PDA

View Full Version : Jets get Gholston!

Jetsfan0099
04-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Welcome to NY Vernon Gholston, lets watch you become a beast of a pass rusher. Best pass rusher in the draft, a physical freak, now we have 3 guys that can get after the QB in Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, Vernon Gholston. Jets defense looking stacked.

FINSFAN2781
04-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Welcome to NY Vernon Gholston, lets watch you become a beast of a pass rusher. Best pass rusher in the draft, a physical freak, now we have 3 guys that can get after the QB in Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, Vernon Gholston. Jets defense looking stacked.

Dude, noone cares.

TomBradyWoot
04-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Good pick for the Jets, especially at a need position.

mindstate
04-26-2008, 05:59 PM

And David Harris, who led the team along with Ellis with 5 sacks.

Jets81
04-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Good pick for the Jets, especially at a need position.

Hopefully it works out that way. The Jets pass rush was pathetic last season, a total embarrassment. Hopefully Gholston can make the jump and become a top notch pro.

Jetsfan0099
04-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Got to love the Dustin Keller pick up, the guy has great speed for a TE. We need that type of weapon in our offense.

Check out his highlights.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3O5zlZziMfQ

PhinzN703
04-27-2008, 12:40 AM

Super Bowl here the Jets come! :up:

TotoreMexico
04-27-2008, 12:42 AM
Got to love the Dustin Keller pick up, the guy has great speed for a TE. We need that type of weapon in our offense.

Check out his highlights.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3O5zlZziMfQ

I think you reached for him

nyjunc
04-27-2008, 08:10 AM
Our D was very good by the end of last season and w/ all the upgrades this offseason I have very high expectations. I think Gholston will be alot like John Abraham as a rookie, just coming in on 3rd downs to rush the passer. Hopefully he plays more than the 6 games Abe played and hopefully he has a similar impact.

Jetsfan0099
04-27-2008, 10:12 AM
I don't think we reached for him, hes a good player. Hes like Dallas Clark, except more speed. If he is consistently putting up 500-600 yards a season, it was worth it. The Giants were going to take him to replace Shockey.

FinsNCanes
04-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Wasn't one of the huge knocks on Gholston is that he isn't concistent enough and at many times goes "missing" in games?

Jetsfan0099
04-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Wasn't one of the huge knocks on Gholston is that he isn't concistent enough and at many times goes "missing" in games?
Coaching will solve that, hes a young player at 21 yrs old. He hasn't played a lot of football, and he still dominated in college. Had the most sacks in a season at Ohio State with 14. He will be fine.

Bluedevilsrock4
04-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Thrilled with the Gholston pick. Our pass rush was non existent last year, yet our pass defense held up all-right. Our secondary should be able to make alot of plays for us this year with some pressure being applied on the opposing QB. Our defense is shaping up to be pretty damn good.

Jetsfan0099
04-27-2008, 05:18 PM
I hope he ends up being a star

Nublar7
04-27-2008, 05:58 PM
I was thrilled he went to the Jets and that McFadden didn't fall to them. IMO, Gholston has the one of the biggest "Bust" probabilites of the draft. He could end up being a hall of famer, or he could end up out of the league in three or four years. A very risky player to draft. I actually lost sleep when there was talk Miami was considering taking him #1.

Jetsfan0099
04-27-2008, 07:08 PM
He will be a good player, that is BS about him taking plays off, that was the knock on Mario Williams also. Gholston should be a star, I heard even Bill Parcells thought he was like a DeMarcus Ware type player. Fastest first step as a DE in this draft. I am happy, hes a freak of a athlete.

Dors156
04-27-2008, 07:45 PM
The player that I am most worried about being a star from a division rival is James Hardy on the Bills. I have watched him play and he is so big and so fast. Looks just like a Randy Moss. I was disgusted to see him drafted to the Bills. Gholston could be a great pass rusher too. He seems like he is a Demarcus Ware type player.

nyjunc
04-28-2008, 05:40 AM
He will be a good player, that is BS about him taking plays off, that was the knock on Mario Williams also. Gholston should be a star, I heard even Bill Parcells thought he was like a DeMarcus Ware type player. Fastest first step as a DE in this draft. I am happy, hes a freak of a athlete.

Supposedly it was down to Long & Gholston for the dolphins pick so we know Parcells loved him just as he loved Calvin Pace meaning if things turned out a little different tand Pace & Gholston were in Miami we'd hear how great those 2 are going to be but instead we here what busts they will be.

Vertical Limit
04-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Dude, noone cares.
Umm, Jets fans do, and this isn't the smack forum.

