PDA

View Full Version : Playing Defense in Madden

Amin
08-26-2003, 11:25 AM
i JUST found this area of the msg board, ive been playing madden for years, was kinda surprised that noone had mentioned it in the main forum.

well im in season 4 in my franchise, i simulate everything except preseason and training camps, to help boost who i want boosted, im a 3 time super bowl champ, twice with wanny and then i promoted norv turner and went 14-1, tearin everybody up, well oddly enough, chester (94 rating) has been leading my team in sacks, i got eddie moore up to an 84 and greenwoods a steady 80, fletcher is at 89 and the rest of the starting secondary is 90 +...

but my question is, how do you guys play defense, do you guys prefer being Dline or Dbacks? i usually play with marion or knight and get 2 or 3 ints a game. i avg atleast 5 per game with surtain usually returning one for a TD.

i ask cuz when i play against my friends, they only play dline and they say i cheat cuz on running plays, i dont get juked and only have to worry about containment with the Dbacks, i see their pov, but i dont see why anyone would play Dline in madden, id much rather roam the field and step in front of passes then have to fight off blocks all game long.

oh well
peace
amin

XoPhinsoX
08-26-2003, 01:13 PM
Why do you guys sim all the games? Pansies :tongue:

On D I switch it up between JT and Zach/Seau.

Chubby
08-26-2003, 02:56 PM
I play either end,or thomas or seau

Iryman
08-26-2003, 03:40 PM
I always play the line. Either O-gun or JT

Amin
08-26-2003, 05:14 PM
I sim my games because I'm yet to lose a game and the time it would take to play through a season, id lose interest quickly, plus i like the whole draftin people and watchin them develop.

before each game i change my teams O and D strategy, depending on who im playing, sometimes it backfires, other times it works really well. i think its funny how the games play out with your strategy in mind.

another thing i found interesting was after my second season, jim bates got offered a head coachin job n i didnt want to pay the money, so i picked up mike singletary, haha, just cuz i loved him as a player and wanted him as a coach (all his ratings suck except his LB rating) so after a year with him, my defense wasnt as dominant but he boosted eddie moore alot, as well as my backup MLB, who i had just drafted to groom for a zach retirement in the near future,

the box score addition to the play week menu is great, i love looking through it after each game and getting a feel for whos steppin up. but either way, i guess im just a freak cuz i only play with safeties... oh well, ill go ahead and play a bit with JT and ill see if its worth it.

peace
amin

Prime Time
08-26-2003, 05:32 PM
I am JT or Ogun 55% of the time. 30% I am a LB, 14% I am a DT, 1% I am a DB. I did my math :D

WeVie
08-27-2003, 12:53 AM
When I play with the DB's it seems like I give up more plays than I stop but with some pratice I think that I can pick off two or three a game and that would be great.

Hellion
08-27-2003, 11:51 AM
I play DT, either Chester or Bowens because I can break through the OL to stop the run. When they pass I just switch to the player closest to the ball that the QB throws to just before the ball arrives, that way I'm always in the play.

Dolfan984
08-27-2003, 04:31 PM
I play with Knight. I have 3 picks and have played 6 games on All-Madden.

Prime Time
08-27-2003, 08:59 PM
It isn't normally a good idea to be a DB....becuase you can't see what the WR is doing and then you just get burned.

VanDolPhan
08-28-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Amin
so after a year with him, my defense wasnt as dominant but he boosted eddie moore alot, as well as my backup MLB, who i had just drafted to groom for a zach retirement in the near future,

Eddie Moore gets boosted no matter what.

I always get 75-79 after the first year. I've had him up to 86 after year 3 without puffing him up in training camp.

Prime Time
08-28-2003, 03:46 PM
Eddie Moore or Morlon Greenwood...who do you all start (I know I have already asked this but oh well :D )

M-REAL
08-28-2003, 05:33 PM
I start Greenwood. And now a new guy named ? Wilkins(rook) which he's a MLB and a very aggressive one that I'm scoping out in the pre-season. Hehe, but Wilkins has nothing over Mr. Thomas. Tho' he's faster than Zack and likes to disrupt plays in the backfield when I blitz. Oh and BTW, I somehow can't find Moore on my roster. WTF?!

VanDolPhan
08-28-2003, 07:46 PM
Start Eddie no matter what. He's predestined to rise in the game. So trade off Morlon for a 4th rounder (so you can pick up a replacement punter when Royals retires) and sign some scrub to backup Eddie. Guarenteed he ends up in your top 5 tacklers and gives you at least 2 sacks/2 int's. My 2nd year with him during one season he got 9 sacks and 5 Int's.

Barbarian
08-28-2003, 08:27 PM
I picked up a rookie OLB that has become an absolute monster (in 2007 now in my franchise and he is an 89 overall. Now that Zach has retired he has become my best LB.

Prime Time
08-29-2003, 11:19 PM
I am deciding to start Eddie Moore maybe halfway intot he season or so...Greenwood has done a decent job so far...has an INT :D

Biggunndunn
08-30-2003, 04:18 PM
depends on what i read in the O

MarinoFan4Life
08-31-2003, 03:23 PM
Moore went down for 12 weeks in week 1. Probably best not to get a scrub to replace him. He's INJURY PRONE

Prime Time
09-01-2003, 03:01 AM
He isn't injury prone...Greenwood in the game is more likely to get injured then Moore...just look at the Injury ratings.

AngryDolphins
09-01-2003, 05:27 PM
So far I havnt had any injuries for Greenwood or Moore (On special teams) and im in year 4.

Prime Time
09-01-2003, 05:32 PM
Got Life??? :lol: I am juss playing with you...DONT GET MAD!

AngryDolphins
09-01-2003, 05:36 PM
Look whos talking you live on these boards lol. Anyways 4 years is nothin because I dont have madden online.

Prime Time
09-01-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by AngryDolphins
Look whos talking you live on these boards lol. Anyways 4 years is nothin because I dont have madden online.

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: You probably spent the same amount of time on this board as I do...you probably just choose to post less...oh well I guess you took offense to my joke.

AngryDolphins
09-01-2003, 05:44 PM
I think we read the joke after you posted it in another forum.

Prime Time
09-01-2003, 05:47 PM
Another thread you mean. It doesn't matter, your my boy, we just argue alot about Madden lol. Only on this board, never on AOL though lol.

Hurricane495
09-02-2003, 04:16 AM
They are both good

VanDolPhan
09-02-2003, 11:30 AM
So far Morlon has capped out below 80 on all 4 seasons I have run with him as the starter (simulating some stuff to figure out who continually gets up there). Eddie Moore in 4 seasons has always cracked 80. Lowest being 81. High being 91.

Barbarian
09-03-2003, 04:54 AM
hmmm, in the PC version I had Morlon up to an 82, and thats where he peaked for me.