PDA

View Full Version : Merling, Langford will stop run, but who is getting to the QB?

Phin Phanatic
04-28-2008, 10:01 AM
I really like the picks of Merling and Langford. Merling is not a prototypical, 3-4 end, but has the versalitility to be a good player. It was an easy pick, as he's top 20 talent that fell into Parcells lap. He'll help against the run, but lacks the speed to get to the QB consistently.

Langford is a huge body that will end up being a great 3-4 end but also lacks the agility and speed to consistently get to the QB.

With Ferguson in the middle, The '08 Phins will be much more capable of stopping the run. However, I would like to know, who will get to the QB in passing situations. Despite not being traded, I'm not going to factor JT into the team, he could still be dealt before opening week. Joey Porter should be more productive season, and I think Crowder really could be huge on the outside, but won't he have to stay inside considering we no longer have Zach? Adoleye is a back up right?

If you factor in that besides Will Allen, we don't have another decent coverage corner, I have a feeling this defense will allow a ton of huge passing plays in '08...

Your thoughts????????

Digital
04-28-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm not as high on the picks of Merling and Langford to be honest ... I think we overdrafted them.

But in a 34 their job isn't to get after the pass rusher, it is to occupy blockers so that the OLB's can make all the big plays. So to answer your question, Jason Taylor and Joey Porter should both get a lot of sacks and pressures this year. IMHO, I'd rather have at least 1 young player being groomed to be a pass rusher when we're actually good enough to have it matter, and I don't think Quentin Moses is going to be the guy.

fishypete
04-28-2008, 10:11 AM
I think we'll have to wait to see who will play where...and who will play, for the Dolphins.

rev kev
04-28-2008, 10:18 AM
I think we have OLBs who are supposed to get to the QB no... If they can't get there we will picked apart...

JT, Porter, and this Abraham late draft project 2007...

CitizenSnips
04-28-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm not as high on the picks of Merling and Langford to be honest ... I think we overdrafted them.

But in a 34 their job isn't to get after the pass rusher, it is to occupy blockers so that the OLB's can make all the big plays. So to answer your question, Jason Taylor and Joey Porter should both get a lot of sacks and pressures this year. IMHO, I'd rather have at least 1 young player being groomed to be a pass rusher when we're actually good enough to have it matter, and I don't think Quentin Moses is going to be the guy.

Overdrafted Merling?! Langford sure, but Merling?

And to answer the original post, yeah its up to Porter and JT to get the sacks. Thats generally how 3-4s work. Usually if your DEs are leading the team in sacks in a 3-4, yor 3-4 isn't working.

Frank B
04-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Porter, Taylor, Wright, and Moses are your main pass rushers on the board right now. Torbor has shown the ability to blitz from the inside as well. I do see your point. Wright and Moses are still unproven.

I'm actually more worried about the fact that we have no depth at the ILB positions.

Danny
04-28-2008, 11:06 AM
keep on mind that stoping the run is the first step on getting to the QB....when you force the other team to trow then you have a better chance to get sacks...Porter should be a lot better this year....if JT does play for us then he should do ok too....I like Mosses on the outside and Abe Wright could contribute too....we can't get everything in 1 offseason so maybe we'll get a top OLB next year but we should have a much better defence this season no matter how you look at it.

Ozzy rules!!

FinFanatic80
04-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Overdrafted Merling?! Langford sure, but Merling?

And to answer the original post, yeah its up to Porter and JT to get the sacks. Thats generally how 3-4s work. Usually if your DEs are leading the team in sacks in a 3-4, yor 3-4 isn't working.

Agreed, Merling was slated to be a mid first rounder.

BlueFin
04-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Pittsburgh wanted Langford with their next pick, so he was not over drafted.

Merling was a top 15-20 prospect, so he was a steal.

Henne was a top 20-35 prospect, so he was value as well.

Boomer
04-28-2008, 11:35 AM
How can you overdraft a mid 1st round pick?

Merling will end up as a WOLB in the 3-4. Langford has Ty Warren type capability and again could have gone late 2nd.

BlueFin
04-28-2008, 11:39 AM

Merling will end up as a WOLB in the 3-4. Langford has Ty Warren type capability and again could have gone late 2nd.

As I said Pitt wanted Langford with their next pick.

Thanks again for the GURU chat Boom, it was awesome.

Boomer
04-28-2008, 11:40 AM
As I said Pitt wanted Langford with their next pick.

Thanks again for the GURU chat Boom, it was awesome.

They did indeed. Just as Cincy wanted Shawn Murphy.

My pleasure Matt. Only hope you enjoyed it.

BobGriese12
04-28-2008, 11:55 AM
How much information do you people know about the 3-4 defense? Ends in a 3-4 are not designed to get tons of sacks. There job is to take up blockers first, then get to the quarterback. If both Merling and Langford get 5 to 6 sacks. Thats doing a great job in a 3-4.

OLB such as Porter and Taylor will get the lions share of sacks, name a Steeler defensive end who got tons of sacks in the last 10-15 years?

MiamiDolphins34
04-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Hopefully we bring in de/lb Tommy Blake and Darrell Robertson

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=wYzDwAcO72k

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=-aaGORBbrDY

BigDogsHunt
04-28-2008, 12:20 PM
They did indeed. Just as Cincy wanted Shawn Murphy.

I have always wondered, how on draft day (or leading up to it) how do teams know or suspect guys in the later rounds and who is being targeted by other teams for these move up type trades?

Spies?

SamIam
04-28-2008, 12:29 PM
I have always wondered, how on draft day (or leading up to it) how do teams know or suspect guys in the later rounds and who is being targeted by other teams for these move up type trades?

Spies?

I have also heard that the Jets wanted to trade up for flacco, and that is why the ravens jumped back up to pick him.

nick1
04-28-2008, 12:34 PM
JT is as good as anybody at getting to the QB and it is clear now that he is staying for at least another year. we still have Joey Porter too who will undoubtably have a better year than last season

zach8111
04-28-2008, 01:17 PM
in a 3-4 defense it is the OLB job to do that most of the time

The Aqua Crush
04-28-2008, 01:41 PM
We had a much bigger need from last season with stopping the run, not getting to the qb's. With the possibility of JT coming back for at least one more season, I assume he will be the sack guy, along with crowder and porter.

Our problem was stopping the run. Teams just ran ran and ran some more on us, and getting the to qb was a moot point.

This draft seemed to address that need of stopping the run, depth and younger pass rushers i'm guessing will be addressed in the next drafts.

Myles Fynch
04-28-2008, 01:48 PM

Could ILB be a fall-back position for Merling if it doesn't work out for him at WOLB?

RichmondWeb
04-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Another component to this is fortifying the running game on offense so you can control the ball and keep the defense fresh and off the field. Also offensive control will keep the score close so you are not forcing the other team to throw all day. I like the strategy run, stop the run, and special teams which we have also upgraded personnel-wise both in the draft and most of our FA's so far are ST guys. Next year we can boost the passing game offensively and defensively. Maybe by then we'll have a starting QB.

RW

finner
04-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Could ILB be a fall-back position for Merling if it doesn't work out for him at WOLB?

I would doubt that. DE would be his spot IMO.

The Juggernaut
04-28-2008, 02:19 PM

SOLB should be his position. WOLB is the JT, Porter, Merriman, Ware type pass rushers/ playmakers. SOLB are guys like Ellis, Pace who are more like Merling. And remember we almost gave Calvin Pace $$20 million to play the position, so it's an area Parcells is trying to improve.

korl68
04-28-2008, 02:20 PM
This year was the OL and DL next year will be LB and DBs and a WR

MiamiDolphins34
04-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Is Roosevelt Colvin still out there? Hed be a good pick up.

BlueFin
04-28-2008, 03:08 PM
How much information do you people know about the 3-4 defense? Ends in a 3-4 are not designed to get tons of sacks. There job is to take up blockers first, then get to the quarterback. If both Merling and Langford get 5 to 6 sacks. Thats doing a great job in a 3-4.

OLB such as Porter and Taylor will get the lions share of sacks, name a Steeler defensive end who got tons of sacks in the last 10-15 years?

Merling projects to OLB, he ran in the 4.6's when healthy, he is exactly what they are looking for.

Langford is a DE.

Boomer
04-28-2008, 03:28 PM

Spies?

I think coaches talk, media guys get wind of things, etc. But also the player talks. You can pretty much guarantee 100% that Langford will have been on the phone to the Steelers and they would have told him he was going to be their next pick. There's a semi-strong rumour that Miami's actual target was John Greco at the start of day 2 and that they didn't think they'd lose him by slipping down. If that's true, that would also have likely come from Greco himself.

As for the Murphy trade, there had been a run on interior men; two guards and an OC. When that happens, teams tend to get a little antsy. Ireland did the right thing. Giving up a 7th is nothing to secure the target.

Boomer
04-28-2008, 03:29 PM

Unlikely. I think his future will be outside, but if it doesn't work, he clearly has the frame to support 290lbs and he could play end. He's similar to Justin Tuck.

uga3406
04-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Porter, Taylor, Wright, and Moses are your main pass rushers on the board right now. Torbor has shown the ability to blitz from the inside as well. I do see your point. Wright and Moses are still unproven.

I'm actually more worried about the fact that we have no depth at the ILB positions.

im more worried that michael lehan might be starting oppsote will allen as the other starting cb..the secondary looks awfull

Boomer
04-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Lehan is a decent player. He's also worked under Todd Bowles in Cleveland. I wouldn't worry about Lehan. Is he Leigh Bodden or Quentin Jammer or Ike Taylor? No. But Sparano said that the most surprising aspect from watching Miami's 16 game season was that the secondary was better than advertised, ESPECIALLY considering the losses we took at safety.

rev kev
04-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Lehan is a decent player. He's also worked under Todd Bowles in Cleveland. I wouldn't worry about Lehan. Is he Leigh Bodden or Quentin Jammer or Ike Taylor? No. But Sparano said that the most surprising aspect from watching Miami's 16 game season was that the secondary was better than advertised, ESPECIALLY considering the losses we took at safety.

Welcome back Boomer

Boomer
04-28-2008, 07:41 PM
I've never been away Kev

Phins28
04-28-2008, 08:41 PM

Interesting, I see him more at LOLB, because his ability to take on blockers. Boomer do you think he has the speed to play at what I call The Lawrence Taylor position?

MustangFinFan
04-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Merling, being the best run-stopping DE in the draft....i imagine he'd do just well at OLB, with an open hole to get thru to get to the QB or RB.

MrEd
04-28-2008, 09:12 PM
I really like the picks of Merling and Langford. Merling is not a prototypical, 3-4 end, but has the versalitility to be a good player. It was an easy pick, as he's top 20 talent that fell into Parcells lap. He'll help against the run, but lacks the speed to get to the QB consistently.

Langford is a huge body that will end up being a great 3-4 end but also lacks the agility and speed to consistently get to the QB.

With Ferguson in the middle, The '08 Phins will be much more capable of stopping the run. However, I would like to know, who will get to the QB in passing situations. Despite not being traded, I'm not going to factor JT into the team, he could still be dealt before opening week. Joey Porter should be more productive season, and I think Crowder really could be huge on the outside, but won't he have to stay inside considering we no longer have Zach? Adoleye is a back up right?

If you factor in that besides Will Allen, we don't have another decent coverage corner, I have a feeling this defense will allow a ton of huge passing plays in '08...

Your thoughts????????

The LBs. In a 3-4, the LBs are ur pass rushers and your DL is strictly for taking up blockers and stuffing the run mostly. any sacks from the DL is just a plus.

MrEd
04-28-2008, 09:18 PM

???? Really??? Hmm? I was all but 100% sure the point of drafting Merling was to start in place of Matt Roth at one of the DE spots, but you feel that he will replace JT? Wow. That's a surprise. Hmm.

RichmondWeb
04-28-2008, 11:53 PM
The new trend on defense is to give the offense multiple looks. In fact teams that use the 3-4 like Pit, NE, NYJ all seem to be incorporating 4-3 stuff to use situationally within a game or, depending on their opponents style, for the majority of the game. Tomlin is bringing his Tampa 4-3 style to Pit; NE has used 4-3 schemes all season and has the personnel to play it well. Just imagine being their opponent and you don't even know what their front will be till game day. Pretty scary.

Miami is a 4-3 team incorporating 3-4 stuff. I suspect we will follow suit and hang on to some of the 4-3 looks for certain situations. Why not pick a guy who can learn (few rookies are ready to play) to play OLB, and be capable at 4-3 DE and 3-4 DE? We also need depth to give the old guys like Porter and JT a blow, assuming they are healthy. I'm delighted to hear that Merling has LB ability, that would make him our Kiwanuka. And he gets to learn from guys like Taylor and Porter, two very different personalities. Wow!

If Merling becomes a second string LB/DE and makes his mark on special teams, truly, that is all we have the right to expect from him, or any rookie, this year. Anything else is bonus. Next year, he should be ready to rotate in as the need increases and maybe then, he will give us the flexibility to switch fronts or line up in different looks all along the front exploiting his strengths.

RW

rev kev
04-29-2008, 12:29 AM
I've never been away Kev

Sorry. . :unsure:

Awsi Dooger
04-29-2008, 04:35 AM
They may try Merling at WOLB but I think he'll end up at DE. Too hesitant in the plays I watched, when he was used in space, like he was thinking instead of reacting.

Boomer
04-29-2008, 08:58 AM
Interesting, I see him more at LOLB, because his ability to take on blockers. Boomer do you think he has the speed to play at what I call The Lawrence Taylor position?

I think so. I think that's where they see him in time.

Boomer
04-29-2008, 08:58 AM
Sorry. . :unsure:

No worries mate.

I've just been pre-draft and two kids busy!