PDA

View Full Version : Spygate Question for Fans of Teams Other than New England

MattM
03-27-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm trying to conduct a poll of sorts (informal though it is). What would your reaction be if (a) Walsh comes forward and has a copy of the Rams SB walkthrough and (b) the Pats claim for whatever reason that Walsh was acting alone and they had nothing to do with it and (c) the Commissioner does not punish the Pats or punishes them leniently. Would this make you angry or would you abide by the Commissioner's decision? Thoughts?

MR NFLFAN
03-27-2008, 06:44 PM
I don't believe we'll ever hear from Walsh. If we were going to I think we already would have.

Jets81
03-27-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm trying to conduct a poll of sorts (informal though it is). What would your reaction be if (a) Walsh comes forward and has a copy of the Rams SB walkthrough and (b) the Pats claim for whatever reason that Walsh was acting alone and they had nothing to do with it and (c) the Commissioner does not punish the Pats or punishes them leniently. Would this make you angry or would you abide by the Commissioner's decision? Thoughts?

A) It would confirm what we already knew, the Pats cheated. Rams fans will probably be extremely agitated.

B) They'll have to prove it.

C) The Pats have already been punished, I don't see a need for anything further. Rams fans may disagree. If the commissioner sees fit to further punishment I certainly wouldn't argue with him.

PhinzN703
03-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Well they won't take the championships away from the Pats and that's fine. I don't think it's that drastic a thing. But I do believe they should be penalized even more, maybe sent to Antarctica for a few years.

satz
03-27-2008, 08:17 PM
B) They'll have to prove it.

Who does they refer to?. what if he just gets a video - alot of players had a handy cam even in this SB sessions. so how do you know its shot by him?.

I do not think their is a video for few pts
1)He never said he had a video
2)Tomase the reporter who published the rumour of a taping from a unknown source has recanted the story 2 weeks after the first story.He never mentioned walsh name.
3)
a)In MA and most places if a audio taping is producted as evidence and one of the party[patriots] does not acknowledge the presence of such a tape it can be used to disprove this theory and revealed.
b)Scott piolli gone public saying he was taped with out his knowlegde by walsh so these tapes can never be exposed in public as the DA will start a federal case against walsh.
4)Just shpwing the tape on youtube or anyother source would have been enough but in case of a audio case he is going to jail.the NFL cannot protect him.

You are saying their is no way this guy can put this tape to reporter or youtube without being traced?

Jets81
03-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Who does they refer to?. what if he just gets a video - alot of players had a handy cam even in this SB sessions. so how do you know its shot by him?.

2)Tomase the reporter who published the rumour of a taping from a unknown source has recanted the story 2 weeks after the first story.He never mentioned walsh name.
3)
a)In MA and most places if a audio taping is producted as evidence and one of the party[patriots] does not acknowledge the presence of such a tape it can be used to disprove this theory and revealed.
b)Scott piolli gone public saying he was taped with out his knowlegde by walsh so these tapes can never be exposed in public as the DA will start a federal case against walsh.
4)Just shpwing the tape on youtube or anyother source would have been enough but in case of a audio case he is going to jail.the NFL cannot protect him.

You are saying their is no way this guy can put this tape to reporter or youtube without being traced?

Reread the original posters questions, then reread my answers. Thats what I'm saying.

MattM
03-27-2008, 08:39 PM

3)

I've never heard the Tomase recanting point--link please?

Mike13
03-27-2008, 11:13 PM
(a) Walsh comes forward and has a copy of the Rams SB walkthrough and (b) the Pats claim for whatever reason that Walsh was acting alone and they had nothing to do with it and (c) the Commissioner does not punish the Pats or punishes them leniently. Would this make you angry or would you abide by the Commissioner's decision? Thoughts?

If he does produce a tape or any other kind of evidence the the Patriots have to be punished severely by Goodell, he would take a lot of heat if he punished them softly.

