson hasn't be completed yet...yet they keep signing players.

Trade not official...The trade between the Jets and Bengals is on hold (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2008/03/robertsons-agent-not-ready-to.html)until a contract agreement between the Bengals and Robertson is reached according to his agent Hadley Engelhard.

dolfanchris
03-03-2008, 04:20 PM
yes joey porter did play well last season .. honeslty i would be pleased if we didnt sign pace to a $20 million contract ... we'd be better off drafting a guy and playing him and not wasting that money on a player who only played well on a contract year!

Dolfan3773
darn it, but def. not worth $20 mil guaranteed

Etuoo33
Seems to me he might be a one hit wonder. I'm glad we saved the money.We already have a lot of money in LB's ( counting #99).

Paiva10
obviously hes not playing with the jets for the love of playing for that city, just wants the money screw him wasn't a big need anways.

G-Force
Obviously we are not in cap hell if we are signing all of these guys and now if gthe Robertson trade goes through we get $8 mil more in cap room.I don't know. That deal you gave Jenkins and the player you are already overpaying you are getting awful close. Looks like you guys are trying to load up for a 1 year run IMO.

nick1
03-03-2008, 04:21 PM
we didn't need him that bad we are loaded at OLB really, I think he will be a solid player maybe even a star but we are fine at OLB, just more money to sign more needed areas

finfan54
I knew yesterday he was a jet. Jets are stupid. they will get talked up now but when the season hits, they will still be average to bad. wait and see...I laugh at this. incredible! The New York Salary Caps! They must have a learned a thing or two dealing with Washington these past few years! LOL!

RalphX19X
Bring on Chris Long :up:

GreenMachine
Wondering where all that cap money is coming from...the deal with Robinson hasn't be completed yet...yet they keep signing players.

They had 40 mil in cap space BEFORE the FA period. Trading Vilma and releasing McCareins freed up more space. And when they trade D-Slob, that frees up another 9 mil.:woot:

U-M_all_day
would've been nice in the line up but not for that cash.......good luck with the j-e-t-s

Roth's Wrath
I was trying to see a depth chart on our front 7 but can't find one, a recent one, I know that Mccown was announced as a 2nd stringer, is there a depth chart out?

noyz
Parcells now has a load of money and not many big name FA's left...I want to see a trade for Hall or Huff =]

dolphinator86
03-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Dont worry now we get to see DOWN TOWN RONNIE BROWN run him over like he did with Huff last year. And we may get to see it more than once WOOHOO

HEDAZHELAS24
yea we need to get a OT or LB, trade JT for a 2nd and 4th, and draft a CB WR QB and a Long with the number one overall

alen1
Oh well.I bet he will be rethinking signing with the Jets when Ronnie Brown lays him on his back one good time.

It would be great to see Ronnie do what he did to Ward of the Raiders.

Canadianfishfan
03-03-2008, 04:23 PM
I kinda had a feeling we werent going to sign him once he left south florida..

Thats a lot of money for Pace. I don't mind losing him considering the money he's getting. I think this almost guarantees J.Taylor will stay in Miami.

jay-rich
Yeah it kind of reminds me of the Raiders signing of Thomas Kelly...I hate the JETS I wanted him but not for that much money!!!

elandre
Bring on Chris Long :up:

Amen ! Brotha MAN !

Screw the Jets ! They can keep him

BillsFanInPeace
03-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Like all these cap smart people know. IF you want a player you will find a way to make the Cap work

jazz
03-03-2008, 04:26 PM
we draft Shawn Crable at 2b baby!!!!!!!!!!!!
yes!

phinfan40353
03-03-2008, 04:27 PM
They reported Jenkins was getting $20 mil guaranteed but the real # is actually $9.5 mil so hopefully they are incorrect w/ the guaranteed # again.

Well then, you are going to LOVE this...

Pace will receive a $20 million signing bonus, with $22 million of the deal guaranteed.

How do you like your Pace deal now?

$20M signing bonus. WAY TO GO, J-E-T-S BLOW! :D

SQuinn17
hes alright but def not worth that kind of money. 22 mil guaranteed to someone who has never even made the pro bowl? what a croc!

rainmaker1313
Pace is a disgrace and may he fall on his big fat face

elandre
03-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Who knows but Pace and Gholston OLB combo would be a pritty sick.

Lets just hope Pace was a 1 year wonder :rolleyes2:

igor79
03-03-2008, 04:29 PM
wow. at least now maybe we will keep JT. the Jets seem to be spending insane amounts of money... let's just hope they enter cap hell some time in the near future...

Smoke
Let them have him. Thats a ridiculous contract. Assuming JT comes back, we won't need him anyhow. Not to mention the draft is coming. I'm starting to get worried about our division. The Bills get Stroud and Mitchell, the Jests get Jenkins, Faneca, and Pace, and the Pats are re-signing Moss. I have a feeling that next season will be another rough one for the Fins.

phinfan40353
Like all these cap smart people know. IF you want a player you will find a way to make the Cap work

Then you land in cap hell.

It should be an easy place to find on the map.... it's between Washington and New York.

:sidelol:

dlockz
03-03-2008, 04:30 PM

So we are going to knock the Jets for signing a guy that we were going to spend plenty on. So if we had signed him to a slightly lower contract we would be geniuses but the Jets are being stupid OKay then.

angry dolfan
03-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Pace who? $20+ mill guaranteed? For someone I never heard of before Friday.:lol:

Good job Jets:up:

Crowda
For all we know it was a ploy for us to court him so a division rival would over pay. The Jets will be screwed next season.

TheBow305
Thank God... I was getting nervous we might get him! :)

adamprez2003
03-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I think the Dolphins just gained by staying on the sideline here. 22 million guaranteed is ridiculous. Go after Clark Haggans and if not we got some interesting prospects in the draft. Chris Long, Bruce Davis, Kehl, etc

Dfan06
I don't really care let them overpay for him. I am one of the people that would like to see Quentin Moses gets his opportunity right from the start.

Fin-omenal
Wow!! Im glad we didnt pay that much up front for him, theres not many LB's who should warrant that kinda $$....

He may play well in NY, but I doubt he will live up to that contract.

phinfan40353
03-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Let them have him. Thats a ridiculous contract. Assuming JT comes back, we won't need him anyhow. Not to mention the draft is coming. I'm starting to get worried about our division. The Bills get Stroud and Mitchell, the Jests get Jenkins, Faneca, and Pace, and the Pats are re-signing Moss. I have a feeling that next season will be another rough one for the Fins.

It's a "lose the battle... win the war" thing.

They're all overpaying right now.

It's like a few articles on the net have said recently.... Rule #1 in Free Agency: Keep your own.

Frankly, we're in great cap shape and we have a boat load of draft picks. We've spent wisely in FA and filled some huge holes. It's the perfect recipe to be able to KEEP our own FA's when that day comes in 2 - 4 years.

If we overspend now, we'll not be able to spend later.

