PDA

View Full Version : J-E-T-S winners in free agency??

dolphins1972
03-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Do you all think the Jets are the winners in free agency with the addition of
Pace,Faneca,Kris Jenkins, Damien Woody, and now possibly Chatman????

emocomputerjock
03-03-2008, 06:58 PM
They certainly went out and bought a lot of guys. Time will tell if itll work out for em.

finfanfromcsu
03-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Time will tell. They did well but spent WAY to much money. It is obvious that they are going for a quick fix and not in it for the long haul. THey very well might have a better record than us next year, maybe even the year after, but then we will go on to our dominating ways.

Roman529
03-03-2008, 07:00 PM

Short term I think they are winners, but long term they have mortgaged their future. I can't see how they will any cap room for the draft. :lol: Don't they have a top five pick? Good luck paying him.

tcdrover
03-03-2008, 07:01 PM
If spending more money means you did well, then they did great...

Things are going to be verrry interesting this year in the AFC East. All of the coaches have grudges or axes to grind against each other or against the other GM's and owners. We should get some real intense games. Too bad the Pats were able to re-sign Moss.

undefeatedfin
03-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Wait till December, we spent a lot of money on Joey Porter

DOC33
03-03-2008, 07:12 PM

More often than not teams that spend big money in FA do not improve dramatically. MIA did it at the end of the Shula era with marginal success, the Redskins have done it for years with little to no success, and SF did it last year and we all know what happened with them. Free agency is usually best used to pick up one maybe two front line players and to add depth which MIA did this year. That being said I do think that the Jets have drafted pretty well the last couple of years, got some studs on defense last year in Revis and Hobson and the year before with Washington and the two OLman. However, they still have questions at QB, are marginal at best at the WR postion and T Jones is probably the 4-5 best RB in the division. Plus the right side of the OL is not scaring anyone. They have holes. At this point I would rate the Bills second to the Pats in our division before I would rate the Jets.

Jets Fan
03-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Short term I think they are winners, but long term they have mortgaged their future. I can't see how they will any cap room for the draft. :lol: Don't they have a top five pick? Good luck paying him.

They'll use some of their $15-20M in cap space to pay for their draft. They're not in cap hell like some want to believe.

cnc66
03-03-2008, 07:20 PM
here's the good part.. "we" offered 15 million, Pace told the jets we offered 20 and he liked South Beach.. jets gave up 22.. our interest screwed them outa 7 million... good days work.

Dfan06
03-03-2008, 07:25 PM
here's the good part.. "we" offered 15 million, Pace told the jets we offered 20 and he liked South Beach.. jets gave up 22.. our interest screwed them outa 7 million... good days work.:up:

RoninFin4
03-03-2008, 07:30 PM
The thing I notice, is that aside from Alan Faneca, all those acquisitions have questions surrounding them. Faneca's a proven pro bowler, and if Pete Kendall can make Ferguson and Mangold that good as rookies, I'm a little scared of what to expect from them as 3rd year vets with a monster talent like Faneca playing between them.

Kris Jenkins - he's been injury prone in recent years, and has never played NT in a 3-4 defense.

Calvin Pace - 1 year wonder or was last year an indication of things to come? A lot of people project the Jets to draft Vernon Gholston - do they not do this now? Does Gholston pan out better than Calvin Pace?

Damien Woody - I believe he was a C coming out of Boston College. He couldn't cut it at RG in New England and was mediocre in Detroit. Now you want to move him to RT?

If these moves pan out, more power to the Jets for getting bang for the serious buck(s) that they've spent. If they don't pan out, well, then how do they get rid of all these guys without burning up their salary cap in future seasons. If a new CBA is reached and let's say a hard salary cap is put in place, thus ending the major escalation in salary cap #'s and these guys don't work out - then they're screwed.