TomBradyWoot
03-28-2008, 01:42 AM
I'm a New England fan but I'll still kind of answer the questions. I agree with what Jets81 said as far as the Patriots have already been punished, and pretty severely. Goodell did this after Week 1 for all he knew the Pats could've finished 10-6 and selected in the early 20s. As is, losing pick 31 is quite harsh, especially with a draft deep in CBs and having a huge need there, and needing a LB (as well as being deep in TE and having a need there too but that's another issue). Losing a first round pick is just huge. Granted, they have #7 but that was due to a trade from the previous draft, taking that away would null the trade. However, I do believe Belichick will be suspended for one year (which would likely end his career) if Goodell believes the Rams walkthrough tape (if it does exist, which I have serious doubts with) was done with Belichick's consent and/or knowledge. After that, probably nothing else to the organization. The organization was already punished for the violations, it's all on Belichick now, as he signed the agreement stating what he told Goodell was all that he knew and had (although we don't even know what was said to the commissioner). I understand many people here wanted the commissioner to give the Pats the death penalty and take away all their draft picks for years and ban Belichick for life and take away the championships but I feel his punishment was fair.

FinFrenzy
03-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Whatever the punishment may be, it will not include stripping of championships or forfeiting of previously played games.

The sheer magnitude of sports wagering would be severly hit, what happens when people show up for money they lost now that they won? It's not like people that won would show back up and write a check.

IMHO we will never see a forfeit of a previously played game, unless it was during the game.

HaRdKoReXXX
03-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Well they won't take the championships away from the Pats and that's fine. I don't think it's that drastic a thing. But I do believe they should be penalized even more, maybe sent to Antarctica for a few years.

Or at least South Jersey :tongue:

TomBradyWoot
03-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Is Matt the bitter Buffalo Bills fan ever going to talk football or about his Bills, or just keep beating the spygate horse to death. I mean really, you'd think spygate caused the Bills to lose 4 straight Super Bowls or something.

satz
03-28-2008, 09:23 PM
I've never heard the Tomase recanting point--link please?
Old boston hearld articles are archived and you have to pay to view to see that link.

I tryed looking for in their site but is asking me for $$

nephinsfan
03-29-2008, 04:54 AM
ever notice that only pats fans think that A) there is no tape and B) the punishment was harsh.

MLTKRT
03-29-2008, 09:58 AM
Is Matt the bitter Buffalo Bills fan ever going to talk football or about his Bills, or just keep beating the spygate horse to death. I mean really, you'd think spygate caused the Bills to lose 4 straight Super Bowls or something.

Until we hear from Walsh, the Spygate horse will not die.

17-0 > 18-1 :up:

Cowboys fan
03-29-2008, 10:40 AM
I'll be the first to give an opinion outside the AFC Eeast it seems. If it is discovered they cheated it needs to be punished again. The logic of already being punished makes no sense. They were punished for THAT incident. Does the loss of a first round pick justify making a mockery of a game we all love? Does it justify what happened to all those Rams players who put their bodies through hell and trained to play the game legitimately? Does it justify robbing the Rams of their own dynasty? If Belicheck did this, he, and the Patriots, are downright pathetic. It ruins the integrity of the game, and puts a blemish on not only the Patriots, but the entire NFL. It'll always cause people to question what happened in the past. What really bothers me, is how I keep seeing NE fans put up posts like, "Well everyone else does it, so why are you getting on us?" And that makes it ok? Any one else caught doing it needs to be punished too. I would have no problem if an investigation on Jimmy Johnson's Super Bowl years was investigated for the comments he made. Go ahead. I would be ashamed of those Super Bowl wins if it turns out they weren't legitimate. That would immediately strip the dynasty label from the Cowboys of the 90's. If this comes through, then NE is no dynasty. There would be no way to think that they would do it to the rams, then stopped doing it, and decided to do it again against the jets. I would expect a heavy hand to come down on NE. Yes, each incident deserves its own punishment. If you were in school, and it was discovered you passed one class by cheating, and then discovered you passed other classes by cheating, you think that school is gonna say, "They were already punished when they were caught first, let the rest slide." Its the same logic. There would be, is, and never will be anything that can be said to justify the situation if it is proven regardless of what the patriots or its fan spew at us.

