PDA

View Full Version : Patriots released Lawyer Milloy! (merged)

PatsWin2002
09-02-2003, 10:06 AM
I'm posting this on the main board cuz it should be big news today...........

WEEI Sports Radio in Boston is reporting that the Patriots have released Lawyer Milloy.

Apparently they've been trying to get him to come down in salary and he wouldn't budge.....so Belichick said "see ya later".

He'll get picked up somewhere right away, but not at his $6 million cap number.

This should be big news today.........

PatsWin2002
09-02-2003, 10:12 AM
Here's the story:
http://flash.patriots.com/news/fullarticle.sps?id=24989&type=general

Muck
09-02-2003, 10:16 AM
WOW :eek:

This is very big news and is Phins noteworthy. Thank you for posting.

Muck
09-02-2003, 10:19 AM
What's your take on this, PatsWin??

bdwgroove
09-02-2003, 10:22 AM
That's huge. Do you think that the Packers go after him once he clears waivers...I know that they need a safety bigtime.

Muck
09-02-2003, 10:26 AM
I wouldn't doubt the TEXANS going after him. They need a safety like a hobo needs a ham sandwhich.

dolfan4good
09-02-2003, 10:26 AM
I bet he get's picked up right away. Say NO since they lost Mitchell last game. I just hope it's to a team outside the AFCE.

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 10:27 AM
holy ****!:eek: :eek: :eek:

is he SS or FS, for the life of me I cannot remember

Muck
09-02-2003, 10:28 AM
Yeah man, he and Tebucky Jones reuniting. But the Texans are up near the top of the waiver position. I can't see this guy lasting too long.

Muck
09-02-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by CirclingWagons
holy ****!:eek: :eek: :eek:

is he SS or FS, for the life of me I cannot remember

He's really a SS (as is T. Jones).

There's going to be a lot of interest in this guy. Hopefully he stays out of the East.

Sofa_King_Drunk
09-02-2003, 10:29 AM
Maybe the Saints? Or the Jets , they need safety help I believe and he would get two chances per year to stick it up the Pats a$$. With all of the picks the Pats have and now this cap room, could they make a move for RB help? Maybe a trade for Duce Staley?

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 10:30 AM
Come on TD!..pick up the ****ing phone!

FinsGoToGuy
09-02-2003, 10:34 AM
I don't believe it. It's a shocker !

I tought they had a great tandem of hardhitting safeties.

$UpErBoWlCh@Mp
09-02-2003, 10:40 AM
i think the vikings sould pick him up. but why would u cut him its stupidu could trade him or something.its just stupid:nesucks:

Hellion
09-02-2003, 10:41 AM
Come on TD!..pick up the ****ing phone!

Why do you want Terrell Davis to pick up the phone? Or do you me Tony Dorsett?:D

I super glued Donahue's phone together, he can't call. :lol: :lol: :evil:

M-REAL
09-02-2003, 10:44 AM
Damn, I can't believe it neither. Hmmm, this could be really cool if we picked him up too...

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Hellion

Why do you want Terrell Davis to pick up the phone? Or do you me Tony Dorsett?:D

I super glued Donahue's phone together, he can't call. :lol: :lol: :evil:
you bastard!:lol:

Clumpy
09-02-2003, 10:51 AM
Milloy is a vested vet........I do not believe he's subject to waivers. He's UFA free to sign with whomever he chooses

bdwgroove
09-02-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Milloy is a vested vet........I do not believe he's subject to waivers. He's UFA free to sign with whomever he chooses

Clump, you're right he's a UFA. He wasn't traded cause his salary cap number is just too big to fit on another team. Almost all of the teams in the league are right at the cap. When he signs with another team expect the first year of the contract to be very cap friendly

Muck
09-02-2003, 10:57 AM

See, that's what I always thought too. But then there was that thing with Deion Sanders and the Chargers snagging him from in front of the Raiders last year, which has thrown me off.

I guess I just need some clarification.

MDFINFAN
09-02-2003, 11:10 AM
This news blew me away, I couldn't believe what I was reading, I rush over here to see if I was the only person reading this. Did B. account for his salary this year? Man I'm just trippin on this.

FinFrenzy
09-02-2003, 11:11 AM
Check out whats being said on the patriots board.....................lmao

Board: A Board for all Preseason...
Title: BB has lost his mother f'n mind!
Author: soonerpatriot
Date: 09/02/03 Read Thread

I'm absolutely stunned. Now we have one safety of starting caliber on the team. One. And one that is coming off a major groin injury.

And I thought the SUnday cuts were a little nuts, this just takes the cake. Unf@@@@@@believable!

Title: Milloy - this is a joke, right???
Author: mec1970

Someone please pinch me and tell me that this is all just a bad dream!!!!!!

Title: We Cut Lawyer Milloy
Author: stevethedeve

THis is insane. Is the world turning inside out on itself? Why couldn't we cut someone else? Dang Nabbit!!!!!
As prior posts have mentioned this guy was the heart of our defense.
I'm shocked and disappointed that this guy was let go.

Title: milloy released!?!
Author: blodryer
Date: 09/02/03

Is this a joke!?!

Title: Lawyer Milloy?
Author: jmas

how could they cut the anchor of their D?? i understand money, but there is so much other dead money they could get rid of.. A Smith, Pfifer, McGinest.. but NOT LAWYER!! thats horrific.

Sorry about the length I don't know how to post a link.

But that is just great!!!!!!!!!

:nesucks: :happydrin :party: :lolcry:

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 11:13 AM
Damn he would look good in a Bills uni:cool:

MDFINFAN
09-02-2003, 11:16 AM

Clump you guys still have about 5 mil. in cap space, don't you?

iceblizzard69
09-02-2003, 11:16 AM
Wow, I just hope he doesn't end up in the AFC East.

VanDolPhan
09-02-2003, 11:19 AM
Dolphins/Jets/Bills fans can all agree on this.

Get him outta the division.

Who was the brains behind that one?

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by VanDolPhan

true van, unless he signs with us though...hopefully he does, we have oodles of cap space:cool:
if not, then get his *** far away from the East:lol:

zach13
09-02-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Between him and Tebucky Jones they have really downgraded their safety position.

Rodney Harrison just does not scare me as much as Tebucky

MDFINFAN
09-02-2003, 11:26 AM

true van, unless he signs with us though...hopefully he does, we have oodles of cap space:cool:
if not, then get his *** far away from the East:lol:

If he signs with you guys then your D is completely change, not just some with the additions you have now, with Milloy, you have a real captain back there reading the field, that would make your D's one of the best. So here's to hoping he can't sign anywhere he wants, because I have a feeling he would want to sign with you just to get back at the Pats. Then we will have to be dragged into your mess. :lol:

MDFINFAN
09-02-2003, 11:28 AM
Okay, this is a dream, I'm still sleep, right, this didn't really happen, did it.....Malloy is still a Patsy, right?

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by zachseau13

Between him and Tebucky Jones they have really downgraded their safety position.

Rodney Harrison just does not scare me as much as Tebucky omg, i agree with you!:lol:
true, Harrison is a hard hitter, but is a big liability in coverage

FinsGoToGuy
09-02-2003, 11:30 AM
I don't want him with the Bills cause it changes a lot of things.

And since he's UFA it wouldn't surprise me. Just look a Seau, he wanted to go to a team that would face the Chargers to make them pay.

He would be a great fit in Buffalo and could make the Pats regret that big time.

dolfan4good
09-02-2003, 11:32 AM
I think Bill Belichek has lost his mind!!!!! Outright release the defensive leader over money? Why not trade the guy... OUTSIDE your division!!

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 11:33 AM
guys, I've heard 24 teams have already contacted him...this from a pats fan on the bills board:lol:

FinsGoToGuy
09-02-2003, 11:33 AM
I tought the Pats had one of the best secondary in football but now it doesn't impress me anymore.

Ty Law is still good. RW made Harrison look very bad last year against SD and they will have rookies (or new face) at CB and FS.

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN
Okay, this is a dream, I'm still sleep, right, this didn't really happen, did it.....Malloy is still a Patsy, right?
yeah, I almost pissed myself when I saw it:lol:
come on Lawyer...I know you want Brady's head on a platter:evil:

FinsGoToGuy
09-02-2003, 11:36 AM
guys, I've heard 24 teams have already contacted him...this from a pats fan on the bills board:lol:

Only that ?
:)

He has been to the probowl the last 4 years so it isn't surprising. He is an upgrade over 98% of the safeties in the league.

XoPhinsoX
09-02-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by FinsGoToGuy
I don't want him with the Bills cause it changes a lot of things.

And since he's UFA it wouldn't surprise me. Just look a Seau, he wanted to go to a team that would face the Chargers to make them pay.

He would be a great fit in Buffalo and could make the Pats regret that big time.

I don't think Seau came to the Dolphins just to get back at the Chargers :(

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 11:38 AM

Only that ?

