PDA

View Full Version : AP probe finds drugs in drinking water

DonShula84
03-09-2008, 04:36 PM
A vast array of pharmaceuticals — including antibiotics, anti-convulsants, mood stabilizers and sex hormones — have been found in the drinking water supplies of at least 41 million Americans, an Associated Press investigation shows.

To be sure, the concentrations of these pharmaceuticals are tiny, measured in quantities of parts per billion or trillion, far below the levels of a medical dose. Also, utilities insist their water is safe.

But the presence of so many prescription drugs — and over-the-counter medicines like acetaminophen and ibuprofen — in so much of our drinking water is heightening worries among scientists of long-term consequences to human health.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080309/ap_on_re_us/pharmawater_i

Eshlemon
03-09-2008, 07:48 PM
We're told to empty stuff before putting in recycle, where do you put the liquid stuff? I just emptied some expired tylenol cold a couple days ago. Need to stop putting that recycle symbol of liquid meds...but then this would still end up in land fill with the pills.

Regan21286
03-10-2008, 12:01 AM
A vast array of pharmaceuticals — including antibiotics, anti-convulsants, mood stabilizers and sex hormones — have been found in the drinking water supplies of at least 41 million Americans, an Associated Press investigation shows.

So that's why I felt really relaxed after drinking bottled water. ;)

Mike13
03-10-2008, 10:25 AM
We're told to empty stuff before putting in recycle, where do you put the liquid stuff? I just emptied some expired tylenol cold a couple days ago. Need to stop putting that recycle symbol of liquid meds...but then this would still end up in land fill with the pills.

People take pills. Their bodies absorb some of the medication, but the rest of it passes through and is flushed down the toilet. The wastewater is treated before it is discharged into reservoirs, rivers or lakes. Then, some of the water is cleansed again at drinking water treatment plants and piped to consumers. But most treatments do not remove all drug residue.

Your firehose does the emptying.

BAMAPHIN 22
03-10-2008, 10:52 AM
A vast array of pharmaceuticals - including antibiotics, anti-convulsants, mood stabilizers and sex hormones - have been found in the drinking water supplies of at least 41 million Americans, an Associated Press investigation shows

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/10/health/main3920454.shtml

Eshlemon
03-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Your firehose does the emptying.

:lol:

I don't know what we can do with the drugs coming out our firehose.

Should have been more direct with my question based on how we get rid of drugs that don't get emptied by our firehose's.

Perhaps it's because Americans have been taking drugs — and flushing them unmetabolized or unused — in growing amounts. Over the past five years, the number of U.S. prescriptions rose 12 percent to a record 3.7 billion, while nonprescription drug purchases held steady around 3.3 billion, according to IMS Health and The Nielsen Co.