PDA

View Full Version : One image per signature... yes... no?

FinHeavenAJ
09-01-2003, 11:42 PM
Hello everyone,

After much thought, I think the signatures around here are becoming a little too much. Some signatures are humongous, some are very large in file size, while some sigs have up to 4 images there.

So, I have several options. My favorite one is to limit the signature down to one image, which can be updated at any time.

The reasoning is simple. But, here are some of my main focuses:

[list=1]
Will speed up viewing new threads, especially for the 56kers out there
Will allow the people that visit the boards strictly from work or school to view them a little bit more, since there would be less LARGER pictures.
Would keep the boards in a nicer format
Would chew up less bandwidth on the server
[/list=1]

So, while I believe that the signatures should be limited anyways, I'm interested in hearing what everyone else has to say. Please keep in mine, that while you may be on a speedy DSL or Cable line, there are others out there that don't have that.

Sincerely,
Andrew Tatum

Barbarian
09-01-2003, 11:45 PM
yep, it's not too much for my internet, but for those on dial up it must suck.

rickykicks@$$
09-02-2003, 12:12 AM
I like having the choice, plus I am able to download pics I like to add to my photo gallery so I dont have a problem with it. However, you do make some good points on the subject as far as people with a dial up
rather then high speed. Tough call. :hmmm:

Blitz Inc
09-02-2003, 12:21 AM
I could go either way on this issue...

Fresh
09-02-2003, 12:28 AM
Doesn't matter to me.

But some people have HUGE ones. Like there is one with 2 Madden videos, and 2 pics(no offense). If there's 2 or 3 small ones, whatever. Or 2 mediums. But the 2-3 BIG ones, slows up the loading..

A&O
09-02-2003, 12:48 AM
Isn't it the purpose of the Photo Gallery to display member photos?
I voted one image only for signatures. More stuff will delay the download of the thread(s) for dial-up users. That's not right. We're not here so much for the images but for information.

Muck
09-02-2003, 01:46 AM
I voted 1-per. I echo everything A.J. said.

VanDolPhan
09-02-2003, 02:22 AM
The number of pictures etc doesn't matter. What matters is the page full of scrolling on large signatures that are usually sported by those that post generally one liners :tongue:

ZOD
09-02-2003, 03:30 AM
I voted one picture.

But sometimes I need two for my sunday morning dream of miami real estate ....

AJ, What is one to do? :lol:

gunn34
09-02-2003, 07:45 AM
I voted for one...really doesn't matter to me either.
AJ makes some good points.

Emskirch
09-02-2003, 07:54 AM
Yes Yes Yes

Iryman
09-02-2003, 08:56 AM
how about trying to keep them down to smaller sizes. I am going to cut mine down a lot. I would like to add another on but like i said they will be smaller. But will go with whatever the ruling is
Ira

P4E
09-02-2003, 10:53 AM
Rather than impose a fixed rule, could we try to increase awareness of the problem large pics, etc create for our dial-up using bretheren and couple that with the mods putting together just one statement of the problem that they could post or PM to those with processing-intensive siggys? The mods wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel for each instance, and the guy with three small pics wouldn't be penalized by virtue of a number that may not reflect the impact of his siggy pics. I trust the mods around here to make these kinds of calls and handle them deftly and diplomatically.

I think we've been pretty good about police-ing ourselves when we've been made aware of the problems we inadvertently create. Well, except for me.

MNFINFAN
09-02-2003, 10:55 AM
I think one pics on sigs, if you want to post more then add them to the Photo Area ( that cough cough I sponsored) and then add a link to the page in your signature. It doesn't matter to me the size in regards to speed, but it gets a little cluttered and it must suck for people on V.92/0 modems getting 44k of download.

XoPhinsoX
09-02-2003, 11:45 AM
Make it a 4 scroll rule. It shouldn't take more then 4 scrolls to get past your sig ;). On the other hand people also have quotes. . .

There are some long ones on here too ;). I really don't care. For dial-up it might be a problem though.