MattM
03-29-2008, 11:17 AM
I'll be the first to give an opinion outside the AFC Eeast it seems. If it is discovered they cheated it needs to be punished again. The logic of already being punished makes no sense. They were punished for THAT incident. Does the loss of a first round pick justify making a mockery of a game we all love? Does it justify what happened to all those Rams players who put their bodies through hell and trained to play the game legitimately? Does it justify robbing the Rams of their own dynasty? If Belicheck did this, he, and the Patriots, are downright pathetic. It ruins the integrity of the game, and puts a blemish on not only the Patriots, but the entire NFL. It'll always cause people to question what happened in the past. What really bothers me, is how I keep seeing NE fans put up posts like, "Well everyone else does it, so why are you getting on us?" And that makes it ok? Any one else caught doing it needs to be punished too. I would have no problem if an investigation on Jimmy Johnson's Super Bowl years was investigated for the comments he made. Go ahead. I would be ashamed of those Super Bowl wins if it turns out they weren't legitimate. That would immediately strip the dynasty label from the Cowboys of the 90's. If this comes through, then NE is no dynasty. There would be no way to think that they would do it to the rams, then stopped doing it, and decided to do it again against the jets. I would expect a heavy hand to come down on NE. Yes, each incident deserves its own punishment. If you were in school, and it was discovered you passed one class by cheating, and then discovered you passed other classes by cheating, you think that school is gonna say, "They were already punished when they were caught first, let the rest slide." Its the same logic. There would be, is, and never will be anything that can be said to justify the situation if it is proven regardless of what the patriots or its fan spew at us.

Many thanks for the views--it's good to hear from folks outside our little AFCE Fishbowl (slight pun intended). The particular question I'm really curious about though is what people would think if Walsh produces a Rams SB walkthrough tape that he claims the Pats filmed and used and then the Pats deny that they were involved and say Walsh did it on his own. Would anyone (other than Pats fans) believe the Pats? Personally, I say I wouldn't no matter what they say, but that's just me. I'm curious what others think on that topic.

MattM
03-29-2008, 11:20 AM

I'll talk about whatever I damn well want to on here, dude. My question for you is so once the Pats "* dynasty" is over (which it may be now, but we'll see) who are you going to root for? I'm guessing you go back to being a Cowboys or Steelers fan myself, like I'm sure you were before 2002 or so, or maybe it will be whoever the next big thing is. Anyone else ever notice how many front-runner fans the Pats have? Folks who seemingly have no memory of the team before 2001? Remember, they had 19,000 season ticket holders in 1992 (in one of the largest cities in America, no less). It's hysterical really.

MattM
03-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Old boston hearld articles are archived and you have to pay to view to see that link.

I tryed looking for in their site but is asking me for $$

Thanks for trying, but I'd have to believe that that would have been pretty widely reported and I've never heard a whiff of that, so nothing personal, but I'll have to suspend belief on that one until someone provides me more evidence.

TomBradyWoot
03-29-2008, 02:45 PM
I'll talk about whatever I damn well want to on here, dude. My question for you is so once the Pats "* dynasty" is over (which it may be now, but we'll see) who are you going to root for? I'm guessing you go back to being a Cowboys or Steelers fan myself, like I'm sure you were before 2002 or so, or maybe it will be whoever the next big thing is. Anyone else ever notice how many front-runner fans the Pats have? Folks who seemingly have no memory of the team before 2001? Remember, they had 19,000 season ticket holders in 1992 (in one of the largest cities in America, no less). It's hysterical really.
Foxboro is not one of the largest cities in America.

Bills*!
* = losers of 4 super bowls in a row

MR NFLFAN
03-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Many thanks for the views--it's good to hear from folks outside our little AFCE Fishbowl (slight pun intended). The particular question I'm really curious about though is what people would think if Walsh produces a Rams SB walkthrough tape that he claims the Pats filmed and used and then the Pats deny that they were involved and say Walsh did it on his own. Would anyone (other than Pats fans) believe the Pats? Personally, I say I wouldn't no matter what they say, but that's just me. I'm curious what others think on that topic.

