PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft won't go Blu-Ray

CitizenSnips
03-14-2008, 03:00 PM
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/859/859674p1.html

Reuters is reporting that Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg, group product manager for the Xbox 360, recently shot down any glimmer of hope that Microsoft fans had of seeing a Blu-ray hardware device available for the Xbox 360. "Xbox is not currently in talks with Sony or the Blu-ray Association to integrate Blu-ray into the Xbox experience," Greenberg said in the interview

Majpain
03-14-2008, 03:24 PM
I guess their going to wait for their next console?

Pagan
03-14-2008, 05:13 PM
I might be in the minority but who cares? I don't buy a gaming system to watch movies. In fact, I don't have it hooked up to my main TV, so a blu-ray would be useless for me where the system is.

CitizenSnips
03-14-2008, 07:38 PM
I might be in the minority but who cares? I don't buy a gaming system to watch movies. In fact, I don't have it hooked up to my main TV, so a blu-ray would be useless for me where the system is.

I agree with you completely. I own about 20 dvds total. The idea of buying a blu ray dvd is hysterical in my mind.

The idea of buying a videogame system just to watch dvds on, now thats just down right nutty.

Stitches
03-14-2008, 10:14 PM
I agree with you completely. I own about 20 dvds total. The idea of buying a blu ray dvd is hysterical in my mind.

The idea of buying a videogame system just to watch dvds on, now thats just down right nutty.

How is it nutty when the PS3 is the best blu-ray player on the market, and the cheapest? It would be nutty not to get it if you were in the market for a player.

unifiedtheory
03-14-2008, 11:03 PM

I did not buy the PS3 for the Blu-Ray player, I bought it out of product loyalty.

That said, when I fired in 300 on Blu-Ray I was sure glad it had the Blu-Ray player. The sound is very good and the picture quality is EXCELLENT. I have a very good Denon upscaling DVD player and the Blu-Ray blows it out of the water.

TexanPhinatic
03-15-2008, 12:42 AM
Im with Pagan on this one. Id rather skip the extra money and just get the system. I dont buy the system to play movies. Its a nice feature if its got it, but really I dont care and dont particularly want to pay extra for it. The reason I have an XBox is because its an elite that I found for a really good price and game wise was the clear superior system. What can I say, I wanted to play Gears and Halo more than anything on the PS3. The Bluray/HD thing played no factor whatsoever in my choice.
As for Blu-Ray itself, Ive already got a good number of movies on DVD, and even some old VHS. Im waiting to see prices start dropping before I think about converting all that over. Just MO, but its not worth the money. Nice, but not something Im gonna care about.

muscle979
03-15-2008, 12:53 AM
Im with Pagan on this one. Id rather skip the extra money and just get the system. I dont buy the system to play movies. Its a nice feature if its got it, but really I dont care and dont particularly want to pay extra for it. The reason I have an XBox is because its an elite that I found for a really good price and game wise was the clear superior system. What can I say, I wanted to play Gears and Halo more than anything on the PS3. The Bluray/HD thing played no factor whatsoever in my choice.
As for Blu-Ray itself, Ive already got a good number of movies on DVD, and even some old VHS. Im waiting to see prices start dropping before I think about converting all that over. Just MO, but its not worth the money. Nice, but not something Im gonna care about.

An elite costs more than a 40G PS3. Some people want more bang for their buck more than they want to play Halo.

TexanPhinatic
03-15-2008, 12:56 AM
An elite costs more than a 40G PS3. Some people want more bang for their buck more than they want to play Halo.

Like I said I found a good deal. :woot:I had pretty much made up my mind on getting a 360 anyway, and finding a well priced elite version took the cake for me. In the end its all about what you want. Many will want their system to play the latest DVD/BluRay/nextgen thing, others would rather go for the cheapest (Wii success anyone?) and other are attracted a game or franchise.

CitizenSnips
03-15-2008, 01:21 AM

the Elite also came with 120GB hard drive.

Stitches
03-15-2008, 01:31 AM
the Elite also came with 120GB hard drive.

Elite's are $80 more, and PS3 HDs are easily upgradeable.

CitizenSnips
03-15-2008, 01:35 AM

I have no idea how PS3s work, how much would it cost to add 60GBs?

Stitches
03-15-2008, 01:46 AM
I have no idea how PS3s work, how much would it cost to add 60GBs?

It depends how cheap you can find a 60gb HD for.

dolphan117
03-15-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm not sure I buy this, Microsoft is a pretty smart company and it doesn't make sense to voluntarily keep yourself out of the next gen DVD market.

Phin-o-rama
03-15-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm not sure I buy this, Microsoft is a pretty smart company and it doesn't make sense to voluntarily keep yourself out of the next gen DVD market.

there's no guarantee blu ray will ever even take off

i read some article that a 200 or lower blu ray player is over a year away...also pirating dvd's is sooooooooo easy and cheap to do, and people love to do it....

blu ray throws a little hitch in there for that

hd-dvd was the cheaper technology and supposedly not as good spec wise, yet i haven't seen anything on blu ray that has the 3d pop out effects that transformers does....

Dolphin1184
03-15-2008, 04:08 PM

Elite: $449
40gig PS3: $399

dolphan117
03-15-2008, 04:22 PM

i read some article that a 200 or lower blu ray player is over a year away...also pirating dvd's is sooooooooo easy and cheap to do, and people love to do it....

hd-dvd was the cheaper technology and supposedly not as good spec wise, yet i haven't seen anything on blu ray that has the 3d pop out effects that transformers does....That I dont agree with at all. I agree that Blue Ray is going to take a while to overtake normal DVD's (quite a while actually) but HD TV's are going to be pretty much standard by next year when all broadcasts go digital and once people get used to high def its painful to watch stuff in 480i.

Now that HD DVD is dead and everyone can focus on making blue ray players the prices should start dropping though like you said it will take some time to drop down to HD DVD player prices.

All that being said though it still makes no sense for Microsoft to take themselves out of the Blue Ray market and here is why, they are competing with another console in the PS3 that has a Blue Ray player built in. If people are choosing between a next gen gaming console with a build in Blue ray player for just a little more then another system with no hope of next gen DVD then what do you think they are going to choose?

Sure hardcore gamers will probably end up with both a PS3 and a 360 but where these companies really make money is with the average guy that just wants to have some fun and isn't really hung up on brand loyalty. And to those guys the PS3 has to be looking a lot better then the 360 right now.

IMO if the 360 wants to stay with the PS3 they need to get Blue Ray capability and do it pretty quickly.

Deus Ex Dolphin
03-15-2008, 05:00 PM
The thread title is misleading, since all the MS guy really said was that MS is "not currently in talks" to support Blu-ray.

Will it happen? Probably, as it makes a nice option for the 360, but the MS focus needs to be on games, games, and more games. I didn't buy a 360 to watch movies, I want it to play games.

CitizenSnips
03-15-2008, 06:04 PM
The thread title is misleading, since all the MS guy really said was that MS is "not currently in talks" to support Blu-ray.

Will it happen? Probably, as it makes a nice option for the 360, but the MS focus needs to be on games, games, and more games. I didn't buy a 360 to watch movies, I want it to play games.

Its actually the title of the article in which i linked to, not just the title of the thread, although will agree it doesn't say "never".

However, since he did speak of Xboxs digital distribution abilities, its clear MS is not interested in Blu Ray as of right now.

Dolfan5000
03-15-2008, 07:49 PM
All I can say is this is a win win situation for Sony.

unifiedtheory
03-15-2008, 08:14 PM

hd-dvd was the cheaper technology and supposedly not as good spec wise, yet i haven't seen anything on blu ray that has the 3d pop out effects that transformers does....

Anyone who REALLY cares about quality will go the route of Blu-Ray, it will be massive. There is a huge difference IMO between Blu-Ray and "standard" DVD...even upscaled.