PDA

View Full Version : jets sign Bubbba franks

ATVZ400
03-16-2008, 01:04 PM
ts agreed to terms with TE Bubba Franks, formerly of the Packers.
Franks, 30, caught 18 passes for 132 yards (7.2 YPC) and three TDs in 2007 as Donald Lee's backup. He's slowed down quite a bit, but can still help in the run game. Franks will be the Jets' No. 2 tight end behind Chris Baker.
Source: New York Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2008/03/source-jets-add-te-bubba-frank.html)

#1dolphinsfan
03-16-2008, 01:12 PM
they can have him he is Injury Prone and he isnt really that good when healthy

Jets81
03-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Thats why he's a back-up.

Jetsfan0099
03-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Are you sure about that??? When healthy he is really good. One of the better blockers at TE in the NFL. And he was a 3 time pro bowler, so I don't get the hes not that good even when he was healthy. Hes a big blocking TE, that can also be a weapon in the redzone.

PhinzN703
03-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Are you sure about that??? When healthy he is really good. One of the better blockers at TE in the NFL. And he was a 3 time pro bowler, so I don't get the hes not that good even when he was healthy. Hes a big blocking TE, that can also be a weapon in the redzone.

Well of course you see the positive in him. You're a Jets fan :)

Jetsfan0099
03-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Well of course you see the positive in him. You're a Jets fan :)
Not just that I always liked him when he was a Packer. And all the Packer fans say that he is a great blocker. When healthy hes a good player, saying he isn't means you don't know him.

TomBradyWoot
03-17-2008, 12:46 AM
What makes him good? Is it his career year of 54-442-7? If that happened last season, I would agree. But that was 2002, when he was 24. He made the Pro bowl when he was 23, 24, and 25. In the last 3 years he's had 4 touchdowns. He's 30, and isn't very good. He was pretty good in his prime, I'll give you that, but that was 4 years ago. He's allegedly a good blocker, big deal. Kyle Brady is too, he must be a good TE also. Hey, I'm all for it. Hopefully he gets misused.

nyjunc
03-17-2008, 05:35 AM
Low risk move, he doesn't cost much and we were looking for a backup TE.

satz
03-17-2008, 08:14 AM
How many players who the jet signed who have the "if healthy" tag attached to them.

nyjunc
03-17-2008, 08:25 AM
How many players who the jet signed who have the "if healthy" tag attached to them.

Only damien Woody has had injury problems of the big guys we brought in. You can say the "if he stays healthy" line for any player. It's a roug game, players get hurt and sometimes seasons are a a success or failure based upon key injuries.

Vertical Limit
03-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Nice low risk high reward pick up; he can still be solid in a back up role. Didn't even know he was in the market.

Itsdahumidity
03-17-2008, 09:37 AM
On 3/17/08

Low risk move, he doesn't cost much and we were looking for a backup TE.

On 3/12/08

Bubba Franks was never anything special, he had a few good rec years but Favre likes his TEs and the Jets didn't use their TEs in the passing game.

:lol:

I guess you shouldn't let people know how you really feel about players before they become jests.

Backup TE you say? Then I guess your team is wasting time with:
TEs
Jason Pociask
Joe Kowalewski
James Dearth

nyjunc
03-17-2008, 09:41 AM
On 3/17/08

On 3/12/08

:lol:

I guess you shouldn't let people know how you really feel about players before they become jests.

Backup TE you say? Then I guess your team is wasting time with:
TEs
Jason Pociask
Joe Kowalewski
James Dearth

He was signed to be a BACKUP. There are different expectation levels of a backup player, if we signed him to be our starter then I'd be a little more concerned but nice try though.

As far as current backups, I like Pociask. Kowalewski isn't very good and Dearth is on the roster b/c he's our long snapper. Franks upgrades the depth at a low cost, what is not to like about the move?

Itsdahumidity
03-17-2008, 09:50 AM
He was signed to be a BACKUP. There are different expectation levels of a backup player, if we signed him to be our starter then I'd be a little more concerned but nice try though.

