PDA

View Full Version : Patriots Continue Signing of Division Castoffs

alen1
03-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Patriots signed WR Sam Aiken, formerly of the Bills.
Aiken's never been much of a receiver, but was an active gunner on special teams in Buffalo. The Pats have seen his act twice a year since 2003.

RW

satz
03-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Looks like he will play kelly washington role and washington is being moved up to the WR corps .

so wr
Moss
Wes
Washington
Chad Jackson
C.J Jones

alen1
03-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Who's CJ Jones?

TomBradyWoot
03-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Who's CJ Jones?

The greatest receiver ever.

HaRdKoReXXX
03-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Wait I know Aiken...

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/03/258908ClayAikenPosters-1.jpg

My bad, wrong one... ;)

satz
03-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Who's CJ Jones?
He played last year in preseaon and ended up in the pratice squad. He is kr ,pr guy who is faster than wes in those.last year the roster had too many guys and this guy looked good .

Deof Movestofca
03-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Wait I know Aiken...

My bad, wrong one... ;)

My eyes, my eyes! They BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dolfan81
03-05-2008, 08:42 PM
they also signed CB Jason Webster who was with buffalo last year

MR NFLFAN
03-06-2008, 02:19 AM
Wasn't Vrabel also a cast off and oh yeah so was Randy Moss...Hell Brady was a cast off of the draft passes over by every team repeatedly.

MR NFLFAN
03-06-2008, 02:38 AM
And the latest cast off signed is Tank williams

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1078161&srvc=patriots&position=1

late again
03-06-2008, 02:52 AM
And the latest cast off signed is Tank williams

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1078161&srvc=patriots&position=1

Hey NFLFAN; so how's it going on your end?

As for the Tank signing:
Yeah I saw that. Tank Williams was someone I had kind of hoped that we might look at. I know that some people think he's finished because he's had his share of injuries, though. But if he's healthy he's a hard hitter.

feelthepain
03-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Patriots signed WR Sam Aiken, formerly of the Bills.
Aiken's never been much of a receiver, but was an active gunner on special teams in Buffalo. The Pats have seen his act twice a year since 2003.

RW

He'll have a 7td 900 yard season in 08.

Justasportsfan
03-06-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm sure AIken wasn't brought in to be a wr. BUt he definitely improves their special teams. Any team rival fan that thinks NE upgrading any aspect of their team is a bad thing doesn't know their football.

Welker was pretty much a castoff (via trade) as were Morris and Moss. The Pats have proven time and again that they can turn someones garbage into gold.

MR NFLFAN
03-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Hey NFLFAN; so how's it going on your end?

As for the Tank signing:
Yeah I saw that. Tank Williams was someone I had kind of hoped that we might look at. I know that some people think he's finished because he's had his share of injuries, though. But if he's healthy he's a hard hitter.

Its going ok but dam I hate the offseason. I think Williams being able to stay healthy is the big question mark most teams had with him but as you said he is known as a hitter. They only signed him to a 1 yr contract and I think Belichick experments with Meriweather sliding him over to Cb. Over all its been quiet in NE thus far thru FA but rumors have it that with the addition of Capers, Belichick is going to change up the "D" scheme a bit perhaps try to put more pressure on teams up front with the rush. Like I said its rumor at this point. I think if any offseason FA period was non typical Patriots its was last year and I don't expect the top tier type of splash like that again this season as it appears more traditional Belichick/Pioli FA around here this year. I'm thinking NE trades down from the #7 pick and just as he has every year Belichick will try and stock pile some picks for later rounds or perhaps even for next years draft.
I just hope we don't sign another TE as has been typical Belichick. For some reason he loves drafting TE's.

Its been fairly quiet in Miami too which has kind of surprised me somewhat with the Tuna at the controls. Whats up with him?

cnc66
03-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Its been fairly quiet in Miami too which has kind of surprised me somewhat with the Tuna at the controls. Whats up with him?

I think we got who we wanted, or lost them quickly. I'm thinking some contract work within the team unless a bargain happens somewhere. We had a huge void of talent from 03-04 drafts, they have sorta filled that with guys still on the thumbs up part of their career.

With y'alls record on bringing in FA, I don't see how anyone can fault your acquisitions until they fail on the field.

MR NFLFAN
03-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Patriots to host Seward

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/03/patriots_to_hos.html

After delving into the unrestricted free agent market in recent days, the Patriots are now considering a move with a restricted free agent. Team officials are scheduled to host Carolina linebacker Adam Seward (http://www.nfl.com/players/adamseward/profile?id=SEW092286) on a visit at Gillette Stadium on Thursday.

Seward (31 games, 2 starts) has primarily been a backup over the last three seasons for the Panthers, who run a 4-3 defense. In New England’s 3-4 scheme, the 6-foot-2, 248-pound Seward would project to play inside linebacker.
As a restricted free agent, Seward was tendered at the low level by the Panthers. That means that if the Patriots sign him to an offer sheet – and the Panthers don’t match – it would cost New England a fifth-round draft choice, the round in which Seward entered the NFL in 2005.

jetsman
03-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Wasn't Vrabel also a cast off and oh yeah so was Randy Moss...Hell Brady was a cast off of the draft passes over by every team repeatedly.
Brady was a one in a million fluke.Don't try to pretend that Patsie* management knew Brady would turn out the way he did,because if they did they are morons for not taking him sooner:shakeno:

MR NFLFAN
03-06-2008, 11:38 PM
Brady was a one in a million fluke.Don't try to pretend that Patsie* management knew Brady would turn out the way he did,because if they did they are morons for not taking him sooner:shakeno:

Nobody really knew how he would have turned out but Belichick saw something worth taking a chance on that the other 31 teams didn't 5 times around. Maybe he's just a luckier head coach than the other 31 guys. :winkwink:

late again
03-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Its going ok but dam I hate the offseason. I think Williams being able to stay healthy is the big question mark most teams had with him but as you said he is known as a hitter. They only signed him to a 1 yr contract and I think Belichick experments with Meriweather sliding him over to Cb. Over all its been quiet in NE thus far thru FA but rumors have it that with the addition of Capers, Belichick is going to change up the "D" scheme a bit perhaps try to put more pressure on teams up front with the rush. Like I said its rumor at this point. I think if any offseason FA period was non typical Patriots its was last year and I don't expect the top tier type of splash like that again this season as it appears more traditional Belichick/Pioli FA around here this year. I'm thinking NE trades down from the #7 pick and just as he has every year Belichick will try and stock pile some picks for later rounds or perhaps even for next years draft.
I just hope we don't sign another TE as has been typical Belichick. For some reason he loves drafting TE's.

Yeah the offseason sucks. I like basketball enough that its not a total loss, though.
You aren't alone in thinking that Parcells was going to make some huge FA signings. Just before FA ALOT of fans were pretty certain Parcells was going to sign Samuel, Faneca, Briggs, Flozell Adams and then trade for Derek Anderson.
Like CNC said, I think we got who Parcells wanted to get. The exceptions might be Flozell Adams (maybe, maybe not we'll never know now) and, of course Pace. But apparently the FO put a ceiling on how much they would pay him and the Jets' philosophy has seemingly been the sky's the limit. Myself, I'm fine with FA signings so far overall. But I don't get the McCown signing. Yeah, he brings some experience with him, but that's about it. If I'm going to guess, I would guess that the plan is to make sure our O-line is nasty enough to where we don't have to rely on the QB's arm to win games (at least for the time being). With a HC who made his name as a line coach, that's what I would expect, anyway.

Crisis
03-07-2008, 12:22 AM
pats got jason webster too...

good luck with him...his injury made our defense better last year.

late again
03-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Nobody really knew how he would have turned out but Belichick saw something worth taking a chance on that the other 31 teams didn't 5 times around. Maybe he's just a luckier head coach than the other 31 guys. :winkwink:

Without a doubt. Hell, by the time the 6th round comes up, most GMs are probably looking at their draft boards thinking "okay who sucks the least out of all the players left".

jetsman
03-07-2008, 01:08 AM

Exactly!!!!It was PURE LUCK and nothing more.Bellicheat didn't even start him until MO Lewis almost killed Bledsoe.Then Bellicheat had no choice but to put Brady in the game.The rest is history.Yeah,what a genius that piece of crap is.............

TomBradyWoot
03-07-2008, 01:50 AM
Exactly!!!!It was PURE LUCK and nothing more.Bellicheat didn't even start him until MO Lewis almost killed Bledsoe.Then Bellicheat had no choice but to put Brady in the game.The rest is history.Yeah,what a genius that piece of crap is.............
He also wanted to start Brady in 2001 right out of the gate but knew he just couldn't because of Drew Bledsoe. The injury to Bledsoe gave him his opening - and Drew never saw the field as a starter in NE again. He knew Brady would be a good Quarterback (obviously, he didn't believe he'd be THIS good) when he drafted him at that spot. It was between him and Tim Rattay as their long term starter/current Bledsoe backup choice. Obviously, the correct decision was made. When they got to the spot on the board Belichick was pretty surprised Brady was still there and said "He shouldn't still be there, he's too good for this slot." They kept four quarterbacks on the roster to make sure he stayed with the team, didn't even risk waiving him to put him on the practice squad, and the next season was vaulted to backup from 4th string. Anyone who thinks him keeping Brady as his 4th QB was a matter of luck is plain stupid because he went almost a whole season with just two quarterbacks, and he's very IR trigger happy IMO - he values roster spots like gold. He saw Brady had what it took at Michigan, he was a great game manager and led his team to victory more often than not. The organization interviewed him, and loved his attitude and work ethic. And THAT'S the main reason why Brady became a great QB. Attitude and work ethic.

MR NFLFAN
03-07-2008, 10:29 PM

Keep telling yourself that and someday you may even believe it.

:sidelol:

MR NFLFAN
03-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Ty Law: Patriots have contacted me (http://blogs.eagletribune.com/sports/2008/03/07/ty-law-patriots-have-contacted-me/)

The New England Patriots has contacted Ty Law’s representative about the possiblity of coming back to his former team.
Law just told me a few teams have expressed interest already.
“Nothing substantial is happening right now, but a few teams have contacted my agent,” said Law, who is home in Plantation, Fla. “And yes, one of them was the Patriots.”

Seems like some interest in yet another cast off. :wink:

nephinsfan
03-07-2008, 11:42 PM

He probably had someone illegally taping Michigan practices :foundout:

nephinsfan
03-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Ty Law: Patriots have contacted me (http://blogs.eagletribune.com/sports/2008/03/07/ty-law-patriots-have-contacted-me/)

The New England Patriots has contacted Ty Law’s representative about the possiblity of coming back to his former team.
Law just told me a few teams have expressed interest already.
“Nothing substantial is happening right now, but a few teams have contacted my agent,” said Law, who is home in Plantation, Fla. “And yes, one of them was the Patriots.”

Seems like some interest in yet another cast off. :wink:

And now starting for YOUR new england patsies.....Ty Law....who at age 102 seems to have lost a step...but us new england fans who said he was "not that big of a loss" when he left a few years back, will now talk about him like he is the second coming of a young Deion Sanders.....

TomBradyWoot
03-08-2008, 02:14 AM
And now starting for YOUR new england patsies.....Ty Law....who at age 102 seems to have lost a step...but us new england fans who said he was "not that big of a loss" when he left a few years back, will now talk about him like he is the second coming of a young Deion Sanders.....

And still better than any Miami Dolphin DB...:up:

Roman529
03-08-2008, 02:31 AM
The Pat's Dynasty days are over....just like the 70's Steelers, 80's Niners, and 90's Cowboys...the team got old and will be left behind.

MR NFLFAN
03-08-2008, 03:24 AM

I wouldn't mind having Law back for the right price. If I look at the scales and weigh
law vs Gay or
law vs Wilson or
law vs scott or
law vs hobbs
i'll take Law any day of the week.

MR NFLFAN
03-08-2008, 03:31 AM
The Pat's Dynasty days are over....just like the 70's Steelers, 80's Niners, and 90's Cowboys...the team got old and will be left behind.

Singing that tune long enough Roman and eventually you'll be correct.

As they say even a blind sqirrel finds a nut now and then. :wink:

nephinsfan
03-08-2008, 05:44 AM
I heard that they were looking to sign Ronnie Lippett to line up on the other side...