PDA

View Full Version : 8 arrested in teen beating caught on tape

Joker2thief
04-08-2008, 09:25 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/sfl-orl-0408beating,0,65703.story

Was hard for me to watch at times.Sad
I just saw on the news that one of the mothers is defending her daughters actions-because the victim insulted her on myspace.

arsenal
04-08-2008, 09:45 AM
did they even say what it was over? i didn't listen with sound cause im at work

Joker2thief
04-08-2008, 10:10 AM
In the news they reported that she apparently posted an insult about another girl on myspace.When you listen to the video you can hear her being questioned as to why she doesn't like this girl or this girl-and then is called a liar for her response and then gets beat worse.One of the mothers actually defended her daughters actions-stating that the victim posted an insult about her daughter on myspace.

Amars
04-08-2008, 10:31 AM
I hope the judge throws the book at them. I hate cowards who need to gang up on one person .

Phin-o-rama
04-08-2008, 10:43 AM
i was aroused by that video....does that make me a bad person?

retired opfinistic
04-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Sad.

BO KNOWS
04-08-2008, 11:25 AM
I hope the judge throws the book at them. I hate cowards who need to gang up on one person . I agree 100%

Bumpus
04-08-2008, 03:53 PM
I hope the judge throws the book at them. I hate cowards who need to gang up on one person .

I second that.

Dolphan7
04-08-2008, 04:00 PM
More and more we are becomming a morally bankrupt society.

Section126
04-08-2008, 04:01 PM
i was aroused by that video....does that make me a bad person?

It only makes you a bad person if you did something about it.

Wildbill3
04-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Horrible. 8 people there and all of them were bullies, gah... not one person there had any moral courage.

spydertl79
04-08-2008, 05:16 PM
It only makes you a bad person if you did something about it.:couch3:

greatwade
04-08-2008, 06:24 PM
More and more we are becomming a morally bankrupt society.

bull****. we were just as morally broke 1500 years ago, if not moreso, than today.

ash whoopings all round

MassFinFan06
04-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Those shallow b*tches need to be put through the wringer in jail....only cowards gang up like that........eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth!:shakeno:

Pocoloco
04-08-2008, 08:13 PM
well, she was going to get her butt kicked either way. At least get a couple good shots in before they get you for good

Dolphan7
04-08-2008, 08:29 PM
bull****. we were just as morally broke 1500 years ago, if not moreso, than today.

ash whoopings all roundRight. America is how old?

Individual morality was much higher in the past than it is today in American society. I am not talking about empires and nations and huge churches. I am talking about individual morality.

Pluck a kid from 1770 and one from 2008 and compare their morality.

The kid from 1770 would have respect for women, respect for authority, respect for himself. Honesty, integrity, polite, believed in a divine being more likely than not.

The kid from 2008?

Stroll down one of our finest achievements in education. The American High School:

The F word is used as every part of speech, in every classroom in every hall. And it is considered a badge of honor to cuss.
Look at the blatant disrespect for authority in the schools. I am surprised that the teachers can take it, it is becoming a dangerous and thankless job.
There is a blatant lack of respect for personal property and for their own bodies. Tattoos, piercing etc..
Sex outside of marriage is something that is sought after and is considered a badge of honor among young males, and even among females. Thank you women’s lib.
Teen drug and alcohol abuse is rampant. Once again a badge of honor.
Teen pregnancy and thus abortion very common place. Where once it was shameful, now is "Oh well whatever". We teach them not to value life.
How many of these kids are from broken families, this is due to the high rate of divorce among their parents. Once a proud institution it now is being threatened from within and now by the homosexual agenda.
Teen suicide is increasing. Have we not provided enough hope in our children that they wouldn't resort to such a devastating end? Take out the purpose for living and this is what you get. We teach them there is no hope, no purpose and life has no value or meaning.
Everyone has to express their opinion, and back it up with brute force. This suppresses free thought and speech and intimidates those who aren’t as big and strong, making opposing viewpoints impossible. This is intolerance. Gone are the days when people could just agree to disagree.
Our children are selfish. It is all about them and what they want. Very materialistic. Ipods and cellphones define this generation. And try to take one away from them is like inciting a riot. It is their right!
These kids are obese. We took away exercise and going outside and replaced it with computers and Nintendo and Xbox. And we feed them a diet of high fat and calories.
What about the test scores as compared to the rest of the world. We once dominated in all categories. Today our kids need calculators or cash registers to add and subtract. And spelling and grammar and expression are much to be desired. Where once we said “ My dearly beloved Oh how I long for the day when I can cast my glance upon you and smell the freshness of your beauty like the smell of the flowers on a new spring day”….to this……Come here B**ch I want to **** you. Thank you rap music and that whole culture. You have dumbed down our society.

Amars
04-08-2008, 11:15 PM
heard the girls are in Juvi and the 18yr old boy is charged with a felony.

tucker
04-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Right. America is how old?

Individual morality was much higher in the past than it is today in American society. I am not talking about empires and nations and huge churches. I am talking about individual morality.

The kid from 1770 would have respect for women, respect for authority, respect for himself. Honesty, integrity, polite, believed in a divine being more likely than not.

The kid from 2008?

Stroll down one of our finest achievements in education. The American High School:

The F word is used as every part of speech, in every classroom in every hall. And it is considered a badge of honor to cuss.
Look at the blatant disrespect for authority in the schools. I am surprised that the teachers can take it, it is becoming a dangerous and thankless job.
There is a blatant lack of respect for personal property and for their own bodies. Tattoos, piercing etc..
Sex outside of marriage is something that is sought after and is considered a badge of honor among young males, and even among females. Thank you women’s lib.
Teen pregnancy and thus abortion very common place. Where once it was shameful, now is "Oh well whatever". We teach them not to value life.
How many of these kids are from broken families, this is due to the high rate of divorce among their parents. Once a proud institution it now is being threatened from within and now by the homosexual agenda.
Teen suicide is increasing. Have we not provided enough hope in our children that they wouldn't resort to such a devastating end? Take out the purpose for living and this is what you get. We teach them there is no hope, no purpose and life has no value or meaning.
Everyone has to express their opinion, and back it up with brute force. This suppresses free thought and speech and intimidates those who aren’t as big and strong, making opposing viewpoints impossible. This is intolerance. Gone are the days when people could just agree to disagree.
Our children are selfish. It is all about them and what they want. Very materialistic. Ipods and cellphones define this generation. And try to take one away from them is like inciting a riot. It is their right!
These kids are obese. We took away exercise and going outside and replaced it with computers and Nintendo and Xbox. And we feed them a diet of high fat and calories.
What about the test scores as compared to the rest of the world. We once dominated in all categories. Today our kids need calculators or cash registers to add and subtract. And spelling and grammar and expression are much to be desired. Where once we said “ My dearly beloved Oh how I long for the day when I can cast my glance upon you and smell the freshness of your beauty like the smell of the flowers on a new spring day”….to this……Come here B**ch I want to **** you. Thank you rap music and that whole culture. You have dumbed down our society.
thats just us evolving tho

PhinzN703
04-09-2008, 01:19 PM
:couch3:

:d-day:

Clipse
04-09-2008, 01:21 PM

The kid from 2008?

Nicely said... This country is really starting to lose it. I just took trips to Amsterdam and Bavaria and It's amazing how happy people are there and the crime rate is extremly low compared to ours. And anyone who has to gang up on somebody is a pu$$y and their punishment should be... getting their *** beat by a group of people the same way the commenced their *** beating of that girl.

ih8brady
04-09-2008, 01:31 PM

The kid from 2008?