I think Gholston will fit very well with Mangini's defense. A ton of people had him dropping very low, but I think at #6 is where he should be, plus he can make an impact on that team right away.

I didn't really see McFadden going to the Jets even if he dropped there, I think Gholston may have been Mangini's target; it wouldn't make sense to have McFadden, they already have a lot of talent in the backfield with Thomas and Washington, and even though Oakland has a crowded backfield, Al Davis never makes sense.

BleedinGreenNC
04-28-2008, 11:33 AM
The player that I am most worried about being a star from a division rival is James Hardy on the Bills. I have watched him play and he is so big and so fast. Looks just like a Randy Moss. I was disgusted to see him drafted to the Bills. Gholston could be a great pass rusher too. He seems like he is a Demarcus Ware type player.

Im with you on that one! Hardy is who i wanted the Jets to draft, he is going to be dangerous!

FinfanInBuffalo
04-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Supposedly it was down to Long & Gholston for the dolphins pick so we know Parcells loved him just as he loved Calvin Pace meaning if things turned out a little different tand Pace & Gholston were in Miami we'd hear how great those 2 are going to be but instead we here what busts they will be.

I heard on Sirrius (according Gary Myers of the NY Daily News) this morning that the Jets' draft board was:

Chris Long
McFadden
Gholston

I did not want either Chris Long or Gholston at the #1 spot. I didn't want to take a guy that is projected to change position in the pros. Its less of a concern for Gholston, but he did play mostly DE in college. Chris Long is a much better fit in a 4-3 defense at DE. I was not interested in drafting Chris Long to "try" to play OLB. I think Gholston is going to suffer in pass coverage.

From the NY Daily News:

Vernon Gholston was not the Jets' first choice to get after Pats QB Tom Brady. They wanted Virginia DE Chris Long and tried on Saturday to trade up from their No. 6 spot in the first round to St. Louis' No. 2 spot to get him.

CDNPHIN
04-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Jets have had a really good offseason.

Vertical Limit
04-28-2008, 02:18 PM
I heard on Sirrius (according Gary Myers of the NY Daily News) this morning that the Jets' draft board was:

Chris Long
McFadden
Gholston

I did not want either Chris Long or Gholston at the #1 spot. I didn't want to take a guy that is projected to change position in the pros. Its less of a concern for Gholston, but he did play mostly DE in college. Chris Long is a much better fit in a 4-3 defense at DE. I was not interested in drafting Chris Long to "try" to play OLB. I think Gholston is going to suffer in pass coverage.

From the NY Daily News:

Vernon Gholston was not the Jets' first choice to get after Pats QB Tom Brady. They wanted Virginia DE Chris Long and tried on Saturday to trade up from their No. 6 spot in the first round to St. Louis' No. 2 spot to get him.
Chris Long is very versitile and can become another Jason Taylor except Chris has the stamina of an Aaron Kampman in the sense that he doesn't take plays off, like Jason does. Doesn't surprise me that the Jets wanted to trade up; Chris Long is going to be very special.

They still got a great pass rusher though in Vernom, and they already have Pace. Didn't the Jets have a drought of a couple of games without a single sack last season? I think they solved that problem.

Mike13
04-28-2008, 07:28 PM
I thought he was way overhyped.

Nublar7
04-28-2008, 09:59 PM
I wouldn't be surprised also if we find out down the road he is a steroid user.

nyjunc
04-29-2008, 05:48 AM
I wouldn't be surprised also if we find out down the road he is a steroid user.

Now you guys are throwing out steroid accusations? :rolleyes2: Maybe he did/does use them, maybe Jason Taylor did/does use them. No positive tests have come up so why speculate? If Miami drafted him I'm sure you wouldn't have brought this up.

Vertical Limit
04-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Don't players get tested for everything before the draft?

nyjunc
04-29-2008, 09:16 AM
Don't players get tested for everything before the draft?

I believe so, that doesn't mean players aren't using. They find was around tests, I am very confident that there is as big of a performance enhancing drug problem in the NFL as there is in MLB and the other sports. W/ that said you can't single out a player to accuse just b/c he's on a team you do not like.

Nublar7
04-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Now you guys are throwing out steroid accusations? :rolleyes2: Maybe he did/does use them, maybe Jason Taylor did/does use them. No positive tests have come up so why speculate? If Miami drafted him I'm sure you wouldn't have brought this up.Check past posts, I was against drafting Gholston when there were rumors Miami was interested in him. Remember that David Boston was in the NFL for years before he failed his first test. I am not saying Gholston will, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

Jetsfan0099
04-29-2008, 02:21 PM
I thought he was way overhyped.

Same thing people thought about Mario Williams, disappears in games, took plays off, sacks came in bunches, just a work out warrior. Will see.

FinsNCanes
04-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Gholston is your next David Boston. A guy with a ton of upside but more focued on working out. Hell if I know....

Mike13
04-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Same thing people thought about Mario Williams, disappears in games, took plays off, sacks came in bunches, just a work out warrior. Will see.

We'll see indeed.

Supposedly it was down to Long & Gholston for the dolphins pick

It was actually down to Chris and Jake.

nyjunc
04-30-2008, 05:21 AM
Gholston is your next David Boston. A guy with a ton of upside but more focued on working out. Hell if I know....

Boston was a top WR for a few years so at worst you are saying Gholston will at least be a top pass rusher for a few years?

d-day
04-30-2008, 05:36 AM
hell if he knows

satz
04-30-2008, 08:23 AM
I think its unfair to call him a bust. Even comparing him to mario williams .mario williams played DE in college and pro.He just had to learn the pro style of playing his game. Gholston has to learn a entirely new position and when he drops into coverage or plays behind the LOS he has to learn and develop instincts to read a play and react. Its a major change on how he plays,now he has to learn that and then learn it in the pro.

for his own sake i hope the jets do not push him too hard for a year or 2 and let to reach his potential.

nyjunc
04-30-2008, 08:30 AM
I think its unfair to call him a bust. Even comparing him to mario williams .mario williams played DE in college and pro.He just had to learn the pro style of playing his game. Gholston has to learn a entirely new position and when he drops into coverage or plays behind the LOS he has to learn and develop instincts to read a play and react. Its a major change on how he plays,now he has to learn that and then learn it in the pro.

for his own sake i hope the jets do not push him too hard for a year or 2 and let to reach his potential.

I think he'll be used in a similar way to how the Jets used John Abraham in 2000 as a rookie. They just brought him in on passing downs and he terrorized QBs. He didn't have to worry about anything else but rushing the QB as a rookie. Unfortunately he got hurt and only played 6 games but I see the Jets using Gholston in a similar fashion as a rookie.

jetsman
04-30-2008, 07:35 PM
I disagree.I believe Gholston starts from day 1 and is an all around player at OLB.The position he played at Ohio State was drop end,also called the "Leo".He was required on some plays to drop into coverage and run with backs out of the backfield.On other plays he rushed the passer.He is much more than a one trick pony,which is what Abraham was for all intents and purposes.

He is gonna be very,very good right from the start.There won't be much of an adjustment phase.:up:

BwanaZulia
05-12-2008, 04:33 PM
I think you reached for him

He was the best available and a good pick.

BZ

Deadhead
05-12-2008, 10:44 PM

Gholston is going to be the best player in the draft in addition he dominated the 1st pick in the draft.

Iroquois Joe
05-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Gholston is going to be the best player in the draft in addition he dominated the 1st pick in the draft.

Pretty savey prediction there pal, oh and how does Gholston, the 6th player drafted and the 2nd DE after Long dominate the 1st pick in the draft????

That language makes no sense. Is that why your called Deadhead?

PhinFan0202
05-14-2008, 02:20 PM
It's a good pick. I think Vernon Gholston will probably be the next Shawne Merriman type player.

BwanaZulia
05-15-2008, 03:11 PM
From this forum to Mangini's ears! :)

BZ

Fin88
05-15-2008, 04:56 PM

Todd McShay has Gholston as being the "most likely bust" among the early guys drafted. Better hope he is wrong Jet's fan. :lol:

jetsman
05-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Todd McShay has Gholston as being the "most likely bust" among the early guys drafted. Better hope he is wrong Jet's fan. :lol:

Keep laughing now because when Gholston is wreaking havoc in week 1 you won't have much to smile about......:)

By the way,two thirds of the sacks Jake Long gave up in college went to Gholston.Interesting stat I thought you might like to know.:sidelol:

nyjunc
05-21-2008, 06:18 AM

That proves it. We might as well cut this guy now to save us the trouble:foundout:

sceeto
05-26-2008, 03:55 AM
Yeah! Wow! 1 sack in 4 freakin' years:sidelol:.....now that's the definition of Jets domination, I understand but....:sidelol:

K-Ro25
05-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Yeah! Wow! 1 sack in 4 freakin' years:sidelol:.....now that's the definition of Jets domination, I understand but....:sidelol:
Gholston actually got 2 in 3 years which is two sacks in the three times they matched up.

BleedinGreenNC
05-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Gholston actually got 2 in 3 years which is two sacks in the three times they matched up.

DOnt tell the homers that!

