PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Firmware 2.20 update coming soon

Motion
03-20-2008, 01:18 PM
March 20, 2008 - Eight days ago, firmware version 2.17 was released to improve the stability of some PS3 games running on the PSN. But it now appears that this won't be the most recent update for long. According to the most recent post on PlayStation.Blog (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/03/20/firmware-v220-bringing-bd-live-to-ps3/%22), firmware version 2.20 will be released in a few days to enhance the multimedia functionality of the system as well as new cross-platform functionality with the PSP. Chief amongst these updates is the ability to support Blu-ray Disc Profile 2.0, which is known as BD-Live. This will allow users to connect to the Internet while a movie that supports this feature plays to download additional content or features. This content could host everything from bonus scenes and trailers to interactive games and ringtones. With the release of The 6th Day and Walk Hard on April 8th, both of which have BD-Live content, the PS3 will become the first Blu-ray player to support this functionality.

Firmware 2.20 will also allow users to play DivX and WMV files that are larger than 2GBs, improve the speed of browser web pages and allow users to save files linked on pages to your hard drive. What's more, it allows a user to resume playing a DVD or Blu-ray disc from any point that it was previously stopped, even if that disc has been ejected and a new one has been inserted. Finally, a new AV setting called Mosquito Noise Reduction will be added to improve movie playback. The PSP also gains two new functions as well; PS3 music and photo playlists can now be exported to a PSP, and the handheld can be used to play back music files on the PS3 without turning on a television.

"Whether you want to download movie extras, send ringtones to your phone, or play interactive games, BD-LIVE will offer exciting new ways to enjoy a Blu-ray movie. With these regular firmware updates and future-proofed technology, SCEA is making the 10-year lifecycle of PS3 possible."

Good stuff

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/861/861006p1.html

Phin-o-rama
03-20-2008, 02:15 PM
good stuff

Regan21286
03-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Awesome news. Can't wait to install it.

Greatness920
03-20-2008, 03:18 PM
i htought i just updated 2.20 the other day? maybe it was something else i dunno there so many of those things i jsut do it to play cod4 watever it tells me i do it lol

Motion
03-20-2008, 03:21 PM
i htought i just updated 2.20 the other day? maybe it was something else i dunno there so many of those things i jsut do it to play cod4 watever it tells me i do it lol

That was probably the COD4 patch. This is the PS3 system update.

Greatness920
03-20-2008, 03:29 PM
That was probably the COD4 patch. This is the PS3 system update.

no cuz i got the patch the 18th of march the one im talkin bout was a really long download the patch was quick and painless maybe is was like 2.19 or something i dunno i forgot but it def was a system update by the length it was right when i got back from spring break

Motion
03-20-2008, 03:37 PM
no cuz i got the patch the 18th of march the one im talkin bout was a really long download the patch was quick and painless maybe is was like 2.19 or something i dunno i forgot but it def was a system update by the length it was right when i got back from spring break

2.17? That was about a week or so ago.

Greatness920
03-20-2008, 03:42 PM
2.17? That was about a week or so ago.

quite possible it was that one lol :D