PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Bills Sign Milloy / So what are the Bills' cap #'s like NOW with Lawyer in?

-81- McMichael
09-03-2003, 05:35 PM
After hearing so much crap from Bills fans about how we're going to burn in "cap hell"... what's YOUR deal now?

Needless to say, I am NOT going over to a Bills board to ask (no need to - they're all already here!).

I'd say that the Bills defense is going to be the MOST INTERESTING and MOST WATCHED defense in the NFL for me. They have THAT MUCH to prove with all of their additions now OVER LAST YEAR.

Miami's D was ranked 3rd. Our issues revolve around folding in big games and on the road. Otherwise, there's less to look for... IMO. For the Bills, BIIIIIIG improvement should show up fast... or else you have to ask yourself, "What gives?"

I'm not sold on NE, people. Ted Washington? More like Mount Washington. And about as mobile, too.

Now, minus Lawyer... plus, 3-4 vs. 4-3? Sorry. Got to see it to believe it. To me, they're just trying to adjust to the fact they have no decent DL on the team.

bdwgroove
09-03-2003, 05:51 PM
Just heard on Hank's show on WQAM tha Milloy signed with the Bills. No terms announced yet. I will update if I hear more

Dolfan984
09-03-2003, 05:52 PM
I hate the Pats. Idiots.

FinFrenzy
09-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Yeah........but there goes the bills extra cap espn reports that the bills beat out the redskins.........you know they had to dish out the cash to compete with snyder..........

InMyChambers
09-03-2003, 05:57 PM
:(

jbond
09-03-2003, 05:57 PM
check out

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=202778&dsp=press

MDFINFAN
09-03-2003, 05:58 PM
Thank God the Bills O hasn't recieved a player in the league of Malloy..As long as they have that O, other teams with a D can still beat them..Actually the more I think about it. the team is at the same place they were before Malloy, just one position was upgraded since PS. Other than that, it's still a D that has to jell and that probably won't until the 2nd half of the season.

bdwgroove
09-03-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by FinFrenzy
Yeah........but there goes the bills extra cap espn reports that the bills beat out the redskins.........you know they had to dish out the cash to compete with snyder..........

Unless revenge played a bigger factor in Milloy's decision.

massfinfan
09-03-2003, 06:01 PM
all i heard for 2 days is the whinning and crying about the lawyer. recent report up hear is that the pats backfield will struggle.

FinFrenzy
09-03-2003, 06:03 PM
I don't know how to link but on espn it clearly states the bill's beat out the redskins offer.......:lol: he's all for the money

Wednesday, September 3, 2003

Will Milloy line up against Patriots on Sunday?
ESPN.com news services

A day after being cut unexpectedly by the New England Patriots, safety Lawyer Milloy has reached an agreement in principle with the Buffalo Bills.
The teams open the season against each other Sunday in Buffalo.
The Bills beat out the Redskins, who were the other team making a serious offer to the four-time Pro Bowl selection. The Bills had set Wednesday as a deadline day for getting a deal done with Milloy.
ESPN.com reported Tuesday afternoon that the Bills had made a contract offer and that by Tuesday night Milloy and his representatives were mulling offers from at least three franchises.
Beyond the Bills, the Redskins and New Orleans Saints made offers. It is believed Washington has offered a multi-year contract that would have paid Milloy about $5 million over the first two seasons. League sources said that the Saints had offered a three-year contract.
The Minnesota Vikings demonstrated early interest and then, when they saw where the market was headed, backed off later Tuesday. The New York Jets also made at least one exploratory phone call but it is believed their interest waned as well.

The Spaz
09-03-2003, 06:06 PM
There have been figures going around about 3 years 12.25 million dollars!:)

bdwgroove
09-03-2003, 06:11 PM
Now we know what we need to do to beat New England...THROW THE BALL!!!

imbondzz
09-03-2003, 06:31 PM
All I gotta say is :chuckle:

Justasportsfan
09-03-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN
Thank God the Bills O hasn't recieved a player in the league of Malloy..As long as they have that O, other teams with a D can still beat them..Actually the more I think about it. the team is at the same place they were before Malloy, just one position was upgraded since PS. Other than that, it's still a D that has to jell and that probably won't until the 2nd half of the season.

MD, the bucs won with D by beating the best O in the league. Our O should still be better than last years bucs. I'm not sying our D is better than the bucs. A D as dominant as the bucs can score. No need for the O to carry all the scoring.

Yeah........but there goes the bills extra cap espn reports that the bills beat out the redskins.........you know they had to dish out the cash to compete with snyder.......... .

I don't know how to link but on espn it clearly states the bill's beat out the redskins offer....... he's all for the money

No, the Deadskins offered more $$$ but he opted for Buffalo. He's getting what he was supposed to get from the Pats this year. The skins offered him 7 yr. deal with over 6 million signing bonus.

I'd say that the Bills defense is going to be the MOST INTERESTING and MOST WATCHED defense in the NFL for me. They have THAT MUCH to prove with all of their additions now OVER LAST YEAR.

Still not sold on our pass rush. Without that, our db's will suffer just like last year. The longer you give the qb to throw the harder it is for the db's and cb's.

Clumpy
09-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Bills cap sitaution is MUCH BRIGHTER than yours :lol:

Samphin
09-03-2003, 07:38 PM
Yeah, darn that not so bright salary cap situation that led to Miami to pass up such superstars and roleplayers such as , Seau, Knight, Buckley, Zgonina, Thompson and Griese. :lol: I;d hate to see what Spielman can do when not in "jail."

As far as Milloy goes. He is a nice pickup for the Bills, if for no other reason than to take a good player from the Patriots. I don't think he is going to be THE difference maker in the division though. I think the odd timing that came with releasing him and to a divisional rival to boot, had made for more hoopla than normal. He is going to help the Bills a lot in the next three years, however this initial splash he has garnered by swithing teams, I don't think is condusive to how much he will affect both the Bills and Patriots. I do think this will end up hurting the Patriots A LOT more than it helps the Bills.

I truly am mixed on this issue. On one hand you have the Patriots suffering, which is good. However on the other the Bills are gaining, so it kind of puts some rain on my sunshine. Geez, life is tough huh? :lol:

Justasportsfan
09-03-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by clumpedplatelet

that's mean, man. :lol:

TigerJ
09-03-2003, 10:04 PM
With all the buzz on Lawyer it's tough to keep all these threads straight. I posted a link (15th post) on the "Milloy" thread to a CNNSI article that gave salary figures for the Milloy contract. Here's that thread: http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=49

The Bills had something like 5.5 million in cap room for the 2003 season before signing Milloy. Under the new contact, Milloy has a base salary of 2 million and a signing bonus of 4.75 million prorated over 4 years. That gives Milloy a cap # of just under 3.2 million this year. It's much more cap friendly across the whole term of the contract than the contract he had with NE. BTW, Buffalo finally gets rid of all the dead cap dollars left over from the Butler era after the 2003 season. Buffalo is most emphatically not in cap trouble.

ohall
09-03-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by clumpedplatelet

Yeah that's the goal, to have a better cap situation. This is football, not a retirement fund!

The Dolphins have been a better team than the Bills, they are a better team than the Bills currently, and we'll see if the future will be the same way or not.

Oliver...

CirclingWagons
09-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Buffalo is in capheaven:cool:

ohall
09-03-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by CirclingWagons
Buffalo is in capheaven:cool:

I know and the Dolphins are in CAP JAIL. :D

Oliver...

CirclingWagons
09-03-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Oliver

I know and the Dolphins are in CAP JAIL. :D

Oliver... I didn't say that...you just don't have enough to sign an impact FA if the season doesnt go as planned again

RayFinkel
09-03-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Oliver

Yeah that's the goal, to have a better cap situation. This is football, not a retirement fund!

The Dolphins have been a better team than the Bills, they are a better team than the Bills currently, and we'll see if the future will be the same way or not.

Oliver...

Awfully funny you say that considering we SWEPT you last year.

XoPhinsoX
09-03-2003, 11:58 PM
Maybe Buffalo is starting to realize they need to spend a little bit of money to win ;). They don't have Spielman aka The Cap Wizard :tongue:

CirclingWagons
09-04-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by XoPhinsoX
Maybe Buffalo is starting to realize they need to spend a little bit of money to win ;). They don't have Spielman aka The Cap Wizard :tongue:
you're joking right...we have the Executive of the Year award locked down already.....TD has it in a runaway..look what he has done in his time here...first year: weed out the salary cap mess(and it was a big one that Butler left), second year: build an offense, third year: build a defense....he's the man.

unclemonty
09-04-2003, 05:38 AM
$15 million 4 years that was contract

zach13
09-04-2003, 07:56 AM
They overpaid for Milloy considering what was paid for safeties this offseason and Milloy's declining productivity.

XoPhinsoX
09-04-2003, 12:51 PM

you're joking right...we have the Executive of the Year award locked down already.....TD has it in a runaway..look what he has done in his time here...first year: weed out the salary cap mess(and it was a big one that Butler left), second year: build an offense, third year: build a defense....he's the man.

Fool...

Your O has declined and your D isn't even proven. You may have the right to say that at the end of the season, but surely not now.

I can't wait till Willis pick bites you in the ***. Maybe Milloy can produce this year as well.

CirclingWagons
09-04-2003, 12:53 PM

Fool...

Your O has declined and your D isn't even proven. You may have the right to say that at the end of the season, but surely not now.

I can't wait till Willis pick bites you in the ***. Maybe Milloy can produce this year as well.

Is that a frightened child I hear?...thought so:lol:

Justasportsfan
09-04-2003, 12:54 PM

Fool...

Let's see our D isn't proven and yet you can already tell that our O declined? Go back in the Dunce corner and sit beside Zachseau who's waiting for you.

TigerJ
09-04-2003, 01:16 PM
Without resorting to smack, justafan has a very valid point. Either you can make projections about what might happen to a team based on personnel or you can't. It is inconsistent to project Buffalo's offence will be less effective based on personnel changes and in the same sentence claim that it is invalid to project that there are likely to be improvements in the defence because of personnel changes

XoPhinsoX
09-04-2003, 01:49 PM

Is that a frightened child I hear?...thought so:lol:

Are you taking bong rips again? Where do you get this ****?

XoPhinsoX
09-04-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by justafan

Let's see our D isn't proven and yet you can already tell that our O declined? Go back in the Dunce corner and sit beside Zachseau who's waiting for you.

With the loss of Price I would imagine..so yes.

Your "awesome" #2 Reed is fighting for his job against Shaw, isn't he?

XoPhinsoX
09-04-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Without resorting to smack, justafan has a very valid point. Either you can make projections about what might happen to a team based on personnel or you can't. It is inconsistent to project Buffalo's offence will be less effective based on personnel changes and in the same sentence claim that it is invalid to project that there are likely to be improvements in the defence because of personnel changes

Thing is you guys brought in like 5 new guys. It takes time to learn the scheme, it takes time to gel, it just takes time, and sometimes it doesn't work. Now I must go back to sippin on mah bottle :friday:

Justasportsfan
09-04-2003, 02:18 PM

With the loss of Price I would imagine..so yes.

Your "awesome" #2 Reed is fighting for his job against Shaw, isn't he?

But you can tell that Spikes , Posey and Adams is unproven? :lol:

So tell me this, based on your logic, how does a team that cannot play away games, missed the playoffs go to no.3 in the AFC?

BTW, don't forget, they haven't proven anything. What makes you think your O is also improved? Derrius has proven squat and so has Chambers. The only thing proven on your O is your OL and RW and see how far that go you last year.

Let's see you Spin yourself out of that.

zach13
09-04-2003, 02:20 PM

So tell me this, based on your logic, how does a team that cannot play away games, missed the playoffs go to no.3 in the AFC?

BTW, don't forget, they haven't proven anything. What makes you think your O is also improved? Derrius has proven squat and so has Chambers. The only thing proven on your O is your OL and RW and see how far that go you last year.

But, by the same logic, why do you think you have improved by 2 to 3 games?

Justasportsfan
09-04-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by zachseau13

But, by the same logic, why do you think you have improved by 2 to 3 games?

We will sweep the jets. :D That was easy.

XoPhinsoX
09-04-2003, 02:23 PM

You got it. Give it a rest man..Adams ****ing isn't ****. You also know deep down if Jay hadn't of gotten hurt we would have clinched the division (its speculation, but not out of the question the way we wre playing) and not even had to worry about it for the most part. You know this as well as anyone else. Lucas played a big part in our downfall last year, and when Jay was rushed back in he just couldn't perform (he's no Mcnabb or Mcnair). CC proved his rookie year he does have the potential to be something special, and what I've seen out of DT in Washington for his limited playing time puts ease to my mind. IMO it takes a lot longer for a bunch of D players to get down the scheme and gel then it does 2 recievers who know Norvs offense.

You and CW are the experts at spinning **** around.

zach13
09-04-2003, 02:25 PM

We will sweep the jets. :D That was easy.

Why will you sweep the Jets?

They beat your *** last year and your additions are unproven.

By your logic you are still the last place team and a hypocrite for forecasting a 2-3 game improvement

TigerJ
09-04-2003, 02:31 PM
Sometimes it doesn't work. Sometimes it does. Except for Milloy, however, all these guys have been here for the entire training camp, and minicamps, and had the playbook long before that.

Last year, Buffalo made a huge change by bringing in Bledsoe, two new offensive linemen, including a rookie, and played four offensive linemen at new positions. The playbook was changed completely because Buffalo brought in a new OC Gilbride, and scrapped the west coast offence that hadn't worked the year before, yet Buffalo came out at the start of the year on fire on offence. The fact that they cooled down later in the season had nothing to do with the ability of new players and new system to integrate, and more to do with the fact that late season weather is more difficult for the deep passing game and defensive coordinators learned that Buffalo's offence was not capable of the consistency necessary to sustain long drives when the deep pass was taken away. That was Gilbride's shortcoming last year. He didn't anticipate that happening.

Conventional wisdom is that early in preseason defences are ahead of offences. The rationale for that is it takes more time to grasp the complexities of the offence and timing issues between players are more critical for the offence. In theory that would suggest it should be easier for defences to get new players integrated than for offences to do the same.

Among the newcomers in Buffalo's defence, all four starters, are seasoned veterans. They won't be dealing with rookie jitters and probably will have an easier time integrating than rookies would.

Justasportsfan
09-04-2003, 02:39 PM

Why will you sweep the Jets?

They beat your *** last year and your additions are unproven.

By your logic you are still the last place team and a hypocrite for forecasting a 2-3 game improvement

They lost Morton who beat us the first game and they lost Chad as well. :D Call me what you want. You've already expossed youself to be a homer and a biased finfan . Your credibilty is shot.

I just bet you and you keep avoiding the bet. I asked you to back-up your saying the fins are the best and instead you avoid it by calling me a hypocrite. :lol: Sorry Zach, we all know you post out of your a$$.

Read any ESPN articles, lately?

zach13
09-04-2003, 02:47 PM
Hypocrite Justa who claims that one player can not cost a team a game say this

"They lost Morton who beat us the first game""

Hypocrite Justa also says if you project your team to improve then you are a homer while he projects the Jills to go from consecutive last place finishes to 10-6 to 11-5

Get your stories straight pathetic jilly.

Still waiting for that defense of Winfield.......

Justasportsfan
09-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Hypocrite Justa who claims that one player can not cost a team a game say this

"They lost Morton who beat us the first game""

Hypocrite Justa also says if you project your team to improve then you are a homer while he projects the Jills to go from consecutive last place finishes to 10-6 to 11-5

Get your stories straight pathetic jilly.

Still waiting for that defense of Winfield.......

Whether you accept my defense on Winfield or not is not my problem. Defend your picking the fins as the no. 1. You never defended that before.

Take my bet. Will you accept my bet that the fins will not win the sb?

zach13
09-04-2003, 02:59 PM
You haven't offered a defense of Winfield

CirclingWagons
09-04-2003, 03:03 PM
we dont need to, the dolphins do it for us:lol:

Justasportsfan
09-04-2003, 03:08 PM

In other words "you will not accept the bet" Thought so. Outsmacked and proven to post out of his A$$ like always. :lol:

zach13
09-04-2003, 03:09 PM
No defense of Winfield...?

Justasportsfan
09-04-2003, 03:13 PM

Avoiding the bet I see. :lol: Can't back up yourself. figures :rolleyes:

zach13
09-04-2003, 03:14 PM
Can't back up your confidence in Winfield?

CirclingWagons
09-04-2003, 03:15 PM

Admin Edit: Attachment Deleted - NO Personal Attacks.

CirclingWagons
09-04-2003, 03:16 PM
Can't back up your confidence in Winfield?
backup your confidence in madison...and don't forget the 2 videos in the smack forum:roflmao:

zach13
09-04-2003, 03:19 PM
I didn't make any statement concerning Madison.

Your life partner Justa said that he is "confident" in Winfield.

Why, don't you ever read the threads before you post?

CirclingWagons
09-04-2003, 03:21 PM
I didn't make any statement concerning Madison.

Your life partner Justa said that he is "confident" in Winfield.

Why, don't you ever read the threads before you post?
why do you always set yourself up for a beating?...then disappear for two weeks and come back again?...lol, time to go hiding again..you're hopping back and forth between the afc east and smack forum and getting torn up in both:lol:

Justasportsfan
09-04-2003, 03:22 PM
It's useless CW. Zachseau is as confident as the French. Can't back up his big words. a proven homer for everyone to see. He chickened out and stuck his head up his a$$ again. As usual.

zach13
09-04-2003, 03:25 PM
What does this have to do with anything that is being posted on this thread?

Are you ever capable of contributing a reasoned argument concerning football?

Or, is it always unrelated, sophomoric, one-liners?

CirclingWagons
09-04-2003, 03:33 PM
What does this have to do with anything that is being posted on this thread?

Are you ever capable of contributing a reasoned argument concerning football?

Or, is it always unrelated, sophomoric, one-liners?
you are as biased as it gets..that's why you won't see us conversing in a reasoned argument with you...are you that dense not to see that?

zach13
09-04-2003, 03:48 PM
I have never seen you making a reasoned argument with anyone, nor have you ever added value to a single thread with your inane posts.

Post something about football.

Anything.

CirclingWagons
09-04-2003, 03:50 PM
I have never seen you making a reasoned argument with anyone, nor have you ever added value to a single thread with your inane posts.

Post something about football.

Anything.
oh yeah?...many dolfans on this forum would differ

CirclingWagons
09-04-2003, 03:51 PM
sorry if i'm not going around like a mindless zombie thinking the dolphins can do wrong:lol: