PDA

View Full Version : Ask Prime T.: He Knows

M-REAL
08-24-2003, 12:10 PM
Hey PT, I followed your advice on two things and they've worked out quite well. I haven't had much time lately to play Mad., cause of work but so far I'm 9-0/ Yr. 1 and destroying the opposition. The first thing Is the learning curve, once ya figure it out your the man. When DE's rush your thru your line and come from the corners, make your QB step up a little before throwing the ball. This will give ya a better chance of avoiding the sack and letting your WR's get open from the CB's. BTW, the AI's 3-4 defense is very aggressive against the run, so watch out. Now the 2nd thing that PT mentions is when the AI's O has 3 WR/ Do the nickel package, and when they use a 5 WR set/ Do the Quarter package defense. This has really help me shut down O's like Manning's Colts.(He loves to call audibles at the line.) Thanks PT!!!!!:D

XoPhinsoX
08-24-2003, 01:51 PM
Shift your safeties often. Come up with some INTs.

WeVie
08-24-2003, 02:11 PM
So I will post this in this thread as well then.

I have no idea what I am doing. I can score on offense almost every time I get the ball but hell I have to because I suck on defense. I suck so bad that I always go for it on fourth down because I can't stop them on D so I am better off going go it.

I am not completely dumb as I know nickel and dime is for passing downs and the 4-3 and quater is better for run but after that that is about it. I know what QB spy is supposed to do and I know how to play tight bump and run coverage but I don't know when is the best time to do this. What is Cover 2 or Cover 3. What is under man or over man or under 4. Please help me.

Prime Time
08-24-2003, 02:56 PM
Great to hear it M-Real...any questions just ask me :D. WeVie I will answer your questions in a bit, I want to scope out the rest of the threas before I concentrate on this one.

Prime Time
08-24-2003, 03:33 PM
Ok WeVie first off that is how I was. Defense got crushed and every game would be a shootout which is not fun, so I will give you few tips

1-Do not go for it on 4th down unless you must, If you do and miss the Defense will have great Field Position. This is the first thing you have to do.
2-Mix it up, use some blitzes, cover 2s, man to man.
3-There is no right time to use a Cover2 or a Man to Man...just depends on what you feel like calling. If you want to use Cover 2...use it on short yardage situations.
4-Don't go pressing the INT button every time a ball is in the air, this will cause you to maybe dive for it letting the guy burn you for a huge play.
5-Like I said to someone else use Nickel's when they come out with 3 WRs, use Quarters when they come out with 5 WRs etc. It isn't good having Junior Seau covering Tim Brown.
6-Try to get some pressure on the QB to force him to throw quikc horrible passes.
7-Just keep at it...you will get it soon enough. It takes som people slower and somes fasrer. Yu willget it, just gotta keep at it.

Hope it Helps :D. If you have anymore questions don't be afraid to ask...and that goes for the rest of you guys too. :D

WeVie
08-24-2003, 04:45 PM
I have been playing Madden for years and it is always like that so it's not like it has only been a few weeks that I have been playing. As far as the 4th down I can stop that and punt. When the ball is in the air I almost never switch players because I ususally screw up so I am good there too. As far as to when to use what that will be a big help. I understand what man to man is but what does cover 2 do? And anything else you can think to tell me I would like to hear that also.

Muck
08-24-2003, 04:50 PM
What makes me mad is that I ordered a PS-to-PC adapter so I could use my Playstation controller with my PC. But the damn thing doesn't work. While my Microsoft Sidewinder is MUCH better in 2004 than it was in last year's version, I still don't have analog buttons. So I can't use Playmaker.

Dammit, more money down the drain. :(

XoPhinsoX
08-24-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Muck
What makes me mad is that I ordered a PS-to-PC adapter so I could use my Playstation controller with my PC. But the damn thing doesn't work. While my Microsoft Sidewinder is MUCH better in 2004 than it was in last year's version, I still don't have analog buttons. So I can't use Playmaker.

Dammit, more money down the drain. :(

There isn't options to make hotkeys for playmaker on your keyboard?

XoPhinsoX
08-24-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by WeVie
I have been playing Madden for years and it is always like that so it's not like it has only been a few weeks that I have been playing. As far as the 4th down I can stop that and punt. When the ball is in the air I almost never switch players because I ususally screw up so I am good there too. As far as to when to use what that will be a big help. I understand what man to man is but what does cover 2 do? And anything else you can think to tell me I would like to hear that also.

I'd go into practice and figure out why D plays you like. I believe Cover 2 is where you have two safeties playing in the middle of the field, it's a zone coverage, but you need to get pressure on the QB so he throws it out quick into a handful of LB's ;p.

Prime Time
08-24-2003, 09:12 PM
Cover 2 is zone, where each man covers a specific part of the field. They have to cover anyone who comes into their specific part of the field.

Amin
08-26-2003, 11:44 AM
on passing plays, i usually run with the dime - flat and then either cover 2 or under man. i dont know if its me or what, but i can usually fool the comp and if i switch it up smart enough, ill get a pick.

i think its cuz in either play, the safeties play zone, so the qb might get confused and try to throw under, but the cover 2 edge leaves your corners to cover those intermediate passes and if they can step in front of it, pat and sam usually pick it off.

also, bump n run coverage is good when youre in short yardage situations, to fight the block and contain the outside, also, i use it alot on 3rd and 5 when im blitzing someone, try to give him enough time to penetrate and disrupt the pass.

i find the most important thing when playing D is shifting your Dline n linebackers, especially on running plays, if you do this right youll shut down the running game, also make sure to cover the weak side yourself with the safety, just in case. but the safest bet when shifting is to shift your Dline tight, to clog those lanes and then your linebackers to the strong side or the far side of the field, whichever makes more sense to you. if youre blitzin linebackers, change accordingly, shift your Dline wide or to one side, so you can get an overload, this works well when the qb DOESNT run, haha, but works well when the RB does run. for instance, 4-3 edge sting, i shift my Dline wide then my linebackers to the strong side, my strong side linebacker usually penetrates n my DEs are fast enough to get around the tackles, so it works pretty well.

i dont know what you guys think, it seems Prime Time is the madden god here, haha, let me know if it works or not.

peace
amin

VanDolPhan
08-26-2003, 05:12 PM
Yup the key is lots of shifting. Shift your linebackers, d-line men.

Also make very good note of the new tool in changing packages. When you go to pick a play look to the far left of the box and hit "B" (xbox) a couple times and you'll notice you can change it so Madison, Surtain switch sides or the safeties switch sides or you can insert a 4th corner in a nickel defense etc.

Last tip is USE that playmaker on D. You only have a second after the play starts to use it. If you see it's a run to the left pull down and to the left on the right trigger (xbox) and your defense will play it better. Just watch out for those play action fakes.....they'll kill you on them.

Amin
08-26-2003, 05:20 PM
Van, i have a PS2, could you explain what you mean for that console??

i know you can shift your safeties before a play starts, which is pretty half *ssed, but you can actually switch them, switch your corners?? bring in an extra Dback??? that sounds really interesting.

get me some more info please
thanks
amin

Prime Time
08-26-2003, 05:29 PM
Yeah Amin, press 0 on PS2....it's the package button.

Barbarian
08-26-2003, 10:01 PM
oh, and as for Cover 2...

Cover 2 is the safeties playing deep zones while the CB's and LB's play man-2-man coverage.

Cover 3 is the same as cover 2, only there are 3 guys playing deep zone coverages. It is used if the opponent is hitting the seams between your safeties on a cover 2. This is the Defense that Tampa used through most of the superbowl in order to prevent the deep slants and seam patterns that Oakland loved to use.

Thing about the cover2 and cover3 is that with both of them you need pressure on the QB, without that your man coverage will break down and the QB will eat you alive.