#1dolphinsfan
03-03-2008, 07:33 PM
i think the Jets are screwing them seleves

Jetsfan0099
03-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Some one sounds scared huh?? The Jets did not do anything to harm the future. What they did was get a stop gap guy in Woody to play RT for a few years. They got Faneca to help the younger guys in Brick and Mangold, and he is a dominant OG in the NFL. They made sure their OL was ready to roll this year. Then they traded for Kris Jenkins, his contract is not that bad after seeing the real contract, he makes 6 mil a year, and has weight incentives. If he gets focused which I think he will he is a dominant player in the middle that demands double teams. Calvin Pace we overpaid for, I admit that. I never wanted the guy but w/e, hopefully it works out and he is 27 so at least he isn't old. Jenkins is 28, Faneca 31, Woody 30. They aren't that old. The Jets were way under the salary cap anyways, and we are about to let a big contract go with Dewayne Robertson. So we will have more money. We aren't hurting our future, we were just adding some vets. We have young players already like David Harris, Darrelle Revis, Kerry Rhodes, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, Brandon Moore, Kellen Clemens, Jericho Cotchery to name a few. The Jets are just making sure they fill there holes now so in the draft they can address to fill holes and take best available player. We did nothing to hurt our future, our team is heading in the right direction.

Jetsfan0099
03-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Plus I think you guys don't realize that the Jets GM is a cap genius, he knows what he is doing when it comes to salary numbers. He will be giving Kerry Rhodes a extension very soon to add another big contract to this team, along with Coles getting a extension.

Jetsfan0099
03-03-2008, 07:41 PM
More often than not teams that spend big money in FA do not improve dramatically. MIA did it at the end of the Shula era with marginal success, the Redskins have done it for years with little to no success, and SF did it last year and we all know what happened with them. Free agency is usually best used to pick up one maybe two front line players and to add depth which MIA did this year. That being said I do think that the Jets have drafted pretty well the last couple of years, got some studs on defense last year in Revis and Hobson and the year before with Washington and the two OLman. However, they still have questions at QB, are marginal at best at the WR postion and T Jones is probably the 4-5 best RB in the division. Plus the right side of the OL is not scaring anyone. They have holes. At this point I would rate the Bills second to the Pats in our division before I would rate the Jets.

Fair enough. Though I think TJ is a little better then you give him credit for, he had a bad OL last year. I think TJ is better than Maroney. He got over 1,000 yards with possibly the worst run blocking line in the NFL last year.

Jetsfan0099
03-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Woody played some games at RT and done well, I hope he can play well for a whole season!

dont fumble
03-03-2008, 08:06 PM
I don't like their trades (value wise) and I don't like Faneca at all, especially for the money. IMO the Bills had a much better offseason so far.

djfresh47
03-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Fair enough. Though I think TJ is a little better then you give him credit for, he had a bad OL last year. I think TJ is better than Maroney. He got over 1,000 yards with possibly the worst run blocking line in the NFL last year.

I never really liked Jones. Though I think McFadden will be the Jets back probably after the 3rd or 4th game next year. The Jets still lack a Qb, IMO. Though i'm not sure if the Bills or Dolphins have one either.

Nevermind what the Jets did I think the Bills improved themselves tremendously with the addition of Stroud and Mitchell. Add in the improvement McCargo showed and the return of Posluszny and Ko Simpson and the Bills should be very strong up the middle. If Jauron wasn't one of the worst coaches in the league I think they'd be a playoff team.

Jetsfan0099
03-03-2008, 08:19 PM
I don't like their trades (value wise) and I don't like Faneca at all, especially for the money. IMO the Bills had a much better offseason so far.
Homer, I bet you would be happy as anything if the Dolphins signed Faneca. The guy is a great OG, a dominant offensive linemen, and helps out everyone around him, hes a leader and is good for young O-linemen. Funny though, Parcells is the one that told Tannenbaum to go after Faneca this off season before Parcells took the job with the Dolphins.
Faneca is worth the money, the way this market has been going players like Dockery made big bucks last year as a OG, Faneca has made 7 straight Pro bowls, he earned that money more then Dockery. The Bills had a good offseason, but the Jets addressed their biggest needs with pro bowl talent at NT and OG.

Jetsfan0099
03-03-2008, 08:21 PM
I never really liked Jones. Though I think McFadden will be the Jets back probably after the 3rd or 4th game next year. The Jets still lack a Qb, IMO. Though i'm not sure if the Bills or Dolphins have one either.

Nevermind what the Jets did I think the Bills improved themselves tremendously with the addition of Stroud and Mitchell. Add in the improvement McCargo showed and the return of Posluszny and Ko Simpson and the Bills should be very strong up the middle. If Jauron wasn't one of the worst coaches in the league I think they'd be a playoff team.

Idk man I think Kellen Clemens is going to prove this year that he can be a quality starting QB. He showed signs last year with a horrible team around him. With better talent I can see him being a good player.

joesham
03-03-2008, 08:53 PM

but thats okay because faneca will make your opline perfect .......right?:shakeno:

dont fumble
03-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Homer, I bet you would be happy as anything if the Dolphins signed Faneca. The guy is a great OG, a dominant offensive linemen, and helps out everyone around him, hes a leader and is good for young O-linemen. Funny though, Parcells is the one that told Tannenbaum to go after Faneca this off season before Parcells took the job with the Dolphins.
Faneca is worth the money, the way this market has been going players like Dockery made big bucks last year as a OG, Faneca has made 7 straight Pro bowls, he earned that money more then Dockery. The Bills had a good offseason, but the Jets addressed their biggest needs with pro bowl talent at NT and OG.

Homer??? I said I liked the Bills offseason...;)
And you are just wrong with regard to my opinion about Faneca. I didn't want him before FA started and I would be pi$$ed if we had signed him, especially for the money. Parcells might disagree with me but I don't care. We will see how he does for your team but everytime I saw him last season I was totally unimpressed.
I'm not saying the Jets had bad offseaon, but I think you overpaid and that you did not get the better end in the trades. That's fine for a team going for a Superbowl win but not for the Jets.

djfresh47
03-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Idk man I think Kellen Clemens is going to prove this year that he can be a quality starting QB. He showed signs last year with a horrible team around him. With better talent I can see him being a good player.

I think Pennington isn't good enough to win games vs good teams because of his physical restraints. Though I don't think Clemens will be in the NFL in 3 years. I don't like him at all. In his defense I think they had awful offensive play-calling. Maybe it was because the line was soo awful.

I'm not really sold that any team besides the Patriots having a Qb good enough to be a contender in the Afc East. We'll see because Clemens, Beck, Edwards have not had enough time as a starter to make certain.

DaBills4life
03-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Jenkins and Faneca are great additions. Pace doesnt scare me for many reasons, one is because our OT's are good, two I dont think Pace is that good a player.

Woody, ehh.

Jetsfan0099
03-03-2008, 10:31 PM
but thats okay because faneca will make your opline perfect .......right?:shakeno:

Doesn't make it perfect but a lot better then it was last year! We had the worse starting LG in the NFL last year in Adrien Clarke. Now we have one of the best OG in football. Thats a big improvement. Plus his leadership can help with Ferguson and Mangold who are 2 talented young linemen. I think Mangold is ready to make the jump into the probowl this year. He was a 2nd or 3rd alternate last year. top 5 Center in the NFL. Ferguson can have a break out year. The OL is a lot better then last year, should get Jones some holes and have Jones running for 1,300 yards.

DaBills4life
03-03-2008, 10:38 PM
They did also lose Vilma, a guy Jets fans say was a top 5 MLB.

Bills are the only team in the East not to lose anyone worth a damn.

djfresh47
03-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Faneca's going to make the Jets line alot better. Though I think the Steelers generally let guys walk at the right time.

Jets81
03-04-2008, 12:07 AM

Vilma was a top 5 LB at one point. He's not anymore, at least not on the Jets he's not. You can say forget about him not fitting in the 3-4, but it's either that or he was never really as good as anyone thought he was. Look at his production for the past 2 years.

DaBills4life
03-04-2008, 12:53 AM
Vilma was a top 5 LB at one point. He's not anymore, at least not on the Jets he's not. You can say forget about him not fitting in the 3-4, but it's either that or he was never really as good as anyone thought he was. Look at his production for the past 2 years.

Maybe it was because you didnt have the DL to run the 3-4? You sure didnt have the NT.

The NT is the most important part of the 3-4. Vilma with Jenkins would have been amazing.

You guys did an amazing job.

In terms of adding quality players, you did the best, overall I think the Bills did the best.

BleedinGreenNC
03-04-2008, 09:43 AM

Vilma was good in the 4-3, out of place in the 3-4/

NJFINSFAN1
03-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Okay, he is my take on what the Jets did. I think this helps them greatly on two fronts.

A: Jet fans are like Met Fans (I'm one), always waiting for the other shoe to drop, or as you hear at the Meadowlands, we are the same old Jets. This gives the fans of the Jets hope and excitement. With the new stadium being done soon, they want to be competitive.

B: It makes them better, Faneca helps the O-Line, he is 20 times better than Clarke even if Faneca is on the downside. He also gives the O-LIne some fire and someone to run behind. Jones was hit 3 yards behind the line almost everytime last year. Pace will help, he is better than what they had last year. Did they over spend? Yes. But if they win its worth it.

I also very strongly believe they will draft Macfadden. With the new oline being big and run oreinted, they can go strong with Jones and fast with MacF. This also opens up to having Pennington start again, because they can use what he is best at with a strong running game, it opens up his play actions.

So short term I think it helps them, in a few years they will feel the cap, but than again, we may have no cap in two years.

UT the Jet
03-04-2008, 01:24 PM
This could very well be the Jets starting lineup this year:

QB Kellen Clemens

RB Thomas Jones

FB Tony Richardson

WR Laveranues Coles
WR Jerricho Cotchery

TE Chris Baker

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson
LG Alan Faneca
C Nick Mangold
RG Brandon Moore
RT Damien Woody

DE Shaun Ellis
NT Kris Jenkins
DE Kenyon Coleman

OLB Vernon Gholston
ILB David Harris
ILB Calvin Pace
OLB Bryan Thomas

CB Darrelle Revis
CB William James (Formerly known as William Peterson)

FS Kerry Rhodes

SS Abram Elam

You can't tell me that group doesn't have the potential to do some serious damage.

DaBills4life
03-04-2008, 01:53 PM
This could very well be the Jets starting lineup this year:

QB Kellen Clemens

RB Thomas Jones

FB Tony Richardson

WR Laveranues Coles
WR Jerricho Cotchery

TE Chris Baker

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson
LG Alan Faneca
C Nick Mangold
RG Brandon Moore
RT Damien Woody

DE Shaun Ellis
NT Kris Jenkins
DE Kenyon Coleman

OLB Vernon Gholston
ILB David Harris
ILB Calvin Pace
OLB Bryan Thomas

CB Darrelle Revis
CB William James (Formerly known as William Peterson)

FS Kerry Rhodes

SS Abram Elam

You can't tell me that group doesn't have the potential to do some serious damage.

Nice. I raise you this possible Bills lineup in 2008

On the offense

QB - Trent Edwards (Hopefully he takes a step forward, he was sacked about as often as Tom Brady. Great poise and knew when to unload the football. Rookies normally struggle with that)

RB - Marshawn Lynch

TE - Fred Davis (2nd Round pick)

LT - Jason Peters

LG - Derrick Dockery

C - Melvin Fowler

RG - Brad Butler

RT - Langston Walker

FB - Owen Schmitt (Rookie 3rd or 4th round)

WR - Lee Evans

WR - Bryant Johnson

On the Defense

RE - Aaron Schobel

LE - Chris Kelsay

DT - Marcus Stroud

DT - John McCargo

OLB - Angelo Crowell

MLB - Paul Posluszny

OLB - Kawika Mitchell

CB - Terrence McGee/ Jabari Greer

CB - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie/ Or Mike Jenkins Or Leodis McKelvin (1st round pick)

FS - Ko Simpson or Marlon McCree (McCree is in Buffalo today visiting)

SS - Donte Whitner

finfan54
03-04-2008, 05:03 PM
The New Jersey Redskins! woot! woot!

$130-140 million spent for 5-6 years on 4 players. Last I looked, this was a team game. Jealous? hardly...

BleedinGreenNC
03-04-2008, 05:58 PM
The New Jersey Redskins! woot! woot!

$130-140 million spent for 5-6 years on 4 players. Last I looked, this was a team game. Jealous? hardly...

