PDA

View Full Version : Recombine the pofo?

Wildbill3
03-30-2008, 02:11 AM
Yes or no is fine. i'll keep the poll open for a few days. if after a day or so we have an overwhelming answer one way or the other i'll make it happen or leave it along.

Anyway, the plan would be to recombine the pofo, religion, and science forums.

Dolphin39
03-30-2008, 08:09 AM
Please keep them separated!

Alex44
03-30-2008, 08:21 AM
Not that I'm a major poster in them but I say we keep them seperated.

Religious debates and political debates should be kept seperate. IMO

Pagan
03-31-2008, 11:12 AM
I see D7 has voted. :lol:

Wildbill3
03-31-2008, 11:20 AM
I see D7 has voted. :lol:actually the one to vote for it ... was me. lol So um. :baghead:

Pagan
03-31-2008, 11:52 AM
Okay...it'll get 2 votes then. :tongue:

Dolphan7
03-31-2008, 01:41 PM
To me it doesn't matter. I like the idea that we have just one forum to monitor. Invariably religion is mixed in with science and then with politics and election issues. They are all entertwined together in real life. My only complaint has been not the fact that they were seperated in the first place, but the reasons and motivation behind it.

I could live with it either way, but since the question was asked - combine.

Dolphan7
03-31-2008, 01:46 PM
I would add this - The politics forum has for the most part been isolated to just that - politics.

But the religion and science forums often times overlap.

I would suggest we re-combine the religion and science forums and leave politics as it is.

Therefore I would have voted for options 3, none of the above, with this solution.

Wildbill3
03-31-2008, 01:52 PM
I would add this - The politics forum has for the most part been isolated to just that - politics.

But the religion and science forums often times overlap.

I would suggest we re-combine the religion and science forums and leave politics as it is.

Therefore I would have voted for options 3, none of the above, with this solution.it is looking like the move to recombine them is going to be nixed. so i'll reconsider another pole to merge your suggestion D7. :up:

Pagan
03-31-2008, 11:00 PM
No offense, but the science and religion discussions only overlap when you bring religion into it D7.

Take the thread about the newly discovered dinosaur for instance. Had you not brought religion into it I'd bet you a month's paycheck that it wouldn't have been mentioned at all.

Also if you'll notice, not all of the religions involved with this board get thrown into scientific discussions.

And no, this isn't an attack. Just a statement of the obvious.

I think for the most part, people who discuss science don't want religion in th mix. That's why it was separated in the first place.

Dolphan7
04-01-2008, 12:09 PM
No offense, but the science and religion discussions only overlap when you bring religion into it D7.

Take the thread about the newly discovered dinosaur for instance. Had you not brought religion into it I'd bet you a month's paycheck that it wouldn't have been mentioned at all.

Also if you'll notice, not all of the religions involved with this board get thrown into scientific discussions.

And no, this isn't an attack. Just a statement of the obvious.

I think for the most part, people who discuss science don't want religion in th mix. That's why it was separated in the first place.I don't take offense, but this is the second time I have had to address with you that this is a free and open forum for people to express their views, whether the forums are combined or separated will not change that. Your underlying suggestion is that posters, and in this case myself, stop expressing their views and that is not something that this site is all about.

I would like to not be subjected to all the Bush/Obama/McCain/Billary bashing in the POFO. Sure would make my reading more pleasurable, but not at the sake of restricting other posters input.

I understand people will take offense, that is a reality of life my friend.

I remind you again that there are features you can use to make your time here more pleasurable. Just ignore the poster, or the subject, or the forum.

We really can't stop people from expressing their views, but we can control the views that we choose to read and respond to.

Cheers!

Pagan
04-01-2008, 12:30 PM
I don't take offense, but this is the second time I have had to address with you that this is a free and open forum for people to express their views, whether the forums are combined or separated will not change that. Your underlying suggestion is that posters, and in this case myself, stop expressing their views and that is not something that this site is all about.
And where does keeping the discussion in it's appropriate forum constitute stopping people from expressing their views? If I posted about hockey in the Dolphins forum, would it not be moved?

Have you ever once thought that people might want to discuss science without you having to turn it into a forum to prove your beliefs are true?

What I'm saying is that this is why the forums were split. So that people who want to discuss science don't have religion thrown into it. And the same is true for the opposite, evolution discussion shouldn't be in the religion forum either.

I remind you again that there are features you can use to make your time here more pleasurable. Just ignore the poster, or the subject, or the forum.

We really can't stop people from expressing their views, but we can control the views that we choose to read and respond to.

Cheers!
And the same is true for you. You CAN choose to not read the scientific posts, and instead read the ones that favor your views, no?

This has nothing to do with opinions, it has to do with people wanting to stay on topic. You turned a great thread about a wonderful scientific discovery into a podium to prove one of your bible stories.

No one - myself included - is saying you can't discuss such things. What is being said, and thought by I'm sure alot of people who won't voice their opinion the way I am, is that the forum was split for a reason. People obviously got weary of you turning most scientific threads into homilies, or else the forums wouldn't have been split in the first place.

Just as you're telling me people can ignore your posts, YOU can ignore a forum. The sword cuts both ways, my friend.

Cheers to you too!

Wildbill3
04-01-2008, 01:01 PM
And where does keeping the discussion in it's appropriate forum constitute stopping people from expressing their views? If I posted about hockey in the Dolphins forum, would it not be moved?

Have you ever once thought that people might want to discuss science without you having to turn it into a forum to prove your beliefs are true?

What I'm saying is that this is why the forums were split. So that people who want to discuss science don't have religion thrown into it. And the same is true for the opposite, evolution discussion shouldn't be in the religion forum either.

And the same is true for you. You CAN choose to not read the scientific posts, and instead read the ones that favor your views, no?

This has nothing to do with opinions, it has to do with people wanting to stay on topic. You turned a great thread about a wonderful scientific discovery into a podium to prove one of your bible stories.

No one - myself included - is saying you can't discuss such things. What is being said, and thought by I'm sure alot of people who won't voice their opinion the way I am, is that the forum was split for a reason. People obviously got weary of you turning most scientific threads into homilies, or else the forums wouldn't have been split in the first place.

Just as you're telling me people can ignore your posts, YOU can ignore a forum. The sword cuts both ways, my friend.

Cheers to you too!Actually He can't ignore this forum. :up:But as i've said it looks like a moot point as in all 3 polls, it seems the idea of combining them isn't going to pass. Now, where is that beer. Nice debate btw.

Dol-Fan Dupree
04-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Actually He can't ignore this forum. :up:But as i've said it looks like a moot point as in all 3 polls, it seems the idea of combining them isn't going to pass. Now, where is that beer. Nice debate btw.

There isn't an "ignore forum" button on the web, however his brain has the ability to ignore the science forum.

In fact I believe that to fully respect people that if he feels to bring a religious discussion to the science discussion to copy the thread and put it into the religious forum and write his views. Then everyone would be happy.

Dolphan7
04-01-2008, 02:29 PM
And where does keeping the discussion in it's appropriate forum constitute stopping people from expressing their views? If I posted about hockey in the Dolphins forum, would it not be moved?Where a thread is housed in relation to it's proper forum is an interesting subject of it's own, but is quite different than posting responses to a thread topic. What you are saying is that in a science forum, (and who determines it is science is still another debate), people who disagree with said science cannot post there. If I were to post a scientific article on creation, what forum should it be in? I mean it is science after all right? Who is going to determine what is science and what isn't? You? Me? Finheaven?

Have you ever once thought that people might want to discuss science without you having to turn it into a forum to prove your beliefs are true? Well I know one such person.:) I am sure there are others. I wonder how many people would love to talk about just religion in the religion forum, but have to deal with points of views that are inflamatory, rude, suggestive, derogatory, ridiculing etc........

What I'm saying is that this is why the forums were split. So that people who want to discuss science don't have religion thrown into it. And the same is true for the opposite, evolution discussion shouldn't be in the religion forum either.Well in a perfect world this could happen, reality says different. Evolution stakes it's claim to science and assumes it's authority over all science, and attempts to restrict and eliminate all thought that contradicts the belief in evolution. Creationists argue that not only is evolution falsifiable, but there is good evidence that something else is responsible for our existance, whether that be god, gods, goddesses, aliens etc.....You being a man of faith also should understand this.

Splitting the science and religion forums is an attempt to do the exact same thing, stifle debate on the highly controversial issue of evolution vs. creation. And your viewpoint on the subject reinforces that.

And the same is true for you. You CAN choose to not read the scientific posts, and instead read the ones that favor your views, no?Why would I want to ignore something I enjoy reading and posting on? I don't have a problem with it. And I would never seek to restrict those opinions that I disagree with, ever.

This has nothing to do with opinions, it has to do with people wanting to stay on topic. You turned a great thread about a wonderful scientific discovery into a podium to prove one of your bible stories.Now there you have a valid point. There are threads that do get off topic, and as a moderator now I will try to clean that up, even if I myself are the guilty party. I will give you that.

No one - myself included - is saying you can't discuss such things. What is being said, and thought by I'm sure alot of people who won't voice their opinion the way I am, is that the forum was split for a reason. People obviously got weary of you turning most scientific threads into homilies, or else the forums wouldn't have been split in the first place.But splitting does not prevent people from posting there, and that is the point. You can't just say "this is the science forum, all you religion people stay out". Don't work that way brother. But staying on topic should be the goal in every forum thread.

Just as you're telling me people can ignore your posts, YOU can ignore a forum. The sword cuts both ways, my friend.Again why would I ignore a forum that I have no problem posting in or reading about?

Pagan this is how you are being perceived:

Science Forum - religious people stay out.
Religion Forum - religious people you can only post here.

Now having said this, I have a solution.

There is very good articles and news on science that has nothing to do with our origins. Those items belong in the science and technology department. Science is great and we all benefit from discovery.

But there is science that is all about our origins, and that is the highly controversial issue of our time. This demands it's own forum called creation vs evolution, or evolution vs creation, I don't care. In there the debate can rage on and people know and expect what it is about when they go in there. I have seen this same set-up on other sites. It works.

The religion forum can be for those items that are strictly about peoples faith, their beliefs, their stories, different sects of Christianity, differing beliefs within Christianity, or whatever religion it is etc....

Your views and input to this site are extremely valuable Pagan. You are just as much a part of this site as anyone else and no one wants to see anyone discouraged when they come here, as much as it can be avoided.

Does this solution work for you?

Wildbill3
04-01-2008, 02:51 PM
There isn't an "ignore forum" button on the web, however his brain has the ability to ignore the science forum.

In fact I believe that to fully respect people that if he feels to bring a religious discussion to the science discussion to copy the thread and put it into the religious forum and write his views. Then everyone would be happy.Wildbill posting in the expanded pofo forums... sigh. My opinion (and i've mellowed out a tad bit) is that we are beating a dead horse. whatever the forum may be, as long as people keep the PA's out of it, people should post as they feel. It should always be that way. Look at it this way, what makes this fun isn't everyone agreeing, or always being happy with the outcome of a debate, its the journey of a given debate.

One of the reasons I wanted to recombine them was the very fact of overlapping debate/viewpoints on many of the subjects. Honestly where someone makes a post right now is mostly a judgement call. With as many bright posters as we have in the Pofo forums, any of us could make an arguement that X thread should be in Y forum.

But I'm going to let this poll run its course and of course this debate we have going on now. :up:

Pagan
04-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Pagan this is how you are being perceived:

Science Forum - religious people stay out.
Religion Forum - religious people you can only post here.
You have perceived wrongly. I never said that religious people need to stay out of the science forum and vice versa. What I was saying was that it'd be nice to read a science thread without it being turned into a theological debate.

And the opposite also, religious threads shouldn't be turned into arguments either. Like I've said before, this is one of the main reasons I don't share my faith in public forums. Not worth the hassle. ;)

Now having said this, I have a solution.

There is very good articles and news on science that has nothing to do with our origins. Those items belong in the science and technology department. Science is great and we all benefit from discovery.

But there is science that is all about our origins, and that is the highly controversial issue of our time. This demands it's own forum called creation vs evolution, or evolution vs creation, I don't care. In there the debate can rage on and people know and expect what it is about when they go in there. I have seen this same set-up on other sites. It works.

The religion forum can be for those items that are strictly about peoples faith, their beliefs, their stories, different sects of Christianity, differing beliefs within Christianity, or whatever religion it is etc....

Your views and input to this site are extremely valuable Pagan. You are just as much a part of this site as anyone else and no one wants to see anyone discouraged when they come here, as much as it can be avoided.

Does this solution work for you?
Call Satan and see if it's snowing down there, D7...I actually agree with you. :lol:

Dolphan7
04-01-2008, 04:52 PM
You have perceived wrongly. I never said that religious people need to stay out of the science forum and vice versa. What I was saying was that it'd be nice to read a science thread without it being turned into a theological debate.

And the opposite also, religious threads shouldn't be turned into arguments either. Like I've said before, this is one of the main reasons I don't share my faith in public forums. Not worth the hassle. ;)

Call Satan and see if it's snowing down there, D7...I actually agree with you. :lol:Oh crap! I lost his number! You have it? :lol:

Pagan
04-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Oh crap! I lost his number! You have it? :lol:
Used to have it but can't find it now. I'm sure there's a "666" in there somewhere though.

Dolphan7
04-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Used to have it but can't find it now. I'm sure there's a "666" in there somewhere though.Oh You found it! Great!

Ok Satan, we have your number now!:)

Wildbill3
04-01-2008, 06:43 PM
You know I bet satan would be hella (pun intended) fun to party with, until you passed out, then I bet he'd do mean things to you while you sleep.

Dol-Fan Dupree
04-01-2008, 06:44 PM
You know I bet satan would be hella (pun intended) fun to party with, until you passed out, then I bet he'd do mean things to you while you sleep.

when you party with Satan it is a good idea to be the DD

WSE
04-01-2008, 06:46 PM
I say yes

in a lot of cases, politics and religion and science all go together.

plus, it will be more active in a one stop shop

Pagan
04-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Well you know the music would definitely be better. :thumbup:

Dolphan7
04-02-2008, 01:30 AM
Well you know there will be plenty of chicks down there, becasue the good book says that there will be no women in Heaven.

How do we know this?

Rev 8:1 When he opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour.

Wildbill3
04-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Well you know there will be plenty of chicks down there, becasue the good book says that there will be no women in Heaven.

How do we know this?

Rev 8:1 When he opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour. well that silence doesn't mean there weren't any women... um maybe they were just able to talk for some reason or another...:lol:

Joker2thief
04-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Science and Religion shouldn't even be allowed in the same sentence.

Wildbill3
04-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Science and Religion shouldn't even be allowed in the same sentence.
You do see the irony in that statement? :lol:

Dol-Fan Dupree
04-02-2008, 02:48 PM
You do see the irony in that statement? :lol:

He forgot to add, "Other than this one,"

Dolphan7
04-02-2008, 03:13 PM
:sidelol::sidelol:

Oh I hope I get to the bathroom before it's too late!

ih8brady
04-06-2008, 09:05 PM

I don't want to do it if Diddy did it...What didn't Diddy do?
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/04/1011partyonsatan-1.jpg

His'nBeatYour'n
04-21-2008, 12:53 PM
I came too late to vote in the poll, which supports my vote, to recombine them. When they were originally separated it made some sense because there was so much PoFo activity that it made sense to sort out the threads. But since coming back, the PoFo has been active, but much slower than before the big crash.