PDA

View Full Version : IGN Gives GTA4 Perfect Score(PS3/360)

Brown42000
04-25-2008, 07:27 PM
GTA4 Review (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/869/869541p1.html)

10 Presentation
The story is Oscar quality. The use of the phone as a gaming portal is genius. There's really nothing more that could be asked for from GTA IV.

10 Graphics
The level of detail is astounding. Liberty City feels alive and lived in. While there are some technical issues, the artistic merits push the score to the max. A true marvel.

10 Sound
The dialogue makes the story. Without the excellent writing and the stellar voice acting, the story would fail. And the soundtrack kills -- more than 200 songs and almost all are great choices.

10 Gameplay
The cover and targeting system work great. Blind firing with an RPG is a thing of beauty. Everything works in harmony and not a single one of the missions is bad. The most fun I've had in years.

10 Lasting Appeal
The story will take anywhere from 25-45 hours to complete, depending on your skill level and attention span. There's plenty more to do once you finish the story, such as excellent multiplayer.

10/10

A few PS3 and 360 comparisons

For those wanting to know which version looks better, the edge goes to the PS3. The textures and framerate are comparable, but the PS3 has far less pop-in.

While GTA IV is pushing the PS3 and 360 to the limit, it also runs amazingly well. Sure, there are framerate hitches here and there and (particularly on 360) there is some texture pop-in, but it actually runs better than I expected.

The 360 has richer colors, but the PS3 has better anti-aliasing making it look a little cleaner. Because GTA IV can preload onto the PS3 hard drive, the in-game loads are faster. Don't worry Xbox owners, the load times are rarely more than 30 seconds and don't occur very often. The slight visual edge goes to PS3, but the 360 is no slouch. Either version will do you proud.

Medieval954
04-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Here's the link to the video review...

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/827005/grand-theft-auto-4/videos/gta4_review_042508.html

...so awesome. http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/04/25rl0yh-1.gif

First perfect score IGN has given since Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Miami 13
04-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Incredible! I didn't think it would get a 10/10, maybe between 9.5-9.8, BEST GAME EVER.

Get Up And Go
04-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Good news for the PS3.

CitizenSnips
04-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Im impressed, although not surprised. I listen to the ign podcasts every week, these guys have been gushing over this game for about 3 weeks now.

Some history here, the last time the two guys who reviewed GTA worked together, they gave Jade Empire a 9.9.

I'm very excited for this game. It looks fantastic, and its good to see they made the single player into a lengthy endeavor.

JL25
04-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Wow perfect score. I can't wait for it. Now I just gotta decide which system to get it for.

Joe Flipper
04-25-2008, 11:47 PM
Whats the diff between the 360 n ps3 versions ?

discuss

CitizenSnips
04-26-2008, 12:10 AM

discuss

According to IGN, the ps3 version runs smoother. But the 360 version will have the DLC episodes. (which based on the sheer mass of the game itself, i can only assume their DLC will add about 5-10 hours fo gameplay.)

Tetragrammaton
04-26-2008, 12:14 AM
I am very excited for this, especially after the mixed bag that was San Andreas. I pre-ordered at Best Buy and got a fancy poster.

Miami 13
04-26-2008, 01:04 AM

discuss

For those wanting to know which version looks better, the edge goes to the PS3. The textures and framerate are comparable, but the PS3 has far less pop-in. The 360 has richer colors, but the PS3 has better anti-aliasing making it look a little cleaner. Because GTA IV can preload onto the PS3 hard drive, the in-game loads are faster.
From IGN.

BARF
04-26-2008, 01:07 AM
cant wait i will probably get for the ps3 i have always played the gta series on ps do not want to brake that trend. that way my ps3 games could catch up with xbox games

FinsNCanes
04-26-2008, 10:48 AM
I really do hope the multi-player is fun. 10 out of 10? Mmm..we'll see.

Dolphins9954
04-27-2008, 07:19 PM
From IGN.

At the same time both versions of the game got a perfect 10. So at this point it's just about preference and opinion. GTA 4 will be amazing regardless of which system it is. Except the Wii. Sony made a big mistake losing GTA4 to 360. GTA 4 will sell more games on 360 no doubt about it.

SarahAnn
04-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Rock* wants both versions to be the same when everything is said and done. My advice is to get it on the system where you have more friends.

Miami 13
04-27-2008, 09:35 PM
At the same time both versions of the game got a perfect 10. So at this point it's just about preference and opinion. GTA 4 will be amazing regardless of which system it is. Except the Wii. Sony made a big mistake losing GTA4 to 360. GTA 4 will sell more games on 360 no doubt about it.
O RLY?

Pre-orders for the PS3 version of Grand Theft Auto IV are outstripping the Xbox 360 version by 3:1 on the website of UK supermarket Asda.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=187505

SarahAnn
04-27-2008, 11:32 PM
O RLY?

Its pretty even on amazon though the 360 has a slight edge there. Much as I would love to claim the PS3 version vastly superior, its just not true.

Miami 13
04-28-2008, 12:20 AM
Its pretty even on amazon though the 360 has a slight edge there. Much as I would love to claim the PS3 version vastly superior, its just not true.
Well the PS3 version of GTA IV runs and looks better on PS3.

CitizenSnips
04-28-2008, 12:42 AM
Can the 360 vs. ps3 arguement die for GTA 4? I mean there's no SIGNIFICANT differnce between the games. And I doubt any of you are going out to buy BOTH versions tomorrow just to prove which ones better...are you?

Seriously, its a fantastic game for sure, BE HAPPY ITS ON BOTH SYSTEMS. Think of the poor wii owners people. They're stuck with mario kart.

Miami 13
04-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Can the 360 vs. ps3 arguement die for GTA 4? I mean there's no SIGNIFICANT differnce between the games. And I doubt any of you are going out to buy BOTH versions tomorrow just to prove which ones better...are you?

Seriously, its a fantastic game for sure, BE HAPPY ITS ON BOTH SYSTEMS. Think of the poor wii owners people. They're stuck with mario kart.
I know, but it's been stated several times from different sources that the PS3 does perform better, with help coming from the initial install on the PS3 HDD. But all I care about is that I will have this game in less than 24 hours!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Dolphins9954
04-28-2008, 12:14 PM
O RLY?

GTA4 will sell more copies on the 360 period. The number of 360's out there especially in the American market will guarantee it.

Dolphins9954
04-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Well the PS3 version of GTA IV runs and looks better on PS3.

Both versions got a perfect 10.

So at this point arguing about which one is better is a complete waste of time.

mor911
04-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Here's what pisses me off about IGN ans their review style:

10 Graphics
The level of detail is astounding. Liberty City feels alive and lived in. While there are some technical issues, the artistic merits push the score to the max. A true marvel.
Simply put, if there is anything at all to complain about, then it can't be perfect can it? The definition of the word perfect is:

"being complete of its kind and without defect or blemish; "a perfect circle"; "a perfect reproduction"; "perfect happiness"; "perfect manners"; "a ..."

Being that he had something negative to say about the game, wouldn't that defeat the perfect score? Don't get me wrong, I love the game to death. But I'm also a firm believer in that there is no perfect game. Not this one, not Ocarina of Time, not any. Yes, some can come close (like this one and Ocarina of Time)... But not perfect.

I liked GT's more realistic review much better:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33326.html

CitizenSnips
04-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Here's what pisses me off about IGN ans their review style:

Simply put, if there is anything at all to complain about, then it can't be perfect can it? The definition of the word perfect is:

"being complete of its kind and without defect or blemish; "a perfect circle"; "a perfect reproduction"; "perfect happiness"; "perfect manners"; "a ..."

Being that he had something negative to say about the game, wouldn't that defeat the perfect score? Don't get me wrong, I love the game to death. But I'm also a firm believer in that there is no perfect game. Not this one, not Ocarina of Time, not any. Yes, some can come close (like this one and Ocarina of Time)... But not perfect.

I liked GT's more realistic review much better:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33326.html

Again i have to agree with you mor. I don't know how a GTA game gets a 10 in graphics. There's no way its on the same level as a Square Enix game or gears of war, etc etc.

It seems like IGN spent most of the review trying to merit giving GTA a 10 instead of 'reviewing it'.

FinsNCanes
04-28-2008, 01:38 PM
GTA get's the same treatment now as Mario, Zelda and so on. I actually canceled my pre-order today..:lol:

I think I'm just going to wait for something else unless I hear the multi-player is really good. I just really have a hard time spending 60 bucks on a single player game because after I beat it I just trade it in and lose money anyways. Mass Effect was good but it was hailed as this legendary RPG..which it wasn't. It was very linear in many aspects.