Also, isn't there an option to not show sig pics? I'd reccomend doing that on dial up.

Muck
09-02-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by XoPhinsoX
Also, isn't there an option to not show sig pics? I'd reccomend doing that on dial up.

There is. At the top of any page, go to User CP------>Edit Options. Under View Thread Options you'll see Show user's signatures in their posts? Just select No and you're good to go.

Hehe, yeah....that rhymed. :tongue:

Dude
09-02-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by VanDolPhan
The number of pictures etc doesn't matter. What matters is the page full of scrolling on large signatures that are usually sported by those that post generally one liners :tongue:
Exactly!

I use DSL so the speed isn't the problem, but it gets anoying when someone leaves a one line reply then you have to scroll down forever to get to the next one...

dolphan39
09-02-2003, 12:54 PM
yes, please and if you can limit the height too that w/b great

SkapePhin
09-02-2003, 01:25 PM
I would say to limit to one image each...

DeDolfan
09-02-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by FinHeavenAJ
Hello everyone,

After much thought, I think the signatures around here are becoming a little too much. Some signatures are humongous, some are very large in file size, while some sigs have up to 4 images there.

So, I have several options. My favorite one is to limit the signature down to one image, which can be updated at any time.

The reasoning is simple. But, here are some of my main focuses:

[list=1]
Will speed up viewing new threads, especially for the 56kers out there
Will allow the people that visit the boards strictly from work or school to view them a little bit more, since there would be less LARGER pictures.
Would keep the boards in a nicer format
Would chew up less bandwidth on the server
[/list=1]

So, while I believe that the signatures should be limited anyways, I'm interested in hearing what everyone else has to say. Please keep in mine, that while you may be on a speedy DSL or Cable line, there are others out there that don't have that.

Sincerely,
Andrew Tatum

Good poll, AJ! #1 is the main concern for me. Been "supposed" to have broadband for over a year now but i'm still twiddleling my thumbs just waiting for text only stuff to load sometimes!! :cry: :cry: :goof:

DeDolfan
09-02-2003, 02:19 PM
Bless all of you who consider us poor 56kers!! Thank you! I only have 56k out of necessity. It is my only available option for the time being except for satelite and i understand it ain't all that. Plus the expense!! Eeeeew!!

Muck
09-02-2003, 02:46 PM
Yeah, skip the satellite. It's really not a good option.

Prime Time
09-02-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Muck
I voted 1-per. I echo everything A.J. said.

We know who wears the pants in the family...:tongue:

gators910
09-02-2003, 05:10 PM
what ever makes this board better...i will leave it up to you aj..

Prime Time
09-02-2003, 05:14 PM
That Orange jersey on Ricky on your sig looks awesome! But Ahhhnold looks pretty tight himself. It would suck to take one of them down, but I know you would make the right decision. ;)

gators910
09-02-2003, 05:21 PM
you know i would make the right choice,lol

ZOD
09-02-2003, 08:14 PM
AJ,

I think you can take this one down. It's going to be a landslide. Mercy on the 56kers.

Now...If you could take a poll on Oliver's ability to "quote".

You might be surprised by the results. :lol:

JK, Oliver.... :friends:

Dolfan02
09-02-2003, 08:36 PM
I definitely agree with one image per sig...

I run DSL so it may not matter about speed for me, but I agree that it will bring a nicer format to the threads.

ohall
09-02-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by ZOD
AJ,

I think you can take this one down. It's going to be a landslide. Mercy on the 56kers.

Now...If you could take a poll on Oliver's ability to "quote".

You might be surprised by the results. :lol:

JK, Oliver.... :friends:

Huh?

Where did that come from?

Oliver...

PatsWin2002
09-02-2003, 08:39 PM
I just realized that I had turned off the sigs here because of the enormous real estate they take up.

The dimension of the images is the biggest problem, not the number. File size hits the 56K crowd hard......until they figure out how to abuse the internet at work like most of us :).