PDA

View Full Version : Best game storylines

Zeke0123
03-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Storylines are a big draw for me in Video games would love to hear what some of you guys liked.

For me I have 2 that stood out.. Jade Empire and the Vampire masquarade (sp) series..

What are yours ?

Majpain
03-14-2008, 04:28 PM
BioShock easy

Oblivion

Mass Effect

Kotor

mor911
03-14-2008, 04:34 PM
hated the fighting system, but if we're going strictly on stories... Final Fantasy XII is top notch.

Dol-Fan Dupree
03-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Xenogears - I love the story for this game

KotOR - Another great story with a great twist

Chrono Trigger - Once you get past the idea that these kids watched a video on the future being destroyed by a gigantic monster and basically said, "LETS SAVE THE FUTURE!". The story line was awesome.

Star Control II - funny and fun story

Final Fantasy VI - I love the story line in this game

Bruzer
03-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Mass Effect
Kotor
Metal Gear Solid
Elder Scrolls (Oblivion)
Bioshock

Those are my favorite.

CitizenSnips
03-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Final Fantasy Vll will always be number one to me.

Bioshock was amazing.

Super Paper Mario was wonderfully written, sadly people just dont like reading.

Also, Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Regan21286
03-14-2008, 08:17 PM
KOTOR and MGS (1,3) are tops for me.

Stitches
03-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Chrono Trigger are definites Final Fantasy VII.

I think, considering the type of games they are, Ace Combats have had a lot of really good story lines.

TexanPhinatic
03-15-2008, 12:50 AM
Wow, did nobody play STARCRAFT?? Zeratul and Kerrigan and Tassadar are three of the greatest chars ever, and the story was crazy good-imo one of the games that launched storytelling as a factor in a game. Warcraft series was up there as well, but SC took the cake.
Also gotta give props to FFVII, good stuff.
In more modern times, the Halo series is solid, Mass Effect was great, HalfLife is always good. Gears of War got off to a pretty good start as well, I really hope the second installment keeps up the good work and isnt a letdown, I dont think it will be.

Sadly, Ive never played KOTOR, should rectify that ...
Havent finished Bioshock yet ...
Metal Gear!-was interesting ... Good gameplay, and the story was good but, well, confusing, especially the one with that Raiden dude, kinda fell apart for me.

On a side note, is anyone else as big a geek/nerd as me and read books based of games? Ive gone through the whole of WoW, Halo, Mass Effect, working on Starcraft now ... Not great tomes of Tolkein-esque lore by any means, but I find them fun easy quick reads, and I really get into story/lore behind the games, makes the experience of the actual game much more fun for me.

CitizenSnips
03-15-2008, 01:25 AM
Wow, did nobody play STARCRAFT?? Zeratul and Kerrigan and Tassadar are three of the greatest chars ever, and the story was crazy good-imo one of the games that launched storytelling as a factor in a game. Warcraft series was up there as well, but SC took the cake.
Also gotta give props to FFVII, good stuff.
In more modern times, the Halo series is solid, Mass Effect was great, HalfLife is always good. Gears of War got off to a pretty good start as well, I really hope the second installment keeps up the good work and isnt a letdown, I dont think it will be.

Sadly, Ive never played KOTOR, should rectify that ...
Havent finished Bioshock yet ...
Metal Gear!-was interesting ... Good gameplay, and the story was good but, well, confusing, especially the one with that Raiden dude, kinda fell apart for me.

On a side note, is anyone else as big a geek/nerd as me and read books based of games? Ive gone through the whole of WoW, Halo, Mass Effect, working on Starcraft now ... Not great tomes of Tolkein-esque lore by any means, but I find them fun easy quick reads, and I really get into story/lore behind the games, makes the experience of the actual game much more fun for me.

I've read all the Halo novels, working on Contact Harvest at the moment.

My cousin read the Mass Effect book and told me not to waste my time. Did you like it?

And finally, I am DIEING for the Gears of War novel coming out sometime this year.

Regan21286
03-15-2008, 05:00 AM
I think, considering the type of games they are, Ace Combats have had a lot of really good story lines.

You just reminded me of that. I've found the recent ones (4, 5, Zero, and 6) pretty good albeit much underappreciated. Though I thought the last one could've used some tweaks here and there.

Silverphin
03-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Final Fantasy X. The twist they had at the end..... perfect.

Majpain
03-15-2008, 12:50 PM
I love the Starcraft storyline. Too bad I don't have a comp that can run SC2 :(

The ME book is a prequel to how everything started. Its interesting Haven't finished it but its rather short. Their coming out with a sequel to the video game and Gears is coming out with a book.

Marino2Clayton
03-15-2008, 01:33 PM
BIOSHOCK

mor911
03-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Final Fantasy X. The twist they had at the end..... perfect.i actually though 9 and 10 had some of the weaker storylines in the series.

Dolfan984
03-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy VI

Silverphin
03-15-2008, 02:13 PM
i actually though 9 and 10 had some of the weaker storylines in the series.

But you have to admit, the twist involving Tidus... no one saw that coming.

Sethdaddy8
03-15-2008, 02:14 PM
FF7, FF8, & FFX were all very memorable for me. The others didn't draw me in enough to put the hours in to finish the game. But 7, 8, and X were some of the best game experiences I've had.

Resident Evil. Going back in time, the day I put that game in for the first time, I couldn't believe it. Just a great and cool game. That Moonlight Sonata part was one of my favorite video game moments ever. Great creepy story. R2 was also very memorable.

As someone else mentioned, Ocarina of Time was up there too, what a game. For the time, on a N64? How big that game was? Unreal. Twilight Princess was also very good, but the game seriously induced vertigo, migraines and vomiting...I kid you not. Only game that ever did that.

GTAs. I'm sorry but Im a sucker for all the big GTAs. The big 3, they were all awesome. Didn't bother with the "Stories" expansion games though...due to the next gen's arrivals at the time. All the stories, characters, and game play were awesome.

And if we're sticking to storylines, because as great as Gears, Halo3, and Resistance are...the stories are a bit shallow. for them, its more about the game play...

I think Assasin's Creed and The Darkness were 2 great stories. I looked at my collection of next Gen games through the 3 big systems, and those 2 stood out to me...over Bio Shock, Mario Galaxy, Saints Row, and many others.

Desides
03-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3. Have yet to see a video game approach that level of writing and scenario design, though Chrono Cross and Earthbound are pretty good contenders.

Honorable mention goes to GTA Vice City.

Regan21286
03-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3. Have yet to see a video game approach that level of writing and scenario design, though Chrono Cross and Earthbound are pretty good contenders.

Honorable mention goes to GTA Vice City.

MGS2 sort of wigged out towards the end for me but 3 was just unbelievably good.

TexanPhinatic
03-15-2008, 05:00 PM
I thought the Mass Effect novel was decent. It gives some cool background info for the game. After playing the game through I was glad I read the book, it gave the game an extra depth for me.

It isnt great writing, thats to be sure, but its fairly exciting and engaging anyways. Just dont go in expecting something mind blowing. Its an easy fun read, nothing more really. :)

Still say starcraft was the game that blew me away :D

Majpain
03-15-2008, 08:22 PM
I liked the ME book. Your right it gives more of a history on how things happened which is awesome.

OT but Bioware says Mass Effect 2 is going to blow you away.

#1 Fan
03-15-2008, 08:26 PM
san andreas, scarface

Desides
03-16-2008, 12:26 AM
MGS2 sort of wigged out towards the end for me but 3 was just unbelievably good.

The "wigging out" was not only intentional, but was led up to by the entire game and was the best part. MGS2 is pointless without the last 60 minutes being the way it was.

Read this (http://www.insertcredit.com/features/dreaming2/) and this (http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/MGS2/DOTM_TOC.htm).

Metal Gear Solid 2 is far and away the most well-written video game in existence. It's one of three games I dare to call art. (The other two are Earthbound and the aggregate of the Xenosaga trilogy.)

unluckyluciano
03-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Resident Evil. The first one of course.

Colorado Dolfan
03-16-2008, 04:12 AM
Some awesome stories in Neverwinter Nights by way of community modules... A Dance with Rogues, in particular, is fantastic...

Get Up And Go
03-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Chrono Trigger
FFVII
Resistance
Bioshock

Phins28
03-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Final Fantasy VII
Zelda Ocarina Of Time
KOTOR I

Sethdaddy8