HurriPhin
05-27-2008, 03:28 AM
By the way,two thirds of the sacks Jake Long gave up in college went to Gholston.Interesting stat I thought you might like to know.

Very interesting indeed. Should be an entertaining matchup. Hopefully both of these guys will make it and add another piece to the rivalry.

ArmyFin7
02-17-2009, 12:54 PM
I was digging threw old threads and got a good laugh at this one. I'm sure Jet fan will the Rex Ryan will turn him from a work out warrior into a real player....lol

X-Pacolypse
02-17-2009, 02:31 PM
B-U-S-T... Bust, Bust, Bust!!!!

nyjunc
02-17-2009, 04:25 PM
I was digging threw old threads and got a good laugh at this one. I'm sure Jet fan will the Rex Ryan will turn him from a work out warrior into a real player....lol

Maybe we should dig out the Ricky Wiiliams thread, the AJ Feely thread, the Nick Saban thread, the Cam Cameron thread,...:lol:

feelthepain
02-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Maybe we should dig out the Ricky Wiiliams thread, the AJ Feely thread, the Nick Saban thread, the Cam Cameron thread,...:lol:

Or maybe, the Dolphins signing Chad Pennington, Brett Favre retires after one awful year in NY or the last game of the 08 season Chad Pennington returns to NY to kick his old team in the *** on his way to the division title threads?

Kadiddlehopper
02-17-2009, 06:48 PM
What goes around comes around. Like we never had a 1st round bust?

Nublar7
02-17-2009, 09:33 PM
So far, I am correct in my post draft assessment on Gholsten.

CedarPhin
02-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Dude was just a workout warrior, kind've like Vernon Davis was.

Oraclepz
02-17-2009, 11:44 PM
lol damn... i just keep reading the comment how gholston dominated jake.... JAKE=Probowl> Vernon=cant crack the starting lineup.

SO FAR SO GOOD!!!:up:

nyjunc
02-18-2009, 07:29 AM
lol damn... i just keep reading the comment how gholston dominated jake.... JAKE=Probowl> Vernon=cant crack the starting lineup.

SO FAR SO GOOD!!!:up:

jake was a PB alternate, got in b/c someone got hurt. Obviously he is WAY ahead of Gholston and he probably always will be but let's not crown jake just yet.

feelthepain
02-18-2009, 02:11 PM
jake was a PB alternate, got in b/c someone got hurt. Obviously he is WAY ahead of Gholston and he probably always will be but let's not crown jake just yet.

Do your research, Jake Should have gone ahead of Jason Peters. Jake had 2.5 sacks as a rookie, Jason Peters had 11.5 sacks as a vet. Peters got in over Jake....that's a frikin joke. That was as Bad as sending Brett Favre to the Por bowl over Philip Rivers.

nyjunc
02-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Do your research, Jake Should have gone ahead of Jason Peters. Jake had 2.5 sacks as a rookie, Jason Peters had 11.5 sacks as a vet. Peters got in over Jake....that's a frikin joke. That was as Bad as sending Brett Favre to the Por bowl over Philip Rivers.

Plenty of players should have gone in ahead of Peters including Ferguson.

Nublar7
02-21-2009, 12:27 PM
D'Brickashaw Ferguson played better then Peters, but is in no way a Pro Bowl LT. You could make the case for Clady from Denver going to the Pro Bowl, but Ferguson?

Jake Long had every right to go to the Pro Bowl as he is one of the elite left tackles in the game. The nice thing is that he is only going to get better.

Oraclepz
02-21-2009, 12:39 PM

your probably right .. but it should have never been Peters.. The only person i would have accepted ahead of jake was Ryan Clady thats it!!! So in reality he should of made the probowl the first time because theres no way in hell Peters should of even sniffed the probowl....

nyjunc
02-21-2009, 01:17 PM
D'Brickashaw Ferguson played better then Peters, but is in no way a Pro Bowl LT. You could make the case for Clady from Denver going to the Pro Bowl, but Ferguson?

Jake Long had every right to go to the Pro Bowl as he is one of the elite left tackles in the game. The nice thing is that he is only going to get better.

I think elite is stretching it, I think his draft status played a major role in being an alterante. He was good but I wouldn't call him elite based on his rookie year. As long as he continues to improve I'd expect he'll be elite but Joe Thomas had that look after '07 and he took a step back in '08.

Dolphins101
02-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Gholston is a wuss and a bust!!! He doesn't like contact lol.

Jetsfan89
02-23-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing what Gholston can do this year under Rex Ryan.

jetsman
02-24-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing what Gholston can do this year under Rex Ryan.