It's easy to buy into the hype, stereotypes and moral panic to believe that everyone is the same as that criminal you see on the fear-pimping local newscast, but do you have any actual evidence beyond the hypothetical? Percentage based statistics of heinous crimes on the rise? Remember, the population back then was about 1/7th of what it is now, and there was no mass media and internet to replay ad naseum street crimes.

And where did you get that description of today's youth. Be honest(remember the importance of honesty;))...you copied and pasted it from somewhere. And a lot of the assaults are irrelevant to morality. How is video-game playing, tattoos or lack of superstitions immorality in any way?

Dolphan7
04-09-2008, 01:47 PM
It's easy to buy into the hype, stereotypes and moral panic to believe that everyone is the same as that criminal you see on the fear-pimping local newscast, but do you have any actual evidence beyond the hypothetical? Percentage based statistics of heinous crimes on the rise? Remember, the population back then was about 1/7th of what it is now, and there was no mass media and internet to replay ad naseum street crimes.

And where did you get that description of today's youth. Be honest(remember the importance of honesty;))...you copied and pasted it from somewhere. And a lot of the assaults are irrelevant to morality. How is video-game playing, tattoos or lack of superstitions immorality in any way?Actually I wrote it myself based on my observations from walking in my kids schools. But it isn't limited to schools, just go to the local mall and you can witness the same things. Ever watch some of the reality shows on TV? Check out the kids and how spoiled and selfish and disrespectfull they are. Watch the news, internet articles, etc.....

Bumpus
04-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Actually I wrote it myself based on my observations from walking in my kids schools. But it isn't limited to schools, just go to the local mall and you can witness the same things. Ever watch some of the reality shows on TV? Check out the kids and how spoiled and selfish and disrespectfull they are. Watch the news, internet articles, etc.....

I would have to agree with this statement wholeheartedly. As a middle school teacher, I see it on a daily basis. Now, I don't want to give the impression that this applies to all of today's children ... but, the number of spoiled, disrespectful kids has seemed to grow exponentially in the past 5-10 years. Children today act as if society owes them whatever they want. They have a warped sense of entitlement.

These girls on the video ... I've seen the type before, and unfortunately it appears to be the direction that our society is going in.

FinsNCanes
04-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Nicely said... This country is really starting to lose it. I just took trips to Amsterdam and Bavaria and It's amazing how happy people are there and the crime rate is extremly low compared to ours. And anyone who has to gang up on somebody is a pu$$y and their punishment should be... getting their *** beat by a group of people the same way the commenced their *** beating of that girl.

That's because everyone is high..:woot:

That's my guess anyway.

Amars
04-09-2008, 06:34 PM
good guess

EvilDylan
04-11-2008, 11:08 AM
LOL yeah women in the 1700's were respected. Oh right, if they were white...MAYBE. In fact wasn't it the 18th century when the womens rights movement was JUST beginning? Don't even try to compare moral values from the 18th century to todays values. Society is slightly more "moral" now and this is because it has been forced on society as a whole. Not that it being forced on us is a bad thing because it has been great. More equality for different genders and races, eventhough some prejudice still remains, and the like.

Tell me how many blacks in America were treated with respect and equality in 1770? OH thats right, almost NONE. There's a word called SLAVERY that could be considered the exact opposite of morality.

What happened when our ancestors came over to the mainland and found the Native Americans? WE MURDERED THEM, we stole their land, and we forced them to convert to Christianity or die. We've all heard of scalping, and it's misunderstood as being Native American in origin. Europeans offered bounties for a Native American scalp! Yeah thats morality right there.

That being said, morals change with time, and what is considered correct at said time. We, as a society, are less cruel and more tolerant than we ever have been. Just open your eyes.

Dolphan7
04-11-2008, 05:07 PM
LOL yeah women in the 1700's were respected. Oh right, if they were white...MAYBE. In fact wasn't it the 18th century when the womens rights movement was JUST beginning? Don't even try to compare moral values from the 18th century to todays values. Society is slightly more "moral" now and this is because it has been forced on society as a whole. Not that it being forced on us is a bad thing because it has been great. More equality for different genders and races, eventhough some prejudice still remains, and the like.

Tell me how many blacks in America were treated with respect and equality in 1770? OH thats right, almost NONE. There's a word called SLAVERY that could be considered the exact opposite of morality.

What happened when our ancestors came over to the mainland and found the Native Americans? WE MURDERED THEM, we stole their land, and we forced them to convert to Christianity or die. We've all heard of scalping, and it's misunderstood as being Native American in origin. Europeans offered bounties for a Native American scalp! Yeah thats morality right there.

That being said, morals change with time, and what is considered correct at said time. We, as a society, are less cruel and more tolerant than we ever have been. Just open your eyes.Dylan you are referring to societal morality, and I was referring to individual morality, and whether one was white or black or male of female, people were more civil to each other, respected authority more, most had some belief in a deity and their honesty and character were a far cry from what it is today. Obviously you can find examples of the contrary, but by and large people were more moral then as compared to now.

And although you bring up some goods points about societal or governmental morality, I would argue that we are even less moral today as a society when we look at the blatant promotion of sex outside marraige, divorce, lying, cheating, anti-authority, abortion, uncivility, drug and alcohol use and abuse, greed/fame/fortune, selfishness, the me me me generation etc.......

You mention slavery, but we have only replaced slavery with something much worse - killing of our unborn children. So that is a wash.

FinsNCanes
04-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Dylan you are referring to societal morality, and I was referring to individual morality, and whether one was white or black or male of female, people were more civil to each other, respected authority more, most had some belief in a deity and their honesty and character were a far cry from what it is today. Obviously you can find examples of the contrary, but by and large people were more moral then as compared to now.

And although you bring up some goods points about societal or governmental morality, I would argue that we are even less moral today as a society when we look at the blatant promotion of sex outside marraige, divorce, lying, cheating, anti-authority, abortion, uncivility, drug and alcohol use and abuse, greed/fame/fortune, selfishness, the me me me generation etc.......

You mention slavery, but we have only replaced slavery with something much worse - killing of our unborn children. So that is a wash.

Hrm..so you really believe people back then weren't selfish, used drugs, etc and so on? I also think abortion is a far cry from slavery. I'm sure there was abortion in those days as well. They probably just threw you down the stairs. The only difference from then and now is the fact people get it on camera. Hopefully the girl is alright and get's a **** load of money from a lawsuit.

EvilDylan
04-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Personal attack. Try to post about the thread topic, not personal attacks about the posters. Post edited, offensive comments deleted

An individuals morality has nothing to do with whether or not they believe in a deity. I'm pretty sure that prostitution was legal in the 18th century, and do you really know how much premarital sex people had then? Do you know that it was, in fact, more or less than it is now? I doubt it, you are basing your argument on bits and pieces of history that you heard about someone and generalizing it across the board.

Slavery is far worse than abortion, and the debate about abortion really shouldn't even be a debate. Why? Because the only reason that the debate exists is because pro-lifers believe the unborn child has a soul. A soul is something that cannot be proven, so science says abortion is the choice of the mother. Abortion is not torture, abortion is not a beating when you look at a white woman, abortion is not a lynching because someone said you raped them and no one believe you because of your skin color no matter how innocent you were. Your comparison of abortion to the enslavement, torture, degradation, murder, theft, and attempted genocide of the African people is an indication of how **removed**. I'm sure that some of the tortured and beaten slaves would have preferred to be in your hell than living in that moment. Your god gave us the ability to make the choice of whether or not to have an abortion, and you really have no reason to object to that other than to yourself. Slavery was NOT a choice for the Africans.

Read a little bit about the old west, learn about opium dens and how people were murdered over card games, and dead bodies drug through the streets of a town where a horse thief committed said crime. The ideas of society start with one person. At least we have due process of law now.

Dolphan7
04-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Hrm..so you really believe people back then weren't selfish, used drugs, etc and so on? No I think people were selfish and used drugs/alcohol. Just not as much. That's the point.

I also think abortion is a far cry from slavery. I'm sure there was abortion in those days as well. Let me see......murder/death better than confinement. Yeah you're right - give me death anyday!:sidelol:

They probably just threw you down the stairs. The only difference from then and now is the fact people get it on camera. Hopefully the girl is alright and get's a **** load of money from a lawsuit.

No actually they either didn't have sex until married, which was much more common practice then than now, or they had their babies, although shunned for do so and in many cases were hidden away in convents or homes etc....

Dolphan7
04-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Personal attack. Try to post about the thread topic, not personal attacks about the posters. Post edited, offensive comments deleted

An individuals morality has nothing to do with whether or not they believe in a deity. I'm pretty sure that prostitution was legal in the 18th century, and do you really know how much premarital sex people had then? Do you know that it was, in fact, more or less than it is now? I doubt it, you are basing your argument on bits and pieces of history that you heard about someone and generalizing it across the board.

Slavery is far worse than abortion, and the debate about abortion really shouldn't even be a debate. Why? Because the only reason that the debate exists is because pro-lifers believe the unborn child has a soul. A soul is something that cannot be proven, so science says abortion is the choice of the mother. Abortion is not torture, abortion is not a beating when you look at a white woman, abortion is not a lynching because someone said you raped them and no one believe you because of your skin color no matter how innocent you were. Your comparison of abortion to the enslavement, torture, degradation, murder, theft, and attempted genocide of the African people is an indication of how **removed**. I'm sure that some of the tortured and beaten slaves would have preferred to be in your hell than living in that moment. Your god gave us the ability to make the choice of whether or not to have an abortion, and you really have no reason to object to that other than to yourself. Slavery was NOT a choice for the Africans.

Read a little bit about the old west, learn about opium dens and how people were murdered over card games, and dead bodies drug through the streets of a town where a horse thief committed said crime. The ideas of society start with one person. At least we have due process of law now.I don't mind discussing the issues with you Dylan, but your tone is taking a personal direction and is rather sour.

I don't mean to downplay slavery, it was a horrible time for America in general and black's specifically. No question.

But would you rather have never been born than to be a slave? Wouldn't you want the choice of life to be yours, if it could be given to you?

I would choose life, any life, over never having the option of being born.

You say science says unborn babies don't count, basically. Well then you can thank your mother for thinking different. Otherwise you woudn't be here. Not so for about 30 million Americans, and counting.

Phin-o-rama
04-12-2008, 12:21 AM
more horrible stuff makes it to main stream because

a- everyone has a cell phone cam, camcorder, or something

b- media chooses to portray the stories they do for ratings, pushing for the fear inducing pieces all the time

and the holocaust is another example of just how horrible humans can be....humans by nature have always been capable of despicable things, and are kept in line by govt and structured religion with a father figure that will spank you if your bad

aquaman54
04-12-2008, 11:06 AM
I hope the judge throws the book at them. I hate cowards who need to gang up on one person .If I said what I really thought of those little you know whats,my beloved FinHeaven would put me on restriction.I just hope they crash and burn for it............

greatwade
04-12-2008, 11:44 AM
wonderful thread.

Dolphan7, your point is well taken. And to which, I absolutely observe the decline in my community, family and on main street. Although many, many young impress me equally if not greater than my peers who had it going in the right direction in my youth.

I equate modern America with the Roman empire. IMHO morality is so dynamic, subjective, and fluid, it doesn't lend itself to simple quant measurement or even productive debate. obviously, yours & mine differ.

yeah, materialism, bad taste, gluttony, sloth, et al are rampant today.

But i truly believe, it's all cyclical, and has occurred long ago, very similar, and will again.

Some kids these days have great morals. They just aren't very popular.

late again
04-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Yikes !!
I do believe there are posters in this thread who do not understand what morality is. Nor do they understand the difference between morals and ethics.
Morality is identified as virtue - goodness and propriety and righteousness. But different societies have different determinations as to what is moral. So the key to it lies in whether or not a person acts with the belief that his action is justified.
G-wade is on the money in that morality is "dynamic, subjective and fluid".
There was in fact a time when American society believed slavery was not wrong. There was also a time when American society believed that women didn't need to vote, etc, etc. Regardless of the fact that today these examples are viewed as social injustices; there was a time when the attitude was much different. They fell within the framework of public morality for that time. So they weren't considered immoral or unjust.
Public morality is certainly different today than it was 100 years ago. Whether its for the better or for the worse is highly subjective. A case can be made for either side of that debate.
Maybe the only thing that could be said as an absolute is that, as a society, we are less kind and less polite than ever. Now again, I'm speaking to the framework of the public morality of the day.

greatwade
04-12-2008, 03:45 PM
lol. i blame innertubes and meth. lol. and New Jersey. lol.

PrepDogg
04-12-2008, 03:48 PM
lol

late again
04-12-2008, 03:49 PM
lol. i blame innertubes and meth. lol. and New Jersey. lol.

....AND fast food and twinkies!!..as well as things like "California style pizza".

greatwade
04-12-2008, 03:50 PM
i have a friend in california. he benign.

trate121
04-14-2008, 12:08 AM
wow....how can they think filming was a good idea

rafael
04-14-2008, 12:33 PM
I don't think our morality has evolved. A segment of society has always been selfish, violent and depraved. Now, however, there are more people so even though there's no reason to believe that segment has changed as a percentage of the whole, there are simply more people who are selfish, violent and depraved. Throw in more news coverage and it appears that we are getting worse when it's just as bad as it's ever been.

SabanHater
04-14-2008, 01:05 PM
I hope they go down hard for this.
If they go to jail, they'll be the one's getting beat.

greatwade
04-14-2008, 02:08 PM
get your depraved mind out of the gutter SabanHater.

late again
04-15-2008, 05:30 AM
I don't think our morality has evolved. A segment of society has always been selfish, violent and depraved. Now, however, there are more people so even though there's no reason to believe that segment has changed as a percentage of the whole, there are simply more people who are selfish, violent and depraved. Throw in more news coverage and it appears that we are getting worse when it's just as bad as it's ever been.

In spite of that it has in fact evolved. American society's ethics have changed so, subsequently have the public morals of this society. It's not a matter of that there have always been selfish, violent and depraved people. It's a matter of what we consider to be selfish, violent and depraved.
50 years ago American society considered homosexuality to be depraved. In fact there were laws against it It was illegal to be a homosexual. It was considered wrong. Although there are still individuals who disagree with homosexuality, American society has said its okay, as evidenced by repealing those laws.
50 years ago it was illegal for a black man to sit anywhere but the back of the bus or use the same public restrooms as a white man. American society has since come to realize the injustice in it.
50 years ago a handshake was generally honored as binding. Today you hear "yeah I know I said I would do it, but I didn't promise to do it".
In addition, refer back to the other examples in my previous post.

rafael
04-15-2008, 11:05 AM
In spite of that it has in fact evolved. American society's ethics have changed so, subsequently have the public morals of this society. It's not a matter of that there have always been selfish, violent and depraved people. It's a matter of what we consider to be selfish, violent and depraved.
50 years ago American society considered homosexuality to be depraved. In fact there were laws against it It was illegal to be a homosexual. It was considered wrong. Although there are still individuals who disagree with homosexuality, American society has said its okay, as evidenced by repealing those laws.
50 years ago it was illegal for a black man to sit anywhere but the back of the bus or use the same public restrooms as a white man. American society has since come to realize the injustice in it.
50 years ago a handshake was generally honored as binding. Today you hear "yeah I know I said I would do it, but I didn't promise to do it".
In addition, refer back to the other examples in my previous post.

I agree that some values have changed. My whole point is that even among the things that haven't changed we're not any worse, we just hear about it more. I would guess that groups of kids beat up a defenseless one in the last century as well. The only real difference is that now it can be taped and reported all over the world.

rayephin
04-15-2008, 11:05 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/sfl-orl-0408beating,0,65703.story

Was hard for me to watch at times.Sad
I just saw on the news that one of the mothers is defending her daughters actions-because the victim insulted her on myspace.

I was shocked when I heard about this on the news. How did this get so out of hand, where were the teachers and were these kids ever disciplined ever in their life? Is this what our society is coming too?

Did you hear the one where third graders conspired to kill their teacher?

m i n o
04-15-2008, 11:57 AM
that happened here too. bunch of kids talking smack to each other on myspace find out they all live around each other and meet somewhere to fight. back when i was growing up..when white kids acted like..well white kids we didn't do this type of stuff. this is no slur towards or blame of the black community but it is crazy how many white teens are trying to live out their perception of what a thug,hooligan,g is my generation is the only ones to blame..that and the goverment making parents frightful of discipline and putting the community into a position where both parents HAVE to work just to scrape by leaving the kids unsuprivised.

late again
04-15-2008, 08:45 PM
I agree that some values have changed. My whole point is that even among the things that haven't changed we're not any worse, we just hear about it more. I would guess that groups of kids beat up a defenseless one in the last century as well. The only real difference is that now it can be taped and reported all over the world.

First, for the purpose of clarity; I was initially responding to your statement
I don't think our morality has evolved. I don't think you can accurately state that "values have changed", but not morals.
Your point is well taken, however, in stating that there has always been a segment of society that disregards societal morality. However, I believe immoral behavior is much less restrained now than say 50 years ago.
Need proof? Radio talk shows, political campaigns - there was a time when the insult hurling and mudslinging styles so prevalent today would have been considered rude and people wouldn't have tolerated it. Today it's commonly accepted behavior. Really a case could be made that current methods allowing for the speed in which news is reported is further evidence. You would think that knowing that the whole world would know would deter some people. But in some cases it has the exact opposite effect.

rafael
04-16-2008, 12:10 PM
First, for the purpose of clarity; I was initially responding to your statement
I don't think our morality has evolved. I don't think you can accurately state that "values have changed", but not morals.
Your point is well taken, however, in stating that there has always been a segment of society that disregards societal morality. However, I believe immoral behavior is much less restrained now than say 50 years ago.
Need proof? Radio talk shows, political campaigns - there was a time when the insult hurling and mudslinging styles so prevalent today would have been considered rude and people wouldn't have tolerated it. Today it's commonly accepted behavior. Really a case could be made that current methods allowing for the speed in which news is reported is further evidence. You would think that knowing that the whole world would know would deter some people. But in some cases it has the exact opposite effect.

I understand what your saying. I just think that our level of cruelty to each other is the same as it always was. We just do it differently. Now we insult people on youtube. Before we'd put people in stocks and throw rotten vegetables at them. I don't see a difference in the morality. I just see a difference in which venues we deem as acceptable.

Joker2thief
04-17-2008, 12:35 PM
I was shocked when I heard about this on the news. How did this get so out of hand, where were the teachers and were these kids ever disciplined ever in their life? Is this what our society is coming too?

That actually bothered me more.They found duct tape and steak knives on the kids.

ih8brady
04-17-2008, 12:41 PM

If the facts reported on that case were right, the children were mentally disabled and didn't know right from wrong(and how wrong what they were planning really was).

ih8brady
04-17-2008, 12:45 PM
In spite of that it has in fact evolved.

What? Did you just say the e-word? Blasphemy! :shakeno::shakeno::shakeno: This society was created 6,000 days ago by an intelligent invisible designer in his image. This post must provide equal time devoted to this truthful gospel.