PDA

View Full Version : Stone Temple Pilots Weren't Nirvana -- But They Were Close, In Bigger Than The Sound

finataxia24
04-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Stone Temple Pilots were actually pretty great.
And this isn't something I just realized, either. Ever since I heard the opening chords to "Plush" (which, really, is probably one of the 10 best grunge songs ever written) way back in 1992, I was a closeted STP fan. I followed them through ups and downs — and frontman Scott Weiland's many drug arrests — always secretly marveling at their dexterity, their ability to churn out hit after hit, and the seamless way with which they leapt between genres (bluesy stompers, psychedelic spindlers, glammed-out rockers), often all on the same record. And though I would never tell anyone, I never thought they got the respect they deserved. I would read reviews and get a little pissed when critics took potshots at them. After all, the only thing they seemed guilty of was having a stupid name (well, that or the whole "does-it-glorify-rape?" debate about "Sex Type Thing").
So now that I've said all that, I'm going to say this. Of all the so-called "alt-rock" acts that lumbered the Earth in the 1990s — a list that includes everyone from Alice in Chains to Tad — Stone Temple Pilots were probably one of the five best. (I'd probably put them behind only Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden.) Seriously. They had more rock-radio hits (all of which were pretty great) and sold more records (not all of which were pretty great, but, you know, whatever) than pretty much any other band of that era, and they did it for much longer too (finally calling it quits in 2003, leaving only Eddie Vedder and company to carry the mantle). Not to mention the fact that in Weiland, they had one of the most dynamic — yet colossally screwed-up — frontmen of the decade. I cannot understand why they are almost universally panned ... only, I can.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1585061/20080408/stone_temple_pilots.jhtml

d-day
04-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Stone Temple Pilots were actually pretty great.
And this isn't something I just realized, either. Ever since I heard the opening chords to "Plush" (which, really, is probably one of the 10 best grunge songs ever written) way back in 1992, I was a closeted STP fan. I followed them through ups and downs — and frontman Scott Weiland's many drug arrests — always secretly marveling at their dexterity, their ability to churn out hit after hit, and the seamless way with which they leapt between genres (bluesy stompers, psychedelic spindlers, glammed-out rockers), often all on the same record. And though I would never tell anyone, I never thought they got the respect they deserved. I would read reviews and get a little pissed when critics took potshots at them. After all, the only thing they seemed guilty of was having a stupid name (well, that or the whole "does-it-glorify-rape?" debate about "Sex Type Thing").
So now that I've said all that, I'm going to say this. Of all the so-called "alt-rock" acts that lumbered the Earth in the 1990s — a list that includes everyone from Alice in Chains to Tad — Stone Temple Pilots were probably one of the five best. (I'd probably put them behind only Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden.) Seriously. They had more rock-radio hits (all of which were pretty great) and sold more records (not all of which were pretty great, but, you know, whatever) than pretty much any other band of that era, and they did it for much longer too (finally calling it quits in 2003, leaving only Eddie Vedder and company to carry the mantle). Not to mention the fact that in Weiland, they had one of the most dynamic — yet colossally screwed-up — frontmen of the decade. I cannot understand why they are almost universally panned ... only, I can.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1585061/20080408/stone_temple_pilots.jhtml

nirvana was so overrated in my book - wouldn't be surprised if david grohl wrote half the stuff kurt cobain got credit for - pearl jam is overrated too - shame andrew wood died - mother love bone was so much sonically better than them - but the common denominator in both those bands was guitarist stone gossard - he was the guy who was responsible for shaping the sound of mother love bone and the first 2 pearl jam albums - then eddie vedder got more involved with the writing and look what we have now: a band that peaked with vitalogy - kurt cobain and eddie vedder fans are sheep and posers -

andrew wood, layne staley, chris cornell, scott weiland, shawn smith > those dorks, anyday

Dolfan32323
04-10-2008, 08:38 PM
STP and Blind Melon are two of the most underrated groups of the 90s IMO.

Dolfan32323
04-10-2008, 08:39 PM
nirvana was so overrated in my book - wouldn't be surprised if david grohl wrote half the stuff kurt cobain got credit for - pearl jam is overrated too - shame andrew wood died - mother love bone was so much sonically better than them - but the common denominator in both those bands was guitarist stone gossard - he was the guy who was responsible for shaping the sound of mother love bone and the first 2 pearl jam albums - then eddie vedder got more involved with the writing and look what we have now: a band that peaked with vitalogy - kurt cobain and eddie vedder fans are sheep and posers -

andrew wood, layne staley, chris cornell, scott weiland, shawn smith > those dorks, anydayi disagree about vedder...

PrepDogg
04-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Purple>>>>Nevermind......damn true

FinsNCanes
04-11-2008, 01:47 PM
I was in highschool when Nirvana was "it" and couldn't understand it (I guess some middleschool as well). I mean they were alright..but people thought Cobain was God or something. His voice was nothing special..it just sounded like he had a cold or was taking a ****. I was much more into NIN at the time :D

Boone
04-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in chains, Soundgarden...some of my favorite bands in the 90's.

good stuff.

Stoobz
04-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Nirvana I don't get. I think I like maybe one song by them. STP & Soundgarden - far superior but I often wish for some extended LEAD guitar in all this grunge type music.

Thundercracker
04-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Alice in chains is the best band from the 90's and is still my favorite.

Tetragrammaton
04-12-2008, 04:22 PM
I like some STP. I really don't like a lot of 90's music, it just doesn't do it for me.

But what is so good about Nirvana?

Jaydog57
04-12-2008, 05:11 PM
When I first listened to Nirvana back in '91 with 'Nevermind' ( I know that wasn't their first album), I didn't get it. I was still coming off a long hangover of the 80's Heavy Metal/hair band movement. But after listening to lyrics by bands of the early 90's era like Soundgarden and Pearl Jam, I took another listen and found it to be pretty good. STP is great to me just because of their sound. I heard 'Sex Type Thing' in '92 on the radio and it blew me away, and they continued to do that until Scott Weiland left the band. I hope they have the same sound in the upcoming tour and possible album. Although, NOTHING will ever replace the late 70's-early 80's sound of Van Halen for me, it starts and stops there as the best sounding band of all time. JMHO. :peace1:

poornate
04-12-2008, 05:22 PM
I am not now, nor never was, a big Nirvana guy. But I see why people were huge on them.... I don't think they are overrated.... if you are a late 70's Van Halen guy, of course you're not a huge fan the unplugged album was great....

Phin-o-rama
04-12-2008, 06:31 PM
i liked nevermind, but thats about it

MadDog2007
04-15-2008, 12:31 AM
When Nirvana first appeared on the national scene with "Smells Like Teen Spirit", I really didn't get the groove. However, upon their arrival I immediately loved the sound of STP. Even after the group admitted that they basically ripped off Black Sabbath and their other rock idols, I still thought they sounded original and memorable. Of all the so-called grunge bands of the 90s, STP's my favorite with Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Puddle of Mud, Weezer, Godsmack and a host of others higher on my list than Soundgarden.

Mike13
04-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Weezer, Godsmack

Godsmack is hard rock not grunge, Weezer is just plain ****.

finataxia24
04-15-2008, 03:28 PM

andrew wood, layne staley, chris cornell, scott weiland, shawn smith > those dorks, anyday

D-day check this out

STP's Demo & free b-sides

http://belowempty.com/index.php?p=downloads

Maynard the Hammer
04-15-2008, 06:43 PM
i didnt know critics didnt like STP. i always thought they were awesome. i love soundgarden. i loved about 25% of alice in chains. i never really cared for nirvana and pearl jam seemed to be too conscious of making songs that will play well on the radio

tucker
04-16-2008, 04:08 PM
STP is one of the best groups from the 90s...as maynard mentioned, i didnt know they were disliked by the critics

Jaydog57
04-18-2008, 12:39 AM
Godsmack is hard rock not grunge, Weezer is just plain ****.Weezer is good, you just can't compare it to a band like Godsmack. It'a a whole nother story.:wink: