PDA

View Full Version : I Love this draft.. Everything is making Perfect Sense !

Pinkboy
04-26-2008, 07:29 PM
We added Jason Ferguson, Ayodele, Starks, Torbor and Merling to the front 7.. Notice the common denominator here? All of those players' strengths is to STOP THE RUN !

You guys may like the sexy picks like WR, QB and other sexy positions. But let me tell you that those sexy picks won't do anything unless we can run, block, and STOP the run first.

And that all starts upfront. J Long for offense, and now Merling on D.

Alot of you forget how easy it was for teams to run on us. Well Merling was the best run stuffer available. Unless you can stop the run, those sexy picks won't be able to do anything...

First, you need to build the foundation of the house, and this is what Parcells is doing. Parcells promised he would add size to this team, and we really needed that. Furthermore, we REALLY needed to stop the run..

This is a long rebuild here. It will take years to get us back on top.. This is not the time for the Sweed's and the sexy players.. That will come later. We are building from the ground up and going with the basics. The basics of being able to run and stop the run. The sexy picks will come in future years. You all will just have to be patient. Parcells is doing it the smart way.

Pinkboy
04-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Man are we ever going to be a better team when it comes to the fundamentals. We will be bigger and stronger.. The more I think about it the more I like the plan this regime is partaking here.

You gotta be able to be a great running team to sell the play action and suck up the D to pass.. And you gotta stop the run on D before you can confuse the opposing offense with your defensive schemes (open the playbook)

I love it ! This is the way to start the rebuild of an awful 1-15 team. From the ground up.. Don't worry, the sexy picks will come after the foundation is built. But first things first.

Baby steps baby steps :up:

PressCoverage
04-26-2008, 07:33 PM
I have no major problem with the Merling pick. He's a hustler, and a smart football player. However, if Taylor goes, this team has little pass rush. A disruptive outside LB is essential. Groves, please. PLEASE!?

Hagan82
04-26-2008, 07:34 PM
I agree 100%...like they say, it all starts in the trenches

Gardenhead
04-26-2008, 07:36 PM
We added Jason Ferguson, Ayodele, Starks, Torbor and Merling to the front 7.. Notice the common denominator here? All of those players' strengths is to STOP THE RUN !

You guys may like the sexy picks like WR, QB and other sexy positions. But let me tell you that those sexy picks won't do anything unless we can run, block, and STOP the run first.

Alot of you forget how easy it was for teams to run on us. Well Merling was the best run stuffer available. Unless you can stop the run, those sexy picks won't be able to do anything...

First, you need to build the foundation of the house, and this is what Parcells is doing. Parcells promised he would add size to this team, and we really needed that. Furthermore, we REALLY needed to stop the run..

This is a long rebuild here. It will take years to get us back on top.. This is not the time for the Sweed's and the sexy players.. That will come later. We are building from the ground up and going with the basics. The basics of being able to run and stop the run. The sexy picks will come in future years. You all will just have to be patient. Parcells is doing it the smart way.

I agree with you, but am irritated with your condescending tone. You're not the only person out there who isn't seduced by "sexy" picks. You're not the only person who is patient.

PressCoverage
04-26-2008, 07:38 PM
I agree with you, but am irritated with your condescending tone. You're not the only person out there who isn't seduced by "sexy" picks. You're not the only person who is patient.

Condescending tone is the entire reason people pontificate on the internet. It's the only language that resonates. You're in the wrong place if you're that irritated by forum "tone."

firemanx
04-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Next up we pick Henne, and get that big QB that Parcells loves with a strong arm, and we are on the right track. I also hope we move JT and can somehow get Groves.

Gardenhead
04-26-2008, 07:50 PM
Condescending tone is the entire reason people pontificate on the internet. It's the only language that resonates. You're in the wrong place if you're that irritated by forum "tone."

Touche! You're probably right....

Pinkboy
04-26-2008, 07:50 PM

Sorry. I didn't mean to generalize.

I just see "draft Sweed" threads everywhere and so many threads started on people wanting sexy pics instead of what this regime is really building for.

I should have said the "majority" of people. Not "everyone". My bad.

TPD1479
04-26-2008, 07:51 PM
The only thing I hate so far is trading away BOOKER... Very silly move in my opinion.

jlfin
04-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Next up we pick Henne, and get that big QB that Parcells loves with a strong arm, and we are on the right track. I also hope we move JT and can somehow get Groves.

Henne is nothing special and is not as good a prospect as Beck was coming out last yr. It would be a waste of a pick IMO.

Rebar71
04-26-2008, 08:31 PM
The only thing I hate so far is trading away BOOKER... Very silly move in my opinion.

Why? With Ronnie and Ricky, Booker would never see the field.

BTW - we just got Henne. Day 1 has been EXCELLENT.

SammySmif
04-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Henne is a Parcell's QB. We will see how he does, but now we have a nice QB battle going.

How many picks do we have left?

3rdandinches
04-26-2008, 09:09 PM
I wonder if we'll go OG with our first pick tomorrow.

SammySmif
04-26-2008, 09:10 PM
One more OL, a TE, a DB and a WR I think are essential.

Sprinkle in Kevin Smith, and you have an awesome draft.

209Mason
04-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Lots of good Guards and WRs out there.
I really think DB needs to be top priority... I think there's a pretty big dropoff after Godfrey... my .02

Digital
04-26-2008, 09:20 PM
I do not love this draft. None of the guys individually are bad picks, but I dislike the Merling and Henne picks. Jake Long was a great pick, I'm a big fan.

Merling over Groves? We ended up letting all of the top tier CB's slip away, we didn't add an impact pass rusher, and we still have another G/T to pick up for the offensive line. We haven't added any receiving targets (although we did pick up Fasano who is an OK receiving TE). All in all, we left holes that are going to be hard to fill with our 2nd day picks. IMHO, Henne would have been there at 64. Merling isn't a special player and despite what Mayock and others have said, he's not deserving of the 32nd pick. Except for Jake Long, it's looking like we overdrafted for need.

Parcells has shown numerous times that he can take a bad team and make them better than average. He doesn't really have a track record of making Super Bowl contenders. The 2nd round picks of Merling and Henne say to me that he's going to make us an above average but never great team ... just like his track record. Personally, that's not good enough in my book. When we rebuild, we rebuild towards winning it all, not just becoming competitive so we can have Wanny-like treadmill losses in the first round of the playoffs.

Personally, I'm not convinced that Henne is better than Beck, but whichever wins the starting job I'll certainly get behind.

Digital
04-26-2008, 09:25 PM

Henne is not big, he's not even an inch taller than Beck. He is stronger and has a stronger arm, but he's actually a very similar player to Beck. The only thing this pick say is that we do not have confidence in Beck, so much so that we'll waste another 2nd round pick on a QB. For goodness sake, make the 1st round QB pick or leave the iffy guys until the 2nd day. Henne would have been there in round 3.

1 dol fan
04-26-2008, 09:40 PM
I do not love this draft. None of the guys individually are bad picks, but I dislike the Merling and Henne picks. Jake Long was a great pick, I'm a big fan.

Merling over Groves? We ended up letting all of the top tier CB's slip away, we didn't add an impact pass rusher, and we still have another G/T to pick up for the offensive line. We haven't added any receiving targets (although we did pick up Fasano who is an OK receiving TE). All in all, we left holes that are going to be hard to fill with our 2nd day picks. IMHO, Henne would have been there at 64. Merling isn't a special player and despite what Mayock and others have said, he's not deserving of the 32nd pick. Except for Jake Long, it's looking like we overdrafted for need.

Parcells has shown numerous times that he can take a bad team and make them better than average. He doesn't really have a track record of making Super Bowl contenders. The 2nd round picks of Merling and Henne say to me that he's going to make us an above average but never great team ... just like his track record. Personally, that's not good enough in my book. When we rebuild, we rebuild towards winning it all, not just becoming competitive so we can have Wanny-like treadmill losses in the first round of the playoffs.

Personally, I'm not convinced that Henne is better than Beck, but whichever wins the starting job I'll certainly get behind.

You have to remember that Rome wasn't built in a day and this franchise won't be REbuilt in one season! I think that we filled some of the holes that we had to fill. We got a great LT in Jake Long, we got a good DE that fell from what he was projected in Merling. We got a TE in Fasono and (Inside?)LB in ayodel. I think that Chad Hene was a bit of a luxury pick but if BP liked him that much, i think it is safe to say he will be competitive.

You have to be competitive before you can be a champion! unless you have all the luck in the world (Cleveland). We have to take baby steps, we are not great, good or even average! we sucked the bag so badly, we almost lost the Baltimore game, however we have made many good moves to rebuild some of the principle positions such as the lines, lb's and a TE.

With love (to the Phins), 1 dol fan

Rebar71
04-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Some people are just never satisfied. This is the first time in the last decade that I have been excited about our day 1 picks. I always get excited for draft day, but this is the first time I am not left scratching my head saying WTF?

fishypete
04-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Not sure how Merling fit's....he's alittle small to play 3-4 de...so do the Dolphins play him at OLB?

Rebar71
04-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Not sure how Merling fit's....he's alittle small to play 3-4 de...so do the Dolphins play him at OLB?

Jeebus - how big do you expect a 3-4 DE to be?

fishypete
04-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Jeebus - how big do you expect a 3-4 DE to be?

I would say as big as the are in Dallas. He could turn out to be a steal...or a bust. He had one decent season and then he's injured...thats why he droped from being a top 15 pick to a second round pick. I guess we'll hope for the best.

Rebar71
04-26-2008, 10:18 PM
I would say as big as the are in Dallas. He could turn out to be a steal...or a bust. He had one decent season and then he's injured...thats why he droped from being a top 15 pick to a second round pick. I guess we'll hope for the best.

He had a sports hernia! BFD! Depending on where you look, his weight is 272-285. How big does he have to be? He can add 10# before training camp no problem.

MrEd
04-26-2008, 10:29 PM
I have no major problem with the Merling pick. He's a hustler, and a smart football player. However, if Taylor goes, this team has little pass rush. A disruptive outside LB is essential. Groves, please. PLEASE!?

how do you figure that? we have joey porter to replace him and reggie torbor to slide into joey porter's spot.

BlueFin
04-26-2008, 10:32 PM
oops, there goes one of those sexy picks.

fishypete
04-26-2008, 10:33 PM
He had a sports hernia! BFD! Depending on where you look, his weight is 272-285. How big does he have to be? He can add 10# before training camp no problem.

Actually it could be a big F... deal...re-injury of Sports Hernia's are common...and not all are fully cured by surgery.

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1998/01jan/batt.htm

Ronnie23Brown
04-26-2008, 11:14 PM
How big does he have to be? He can add 10# before training camp no problem.

Well to answer your question, Dallas' DE's all weigh in around 300 lbs. But if you look at Miami's roster, none of the projected DE's weigh 300. In fact, Merling is bigger than Roth and as big as Holliday. So it looks as if all of the Dolphin DE's are a little light in the butt.

Rebar71
04-26-2008, 11:45 PM
Well to answer your question, Dallas' DE's all weigh in around 300 lbs. But if you look at Miami's roster, none of the projected DE's weigh 300. In fact, Merling is bigger than Roth and as big as Holliday. So it looks as if all of the Dolphin DE's are a little light in the butt.

Actually, they range from 266-300.

Awsi Dooger
04-27-2008, 02:42 AM

Agreed, the loss of Groves is the one disappointment I had. But once he was gone I wanted Henne.

And I'm thrilled we dodged any temptation for Calais Campbell.

finfan54
04-27-2008, 02:48 AM

ur so right. jake is sexy to me. pancake those overpaid *******'s from the jets already! (PACE, Gholsten)

finfan54
04-27-2008, 02:57 AM
[QUOTE=Digital;1062471235]

Merling over Groves? We ended up letting all of the top tier CB's slip away, we didn't add an impact pass rusher,QUOTE]

You my friend are blind. Merling? What color is the sky in your world?:lol:

Dtronic
04-27-2008, 09:15 AM
The only thing this pick say is that we do not have confidence in Beck, so much so that we'll waste another 2nd round pick on a QB. For goodness sake, make the 1st round QB pick or leave the iffy guys until the 2nd day. Henne would have been there in round 3.

It's the opposite. If we didn't have confidence in Beck then we would have drafted Henne at 32. We drafted Henne because he was an outstanding value at 57. With questions about our QB situation, you'd be a fool not to have a backup to the most important position on any team.

FINMAN13
04-27-2008, 10:40 AM
If you think back to last season, the run was killing Miami EVERY game. Hell teams back-up's were hitting close to 5 yards a carry.

I understand why Miami is drafting the run stuffer. It fits the mold to the rest of the FA's we got on defense.

I trust BP picks more than my own. So with that said... I hope that Miami can once again be a beast vs. the run. I miss the days of teams thinking... How can we trick them and run the ball....lol.

I think Groves has a medical question mark...not a sport injury but a defect with his heart maybe. I hope he gets to play a full NFL career. But I would guess that is why Miami did not draft him...same with the other 31 teams.

Pinkboy
04-27-2008, 02:52 PM
The more picks we make, the more it is all making sense.

paskerbrandon
04-27-2008, 05:17 PM
I agree completley but even if we can stop the run teams with good WR's and a decent QB can throw on us all day.

We have noone besides Taylor who is amazing at rushing the passer and our secondary is one of the weakest in the league.

I just wish CB or S would have been addressed at some point.

jetsman
04-28-2008, 02:28 AM
ur so right. jake is sexy to me. pancake those overpaid *******'s from the jets already! (PACE, Gholsten)

The only one that got pancaked when Long and Gholston met in college was Jake Long.:lol::lol::lol:I can't wait to see them on opening day.Gholston gave Jake fits in college.He gave up two of his three collegiate sacks to Gholston.:hi5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yot9ClPvZDg

sceeto
04-28-2008, 06:33 AM

1st. Totally agree! I've been saying that for a while now, stopping the run was a HUGE weekness for us.

2nd. I was psyched about the Merling pick. He was a projected 1st. rounder. I had us taking Groves with that pick because I didn't think Merling would still be there. I wanted a good D player with that pick, but Merling would be better for his ability to stop the run and get some up front pressure, which was a huge problem. The opposing QB's we faced always had a huge pocket and tons of time, anyone could pick us apart like that. Our pressure rarely came from up the middle. Yes, he will really help with stopping the run and will be a solid part of our new foundation.:up:

3rd. This line is hilarious because i've been using that analogy for weeks now, it might seem simple, but it's so true and elementary. IMO!...same with the next line.:up:

4th. So true! It's so refreshing, isn't it? We obviously have more of a clear plan and are not rushing things with a lame patch work mentality. Good stuff, Mr. Greyboy!:up:

PMZQ
04-28-2008, 07:58 AM

He doesn't fit their plans. He can't play special teams so he is of little use in the offense they will play. That means he must go. :)

RonMexico7
04-28-2008, 08:13 AM
I think parcells is definitely moving us towards the current vikings way of playing - run first offence and stop the run. you can win games like that.

arsenal
04-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Some people are just never satisfied. This is the first time in the last decade that I have been excited about our day 1 picks. I always get excited for draft day, but this is the first time I am not left scratching my head saying WTF?

really? i personally liked last years day one better... but that doesn't matter, i like the attention we gave to the OL and DL, not sure about the 2 RBs sprinkled in, and Henne is a question mark to me... but i guess at 2B he was good value... and now we have 2 young guys competing and hopefully 1 of them is the franchise QB we've all been wanting