PDA

View Full Version : Internet helps diagnosis, Woman to RAISE awareness with pole dancing. Poll.

greatwade
04-12-2008, 01:37 PM
BEXLEY: Net solves baby’s mystery illness

(http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/topstories/display.var.2192108.0.bexley_net_solves_babys_mystery_illness.php#comments_form)
Isabella Grace Doctors were baffled at what was causing baby Isabella Grace's illness. Her mum, Laura Fraser, tells KELLY SMALE how the internet provided the answer.
First-time parents Laura Fraser and Lee Grace became worried after their daughter, Isabella, became ill six weeks after her birth.
Isabella was experiencing frequent bowel movements and was barely putting on weight.
She was constantly in and out of Queen Mary's Hospital in Sidcup.
Miss Fraser, 30, said: "It was horrible. I was a first-time mum and people thought I was just being a protective parent, but I knew something wasn't right.
"We were told a number of wrong diagnoses, so it was a very scary time."
advertisement

The couple, who live in Bridgen Road, Bexley, were initially told their daughter was intolerant to lactose - meaning she was allergic to milk.
Admin worker Miss Fraser added: "When we were told about the lactose we thought fine, she will get better', but she didn't."
Doctors then told Miss Fraser and 32-year-old business manager Mr Grace Isabella might have meningitis.
She was sent to Guy's Hospital in London and had another 15 tests.
Miss Fraser said: "I felt as though I was going mad because she wasn't getting better and doctors started talking about operating on her head."
More tests followed and at one point the doctors said Isabella might only have a week to live.
And after five months, they were still baffled.
Miss Fraser said: "I started to look on the internet because I was sick and tired of being passed around.
"I'd had enough of relying on people."
The worried parents researched Isabella's condition and this suggested she had cystic fibrosis.
After being tested for this, it was confirmed she does have the condition.
The couple believe Isabella would have been diagnosed earlier if she had been given a heel prick test - or Guthrie test - which tests for the condition.
Miss Fraser said: "The test is a postcode lottery and wasn't offered in Kent when she was a baby, but it is now."
Although Miss Fraser was relieved they knew what was wrong with Isabella, she was worried about what would happen in the future.
Cystic fibrosis affects the internal organs, especially the lungs and digestive system, by clogging them with thick sticky mucus, making it hard for sufferers to breathe and digest food.
The average life expectancy for sufferers is around 31.
Isabella, who is now 16 months old, currently has treatment at King's College Hospital in London.
Miss Fraser said: "She makes everybody smile.
"We are really blessed and are taking every day as it comes."
Miss Fraser now wants to help others and has organised a sponsored pole dancing training event to raise cash for the Bromley Cystic Fibrosis Trust.
She hopes this will raise £3,500 for the charity.
Miss Fraser said: "I chose pole dancing because it was something I had tried a few years ago and people are intrigued by it.
"Plus many of our male friends have offered to sponsor us."