PDA

View Full Version : Hideo Kojima disappointed in MGS4

Phin-o-rama
04-18-2008, 04:04 PM
http://kotaku.com/381412/kojima-disa...l-gear-solid-4

Looks like Kojima Jr. isn't the only one disappointed with Metal Gear Solid. The latest issue of the UK's Edge magazine contains an interview with Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima, who expresses disappointment with the latest game in the series, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. It isn't so much the gameplay itself as it is the graphics.

"Game-wise, it's pretty close to the original vision: you sneak into the battlefield and can choose whether to do a stealth game or interfere with the battle more directly. But the graphic, side things like motion-blending and the size of the map, totally was not accomplished to my original vision - to my satisfaction.

Now Kojima is a well-known perfectionist, but it is a bit disturbing to see him voice his dissatisfaction with what is supposed to be the masterpiece of the franchise. So where does he lay the blame for not fully realizing his vision?

"When we first showed the game engine at TGS, the staff were really proud and happy. PS3 was a dream machine, y'know, and we were going to work on this and that - and we had so many ideas. But when we actually started developing the game, we realized there were a lot of restrictions and so it turned out how you see it today. The original vision was to go ten steps further, the reality was just one step, which isn't to say we didn't progress..

So there was certainly progress made, but not enough progress...or more specifically, not enough power for progress. Apparently the team overestimated what the PlayStation 3 was capable of.

I remember saying three years ago that we wanted to create something revolutionary, but in reality we couldn't really do that because of the CPU. We're using the Cell engine to its limit., actually. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the PS3 machine, it's just that we weren't really aware of what the full-spec PS3 offered - we were creating something we couldn't entirely see

Well there you have it, straight from the man himself. Metal Gear Solid 4 is not revolutionary. Personally I think the man is being a bit hard on himself, but that's what great minds do.

:foundout:

Phin-o-rama
04-18-2008, 04:06 PM
he's prolly just being hard on himself, and will impale himself on a samurai sword

TrueDolFan
04-18-2008, 04:22 PM
It looks to me that Kojima is saying that he can't create something revolutionary with the current generation of consoles.

Absolutely ridiculous. What a pompous ***.

There will ALWAYS be limitations on what developers can do. What separates a great developer from the rest of the pack is what they can do with those limitations.

FinsNCanes
04-18-2008, 06:50 PM
This is why I'm attempting to move back to PC gaming. Consoles just can't get my attention longer than a few months if lucky. Let's not forget most even good single player games today are kind of easy. It also seems like for every 6 or 7 games they put out only 1 is decent and/or good and rarely are any games great.

CitizenSnips
04-18-2008, 07:17 PM
Kojima, much like all the major developers, is a perfectionist. So this should be taken with a grain of salt. Basically he said the game just isn't the end all be all metal gear he was hoping for. But it's still probably an amazing game.

However, he said a lot about the PS3 specifically that really shocked me. The big selling point on the PS3 is that it's supposed to be the incredibly powerful and untouchable machine when it comes to tech, and now you have arguably sonys strongest developer saying it didn't meet his demands. Ouch.

Get Up And Go
04-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Kojima, much like all the major developers, is a perfectionist. So this should be taken with a grain of salt. Basically he said the game just isn't the end all be all metal gear he was hoping for. But it's still probably an amazing game.

However, he said a lot about the PS3 specifically that really shocked me. The big selling point on the PS3 is that it's supposed to be the incredibly powerful and untouchable machine when it comes to tech, and now you have arguably sonys strongest developer saying it didn't meet his demands. Ouch.

The 360 wouldn't have meet his demands either.

CitizenSnips
04-18-2008, 10:17 PM
The 360 wouldn't have meet his demands either.

that's true. but he's not a 360 exclusive developer, he's an exclusive ps3 developer. Probably the most famous one as well. It's not really about what he said, more so who he is that said it.

JuanchoColombia
04-18-2008, 10:54 PM
He always says that when he sees the finished MGS, he just has to realize that game systems will always have their limitations.

I remember that when it was first announced, he said something about a dynamic world where all the plants and trees would grow, reproduce and die in real time, and it would have an effect on gameplay.

IMO, that's just asking too much....

FinsNCanes
04-23-2008, 09:14 AM

What were his "demands"? The guy might of been a little unrealistic.

CitizenSnips
04-23-2008, 10:04 AM
What were his "demands"? The guy might of been a little unrealistic.

oh he was. if I had to guess he probably wanted MGS4 to look like a fully interactive movie.

Still, there are some who believe the PS3 can pull that off.

TrueDolFan
04-23-2008, 10:48 AM
This is why I'm attempting to move back to PC gaming. Consoles just can't get my attention longer than a few months if lucky. Let's not forget most even good single player games today are kind of easy. It also seems like for every 6 or 7 games they put out only 1 is decent and/or good and rarely are any games great.

That is a huge understatement. The "difficulty" of games today PALES in comparison to the games of my youth. Younger guys who grew up playing in the Playstation/Saturn/N64 era will never know the true meaning of difficulty.

To be fair, it's ALWAYS been for every 10 games, maybe one is decent and great games are hard to come by. That's just the nature of the beast.

Phinz420
04-24-2008, 06:49 AM
oh he was. if I had to guess he probably wanted MGS4 to look like a fully interactive movie.

Still, there are some who believe the PS3 can pull that off.

They could pull it off in a similar style as Resident Evil 4 did. It could be done just as easily as the 360, and far more in depth than the control levels in RE4 cinematic fighting. It wouldn't look anything like the original Killzone videos or anything, but it would be interesting to see what could be done with some kind of good adventure game(when was the last time a good pure adventure game was made anyways? Indigo Prophecy/Farenheight?) Im not sure when we will ever see a cinematic style action game that would work great control-wise, seems like a long ways off.