He has been to the probowl the last 4 years so it isn't surprising. He is an upgrade over 98% of the safeties in the league.
true....damn...I'm getting my hopes up too quickly:(
come on TD!

XoPhinsoX
09-02-2003, 11:38 AM
Who knows? Maybe Spielman can wield his magic cap wand and find a way to get him here :D

MDFINFAN
09-02-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by XoPhinsoX

I can quarantee the fact that they were on our schedule didn't hurt with getting him here.

SkapePhin
09-02-2003, 11:39 AM
I guarantee he will be a Bill now... He will want to stick it to the Pats... Oh man.. Things just agot a lot crazier in the AFC East.. Belicheck must be a closted Bills fan.. First Bledsoe now this???

::prays Bills dont get Milloy::

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by SkapePhin
I guarantee he will be a Bill now... He will want to stick it to the Pats... Oh man.. Things just agot a lot crazier in the AFC East.. Belicheck must be a closted Bills fan.. First Bledsoe now this???

::prays Bills dont get Milloy::
I'm so excited that i'm break dancing:lol:

FinsGoToGuy
09-02-2003, 11:41 AM
Who knows? Maybe Spielman can wield his magic cap wand and find a way to get him here :D

We could make him play at SSLB instead of Greenwood.

FinsGoToGuy
09-02-2003, 11:43 AM

He made it clear in a lot of interviews that he wanted to play for a team that would face the Chargers and for a contender. Miami happened to have both.

dolfan4good
09-02-2003, 11:44 AM

We could make him play at SSLB instead of Greenwood.

Not for the money he's going to be asking for. Unless it is very 2nd year heavy. That way we use Gardner's dead money on him.

The Jills have the best shot at him IMO.

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 11:45 AM
I just saw a few pats fans posts over at ganggreen and they honestly believe he will go to Buffalo just to play BB twice:rocker:

dolfan4good
09-02-2003, 11:47 AM
I just saw a few pats fans posts over at ganggreen and they honestly believe he will go to Buffalo just to play BB twice:rocker:

he's going to go to the highest bidder...

Buffalo gets him in case of a tie.

FinsGoToGuy
09-02-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by dolfan4good

he's going to go to the highest bidder...

Buffalo gets him in case of a tie.

Why if he is an UFA he can sign with anyone he wants no ?

XoPhinsoX
09-02-2003, 11:49 AM
If he can sign with anyone he isn't going to Buffalo.

Who actually chooses to go to Buffalo and play? :tongue:

SkapePhin
09-02-2003, 11:51 AM
ROFL.. IF the Bills get him he will play NE this Sunday! Oh Lord that would make for a great story..

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 11:52 AM
If he can sign with anyone he isn't going to Buffalo.

Who actually chooses to go to Buffalo and play? :tongue:
Spikes, Bledsoe, Posey, Adams, Reese, Sidney, Mckenzie, Milloy* for starters:tongue:

dolfan4good
09-02-2003, 11:53 AM

Why if he is an UFA he can sign with anyone he wants no ?

Yes. That's why he'll sign with whoever offers him the most $$$$$.

Justasportsfan
09-02-2003, 11:54 AM
Bledsoe and Milloy against B Bellichick. The media would eat that up.

Even if the bills got him, I doubt he'd start. He's gotta learn Gray's and Lebeau's system first. He would give us an insight on the Pats D though :D

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by justafan
Bledsoe and Milloy against B Bellichick. The media would eat that up.

Even if the bills got him, I doubt he'd start. He's gotta learn Gray's and Lebeau's system first. He would give us an insight on the Pats D though :D
damn, i didnt even think about that justa...great point...he could definately help Bledsoe out with some of their schemes and tendencies:D

FinsGoToGuy
09-02-2003, 11:56 AM
Last year they owned Bledsoe but with Milloy in the mix I think the Pats would look silly.

Maybe they tought that by cutting him after september 1 he would have less chance to sign with a division rival.

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 11:58 AM
Last year they owned Bledsoe but with Milloy in the mix I think the Pats would look silly.

Maybe they tought that by cutting him after september 1 he would have less chance to sign with a division rival.
Finsgo..this is becoming a bloody rivalry...look who the Pats picked up recently anyways: Bill Conaty, Larry Centers, and Ted Washington...We have Bledsoe, and hopefully Milloy....damn i love football:cool:

SABA-TOOTH
09-02-2003, 11:59 AM
I THINK THE RAMS WILL PICK HIM UP.. THEY LOST HERRING AND SEHORN..

PatsWin2002
09-02-2003, 12:00 PM
This is mentally exhausting for the morning after a holiday.....