As far as current backups, I like Pociask. Kowalewski isn't very good and Dearth is on the roster b/c he's our long snapper. Franks upgrades the depth at a low cost, what is not to like about the move?

Do you even know what a backup TE means to a running team? Your team signed him with the intentions of having Franks ON THE FIELD in double TE sets. I like how you can carelessly throw around the backup term as if he was a qb. My point is, no matter what you WILL find a way to do a 180 on any given subject.

nyjunc
03-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Do you even know what a backup TE means to a running team? Your team signed him with the intentions of having Franks ON THE FIELD in double TE sets. I like how you can carelessly throw around the backup term as if he was a qb. My point is, no matter what you WILL find a way to do a 180 on any given subject.

Exactly! He was signed more as a blocker where all those stats we were discussing last week are irrelevant. he wasn't signed to be a pass catching TE. Like I said, he was never great but he gives us good depth at a cheap price. You ran away from the last argument we had after i showed you the groh article and now you are just trying to get something over on me but it's not working.

Itsdahumidity
03-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Exactly! He was signed more as a blocker where all those stats we were discussing last week are irrelevant. he wasn't signed to be a pass catching TE. Like I said, he was never great but he gives us good depth at a cheap price.

You claimed he was nothing special as a put down in comparing him to your boy Becht. Remember, the TE who you proclaimed "as good a blocking TE as we have seen in the NFL this decade." :lol: So if Franks had nothing on Becht in the blocking department what are you saying now?

You ran away from the last argument we had after i showed you the groh article and now you are just trying to get something over on me but it's not working.

Ran away? You really don't get it. Your whole argument was 'since Parcells said it, it must be true.' And I totally smashed that idea with several examples of why you should never, ever believe what he says but judge him by his actions. But I guess you missed the school lesson about history repeating itself.

Do I have to remind you about what took place prior to Groh's hire. About the PR nightmare that was Belichick turning Parcells down. Oh yeah, why do you think he declined BP's offer? Big Bill had to save face and try to show that the eventual jests HC wouldn't be a puppet. This didn't get past people who knew better.

Junky I thought you could put 2 & 2 together but I guess not. The only one trying to run away is you but to no avail. Your puppet strings won't allow you to.

Jetsfan0099
03-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Bubba isn't known as a receiving TE, he was never known for that, he is a physical blocking TE, that is a good redzone target, his career high in TD was 9 in a season. I suspect him more to be a blocker with us, only a 1 year 1 mil deal, who can potentially be our #2 TE and be a good blocker for us. Baker is the TE that will see the catches, seeing he has soft hands, decent speed, and seems like he is getting better every year.

nyjunc
03-17-2008, 03:17 PM
You claimed he was nothing special as a put down in comparing him to your boy Becht. Remember, the TE who you proclaimed "as good a blocking TE as we have seen in the NFL this decade." So if Franks had nothing on Becht in the blocking department what are you saying now?

You are insane. When did I crow about Franks? Whend did I compare him w/ becht blocking wise? I said he's a low risk signing who gives us good depth.

Ran away? You really don't get it. Your whole argument was 'since Parcells said it, it must be true.' And I totally smashed that idea with several examples of why you should never, ever believe what he says but judge him by his actions. But I guess you missed the school lesson about history repeating itself.

You didn't smash anything, you had no response to that artilce. Parcells said it, groh said it, they all said it. Parcells gave all the blame to Groh for the Key trdae at first then when it turned out ok he wanted credit. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. The only think parcells did for us in Jan of '01 was cost us Bill Belichick.

Do I have to remind you about what took place prior to Groh's hire. About the PR nightmare that was Belichick turning Parcells down. Oh yeah, why do you think he declined BP's offer? Big Bill had to save face and try to show that the eventual jests HC wouldn't be a puppet. This didn't get past people who knew better.

There's a difference, he didn't trust parcells. Parcells was done, he didn't even want to work in 2001. he bolted immediately after the '01 season and if BB stayed he would have stayed out of his business but BB didn't trust him.

Junky I thought you could put 2 & 2 together but I guess not. The only one trying to run away is you but to no avail. Your puppet strings won't allow you to.

Just re-read this nonsese you are typing:lol: it's unintended comedy at it's finest.

allsilverdreams
03-17-2008, 04:45 PM
just heard on espn the jets signed him .man now this is one guy we should have went after .local boy good player wtf

NoLimit84
03-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Are you going by his name? Because he has been terrible the last couple of seasons. This is why it would be bad if we signed big names in free agency.

FINSFAN2781
03-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Another old, washed up, player signed by the Jets. I love the desperation mode the Jets are in to win now. Too bad they wont win **** with these signings. I love hearing and reading Jets fans responses to all the signings trying to pretend they are all excellent players that will definitely make them win a Super Bowl now. Its pathetic and I love it. Jets are trying to buy a Super Bowl, just like the Redskins always do, and you can see how its worked for them. Even with these signings, Jets wont win more than 6 games.

BleedinGreenNC
03-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Another old, washed up, player signed by the Jets. I love the desperation mode the Jets are in to win now. Too bad they wont win **** with these signings. I love hearing and reading Jets fans responses to all the signings trying to pretend they are all excellent players that will definitely make them win a Super Bowl now. Its pathetic and I love it. Jets are trying to buy a Super Bowl, just like the Redskins always do, and you can see how its worked for them. Even with these signings, Jets wont win more than 6 games.

As compared top Porters signing last year?? I love it how your signings are smart and rated high, yet our signings are reaches and they will be busts. SHow me where any of us Jet's fans on here said that we were going to the SB now. They may be excellent players, they may not be. Whats pathetic is how you fins fans are acting like your the class of the league after coming off a 1-15 season. By the way, he was signed as a back-up.

Sunny Fish
03-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Are they out of money yet???? Where are they getting it?....... Oprah???

Jets81
03-17-2008, 08:28 PM

Pathetic is talking trash coming off of a 1-15 season.

UT the Jet
03-17-2008, 11:15 PM
The Jets signed Franks to a short money deal to be our backup TE. Where's the harm in that? How exactly is this a bad move by the Jets?

Bubba isn't the threat he was 5 years ago, but he's still one of the better blocking TE's in the league and provides a solid redzone target.

It's a solid, veteran depth signing.

FINSFAN2781
03-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Pathetic is talking trash coming off of a 1-15 season.

Its not trash talk, its called REALITY. Step into it sometime, your really missing out. If the Jets went out and signed Martin Gramatica, you all would get a hard on and say how great of a signing it was. It doesnt matter who you guys bring in, you think its a great move. I said it before and I'll say it again, the Jets wont win 6 games this year. What are you going to in 2 years when half the team retires?

Jets81
03-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Its not trash talk, its called REALITY. Step into it sometime, your really missing out. If the Jets went out and signed Martin Gramatica, you all would get a hard on and say how great of a signing it was. It doesnt matter who you guys bring in, you think its a great move. I said it before and I'll say it again, the Jets wont win 6 games this year. What are you going to in 2 years when half the team retires?

Whats really happening is every-time we sign someone, a Fin fan or another teams fan comes in and says why the guy sucks or why it's a bad move. We defend our team if we agree with there moves. Signing Bubba Franks is not a bad move just because fans of another team say so.

It's actually rather humorous that you guys feel the need to make a thread about every guy we sign, and proceed to make it out to be the worst move of all time. I won't even address the rest, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

nyjunc
03-18-2008, 03:02 PM

You seem to be confused. What happens is if Miami has a chance to sign these players the players are great but then if they sign elsewhere they all of a sudden suck. Calvin Pace was a God on this board when you guys thought you were getting him but since he signed w/ the Jets you guys didn't want him all along:lol:

I actually think the Jets and Dolphins have had good offseasons. I think we did a little better and we obviously had more talent going into FA so we are alot closer to competing than you guys are. I do think that both teams will be alot better this year and beyond. It would be hard to be worse than we were a year ago.

nyjunc
03-18-2008, 03:03 PM
I said it before and I'll say it again, the Jets wont win 6 games this year. What are you going to in 2 years when half the team retires?

You are right about that so I will give you some credit, we will not win 6 games. We will win alot more than 6 games.