We're doing fine. Nothing to worry about.

I think Plan B will do fine: Chris Long.

smith
hes alright but def not worth that kind of money. 22 mil guaranteed to someone who has never even made the pro bowl? what a croc!
Scr-w you liar!!!!!! You will pay for messing with Parrcells. I do hate the Jets!!!

BleedinGreenNC
A couple of days agao Pace was walking on water on this board, now he is a 1 year wonder? Who knows, he may not pan out, but maybe he will, i am just happy we are being aggressive!:woot:

HaRdKoReXXX
I posted earlier Mangenius is on the hot-seat for last years "crap the bed" season. He's mortgaging the teams future to try and put together a contender now. Let em blow there cap all to hell.

tpn21
03-03-2008, 04:37 PM
who do we look at now??

I think they should just keep taylor, porter , torbor and crowder , maybe draft a guy and worry about OLINE. Need a lot there still i think. we should sing jake long and not chris. We need a SOLID LT to hopefully protect beck and not that other *** clown we just got. I hope parcells is smart enough to be open to a real QB competition and not just name a guy cuz he has had more starts. Beck could be the real deal and they are just wasting his development by not giving him a chance. I really liked what i saw in that last game from him. Extremely accurate he is. Even in those picks he threw against NY>

:hi5:

noyz
Now I think you can bet Chrs Long is the pick and I am so happy that will happen

slipperysoap
Wow he was overated anyway. Playing for the Cardinals against weak competition. I did not want him anyway. We are better off just drafting our own player.

phinphever
03-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Thank God we didn't over pay. LOL the jets cap is screwed!! They are nuts to pay him that much. This will come back to bite them.

CitizenSnips
03-03-2008, 04:39 PM
22 million for pace....

wow. lets see, thats just over 3 million per sack he got last year.

Canadianfishfan

Well my first thought is that we're rebuilding.. my second thought is that we didn't sign all the 'name guys'.. or the top free agent players. And you know what, thats ok. There are guys on the Dolphins, Jets, Bills, and Pats, whom we never heard of that are going to make plays. Yea, I don't mind signing any player for the right price. And every player has the right to go after his money. We've still got a pretty good player in JT who is more than a one year wonder. This says to me he stays. Or perhaps we get Long through the draft. Congrats to the Jets, I hope he worth every penny. But let's not cry over spilled milk. We have a pretty darn good DE on our team. You win some you lose some. we've done pretty good this weekend.

Alright... NEXT!

Mr772
So we are going to knock the Jets for signing a guy that we were going to spend plenty on. So if we had signed him to a slightly lower contract we would be geniuses but the Jets are being stupid OKay then.

I for one am glad we didn't get him for that kind of money. He was a good player last year but in no way is he worth that kind of cash. The Jets are desperate for some talent as we are but the are way over spending for players in FA. It looks like Dan Snyder is running the jets as of late.

In the 15mil range he what he should have gotten. But good for him in getting as much as he could get, there is another sucker born everyday. I'm just glad we have a real FO these days. Because we used to be the suckers.

BIG_FISH_RI
WOW
I liked the guy and was looking for him to be a fish
I guess the money and possible position change really got mattered to the guy.
42 mil with a 20 mil SB

the Jets are reaching.

SR 7
03-03-2008, 04:40 PM

EXACTLY! THIS IS A DOLPHISN FORUM FULL OF HOMERS AND SORE LOSERS!

Its a guy WE WANTED and were WILLING TO PAY just b/c we got outbid 2 mill or what not it doesnt make us look ne better. We were willing to give lets say 20 mill he got 22 and we are smart they are stuipd? o plz. get real. We wanted him really badly and we didnt give it up take in the pain it sucks im sad i really wanted him and thats that.

now we have to deal with Faneca, Jenkins AND pace. good to know. while they haev to worry about a 33 yr old Ferg Crowder (lmaoo) and a complete left side WE DONT HAVE on our line.

Jackson
Wow. Overpaid for him and glad we didn't. Next

SQuinn17
Scr-w you liar!!!!!! You will pay for messing with Parrcells. I do hate the Jets!!! dude what r u talkin about? u better watch how u talk to ppl on here too rookie!

RothFan
03-03-2008, 04:41 PM
See ya Pace..... Should of taken the fins offer, cause your not going anywhere.

finfan54
03-03-2008, 04:42 PM
I think the Dolphins just gained by staying on the sideline here. 22 million guaranteed is ridiculous. Go after Clark Haggans and if not we got some interesting prospects in the draft. Chris Long, Bruce Davis, Kehl, etc

agreed. The friggin jets! :lol::lol:

The new Washington Redskins.

phinfan40353
03-03-2008, 04:43 PM

No, we are knocking the Jets for giving a $20M signing bonus to a one year wonder. Big difference between $22M gauranteed and $20M signing bonus paid all at once. That's a huge chunk of change paid for non-Pro Bowl player.

$20M in signing bonus means that money is GONE. It's not a massaging of the books. That money is physically GONE.

And another thing, antogonizing a Jets fan as a member of the Dolphins board is all fun and games. However, attacking a fellow Dolphin fan on the same board is a different issue. Especially when it's obvious, with an emoticon, that I was joking and jesting in good fun.

No need for the attack. Ease up.

Canadianfishfan
03-03-2008, 04:43 PM

New York Jets have agreed to a six-year, $42 million deal with DE/LB Calvin Pace.
Pace, a five-year Arizona Cardinals veteran. began his career as a defensive end before moving to linebacker in a 3-4 front in 2007.

It's not about being overrated, its about over paying. And if we signed him for that much.. then you may hear about overrated.

But hey, thats free agency!

finfan54
03-03-2008, 04:44 PM
and another thing..they are going to get Gholsten now in the draft and pay him big $???

OMG! what was there salary cap 5 days ago?

u know what they are doing? just like the bills when they traded people for other people and called it an upgrade but still put them in cap hell in the process and they still stunk!

They trade Vilma for Pace and Robertson for Jenkins...yippee! your the great MANGENIUS!:lol:

dlockz
03-03-2008, 04:45 PM
It's not about being overrated, its about over paying. And if we signed him for that much.. then you may hear about overrated.

But hey, thats free agency!

You know we did not offer much less, so lets not act like the Jets are idiots since we probably only lost out by maybe a couple million.

Vertical Limit
He is overrated on this board atleast. He's good, but not great, to invest so much money on him when we have so many other needs. He's not worth 22 million guarantee, even Briggs didn't get that much guarantee money and he got around 10 million less.

Let's start looking at defensive backs. Fabian Washington may be available by trade, and even Michael Huff.

ticophin
Most of us did want him IMO, but not by compromising our cap on a single, good, but yet somewhat unproven player...We will have e few good options in the 3rd round, maybe even in the 2nd if someone falls....so no reason to get frustrated, we are still in good shape and in the right direction

Phinsfan210
Where are the jets pulling this money from?

alen1
03-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Rotoworld's take on New York's big signing.............