As am I.Gholston wasn't drafted to start,but some here don't let that fact get in the way of their BS.Thomas and Pace were our starters from the beginning,and Mangini's "read and react" two gap system was too complicated for a rookie who was switching positions to master in the short time he was in camp(reported late because Ohio State graduates later than anyone else).

Dtronic
02-24-2009, 11:51 PM
I like threads like this when it's slow.

Nubs had the ***** to post his accurate comments just after the draft.:thanks:

nyjunc
02-25-2009, 06:30 AM
As am I.Gholston wasn't drafted to start,but some here don't let that fact get in the way of their BS.Thomas and Pace were our starters from the beginning,and Mangini's "read and react" two gap system was too complicated for a rookie who was switching positions to master in the short time he was in camp(reported late because Ohio State graduates later than anyone else).

Gholston wasn't drafted to start last year BUT he was supposd to at least contribute and push for a starting job this year. I didn't expect alot out of him as a rookie but I did expect something and he gave us absolutely nothing. This will be a criticial year for him.

shastz
02-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Gholston wasn't drafted to start last year BUT he was supposd to at least contribute and push for a starting job this year. I didn't expect alot out of him as a rookie but I did expect something and he gave us absolutely nothing. This will be a criticial year for him.

That could be the dumbest thing I've ever heard, you dont draft developmental players in the top 10 of the draft. He is what he is, a flat out bust. There is no coaching method that teaches heart or disire.

nyjunc
02-25-2009, 10:11 AM
That could be the dumbest thing I've ever heard, you dont draft developmental players in the top 10 of the draft. He is what he is, a flat out bust. There is no coaching method that teaches heart or disire.

You don't? How long have you followed the NFL? We had 2 starters at OLB that we just gave both big contracts. Gholston was changing positions and was viewed more as a raw player in need of development. He was NOT drafted to start last year.

shastz
02-25-2009, 11:41 AM
You don't? How long have you followed the NFL? We had 2 starters at OLB that we just gave both big contracts. Gholston was changing positions and was viewed more as a raw player in need of development. He was NOT drafted to start last year.

Sorry but there isn't a GM this side of Matt Millen that drafts a player in the top ten thinking maybe in two or three years he'll be able to play. Your just kidding yourself thinking that way. Also your argument that he was learning a new system doesn't fly either, the Jets played 43% of all their defensive snaps this year from a traditional 4-3 set, and still the combine freak couldn't make an impact. I should be asking you how long you've been following the NFL.:lol:

nyjunc
02-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Sorry but there isn't a GM this side of Matt Millen that drafts a player in the top ten thinking maybe in two or three years he'll be able to play. Your just kidding yourself thinking that way. Also your argument that he was learning a new system doesn't fly either, the Jets played 43% of all their defensive snaps this year from a traditional 4-3 set, and still the combine freak couldn't make an impact. I should be asking you how long you've been following the NFL.:lol:

Wher do you get your info from w/ the 43%? Are you breaking down film? I watched every play, have every play on tape and there's no way they played a 4-3 43% of the time.

PAY ATTENTION to what I write, I never said they drafted him in hopes that 2-3 years down the road he'd be able to play. I said he wasn't drafted to start right away, the expectations were low but he didn't meet them. He was expected to be a situational pass rusher as a rookie, he failed at that but he was never drafted to start right away- not after they just signed Pace and had signed Thomas to an extension the year before. I'm sure they would have been pleased had he pushed Thomas but he wasn't expected to start.

Jetsfan89
02-25-2009, 11:54 AM

Vernon Gholston was not drafted to start in year 1. Sorry but those are just the facts. The Jets paid Bryan Thomas a lot of money after 2006 and gave Pace a lot of money going into last season to be the starting OLB's with Harris and Barton in the middle.

Now with that said of course Gholston was supposed to get on the field and push (primarily Thomas) for the starting job. But many believed that in year 1 he would be a situational player. He struggled learning the system and didnt get on the field much.

FinFrenzy
02-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Vernon Gholston was not drafted to start in year 1. Sorry but those are just the facts. The Jets paid Bryan Thomas a lot of money after 2006 and gave Pace a lot of money going into last season to be the starting OLB's with Harris and Barton in the middle.

I would have to disagree you don't draft any position in the top 10 and pay mega million dollar deals to someone who you hope will develop when their contract expires with your team.

Jetsfan89
02-25-2009, 05:45 PM
I would have to disagree you don't draft any position in the top 10 and pay mega million dollar deals to someone who you hope will develop when their contract expires with your team.

Huh? Nobody said they are hoping he is fully developed by the time his contract expires with the team.

Just that he wasnt going to start the first season. Hopefully he would win the job from Thomas in year 2.