MattM
I don't think it would matter to you what evidence was presented by either party because you seem to have already passed judgement that the Patriots are guilty.

How would you feel if walsh brought out a tape of a rams walk thru and the Patriots brought out an audio tape of a conversation between Walsh and Pioli? Lets say they even went as far as to bring in ex pats employees that testify they were contacted by walsh and told by walsh himself he was going to get even with the patriots for his termination? Lets say they even brought in current employees that will swear under oath that walsh made secret audio tapes.

Just curous as to how that would weigh in on the notion that he did a walk thru taping on his own?

Cowboys fan
03-29-2008, 03:00 PM

Sorry, I must have missed your point. If a film was produced and the Pas denied it, I would still believe the Pats did it. It seems odd that such a high powered offense was shut down the way it was. Plus, how many people actually admit to cheating? Why else would Walsh have that tape? For his own amusement he thought it would be cool to tape the Rams walkthrough? If he produces a tape, I see no reason to doubt the Patriots cheated.

TomBradyWoot
03-29-2008, 03:08 PM
No reason to doubt? How about that Matt Walsh has (allegedly) been a proven liar. Sure, the Pats have been proven cheaters but they've admitted to it. Walsh (allegedly) is a liar and (allegedly) tapes conversations and denies it all. Why take his word over the Patriots? No reason to, other than your hate for the Patriots. I guess I'm in the same boat with my love for the Patriots, but if they did it, then they did it and deserve the punishment handed down to them. Would I stop being a fan? Of course not. It's my hometown team and I'll be around for whatever reasons.

And the dynasty isn't over. Alot of people (including yourself, I'm more than positive) has said every offseason "It's over, this is it, move X is going to do them in".

But NFLFAN brings up a good point. What if Walsh says HERE IS THE TAPE! and Pioli comes out and says HERE IS THE AUDIO OF HIM TAPING CONVERSATIONS WITHOUT PERMISSION!

Do you still believe Walsh, despite knowing he tapes conversations (and who knows what else) without permission?

MR NFLFAN
03-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Sorry, I must have missed your point. If a film was produced and the Pas denied it, I would still believe the Pats did it. It seems odd that such a high powered offense was shut down the way it was. Plus, how many people actually admit to cheating? Why else would Walsh have that tape? For his own amusement he thought it would be cool to tape the Rams walkthrough? If he produces a tape, I see no reason to doubt the Patriots cheated.

That is a good question and it needs to be answered before anyone should be taken merely on their word. One reason comes to mind...exstortion perhaps? He has made light of the deep pockets of the Patriots and the league which in fact was his reasoning for needing indemnity.

The fact that he has stolen property (if he actually does have tapes) brings up another important question.
What was the original reason Matt Walsh stole this material 7 yrs ago? He had to have had a reason for taking it in the first place. Greed and money are often the motive behind many crimes.

I think if you answer those questions it could make or break the likelyhood a covert taping of a rams walk thru could have been made by Walsh.

MattM
03-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Foxboro is not one of the largest cities in America.

Bills*!
* = losers of 4 super bowls in a row

Ugh, isn't Boston metro one of the largest metro areas in the US:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_metropolitan_areas

I found another one listing it as 7, but you get the picture (or maybe you don't ,but then again, I'm not responsible for your education).

Patriots*, Largest Choke Job in NFL History

MattM
03-30-2008, 05:56 PM
In terms of the hooey on why believe Walsh over the Pats*, what Pats* fans don't seem to get is the fact that the existence of the tape itself is all that anyone objective really needs to see here. It is extremely, extremely, extremely unlikely that he would have done this himself, no matter how the Pats* spin it. The only way I'd disbelieve Walsh in such a case is if Walsh himself was caught on tape himself telling someone he did it on his own. I just want us to get to the phase where we learn what Walsh has or doesn't have. Hopefully that will be soon, once the NFL stops stalling. I'd love to see the correspondence Specter was referring to a couple of weeks ago which he says shows that the NFL isn't serious about having Walsh come forward. In that same interview, Specter implied that there may be a tape of the SB walkthrough after all ("there are strong reports there are tapes" or some such was what he said). Hey, Pats* fans--if Specter has seen the correspondence, do you think there's a decent chance he's also already seen the tapes and that's why he's pushing on this?

Would love to find out what the truth is on this, but I guess we'll need to wait and see.....

MR NFLFAN
03-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Sorry Matt but I don't agree with you. Even though you think its extremely, extremely extremely unlikely its is also in fact entirely possible that Walsh could have shot a tape on his own. You spin it like its a simple black and white issue when nothing could be further from reality. As far as truly objective people any objective person would wonder why Walsh is in possesion of stolen property in the first place. I'd like to hear an answer for that question. By the way you seemed to have skipped right over my questions from my last response to you so I'll post it again.

How would you feel if walsh brought out a tape of a rams walk thru and the Patriots brought out an audio tape of a conversation between Walsh and Pioli? Lets say they even went as far as to bring in ex pats employees that testify they were contacted by walsh and told by walsh himself he was going to get even with the patriots for his termination? Lets say they even brought in current employees that will swear under oath that walsh made secret audio tapes.

Just curous as to how that would weigh in on the notion that he did a walk thru taping on his own?

TomBradyWoot
03-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Come on NFLFAN, you know for Matt the bitter Bills* fan it doesn't matter. He's assumed guilt no matter what happens. Walsh could come on ESPN tomorrow and say I LIED ABOUT IT ALL, I HAVE NO TAPE, AND I RECORDED CONVERSATIONS REGARDING MYSELF AND MR. PIOLI - and it's not going to matter. He's just going to say "Well that's what they paid him to say!". Spygate hadn't been brought up in a while and he felt the need to stir the pot again, that's all this is. The Globe has posted quotes about employees saying Walsh wanted to tape it, saying they should've taped it, and believe that he actually might have taped it - but that doesn't matter. All he's coming back with is "The Patriots fed him the information".

And as for your Foxboro one of the largest cities/Boston one of the largest metro areas, Matt the bitter Bills* fan, Boston is barely in the top 10 (at #10) in largest metro area according to the wiki link, and Foxboro isn't even included.

Bills* = Losers of 4 Super Bowls in a row (and they managed to choke four years in a row!) :lol:

MattM
03-31-2008, 10:16 PM
Come on NFLFAN, you know for Matt the bitter Bills* fan it doesn't matter. He's assumed guilt no matter what happens. Walsh could come on ESPN tomorrow and say I LIED ABOUT IT ALL, I HAVE NO TAPE, AND I RECORDED CONVERSATIONS REGARDING MYSELF AND MR. PIOLI - and it's not going to matter. He's just going to say "Well that's what they paid him to say!". Spygate hadn't been brought up in a while and he felt the need to stir the pot again, that's all this is. The Globe has posted quotes about employees saying Walsh wanted to tape it, saying they should've taped it, and believe that he actually might have taped it - but that doesn't matter. All he's coming back with is "The Patriots fed him the information".

And as for your Foxboro one of the largest cities/Boston one of the largest metro areas, Matt the bitter Bills* fan, Boston is barely in the top 10 (at #10) in largest metro area according to the wiki link, and Foxboro isn't even included.

Bills* = Losers of 4 Super Bowls in a row (and they managed to choke four years in a row!) :lol:

Seen where Buffalo is on that list? How about the fact that the Boston metro area is at least 3-5 times that of Buffalo and still couldn't sell more than 19,000 season tickets in 1992--what a joke.

So, if you're a typical Pats* "fan", who will it be after the Pats*' fall, back to the Cowboys or maybe the Steelers? Who else is an up and coming team? Do you even know who John Hannah, Steve Grogan or Mosi Tatupu are without looking them upon Wikipedia/Google?

MattM
03-31-2008, 10:22 PM
Sorry Matt but I don't agree with you. Even though you think its extremely, extremely extremely unlikely its is also in fact entirely possible that Walsh could have shot a tape on his own. You spin it like its a simple black and white issue when nothing could be further from reality. As far as truly objective people any objective person would wonder why Walsh is in possesion of stolen property in the first place. I'd like to hear an answer for that question. By the way you seemed to have skipped right over my questions from my last response to you so I'll post it again.

If he taped Pioli (or anyone else), it would depend on what the substance of those discussions are. If they had nothing to do with the walkthrough, that wouldn't change my opinion of it one bit. In such case, the tape's existence in his hands (absent other very cogent evidence to disprove its authenticity as Pats* orchestrated) is sufficient to me and most non-Pats* homers to implicate New England and BB & Co. It's ridiculous to anyone other than a Pats* fan that this guy would do that on his own while still employed by the team 6 years ago to use it to wait until now to get even with them. It just doesn't compute--if he was pissed off back then about getting fired as you're saying, why did he only wait until now at the prodding of an army of reporters , to turn this over. Same answer with the "getting even" story. Walsh may be less than a choirboy, but that doesn't mean he's lying here, especially in the hypothetical we've set up of him having hard evidence to back his contention on the Rams game. Absent that, if it comes down to a "he said, he said", that's a different story, but in the hypothetical you've been given, that doesn't do it for me, sorry, or, I suspect, anyone else not wearing Pats* colors.

TomBradyWoot
03-31-2008, 11:14 PM
So Matt the bitter Bills* fan, it doesn't compute yet you see no oddity with the fact that a man let go in 2003 would leave with an alleged tape? Or the fact that he won't talk despite the fact that the Patriots organization has come out and said there was no confidentiality agreement? Robert Kraft just said it again today. There is no confidentiality agreement. Therefore, there's no reason for him to not talk. I'm sure his lawyer could easily come out with the copy of the agreement and say LOOK, HE HAS ONE, THE ORGANIZATION IS LYING - and you know what, it'd do great damage to the case of the Patriots and he knows it (as well as keeping his name in the press, since he's allegedly doing this pro bono, that's what he gets out of this). Yet, that hasn't happened.

I'm sure Matt the bitter Bills* fan won't take that for it's word though. He'll look into some conspiracy by Roger Goodell as to why it's all happening.

No to mention that Buffalo being smaller than Boston (where the Patriots don't even play - hell Providence, RI is closer to Foxboro than Boston, MA) has nothing to do with any of this, nor does the point that Patriots struggled to sell tickets when the NFL wasn't 1/4 as popular as it is now and the team was 1-15 in a terrible stadium heading to bankruptcy before Kraft purchased it.

MR NFLFAN
04-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Interesting article on foxsports today from a fox reporter who was there.

If Walsh doesn't have evidence, let's move on
by John Czarnecki (http://msn.foxsports.com/writer/archive?authorId=211)

Basically what Belichick seems to be saying is: If Walsh really had a tape, don't you think he would have produced it by now? Don't you think it would have been on 60 Minutes or a comparable news show?
And there might be something to that.
As part of my job with FOX Sports, I was in the Superdome on the Saturday in question. The Rams were in their game uniforms, running around and generally relaxing waiting to take their team photo for the Super Bowl. There were wooden risers on the field. There were times when I was on the field actually talking to Kurt Warner and other players and some of the teams' executives that I have known for more than 20 years.
If there was a walk-through that day, it was the most disorganized one ever assembled. Many of the players were there to simply unwind and relax and test out the carpet. And don't forget, the Rams were very familiar with the Superdome because the Saints were still in their division. They had played there during the regular season.
What I do remember of that week was that Rams coach Mike Martz was extremely nervous about practicing at the Saints' facility because he feared Jim Haslett and his staff would be taping his practices. He wanted their coaches removed from the building. That didn't happen, but all of the windows that faced the practice field had their drapes closed. Remember, this was a time when Haslett, now the Rams defensive coordinator, and Martz really didn't get along. There was a real rivalry between the two and their teams. So yes, Martz was concerned about being videotaped, but it was by the Saints' staff, not the Patriots.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7977198/If-Walsh-doesn't-have-evidence,-let's-move-on

I don't know what Martz would have to fear after all nobody else except the patriots videotaped now did they...or did they?