FINSFAN2781
03-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Whats really happening is every-time we sign someone, a Fin fan or another teams fan comes in and says why the guy sucks or why it's a bad move. We defend our team if we agree with there moves. Signing Bubba Franks is not a bad move just because fans of another team say so.

It's actually rather humorous that you guys feel the need to make a thread about every guy we sign, and proceed to make it out to be the worst move of all time. I won't even address the rest, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Signing Franks isnt a bad move because fans of another says so, its a bad move because its a bad move. Maybe if they got him a few years ago it would be viewed differently, but whether he is brought in as a backup or not, hes not that great.

I agree, I cant stand when every time a player is cut or released there becomes 50 "xxxx was cut, we should sign him" threads. It doesnt only happen here, it happens everywhere. If you dont like reading those threads here, then get out of these Dolphin boards.

FINSFAN2781
03-18-2008, 04:29 PM
You are right about that so I will give you some credit, we will not win 6 games. We will win alot more than 6 games.

Shouldnt you be out on a ledge somewhere?

FINSFAN2781
03-18-2008, 04:39 PM
You seem to be confused. What happens is if Miami has a chance to sign these players the players are great but then if they sign elsewhere they all of a sudden suck. Calvin Pace was a God on this board when you guys thought you were getting him but since he signed w/ the Jets you guys didn't want him all along:lol:

I actually think the Jets and Dolphins have had good offseasons. I think we did a little better and we obviously had more talent going into FA so we are alot closer to competing than you guys are. I do think that both teams will be alot better this year and beyond. It would be hard to be worse than we were a year ago.

Yes, when we heard Parcells was looking at Pace, we figured ok, heres another young guy that Parcells is going to bring in, but that was way before we found out the kind of money he wanted. I dont think there is 1 person on these boards that would want to pay Pace what he wanted. If you actually think Pace is worth the money you guys threw at him, well thats just sad. I, like everyone else here is so glad we didnt overspend for him.

Jets81
03-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Signing Franks isnt a bad move because fans of another says so, its a bad move because its a bad move. Maybe if they got him a few years ago it would be viewed differently, but whether he is brought in as a backup or not, hes not that great.

Bubba Franks >>>>> Sean Ryan. :lol:

BleedinGreenNC
03-18-2008, 11:38 PM

I wish Ryan the best of luck with the Fins, i think he would have worked out well in the long run.

nyjunc
03-19-2008, 05:47 AM

I agree, I cant stand when every time a player is cut or released there becomes 50 "xxxx was cut, we should sign him" threads. It doesnt only happen here, it happens everywhere. If you dont like reading those threads here, then get out of these Dolphin boards.

Please xplain to me how signing Franks to a low cost 1 year deal is a bad move? The worst thing that happens is he stinks or is hurt and we cut him w/ no damage to our cap so PLEASE explain why it's a bad move?

Sean Ryan and Franks probably signed similar deals, do you think Ryan is much better than Franks? Did you kill the Ryan deal? I bet you didn't even know who Sean Ryan was until you signed him.

Yes, when we heard Parcells was looking at Pace, we figured ok, heres another young guy that Parcells is going to bring in, but that was way before we found out the kind of money he wanted. I dont think there is 1 person on these boards that would want to pay Pace what he wanted. If you actually think Pace is worth the money you guys threw at him, well thats just sad. I, like everyone else here is so glad we didnt overspend for him.

When he left Miami to visit the Jets the # being floated was $20 mil guaranteed and that he would sign w/ Miami. The Miami fans were giddy over the signing. Then he goes to the Jets and of course he sucks.

Jets81
03-19-2008, 11:34 AM
I wish Ryan the best of luck with the Fins, i think he would have worked out well in the long run.
Yea that may be true but Ryan's not the kind of player you lose sleep over. Just like Franks, he'll be a role player on his current team.

BuffaloSoldier2
03-19-2008, 01:51 PM

I played against Sean Ryan in high school. He was pretty good but never in a million years would I have ever guessed he would have made it to the NFL. He was getting Ivy Leagues looks but decided to go to prep school and then went to BC.

Now he gets to play pro football in NY and Miami. I should have went to prep school. :boohoo: