PDA

View Full Version : Better DE: Bruce Smith or Michael Strahan?

ckparrothead
04-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Hey guys. Just curious your opinions.

Compare only their first 15 years each which include Smith's Bills years and all of Strahan's years.

Also, view these links for stats and data on each. Consider all things, not merely the stats.

Smith:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitBr00.htm

http://www.databasefootball.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=SMITHBRU02

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Smith

Strahan:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StraMi02.htm

http://www.databasefootball.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=STRAHMIC01

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Strahan

Let'er rip!

thejetssuck
04-11-2008, 12:34 PM
I say Bruce Smith, the dude was a FREAK!

fullerboy1
04-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Hi CK, I think Smith because we had the pleasure of seeing him twice a year and for me it was 2 to many.
The guy was a monster and if we did not have Richmond Web things would have been a lot worse, you had to always account for him, if you didnĀ“t he would make you pay in a very bad way.
Maybe I am a AFC East homer but he cause my team a lot of sleepless nights that I remember all to well.

Justasportsfan
04-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Marino always said Bruce can single handedly take over an entire game and change the outcome of the game . If it wasnt for Bruce, who knows how many more records Marino might have still had.

SpaceMountain16
04-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Bruce Smith no contest

Reggie White was the best of all-time however.

BARF
04-12-2008, 01:15 AM
right on space mountain i agree it is reggie white

ckparrothead
04-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Oh I agree with ya'll about Reggie White. But, Bruce Smith definitely for me takes the cake aside from Reggie.

MattM
04-12-2008, 03:29 PM
While Reggie was certainly great, it should also be considered that he played in the 4-3 while Bruce played in the 3-4, and with really nobody else on the line to take any pressure off him (Phil Hansen and Jeff Wright, anyone?). Considering that, I think it's a little more even than folks here are making it out, but then again, I could just be a Bills homer.....

GoBills24
04-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Matt makes a valid point about being a 3-4 end.

It's like Richard Seymour putting up those sack numbers, only Bruce never had anyone near the quality of Warren-Wilfork playing beside him.

ganooch
04-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Bruce Smith, hands down. He used to kill the Jets and pretty much everyone else.

FinfanInBuffalo
04-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Bruce Smith.

Biggest contract crybaby of all time but one heck of a player.

3rd and long
04-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Bruce Smith, and it's not even that close.

where's th'fish
04-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Mh... I don't recall Phil Hansen being that bad... and then there was Cornelius Bennet. But if by take pressure off you mean draw double teams, no, nobody took pressure off Bruise Smith.

Bruise and Reggie are equally good in my mind.

UT the Jet
04-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Norfolk, VA native Bruce Smith

Top 3 DE's All-Time:

1. Deacon Jones
2. Reggie White
3. Bruce Smith

nyjunc
04-23-2008, 06:07 AM
It's not even close, Strahan has had 6 double digit sack seasons total, Smith had a string of 7 in a row and 12 of 13 w/ the lone year under 10 being an injury year where he only played played 5 games.

Ross
04-28-2008, 07:03 PM
While Reggie was certainly great, it should also be considered that he played in the 4-3 while Bruce played in the 3-4, and with really nobody else on the line to take any pressure off him (Phil Hansen and Jeff Wright, anyone?). Considering that, I think it's a little more even than folks here are making it out, but then again, I could just be a Bills homer.....

Bruce smith was great. Fantastic first step. But, imo, Reggie is #1 . As strong as the incredible hulk. One play I'll never forget is that game where he picked up and threw an olineman at the QB with one arm so he could catch him. No way someone should be so strong. Them two together. Dream team...

HughC
06-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Not even close. Nothing against Strahan, but he doesn't merit a comparison to Bruce Smith, Smith was that good. Strahan will deservedly go in to the Hall of Fame, but so will many other linebackers. Smith is still just that much better than Strahan that the two don't compare.

phinfan3411
06-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Bruce Smith no contest

Reggie White was the best of all-time however.

Right on:up:

feelthepain
06-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Do we get to use the same argument Strahan has a SB ring and Smith doesn't? Bill fans have no problem picking QB's like Montana, Elway and Favre over Marino because they have rings and Marino doesn't. Are we allowed to use this same stupid logic to choose Strahan over Smith?

rdhstlr23
06-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Do we get to use the same argument Strahan has a SB ring and Smith doesn't? Bill fans have no problem picking QB's like Montana, Elway and Favre over Marino because they have rings and Marino doesn't. Are we allowed to use this same stupid logic to choose Strahan over Smith?

I agree wholeheartedly.

However, I do believe that Bruce Smith was the better of the two.

Great point though, FTP.

feelthepain
06-16-2008, 12:17 AM
I agree wholeheartedly.

However, I do believe that Bruce Smith was the better of the two.

Great point though, FTP.

He very well may be, but Marino was better then Elway, Favre and Montana. It doesn't stop Bill fans from taking away what Marino accomplished simply because he didn't win a ring! I think this is the exact same example between Smith and Strahan. I'll promise you Bill fans will ignore the fact that Strahan won a ring and Smith didn't.

BuffaloSoldier2
06-16-2008, 07:27 PM

Um, this makes absolutely no sense. But if you think Strahan is a better DE than Bruce Smith, you know nothing about football (which you do a good job proving with your posts:up:).

BuffaloSoldier2
06-16-2008, 07:30 PM
He very well may be, but Marino was better then Elway, Favre and Montana. It doesn't stop Bill fans from taking away what Marino accomplished simply because he didn't win a ring! I think this is the exact same example between Smith and Strahan. I'll promise you Bill fans will ignore the fact that Strahan won a ring and Smith didn't.

I thought Elway was a better QB than Marino even before he won a Super Bowl. For all the talk of the lack of talent Marino had, those first 3 Denver teams Elway took to the Super Bowl were very average (especially offensive). The fact that Elway finally won 2 Super Bowls completely tips it in his favor. Marino is the best pocket passer ever. Of players I could see, Elway was the best all around QB. He could beat you in so many ways.

rdhstlr23
06-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Um, this makes absolutely no sense. But if you think Strahan is a better DE than Bruce Smith, you know nothing about football (which you do a good job proving with your posts:up:).

It makes perfect sense. Maybe the comparisons aren't good ones, but the premise behind the post makes perfect sense.

Many people believe Dan isn't one of the greatest because of the Super Bowl ring. Why shouldn't the same be said for Bruce Smith?

I think Marino is better than Elway and I can't figure out where to find it, but in an interview Elway admitted Marino was the better of the two. Bruce Smith was a much better DE than Michael Strahan as well.