"We love Pace's potential, but this is insane money for a player that's had one legitimately good season. The Dolphins and Cardinals weren't going to go this high. Pace will likely play weak outside linebacker in New York opposite LOLB Bryan Thomas. He could approach double digit sacks at that position."

Bonedoc7777
you have to have sanity with the cap, the jets think they are closer then us, so they need to pay more, that is ok, spend wisely and build

elandre
You tell em !
Jets SUCK SUCK SUCK !

Dont worry ill put Cash that Chris long puts up more sacks than Pace ! :woot:

BIG_FISH_RI
I just called my buddy and told him to get a message to Pace and tell him MIami said F*&^K um!!

brandon1986
03-03-2008, 04:49 PM
pace can go **** himself as far as i am concerned
i wanted him but i said in the 14-15 million range, but 20 million guaranteed and 22 million in signing bonus is crazy for a rebuilding team

pace will not be a one hit wonder he is a very good football player, but the jets think they can compete now, and if all these moves backfire they will be sitting with the patriots in a couple of years at the bottom while we and the bills are rising and fighting it out for the afc east title in a couple of years

bring in someone who wants to be a dolphin, draft chris long or gholston or maybe jake long add them with what we got and make a kick *** team

BillsFanInPeace
Then you land in cap hell.

It should be an easy place to find on the map.... it's between Washington and New York.

:sidelol:

Nah not really not the way that the cap is going up every year.

These are good signings for them

Pace got paid, guess what that happens to young talents in FA.

One signing they did go overboard was the Faneca Deal IMO

Jets Fan
Thank God we didn't over pay. LOL the jets cap is screwed!! They are nuts to pay him that much. This will come back to bite them.

After all these contracts, the Jets still have about $20M in cap space. Everyone knows Tannenbaum is probably the best cap guy in the NFL, just ask Tuna.

Our cap will be fine. But keep thinking we're the AFC's Redskins. :kick:

MiamiDolfan85
i think i speak for all of us when i say....

"We'd love to have him...but it didn't work out.And hope the Jets benefit his impact"

But I think MIA will live....

adamprez2003
anyone think clark haggans might be a dolphin now

Crazysimon
03-03-2008, 04:51 PM
I knew this was coming, never thought he was signing here, where do we turn now though

Vertical Limit
03-03-2008, 04:51 PM
A couple of days agao Pace was walking on water on this board, now he is a 1 year wonder? Who knows, he may not pan out, but maybe he will, i am just happy we are being aggressive!:woot:
I wanted him, for the right price. You can search all my posts, I was not all for throwing anything more than 10 million in guarantee on Pace [compared to Briggs], and when people were saying 20 million, that kind of scared me away and I didn't want him anymore. He's not worth the money, for our team.

The Jets has a different blue print. You are not rooting for a 1-15 team last I remember, so you would know that we would be going through HELL if we invested that much on this one player when we obviously have this #1 overall pick who may flirt with 30 million in guarantee and SOO many other needs.

dlockz
03-03-2008, 04:52 PM
No, we are knocking the Jets for giving a $20M signing bonus to a one year wonder. Big difference between $22M gauranteed and $20M signing bonus paid all at once. That's a huge chunk of change paid for non-Pro Bowl player.

$20M in signing bonus means that money is GONE. It's not a massaging of the books. That money is physically GONE.

And another thing, antogonizing a Jets fan as a member of the Dolphins board is all fun and games. However, attacking a fellow Dolphin fan on the same board is a different issue. Especially when it's obvious, with an emoticon, that I was joking and jesting in good fun.

I did not attack you, I was just using your post as an example. We were basically giving Pace similar money, he chose the jets over us and I'm not really upset. I think way too much money is being spent on guys that have done too little.

brandon1986
03-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Rotoworld's take on New York's big signing.............

"We love Pace's potential, but this is insane money for a player that's had one legitimately good season. The Dolphins and Cardinals weren't going to go this high. Pace will likely play weak outside linebacker in New York opposite LOLB Bryan Thomas. He could approach double digit sacks at that position."

like i said i wanted pace, and i said if we didnt get him i would be disappointed, but i also said nothing is going to stop me from being happy about the future of the dolphins and the direction we are going which is up

the money actually makes me less angry, i think it was good for bill and co to walk away, we keep all that money to do something with

the jets are throwing all there chips into the middle of the table and it could backfire big time

209Mason
03-03-2008, 04:53 PM
You know we did not offer much less, so lets not act like the Jets are idiots since we probably only lost out by maybe a couple million.

Yeah I'm not sure... The last number I saw us offer (that was an ACTUAL offer, not a rumor) was $15 million guaranteed... that's $7 million (nearly 50 percent of our offer) less than what the Jets signed him for at $22 million.

I don't think you'll find a lot of "OVERRATED" threads, because lots of people on here wanted him... but I'm sure you'll see "OVERPAID" threads. He made more than Lance Briggs, AND that's based on one good year. I REALLY wish we would have gotten him, but not at $22 million gauranteed. If he would have signed our offer, I'd gladly welcome him with open arms, but for that big of a cap hit.

I'd much rather pay that money to say... Chris Long, if we get stuck at the #1 pick.

Dolfan1000
03-03-2008, 04:53 PM
My hunch was right. A lot of money, but I would have given it to him.

Oh well, at least we can move on!

Phinsfan210
03-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Im not going to lie, this bums me out but I agree, 22 mil. guarenteed is way to much. Jets overpaid big time.

Crazysimon
03-03-2008, 04:55 PM
They are making good moves and i think that they are placing themselves second in the division quite easily. I am not for signing all the big names, but it would be nice to get a known instant impact player. Just one. Oh well, maybe we'll do something, whos left out there though. We arent really showing intrest in anyone else.

FriendofBill
03-03-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm kind of relieved actually. Pace was the one potential I felt uncomfortable with (given the money), and this isn't hindsight ... said so in a thread a few days ago. Pace really has done absolutely nothing in his career ... 6.5 sacks a career high, and 2.5 of those came in one game where he padded his totals against a horrible Jeff Backus. The Dolphins are not in dire straights at the OLB with JT, Porter and possibly Chris Long (I believe it's also the likely position for Matt Roth), they didn't need to make a desperate move there.

I'll be more than happy if they spend that money on Blaystock and sign Maurice Williams to fill a starting OL spot (and have plenty left over).

BleedinGreenNC
03-03-2008, 04:57 PM
and another thing..they are going to get Gholsten now in the draft and pay him big $???

OMG! what was there salary cap 5 days ago?

u know what they are doing? just like the bills when they traded people for other people and called it an upgrade but still put them in cap hell in the process and they still stunk!

They trade Vilma for Pace and Robertson for Jenkins...yippee! your the great MANGENIUS!:lol:

Vilma was traded for conditional picks, Robertson deal hasnt gone through yet.

Cap hell how? Dont you understand these things are thought through before it is offered to the FA's?

LVphinfan
03-03-2008, 04:58 PM
I just called my buddy and told him to get a message to Pace and tell him MIami said F*&^K um!!
This situation reminds me of Damion Woody a few years ago. Came here loved the miami area, was wined and dined by Wanye H., we gave him a really good offer and he up and leaves for chicago without signing a contract.Then winds up signing there instead. It's all about the money now days. I like others on this board are just wondering where the jests are getting all this money to sign everyone? And D. Woody supposed to sign for 20 mill as well? Humm...At least it looks like JT is going to stay and that still pumps me up.We'll see how it all plays out after the draft.

BleedinGreenNC
03-03-2008, 04:59 PM
I wanted him, for the right price. You can search all my posts, I was not all for throwing anything more than 10 million in guarantee on Pace [compared to Briggs], and when people were saying 20 million, that kind of scared me away and I didn't want him anymore. He's not worth the money, for our team.

The Jets has a different blue print. You are not rooting for a 1-15 team last I remember, so you would know that we would be going through HELL if we invested that much on this one player when we obviously have this #1 overall pick who may flirt with 30 million in guarantee and SOO many other needs.

Very true, but remember, 3 plays that are different for us last season and we are right there with you at 1-15!

Nappy Roots
03-03-2008, 04:59 PM
they also signed Damien Woody for 5 years 25 million today. not sure the gauranteed. but jets arent messing around. go big or go home i guess.

Orlando
03-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Thank God The Tuna Doesn't Over Pay!!!!
Wanny Would Have Gave Him 40 Mill As A Signing Bonus Then Somehow Give Arizona Draft Picks For A Free Agent

mindstate
Tannenbaum is a cap genius, and worked his *** off the past few years getting the Jets cap in order. I wouldn't hold out too much hope that the Jets cap is being screwed over by these signings.

LVphinfan
:err::up:
This situation reminds me of Damion Woody a few years ago. Came here loved the miami area, was wined and dined by Wanye H., we gave him a really good offer and he up and leaves for chicago without signing a contract.Then winds up signing there instead. It's all about the money now days. I like others on this board are just wondering where the jests are getting all this money to sign everyone? And D. Woody supposed to sign for 20 mill as well? Humm...At least it looks like JT is going to stay and that still pumps me up.We'll see how it all plays out after the draft.:err:

FinAtic8480
Woody just signed for 25 mill, and look im sorry but the money they threw at Pace it is sick for a guy that before this season was 1st round bust. Wish him the best can wait to kick his *** on Sundays.

phinphever
03-03-2008, 05:01 PM
I never said I wanted him. He would be ok but not for 22 mill guaranteed with a 20 mill signing bonus. That is insane money. I was against porter getting 20 mill guaranteed but at least he had a record as a probowler. Pace Hosed us by using us to get more money. That's more than enough reason to hate the guy. Don't tell me how I should feel about some homer jerk talking us up getting our some peoples hopes up and then signing with one of our arch rivals. The Jets suck suck suck. They will regret this when they are in salary cap hell. It's clear Mangini wants to win now.

alen1
03-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Got this from Stefin's post and off of PFT. ......

"One league source expressed to us in the wake of the signings of Woody, Calvin Pace, and Alan Faneca and the trade and new contract for defensive tackle Kris Jenkins that these moves smack of desperation by a coaching staff and a front office that fear a rash of pink slips if the green and white don't win a lot of games in 2008."

Dolphins11
03-03-2008, 05:03 PM
I never said I wanted him. He would be ok but not for 22 mill guaranteed with a 20 mill signing bonus. That is insane money. I was against porter getting 20 mill guaranteed but at least he had a record as a probowler. Pace Hosed us by using us to get more money. That's more than enough reason to hate the guy. Don't tell me how I should feel about some homer jerk talking us up getting our some peoples hopes up and then signing with one of our arch rivals. The Jets suck suck suck. They will regret this when they are in salary cap hell. It's clear Mangini wants to win now.

Thats one way to look ast it, OR you could say we hosed the jets because we made them overpay!

SabanHater
03-03-2008, 05:05 PM
why would you want to play for the Jets?

Aqua and Orange
03-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Thank goodness we didn't spend that much. Maybe if he had TWO good years it would be worth it.

The guy was rated the #3 best LB this free agency by The Sporting News, so paying him like he was far and away the best is risking too much on potential.

Also, toss in the money the Jets spent on that helicopter ride! ;)

SabanHater
03-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Wanny Would Have Gave Him 40 Mill As A Signing Bonus Then Somehow Give Arizona Draft Picks For A Free Agent
:lol:

TorontoFin
03-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Just read this. Wow. I'm disappointed, but they can have have him for that money. That contract is wayy bigger than Briggs', and the latter is a far more proven LB. With their recent contracts, the Jets are trying to win in the next two years. good luck. I'm not sure how they'll do that considering their Qbs and mediocre Rbs. I read a comment somewhere that all this actually pays off for the phins in the long-term. I agree. If the jets can't do anything with these players in the next couple years, they're simply F'ed long-term. We've seen this time and time again in the NFL ('94 fins and a handful of Skins teams come to mind). If it pays off quickly, great, if not, well, then, the Jets could be where we are now in a few years -- easy.

BlueFin
03-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Look. Pace had a good, not great, season last year, 22 million guaranteed is too much.

The Jets, like has been their norm since 1969, continue to be clueless.

Jenkins is a classic lazy player who only plays once in a while.

These are the types of reasons the Jets have the distinction displayed in my signature.

dlockz

If we had signed Pace we were overpaying also.

serventofchrist
dont get me wrong pace had a good year last year but his stats last year are not good enough to spend that kinda money on him. hes not worth that kinda risk. hes with jets....oh well. no sweat off my back. lets just put this behind us and focus on the matter at hand. nothing complaining or moaning is going to do to fix that he signed with them. the jets are not a big threat anyhow. they have a qb that still cant help but get injured every season.....they got jenkins from the panthers who as well is over paid...hes a beast when hes healthy but hes takes a regular vacation to injured reserve. pace isnt worth 20 mil at all. the only reason he was going to get that is because he was the best aviable in the free agency at this time. not because hes that good.

Green Ranger
03-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Chris Long.....welcome to miami :)

nyjunc
03-03-2008, 05:13 PM
I don't know. That deal you gave Jenkins and the player you are already overpaying you are getting awful close. Looks like you guys are trying to load up for a 1 year run IMO.

Jenkins got $9 mil guaranteed NOT $20 mil.

FriendofBill
03-03-2008, 05:13 PM
It's not so much about cap consequences, its about the fact that it's hard to put high dollar players in a reserve role or the bench. When you pay players that kind of money, they tend to stay on the field ... whether they're the best man for the job or not.

Pace's "breakout year" this year was 6.5 sacks ... 2.5 of those came in one game against the Lions. The Lions gave up more sacks than anyone in the NFL. They had a horrible Jeff Backus at left tackle, who was abused by everyone, and a year-long revolving door at right tackle. Pace had 4 sacks the remaining 15 games. He should have been paid as a borderline starter/reserve, not a superstar. Now they have to play him like every down player and settle for mediocrity from a key position in the 3-4 for the next three to four years.

Itsdahumidity
03-03-2008, 05:14 PM
they also signed Damien Woody for 5 years 25 million today. not sure the gauranteed. but jets arent messing around. go big or go home i guess.

11 milly.

For him?

FanMarino
03-03-2008, 05:15 PM
I wanted him but not at that price for a guy who wasnt top rated. Chris Long pick is looking big at this moment.

TorontoFin
03-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Look. Pace had a good, not great, season last year, 22 million guaranteed is too much.

These are the types of reasons the Jets have the distinction displayed in my signature.

Right. One pretty good -- not exactly great -- year in a CONTRACT year, does not deserve anywhere close to that money. No way. believe me, I wanted him. But this is actually a blessing in disguise.

Nappy Roots
03-03-2008, 05:17 PM

got to disagree with you on this one. before he blew out his knees, he was dominate every snap.

Phantom
03-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Lets hope he has a Joey Porter year.......

Phishpunk@WCU
03-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Jenkins is dominant at times and when he is healthy. With the addition of Pace definitely should help the Jets, but 22m guaranteed is too much. I thought the Dolphins offering 20m was nuts. He's a good not great player though, definitely not worth that kind of $

Lazy1
03-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Nah not really not the way that the cap is going up every year.

These are good signings for them

Pace got paid, guess what that happens to young talents in FA.

One signing they did go overboard was the Faneca Deal IMO

It will catch up to them, just like the cap is going up so are the players salaries especially with rookies that are high picks. Whoever they sign at 7 will be looking for 15 mil guaranteed range, that will be over $70 mil spend in one offseason.

maralieus
03-03-2008, 05:19 PM
WOOHOO!!! YEAH!!! The Jets way overpaid for him!! Hilarious!! I am so happy, I can't believe the Jets paid that much for him and I am so glad we didn't. I hope he makes the Jets look stupid. I can just see it now....Eric Mangini standing on the sidelines yelling "Hey, get out of there!! Panda jerk!!! You're making me look stupid!!

TorontoFin
03-03-2008, 05:20 PM
dont get me wrong pace had a good year last year but his stats last year are not good enough to spend that kinda money on him. hes not worth that kinda risk. hes with jets....oh well. no sweat off my back. lets just put this behind us and focus on the matter at hand. nothing complaining or moaning is going to do to fix that he signed with them. the jets are not a big threat anyhow. they have a qb that still cant help but get injured every season.....they got jenkins from the panthers who as well is over paid...hes a beast when hes healthy but hes takes a regular vacation to injured reserve. pace isnt worth 20 mil at all. the only reason he was going to get that is because he was the best aviable in the free agency at this time. not because hes that good.

All the jets have done is overpay this offseason. faneca is a great runblocker, but average pass blocker. i wouldn't exactly call him one of the all-round best linemen in the game, but he's being paid like it. They overpaid for jenkins, big time. and I'm actually astonished what they gave Pace. I wouldn't be suprised if they have damian woody 4 or 5 mill a year -- who was a complete as a big FA signing flop in Det.

Maybe, just maybe you could justify that strategy if you're like the Packers, jags, or cowboys, where you feel you're a few impact players away

Lungoystr
03-03-2008, 05:20 PM
They had 40 mil in cap space BEFORE the FA period. Trading Vilma and releasing McCareins freed up more space. And when they trade D-Slob, that frees up another 9 mil.:woot:

Unless they found some way to clear up 10 mil between 2/21 and 2/29, they were nowhere close to having 40 mil in cap space (much less the 49 mil you are claiming).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=62EDD222EE25524C90C1EBBEA8D290B1?id=09000d5d806c8fbb&template=with-video&confirm=true

nyjunc
03-03-2008, 05:21 PM

We are clueless yet are a year removed from 10 wins and a playoff berth while that team in Miami w/ a clue hasn't even competed for a playoff berth since '02, hasn't made the playoffs since '01 and hasn't won a playoff game since '00. :lol:

TorontoFin
Chris Long.....welcome to miami :)

:up: I'd be astonished if this wasn't the case.

phinfreak
Parcells makes Jets pay through the nose for one year wonder. Parcells magic people, magic.
Now the games begin at RB...OL are commonly found in later rounds, but McFadden is the bait...let the games begin!

G-Force
03-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Jenkins got $9 mil guaranteed NOT $20 mil.You guys just gave Damion Woody 11 mill gauranteed and 25.5 overall.:sidelol:

BleedinGreenNC
03-03-2008, 05:22 PM
why would you want to play for the Jets?

Why would you want to play for the Dolphins?

maralieus
03-03-2008, 05:23 PM
One of the highest paid LB's in NFL history???!!! HA!! HA!! I hope he doesn't prove me worng but man right now it's funny to me. Thats like Ray Lewis money.

nyjunc
03-03-2008, 05:24 PM
All the jets have done is overpay this offseason. faneca is a great runblocker, but average pass blocker. i wouldn't exactly call him one of the all-round best linemen in the game, but he's being paid like it. They overpaid for jenkins, big time. and I'm actually astonished what they gave Pace. I wouldn't be suprised if they have damian woody 4 or 5 mill a year -- who was a complete as a big FA signing flop in Det.

Maybe, just maybe you could justify that strategy if you're like the Packers, jags, or cowboys, where you feel you're a few impact players away

Faneca is an elite G, Woody is an upgrade. Our Ol goes from being a major weakness to a major strength.

On D we got the space eater we needed in the middle, we pair Pace w/ a big time young ILB in david Harris, we have a shutdown corner and a top S. If we get decent QB play this year we'll win double digit games again.

How did the Jets overpay for jenkins big time? He got $9.5 mil guaranteed. That's very little in the World of the NFL.

TorontoFin
03-03-2008, 05:25 PM
We are clueless yet are a year removed from 10 wins and a playoff berth while that team in Miami w/ a clue hasn't even competed for a playoff berth since '02, hasn't made the playoffs since '01 and hasn't won a playoff game since '00. :lol:

...so you've reduced to bragging about 1 playoff in nearly a decade and "competing for a playoff berth 6 years ago. wow, I'm glad you set such a high standard for your team. But considering the jets history making the playoffs in the last 30 years I guess you could be forgiven for aiming so low...

alen1
03-03-2008, 05:25 PM

Could have sworn we went 9-7 with Satan at the helm a couple years ago and competed for a playoff birth by reeling off six straight wins to end the regular season.

nyjunc
03-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Parcells makes Jets pay through the nose for one year wonder. Parcells magic people, magic.
Now the games begin at RB...OL are commonly found in later rounds, but McFadden is the bait...let the games begin!

There's no scuh thing as Parcells magic when he's a GM. He is turning over chairs in his office right now losing out on Pace.

nyjunc
03-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Could have sworn we went 9-7 with Satan at the helm a couple years ago and competed for a playoff birth by reeling off six straight wins to end the regular season.

You went 9-7 but you were never in the playoff race.

...so you've reduced to bragging about 1 playoff in nearly a decade and "competing for a playoff berth 6 years ago. wow, I'm glad you set such a high standard for your team. But considering the jets history making the playoffs in the last 30 years I guess you could be forgiven for aiming so low...

I am not bargging about anything(and we've been to the playoffs THREE times since your last trip), I am merely bringing you guys back to reality when you make fun of the Jets.

TorontoFin
03-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Faneca is an elite G, Woody is an upgrade. Our Ol goes from being a major weakness to a major strength.

On D we got the space eater we needed in the middle, we pair Pace w/ a big time young ILB in david Harris, we have a shutdown corner and a top S. If we get decent QB play this year we'll win double digit games again.

How did the Jets overpay for jenkins big time? He got $9.5 mil guaranteed. That's very little in the World of the NFL.

faneca is an elite runblocker, let's just leave it at that. I hope you like that contract in two years when he's 34 and you're still a 7-win team. You ovverpaid for both him and pace -- bigtime.

maralieus
03-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Which the Jets most certainly are not. They are almost as bad as us and thats a real harsh insult right now.

Taysia
03-03-2008, 05:31 PM
The jets pay way to much money for him....We have more holes to fill jets was just in the playoffs a few years ago they are in better shape than us...I wish we could have signed him but not for that much..NO LETS GO GET SOME GEMS FROM THE DRAFT!!!!!!!

Vertical Limit
03-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Very true, but remember, 3 plays that are different for us last season and we are right there with you at 1-15!
You guys just had a share of bad luck, we we're just embarrassing. I picked the Jets to make the Wild Card last season. A solid line with D'Brick and Mangold that got even better with Faneca, and your quarterback play was pretty bad with Chad but Clemens looked good and has a future.

Now you guys made some solid signings. I mean, IMO, as disgusting as it sounds to me, if Clemens can come out strong and solid, it may not be too crazy to think of the Jets as contenders.

maralieus
03-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Wait why is there even a Jets fan allowed in here?? Where are the moderators at?? He needs to be removed immediately. But hey at least he will probably agree with ut on one thing....Pats fans are the worst.

Lenny
03-03-2008, 05:34 PM
I just can't see paying a $20M signing bonus to a linebacker who isn't named Ray Lewis or Shawn Merriman.

We could have used Pace, but if you pay filet mignon prices for ground chuck you'll end up broke in a hurry.

Mangini probably thinks he has to make the playoffs this year to keep his job, so he's being overly aggressive and overpaying for guys to make sure he gets there IMO.

nyjunc
You guys just gave Damion Woody 11 mill gauranteed and 25.5 overall.:sidelol:

25.5 mil is meaningless, it's the guaranteed # that is important and 11 mil is not overpaying for a quality OL. it's basically the same deal you paid for Smiley.

VAMIADOLFAN90
we should get jake long to put calvin pace on his *** on sunday mornings

Dolfan1000
03-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Why does this have to be a Jets vs Dolphins thread? Seriously. I mean really, neither team has been very good as of late. Its the truth. Pace signed with the Jets, many would argue they overpaid, and if the Fins had signed him to that contract, many of you would be saying how we overpaid. So lets not pretend as though Fin fans are unique in that regards; flip the situation, and it would have been the same.

Im disappointed we didnt get him, but Im relieved we have some closure and can move on with the rest of our plan.

TorontoFin
03-03-2008, 05:35 PM
You went 9-7 but you were never in the playoff race.

I am not bargging about anything(and we've been to the playoffs THREE times since your last trip), I am merely bringing you guys back to reality when you make fun of the Jets.

Actually you were bragging, at least in comparison to the dolphins. I'm ashamed of our recent records, and so should you. So you have 1 Po appearance. wow. what has it done for you? Nothing. 1 win, 4 wins 7 wins. It all means s--t in the end. No one except you and me is ever going to remember if Mia or Ny had a better last 10 years. So my point stands. Your recent acquisitions give you a better chance in the next couple years to do something significant. But considering your other skill positions, I wouldn't count on it. In 5 years, my guess is the fins will be in far better shape

Yessir
03-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Homerism aside, I love the the Faneca and Jenkins deal for the Jets. Those are two elite players at their posisitons...

But the Pace Deal is completly retarded. Thank god Ireland and Parcells balked at that...

cnc66
03-03-2008, 05:37 PM
25.5 mil is meaningless, it's the guaranteed # that is important and 11 mil is not overpaying for a quality OL. it's basically the same deal you paid for Smiley.

I think you guys have done good.. and please know I hate that, but I think you guys might seriously contend for the division this year.

TorontoFin
Why would you want to play for the Dolphins?

for the same reason the fins can compel a non-fan to take the time to make 3,000 posts on a dolphins site. If you care that much, I would imagine others find this franchise somewhat interesting..

COMEBACKRICKY
There's no scuh thing as Parcells magic when he's a GM. He is turning over chairs in his office right now losing out on Pace.

No, I bet he doesnt care. If he REALLY wanted Pace that bad, he would have just upped his offer a bit. It only came down to money for Pace and thats something we have a lot of, but choose to spend it more wisely.

nyjunc
03-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by TorontoFin

Keep in mind in 2006 we were BETTER than all 3 of those teams by the end of that season. Things change quickly in this league.

faneca is an elite runblocker, let's just leave it at that. I hope you like that contract in two years when he's 34 and you're still a 7-win team. You ovverpaid for both him and pace -- bigtime.

if those #s are correct we definitely overpaid for those players but we are alot better today than we were last week. We have plenty of cap room w/ more becoming available when Robertson is traded.

I just can't see paying a $20M signing bonus to a linebacker who isn't named Ray Lewis or Shawn Merriman.

We could have used Pace, but if you pay filet mignon prices for ground chuck you'll end up broke in a hurry.

Mangini probably thinks he has to make the playoffs this year to keep his job, so he's being overly aggressive and overpaying for guys to make sure he gets there IMO.

You guys paid $20 mil for a declining Joey Porter.

finfan54
03-03-2008, 05:40 PM

so you have upgraded? is that your point? you just overpaid for a one hit wonderboy. Vilma was a good player for you. so now how is everyone else on the team going to react to this new guy comin in for a boatload of cash and their boy is in NO?

You see, there is a whole lot more to this game called football and just like we screwed up with Porter last year, this one will bite you in the ***. And I am sorry, but jenkins is not going to be all that for you over the next few years. Just wait when reality hits. He will make some plays, but then fade. Thats how the big money works....

But I am happy for you guys if it makes you happy:hi5:whatever!:lol:

nyjunc
03-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Actually you were bragging, at least in comparison to the dolphins. I'm ashamed of our recent records, and so should you. So you have 1 Po appearance. wow. what has it done for you? Nothing. 1 win, 4 wins 7 wins. It all means s--t in the end. No one except you and me is ever going to remember if Mia or Ny had a better last 10 years. So my point stands. Your recent acquisitions give you a better chance in the next couple years to do something significant. But considering your other skill positions, I wouldn't count on it. In 5 years, my guess is the fins will be in far better shape

We have THREE since your last postseason appearance. of course the Phins will be in far better shaoe, you guys are supposed to be better every year and now you have the great GM Bill Parcells running the show. I hope we can cover the spread against you guys as we have no shot to beat you:rolleyes:

No, I bet he doesnt care. If he REALLY wanted Pace that bad, he would have just upped his offer a bit. It only came down to money for Pace and thats something we have a lot of, but choose to spend it more wisely.

If he didn't want him he wouldn't have been invovled w/ him until the end.

finfan54
03-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Keep in mind in 2006 we were BETTER than all 3 of those teams by the end of that season. Things change quickly in this league.

if those #s are correct we definitely overpaid for those players but we are alot better today than we were last week. We have plenty of cap room w/ more becoming available when Robertson is traded.

Exactly! Exactamundo! Guess whos in last place?:hi5:

jetsman
03-03-2008, 05:43 PM

I like it just fine.We were smart enough to sign him to a SIX YEAR DEAL,so that $22 mil is spread out over 6 years at roughly $3.5 mil per year plus base salary.Very affordable.Thanks.

G-Force
03-03-2008, 05:43 PM
We will contend next year too. Their guys are actually more unproven than our FA signings. The differance is ours has actually played in our system before. That IMO is better than just reaching for every big name and overpaying them. BTW our best signing were the coaching staff and FO. And everyone knows what they can do with new teams. We are still the winners and the draft and cap casualty cuts haven't even started yet.

TorontoFin
03-03-2008, 05:44 PM

exactly!! Most of us regret the joey porter deal. With all due respect, you seem like a decent guy, you are better thaan you were last year -- for sure. My only point was that those are the kind of moves you make when you're close to winning SB. the Jets aren't.

nyjunc
so you have upgraded? is that your point? you just overpaid for a one hit wonderboy. Vilma was a good player for you. so now how is everyone else on the team going to react to this new guy comin in for a boatload of cash and their boy is in NO?

You see, there is a whole lot more to this game called football and just like we screwed up with Porter last year, this one will bite you in the ***. And I am sorry, but jenkins is not going to be all that for you over the next few years. Just wait when reality hits. He will make some plays, but then fade. Thats how the big money works....

But I am happy for you guys if it makes you happy:hi5:whatever!:lol:

I LOVE Vilma and didn't want to see him go BUT his was not the same player in the 3-4 that he was in the 4-3 and David Harris was an absolute beast last year and our D was MUCH better after he stepped on the field.

Our D was very good the 2nd half, our weaknesses were run stuffer up front and pass rusher and we appear to have upgraded significantly in both dept's.

Dolfan1000
Smiley was 9 mil guaranteed I think, and he is significantly better than Woody, who was a major disappointment in Detroit, and was benched for extended periods of time I believe.

finfan54
03-03-2008, 05:46 PM
got to disagree with you on this one. before he blew out his knees, he was dominate every snap.

:sidelol:Ill trade you my 3rd and fifth for Jenkins?:sidelol:

My god, JT should get us a 1st and third for that deal.

nyjunc
exactly!! Most of us regret the joey porter deal. With all due respect, you seem like a decent guy, you are better thaan you were last year -- for sure. My only point was that those are the kind of moves you make when you're close to winning SB. the Jets aren't.

How do we know we aren't close to a SB? The Giants were supposed to be a bad team last year and they won the SB. We have been a double digit win team every even #'d year in recent times. We had a decent talent base and we have added to it. I am not predicting a SB or anything crazy like that but strange things have happened in the past decade in the NFL.

lbmclean_sj
he said he chose the Jets because he didn't want to carry the Dolphins Defense

I kid you not

22 million and you don't want to be the man?

good riddance

jetsman
03-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Dont worry now we get to see DOWN TOWN RONNIE BROWN run him over like he did with Huff last year. And we may get to see it more than once WOOHOO
Sorry,if Ronnie Brown meets PAce head on,he will be the one on his back!!!Pace weighs 272 lbs,that's about 50 more than Ronnie!:lol:

SQuinn17
03-03-2008, 05:48 PM
shawn crable in round 2....thats all im sayin.

PhenomenalPhin
03-03-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm not gonna lie, I'm very bummed. I really wanted this guy, and unfortunately in this day of age in the NFL, you gotta overpay.

dolpns13
03-03-2008, 05:51 PM

Haha, your right... This definately blows, but the hell with him then! Let him freeze his *** off in the cold then...

Dolfan1000
03-03-2008, 05:52 PM
We have been a double digit win team every even #'d year in recent times.

:lol: And were good when the year is a prime number that ends in 5 or 7.

209Mason
03-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Sorry,if Ronnie Brown meets PAce head on,he will be the one on his back!!!Pace weighs 272 lbs,that's about 50 more than Ronnie!:lol:

What a terrible post.
Weight has nothing to do with it... it's all about momentum, and who's lower. Running Backs run over bigger defensive players every game in the NFL. Look him up on Youtube... you'll see Ronnie truck MULTIPLE people much bigger than him.

TorontoFin
03-03-2008, 05:54 PM

I kid you not

good riddance

carry the defensive? easy there sparky. Who on Jets can hold a candle to jason taylor?

dolpns13
03-03-2008, 05:55 PM
How do we know we aren't close to a SB? The Giants were supposed to be a bad team last year and they won the SB. We have been a double digit win team every even #'d year in recent times. We had a decent talent base and we have added to it. I am not predicting a SB or anything crazy like that but strange things have happened in the past decade in the NFL.

Youve been to the playoffs every other year sonce 2000 I think it is and last year you didnt go so we'll see you guys in the playoffs in Miami in 08 :D

SQuinn17
03-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Sorry,if Ronnie Brown meets PAce head on,he will be the one on his back!!!Pace weighs 272 lbs,that's about 50 more than Ronnie!:lol:yah right man frank gore ran that dude over last year

Dolfan1000
What happened to "man I love it etc."

Thats an interesting quote. The JT trade talk scared him off, for sure. Oh well, glad he was paid that money to be "just another guy" on a star-studded D. :lol:

PyroDOLFAN
I hope Ronnie and the Big Boys up Front lay him on his butt every time we face him for the next 6 years. Expect to learn how the ground taste Pace, and you better get used to it fast :lol:

PyroDOLFAN
03-03-2008, 06:00 PM
I plan to come up with something positive on this, at least he is eating up the Jets money and not ours. Have to be optimistic somehow :)

Nappy Roots
:sidelol:Ill trade you my 3rd and fifth for Jenkins?:sidelol:

My god, JT should get us a 1st and third for that deal.

by laughing are you trying to say im wrong? before he blew out his knee he was EASILY the best DT in the game.

TorontoFin
How do we know we aren't close to a SB?

OMG, Delusions pal. I'll give you two reasons why the Giants were more likely to win last year than the jets this year. 1) They don't have a QB named Chad pennington or Kellen clemons. 2) They have someone (in fact 3 guys) who can run the ball.

nyjunc
03-03-2008, 06:01 PM
:lol: And were good when the year is a prime number that ends in 5 or 7.

It's been a trend. Since '02:

'02: div Champs
'03: 6-10
'04: kick away from AFC Title Game
'05: 4-12
'06: 10-6, WC
'04: 4-12

In '03 and '05 we stunk b/c of injuries where last year we just stunk but we are MUCH better today than we were last year.

SR 7
03-03-2008, 06:02 PM

I kid you not

good riddance

bc he knows our defense has NO ONE ON IT. look at the jets, they have that stud from last years draft teh CB, they have Jenkins, they have harris etc etc. who the hell do we have? JT? hes a grandpa in a year or two take him out we have NO ONE on that team for DEFENSE to the same level as the JETS players i just mentioned.

Lee2000
03-03-2008, 06:03 PM

We wanted Pace and you guys got him. No sour grapes. But I am actually relieved we didn't pay 22 million guaranteed. You guys are being aggressive more on the bigger names than we are. But I would imagine you guys should be close to finished.

Lee2000

finfan54
face it...your looking at the new Washington Redskins. overpaying for guys and trading others. Faneca was a good pickup regardless of the bank, but these other moves are overrated and definitely overpaid. I would not be scared of Pace rushing against us. He is not really a pass rusher, he is a bigger tackler type. 98 tackles last year. But 22 mil for that! my god, when I think about the money we were gonna spend on him, I really am glad we did not because I think there are good players still out there and for way cheaper than that. What the NY Jets are basically saying today is much like the bills a couple of years ago....

WE Screwed UP! Now we are trading away to get other guys, and overpaying in the process. Now look at us! Arent we great on paper?! Why yes! Yes you are! On paper...

TorontoFin
I'm not gonna lie, I'm very bummed. I really wanted this guy, and unfortunately in this day of age in the NFL, you gotta overpay.

tell that to the NE patriots who won 3 SB precisely because they didn't overpay for talent.

TotoreMexico

I was never a fan of giving Pace $22 million in guarantees, and if we really wanted him so bad, we'd have offered more money than the jets

nyjunc
OMG, Delusions pal. I'll give you two reasons why the Giants were more likely to win last year than the jets this year. 1) They don't have a QB named Chad pennington or Kellen clemons. 2) They have someone (in fact 3 guys) who can run the ball.

again I am NOT saying we'll be a SB team but the Jets have a good QB in Chad and we have a good RB Duo.

jetsman
03-03-2008, 06:04 PM

What gives you the idea that the signing bonus is being paid all at once???It will be prorated over the six years of the deal as ALL contracts usually are paid.Approximately $3.5 mil plus base salary per year.

Kadiddlehopper
And this belongs in the Dolphins forum because?

nyjunc
I think you guys have done good.. and please know I hate that, but I think you guys might seriously contend for the division this year.

I sure hope so, There's still alot of work to do but I'm happy so far. NE didn't suffer any major losses so they will still win 12-14 games, I think our ceiling will be around 10-11.

nyjunc
03-03-2008, 06:05 PM
tell that to the NE patriots who won 3 SB precisely because they didn't overpay for talent.

and what did NE do last year? Overpaid for talent, they didn't win it but they got there.

Mari0k
03-03-2008, 06:05 PM
What if the cap thing will be canceled..then the jets wont look so stupid...Owners are trying to take away the cape limits from what i understand...

finfan54
03-03-2008, 06:06 PM
by laughing are you trying to say im wrong? before he blew out his knee he was EASILY the best DT in the game.

Hell NO! I am agreeing with you! thats whats so funny! "before he blew out his knee"

Jenkins was a monster, and you know what? He still will be, a couple of times a game, but in the long haul, they overpaid and overkilled their draft. Im not worried in the least. They are the new Washington Redskins.

nyjunc
We will contend next year too. Their guys are actually more unproven than our FA signings. The differance is ours has actually played in our system before. That IMO is better than just reaching for every big name and overpaying them. BTW our best signing were the coaching staff and FO. And everyone knows what they can do with new teams. We are still the winners and the draft and cap casualty cuts haven't even started yet.

Justin Smiley, an old broken down jason ferguson, Josh McCown are more proven than 2 all-pro players in Faneca and jenkins? Really?

Phinja
Wow. I wanted Pace, but damn at the overpayment!

For that kind of money there are very few LBs in the league worth it, and none of them are named Pace! That makes him one of the highest paid LBs in the league. Here's to him helping the Phins against the Jets in another way: By busting their cap.

TorontoFin
03-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Jets have a good QB in Chad

:rotfl1:

nyjunc
We wanted Pace and you guys got him. No sour grapes. But I am actually relieved we didn't pay 22 million guaranteed. You guys are being aggressive more on the bigger names than we are. But I would imagine you guys should be close to finished.

Lee2000

I don't wnat to spend $22 mil guarnteed and I think it's a bit much if that is the #(Jenkins deal was reportedly $20 mil guaranteed and it turned out to be $9.5) but there's no denying we are ALOT better.

nyjunc
What if the cap thing will be canceled..then the jets wont look so stupid...Owners are trying to take away the cape limits from what i understand...

I think in '11 or '12 there will be an uncapped year.

TorontoFin
03-03-2008, 06:09 PM
and what did NE do last year? Overpaid for talent, they didn't win it but they got there.

I'd hardly call Moss overpaid last year, or welker. maybe A. thomas. You're wrong, NE got value out of the additions they made.

finfan54
What gives you the idea that the signing bonus is being paid all at once???It will be prorated over the six years of the deal as ALL contracts usually are paid.Approximately $3.5 mil plus base salary per year.

so the jets are stuck with his salary for the next six years. gee, i wonder when they are gonna trade him for someone else and pay them a 40 mil signing bonus. Its madness I tell ya! madness!

nyjunc
:rotfl1:

Last year was his FIRST bad year and it had more to do w/ a horrific OL. The season before he led us to 10 wins and last year was his first healthy year that he didn't lead us to the playoffs.

Nappy Roots
**** i would have gave him 20 million. we gave porter that. and hes better then him and much younger.

nyjunc
03-03-2008, 06:10 PM
I'd hardly call Moss overpaid last year, or welker. maybe A. thomas. You're wrong, NE got value out of the additions they made.

Welker was severely overpaid. They gave up a 2nd and 7th rd pick plus $10 mil guaranteed for 10 yards per rec. He had amillion catches b/c of Moss and the other weapons but they got him BEFORE they got Moss. I just wish Moss didn't go back so Wes would be exposed.