PDA

View Full Version : Nearest Star System Might Hold Earth's Twin

LouPhinFan
03-11-2008, 12:25 AM
Scientists seem to think there may be an Earth-like planet orbiting Alpha Centauri B, which is about 4.36 lightyears from us.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,336391,00.html

Thoughts?

Miamian
03-11-2008, 02:57 AM
Scientists seem to think there may be an Earth-like planet orbiting Alpha Centauri B, which is about 4.36 lightyears from us.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,336391,00.html

Thoughts?Off the tourist's beaten path for sure. Maybe not for long.

Chris, please, yes I know that it would take hundreds of years to travel 4.36 light years.

Mike13
03-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Then we can bone space women. ^

:woot:

brandon27
03-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Then we can bone space women. ^

:woot:

:sidelol: hopefully theyre at least hot!

AK Tinajero
03-11-2008, 02:09 PM
thats a long distance

Miamian
03-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Well, if the makers of Babylon 5 are correct, Centauri women are bald but have six genitalia.

CrunchTime
03-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Scientists are looking for inner planets in solar systems in other constellations in what is known as the water belt planets where liquid water can exist on a planet's surface.

That doesnt mean they would be habitable as their gravitation and atmosphere could be completely different and the radiation could make life impossible.

It just means they could have water in its various forms.

Ronnie Bass
03-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Chris, please, yes I know that it would take hundreds of years to travel 4.36 light years.
Uhm, who are you talking to?

Majpain
03-13-2008, 01:31 AM
Well your going to hear it first from me. 2 star systems over there is a earth like planet
and its only 15 Light years away!

Anyone can make a prediction like this and not be proved wrong. Its interesting to speculate but its not like were ever going to find out.

Megatron
03-13-2008, 02:05 AM
Well your going to hear it first from me. 2 star systems over there is a earth like planet

Anyone can make a prediction like this and not be proved wrong. Its interesting to speculate but its not like were ever going to find out. Why not?

Miamian
03-13-2008, 03:20 AM
Another member who has a tendency to be pedantic. I haven't seen him since the site's rebirth, but just in case.

LouPhinFan
03-13-2008, 09:28 AM

Anyone can make a prediction like this and not be proved wrong. Its interesting to speculate but its not like were ever going to find out.

Actually there are a few space-based telescopes on the horizon that will be able to see extra solar planets and determine what elements are in their atmosphere.

I'll try and find some links for those later today.

LouPhinFan
03-13-2008, 09:29 AM

I'm pretty sure he's talking to ckb2001. But I haven't seen him post on this site since it came back up.

CrunchTime
03-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Continuing in the pedantic vein they actually dont see these planets .They detect a wobble of the individual solar systems sun and deduce from the gravitational pulls on each other that there are planets there.

Or sometimes they detect a shadowing effect as the planets pass in front of the suns.

LouPhinFan
03-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Continuing in the pedantic vein they actually dont see these planets .They detect a wobble of the individual solar systems sun and deduce from the gravitational pulls on each other that there are planets there.

Or sometimes they detect a shadowing effect as the planets pass in front of the suns.

Those are just a few of the CURRENT methods. There are new space based telescopes being worked out that could yield images and atmospheric readings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_%28ESA%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrestrial_Planet_Finder

Those are a few of the ones I found on Wikipedia. I'm sure there are others.

FinsNCanes
03-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Well..we'd never beable to get there.

I was watching some show the other day where people were saying humans were meant to be a 2 planet species. Talking about colonizing Mars and **** within the next few decades.

FINintheMOON
03-16-2008, 11:25 PM
Well..we'd never beable to get there.

I was watching some show the other day where people were saying humans were meant to be a 2 planet species. Talking about colonizing Mars and **** within the next few decades.

Man I don't know about that... Look at what we have done in the past 60 years! Created Television in 1947... The first computer was late 50s... Colored TV in the 60s, man on the moon in the late 60s, deep space satellites in the 70s... Hell the internet has only been around for about 14 years!!!

It is not if we can, it is WHEN we can!!!!

FinaciousOne
03-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Man I don't know about that... Look at what we have done in the past 60 years! Created Television in 1947... The first computer was late 50s... Colored TV in the 60s, man on the moon in the late 60s, deep space satellites in the 70s... Hell the internet has only been around for about 14 years!!!

If those little guys who abducted me back in the '70s were to come back
I'll bet they could help us get there.:abduction:

FINintheMOON
03-17-2008, 12:11 AM

:lol::hi5:

unluckyluciano
03-17-2008, 12:39 AM

To add to what you said from the article:

"I think the planets are there, and it's worth a try to have a look," Laughlin said.

Majpain
03-17-2008, 01:44 AM

As much as I would want that to happen I don't think it will. I think at some point we will hit the peek of a technology to the point where it won't have as much growth. Of course something like that won't happen for a very long time. With that being said we would basically have to find something faster than light and at this day and age it looks impossible.

HysterikiLL
03-17-2008, 03:44 AM

With all the possibilities of cloning and cryogenic freezing, you'd want to bring back Nixon?

HysterikiLL
03-17-2008, 03:47 AM
As much as I would want that to happen I don't think it will. I think at some point we will hit the peek of a technology to the point where it won't have as much growth. Of course something like that won't happen for a very long time. With that being said we would basically have to find something faster than light and at this day and age it looks impossible.

Man's fascination with "what is out there" really baffles me. As Woody Allen said, "why are we so obsessed with finding out the secrets of the universe when we can't even find out way through Chinatown".

I say give every man a pack of cigarettes and a pair of Swedish twins named Inga and Olga and the universe be damned.

Den54
03-17-2008, 07:16 AM
:sidelol: hopefully theyre at least hot!

And green.
:up:

Mile High Fin
06-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the link. interesting stuff.
I can't wait for the Terrestrial Planet Finder telescope to go operational.