I hope BB knows what he's doing. Without Tebucky this leaves us really thin back there.

BB really likes those rookies! This also lets Ty Law know that 1/7 of the team's cap # isn't going to him next year.

Lawyer can go where he wants........hmmm.....but where?

Peter King said over 20 teams would have interest, but only a few would have the cap room. People have mentioned Philly and maybe even Parcells could bite on this one.

We are ALL in agreement to get him out of the AFC East.

CirclingWagons
Originally posted by DREADED-ONE
they don't have any cap space though, or I would agree

SABA-TOOTH
DON'T WANT TO SEE HIM IN BUFFALO OR NEW JERSEY JERKS...

Justasportsfan
09-02-2003, 12:03 PM

Finsgo..this is becoming a bloody rivalry...look who the Pats picked up recently anyways: Bill Conaty, Larry Centers, and Ted Washington...We have Bledsoe, and hopefully Milloy....damn i love football:cool:

Antwan Smith :D

They were probably hoping that we'd be stacked at the safety position by this time via FA'cy. It still isn't a bad time to cut Milloy, I'm sure that this close to the Bills-Pats game, Milloy and his talent won't be of any effect since I'm sure the bills won't start him or play him if the bills do sign him.

PatsWin2002
09-02-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by DREADED-ONE

I thought that was a possibility too, but like some Rams fans are saying:

"Seriously doubt they have the cap room to sign him.
Besides, he and Archuleta play the same position.

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by justafan

Antwan Smith :D

They were probably hoping that we'd be stacked at the safety position by this time via FA'cy. It still isn't a bad time to cut Milloy, I'm sure that this close to the Bills-Pats game, Milloy and his talent won't be of any effect since I'm sure the bills won't start him or play him if the bills do sign him.
how could I forget the useless twan..lol

zach13
It's going to be tough for him to start anywhere right away. It will take him time to learn the defense wherever he will go.

But, I would expect the Bills to make a strong run at him. I have said before that the safeties are a real weakness for the Bills.

Clumpy
I love having cap space :D

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 12:08 PM
I love having cap space :D
Amen Brotha!:drinkers:

Scrap
09-02-2003, 12:11 PM
Man, I hope he doesn't go to the Bills.That would be huge for y'all.

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 12:13 PM
ok guys, I gotta run out for an hour or so....keep me posted...I'm giddy like a kid right now:D

PatsWin2002
09-02-2003, 12:16 PM
ok guys, I gotta run out for an hour or so....keep me posted...I'm giddy like a kid right now:D

Giddyness is not allowed. :lol:

"In Bill We Trust"

MDFINFAN
09-02-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by PatsWin2002
This is mentally exhausting for the morning after a holiday.....

I hope BB knows what he's doing. Without Tebucky this leaves us really thin back there.

BB really likes those rookies! This also lets Ty Law know that 1/7 of the team's cap # isn't going to him next year.

Lawyer can go where he wants........hmmm.....but where?

Peter King said over 20 teams would have interest, but only a few would have the cap room. People have mentioned Philly and maybe even Parcells could bite on this one.

We are ALL in agreement to get him out of the AFC East.

But we play them this year, even if it's once each. I want him where he can't touch any of us, well maybe just the phins.:D
The guys can hurt people, but as long as he's out of the east, I'm find with that.

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 12:22 PM

Giddyness is not allowed. :lol:

"In Bill We Trust"
:lol:

TerryTate
09-02-2003, 12:40 PM
i think if Ty Law goes to Barfalo it will bring the gap between the dolphins and bills all the more tighter, if anyone thought that the division competitors (my prediction = phins vs. bills) would be close, my guess is that they would either tie or the winner would win by a game

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by ultimateFINFAN
i think if Ty Law goes to Barfalo it will bring the gap between the dolphins and bills all the more tighter, if anyone thought that the division competitors (my prediction = phins vs. bills) would be close, my guess is that they would either tie or the winner would win by a game Milloy*

XoPhinsoX
09-02-2003, 01:24 PM

Spikes, Bledsoe, Posey, Adams, Reese, Sidney, Mckenzie, Milloy* for starters:tongue:

:yell: You know what I mean.

Ozzy
09-02-2003, 01:41 PM
I'm posting this on the main board cuz it should be big news today...........

WEEI Sports Radio in Boston is reporting that the Patriots have released Lawyer Milloy.

Apparently they've been trying to get him to come down in salary and he wouldn't budge.....so Belichick said "see ya later".

He'll get picked up somewhere right away, but not at his $6 million cap number.

This should be big news today.........

Very huge news.

One thing about Milloy is I don't think he has ever missed a game in like 8-9 years!

Another thing is that he did not have the best of years last year, but I'm sure he will be out for redemption!

My guess is he will be Billy Milloy soon!

More power to Billy if they do. But we have faced Milloy, and a darn good defense twice a year ever since he came into the league.

Billy may be vastly improved and getting him definetely improves them, but with Milloy on the side of BillyCheck I'm even more worried!

I just think Check is that good a defensive coach!

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 01:45 PM
Right about the longevity ozzy...106 straight games

zevo
09-02-2003, 01:51 PM
Apparently Td has alrerady contacted Lawyer and they will eb meeting today or tommorrow!

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by zevo
Apparently Td has alrerady contacted Lawyer and they will eb meeting today or tommorrow!
Zevo, it's going to be a great season:cool:

MaxPower
09-02-2003, 02:24 PM
Why is everyone getting their panties in a twist?

Milloy is good, but his best days are behind him. In fact, the most dangerous place for him to be as far as the Fins are concerned is where he WAS, with BB.

This is a great move for us. One of the better players on one of our toughest rivals is gone. The worst that could happen is if he ends up with Buffalo & then he'll be playing for a slightly less imaginative DC and he'll still face us twice a year.

At best he leaves the division, but there's no one on any team that should really scare our offense, and certainly not an aging SS.

RW can run over him here, in Buffalo, in NE, wherever he'd like to go:D

FinFrenzy
09-02-2003, 02:40 PM
I agree obviously Milloy is ALL about the money........whoever offers him more will get his services.........period

TypicalBill
09-02-2003, 02:55 PM
We just offered .. its all over ESPN

This came right off the espn website:Will Milloy face Pats in Week 1?
Could standout strong safety Lawyer Milloy actually line up against his former team in Sunday's regular season opener? Don't bet against it.

Armed with Drew Bledsoe's endorsement, the Buffalo Bills have already made contact with Milloy's representatives and made an opening contract proposal, ESPN.com has learned.

The Patriots and Bills meet in Buffalo Sunday in what already is seen as a key matchup of AFC East contenders.

Several teams may interested in Milloy, a top safety and respected locker room presence. A few might hesitate to sign Milloy, 29, before this wekend, since "vested" veterans have their base salaries guaranteed on opening day, but Buffalo wants to complete a deal quickly if the financial numbers are right.

"We'd sign him right now and play him on Sunday," said a high-ranking team official.

The current Buffalo starters, Coy Wire and Pierson Priloeau, are solid defenders but not in Milloy's class. The two did not have an interception between them in 2002.
--Len Pasquarelli

War Chief
09-02-2003, 03:39 PM
Seems like his cap number was just too high. Question, where does he go from here? Methinks he would look GREAT in Chiefs red. Indications are that he is talking to the Bills which could upset the balance of power in the AFC East.

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by War Chief
Seems like his cap number was just too high. Question, where does he go from here? Methinks he would look GREAT in Chiefs red. Indications are that he is talking to the Bills which could upset the balance of power in the AFC East.
it has...if he signs, the bills will be on their way to the AFC East title, the 5th different winner in a row

FinsGoToGuy
09-02-2003, 03:41 PM
There are two thread about that lower.

Mod please merge this one with the others.

FinFrenzy
09-02-2003, 03:45 PM

it has...if he signs, the bills will be on their way to the AFC East title, the 5th different winner in a row

I thought you were saying that before milloy ;)

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by FinFrenzy

I thought you were saying that before milloy ;)
nope, I said the Pats would take it;)

bigbry
09-02-2003, 03:47 PM

So you are saying the Bills are just one good defensive player away from the AFC East title.

BB

CirclingWagons
09-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by bigbry

So you are saying the Bills are just one good defensive player away from the AFC East title.

BB
It's just my view...which counts for nothing just like every other pick...We could very well win the east without him, who knows?...but it certainly increases our chances of winning with him on...not only that, those pats games wont look like 2 automatic losses anymore...he knows the whole playbook;)

MDFINFAN
09-02-2003, 04:11 PM

It's just my view...which counts for nothing just like every other pick...We could very well win the east without him, who knows?...but it certainly increases our chances of winning with him on...not only that, those pats games wont look like 2 automatic losses anymore...he knows the whole playbook;)

Agreed, he's a good talent to have on your team. But I don't think he stops you from losing to the Pats..that's a different matter. One lose player from their team doesn't disqualify them either.

ohall
09-02-2003, 05:46 PM

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Oliver...