View Full Version : Madden Question

Chubby
08-29-2003, 04:16 PM
Whats better for salary cap purposes?

To sign players to longer deals with Less salary
or to sign players for shorter deals higher salary
and
How does Bonus affect the Salary!

I saw a couple of threads on this but still not clear to me!

Barbarian
08-29-2003, 06:40 PM
Well, it depends. Signing a player to a longer contract allows you to spread out the Signing bonus over a longer period of time and allows you to more heavily backload the contract.

The trade off is though that with longer contracts players usually want more money. If I know for certain that a guy is a lynchpin and can sign him to a decent contract, I'll try and wrap him up for a long time, but guys nearing the end of their carreer are probably better off with only 2 or 3 year deals with a large Bonus and small salary.

Bonuses affect the salary cap like this.
The bonus is split up into near even amounts over the length of the contract (For example a $4 mill bonus on a 4 year contract will count as $1 million each year against the cap)

if you cut the player though, then the remaining Bonus amount counts against your cap for the folloing year in one big lump sum.

Prime Time
08-29-2003, 11:01 PM
Chubby I am the Madden King!! on this site :D...and would have answered that quickly but Barbarian beat me too it...if you have any more questions I will try to answer them ASAP.

Chubby
09-02-2003, 12:33 PM
Primetime do you have anything to add to it?

Prime Time
09-02-2003, 11:47 PM
Nope, pretty much just what Barbarian said. He covered it very well...do you still have questions?

MarinoFan4Life
09-03-2003, 12:53 AM
When a guy retires, does his salary still count against the cap? Or does the contract go away... Because, if it doesn't count against the cap, shouldn't you just sign him to a 7-year deal for a TON of money in the last 3-4 years and pay him a little bit of money in his last couple years with the team... Just my thoughts, but I don't know how it even works.

VanDolPhan
09-03-2003, 02:56 PM
It depends. If your signing a young guy with a future then give him the bling bling (don't try to cheap him down cause he will hold out later). If your signing a guy who you don't think will be with the team in a few years then sign him to a 5 year deal with extra total salary but a very low signing bonus (no more then 250k) that way after 2 years you can trade em while taking little of a hit.

Never do deals with higher then $1 million signing bonuses if you expect to keep that player the length of the contract. If you expect to do that then chip down the total salary and bump up the signing bonus.

If it's a one year deal then you can cut a little out of the total salary but bump the signing bonus right up so they will accept a smaller deal because you pay most of it up front.

MarinoFan4Life
09-03-2003, 11:08 PM
You didn't answer my first question... what happens when a player retires with time left on his contract?

VanDolPhan
09-04-2003, 06:29 AM
Not sure. Haven't kept track of it. Usually the guys who retire on me were low end contracts to begin with.

MarinoFan4Life
09-04-2003, 12:24 PM
Thanks buddy... Prime Time, do you have any idea?

Prime Time
09-04-2003, 11:13 PM
When a player retires his cap vanishes from your account. It wouldn't affect your salary anymore...or it shouldn't.

MarinoFan4Life
09-05-2003, 01:11 AM
Thanks PT... so, on a guy on the tail end of his career... sign him to a LONG deal... and it will backload it. Then you pay him the least amount possible for the rest of his career