Jealous of the 1-15 record? :sidelol:

thecubanluv
03-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Wait till December, we spent a lot of money on Joey Porter

You are right. And that was a BIG mistake by Miami. One they have refused to repat this year. Jets now made 4 of those same mistakes.

djfresh47
03-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Okay, he is my take on what the Jets did. I think this helps them greatly on two fronts.

A: Jet fans are like Met Fans (I'm one), always waiting for the other shoe to drop, or as you hear at the Meadowlands, we are the same old Jets. This gives the fans of the Jets hope and excitement. With the new stadium being done soon, they want to be competitive.

B: It makes them better, Faneca helps the O-Line, he is 20 times better than Clarke even if Faneca is on the downside. He also gives the O-LIne some fire and someone to run behind. Jones was hit 3 yards behind the line almost everytime last year. Pace will help, he is better than what they had last year. Did they over spend? Yes. But if they win its worth it.

I also very strongly believe they will draft Macfadden. With the new oline being big and run oreinted, they can go strong with Jones and fast with MacF. This also opens up to having Pennington start again, because they can use what he is best at with a strong running game, it opens up his play actions.

So short term I think it helps them, in a few years they will feel the cap, but than again, we may have no cap in two years.

Unless somebody trades up I think it's a lock. Thomas Jones is a decent back but so was Chester Taylor. It's a "win-now," league and I also agree it opens the door for Pennington. I think it also means the Jets will draft a Qb sometime relatively early.

miamiron
03-04-2008, 09:30 PM

And you have to ask:err:

Mike13
03-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Jealous of the 1-15 record? :sidelol:

Who would be? But the fact is that the Jets had a godawful year as well so dont laugh.

Tell me whats the difference between a 1-15 team and a 4-12 team?

Anyway Faneca was a solid pick up but he's over 30 and age is always a question.

Pace is a young guy but is he a one year wonder? Is he worth 22 Mil Guarnteed?

Zeke0123
03-05-2008, 01:09 AM
Cleveland has made the best moves by quite a bit...that teams is going to be DAMN good this year.. the Jets went from a 4-12 team to a 500 borderline playoff team depending on how long it takes them to gel.. but they have strayed from their "template" of building through the draft...now they are trading picks for players and moving UP in the draft how many picks do they have this year 4 ?? 1/4/6/7 if im not mistaken...the guys they signed certainly help in the short term but at 4-12 its a roll of the dice and some long term sacrifice for a win now in a VERY tough conference.

even if these moves pan out VERY well they havent done near enough to play with the Chargers Colts pats Steelers Jags and now probably the Browns.

DolfanISS
03-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Jets did great, still seems like they hace plenty of cap space so lets not let jealously rear it's ugly head here. We are in a diiferent position than them. Despite our reords being similiar the Jets were much better than us last year which was evident when they kicked our ***** twice. They are trying to piece together a team that will go after New England in 2008, don't know if noodle arm will be able to produce enough points though.

We are just trying to fill some holes to help us put a respectable product on the field in 2008. The Dolphins are further away from competing.

ganooch
03-05-2008, 10:57 AM

Hey, Parcells mortgaged our future when he took over and the Jets were only 30 minutes away from the Super Bowl and a ruptured hamstring from probably having another great shot. May as well take your shot now and if it doesn't work start over again.

BleedinGreenNC
03-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Who would be? But the fact is that the Jets had a godawful year as well so dont laugh.

Tell me whats the difference between a 1-15 team and a 4-12 team?

Anyway Faneca was a solid pick up but he's over 30 and age is always a question.

Pace is a young guy but is he a one year wonder? Is he worth 22 Mil Guarnteed?

I know that the Jets were 3 or 4 plays away from being 1-15, i am a realist, not a homer.

Those are all good questions, we will not have the answers until after next season!

Mike13
03-05-2008, 03:22 PM
I know that the Jets were 3 or 4 plays away from being 1-15, i am a realist, not a homer.

Those are all good questions, we will not have the answers until after next season!

I dont know man, sometimes I wonder...;)

BleedinGreenNC
03-05-2008, 04:14 PM
I dont know man, sometimes I wonder...;)

LOL!! Same here!:up: