PDA

View Full Version : Any lawyers on FinHeaven??

jonkruse
04-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Hey all,

I'm trying to find a list of contracts that a minor can make in the state of Florida. As far as I know, a minor can agree to any contract but contracts entered into by minors are generally voidable. Any lawyers(or anybody else) know if there is a "list" or anything of this nature that show which contracts a minor can enter into?

greatwade
04-29-2008, 05:04 PM
What do you intend to do with these minor contracts????

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

jonkruse
04-29-2008, 05:08 PM
What do you intend to do with these minor contracts????

If you MUST know..I intend to finish up the IRAC format essay I was required to write and turn it into my law professor...

idaho
04-29-2008, 05:19 PM
I don't know about Florida but the general law is a minor can be bound to a contract for "necessities" such as health care, food, and schooling for example. They cannot be bound for items that are not attached to the necessities of life say for a new car. As for a list I am unaware of any lists that exist. It is usually decieded on a case by case basis. The person wishing to bind the minor to the contract carries the burden of proof that the contract was for necessary items for the health and welfare of the minor. If that person fails to carry the burden then the contract is voidable as to the minor. That is the minor can choose to void the contract but the other party is bound by the contract. (assuming of course the other party is of the legal age)

jonkruse
04-29-2008, 05:25 PM
I don't know about Florida but the general law is a minor can be bound to a contract for "necessities" such as health care, food, and schooling for example. They cannot be bound for items that are not attached to the necessities of life say for a new car. As for a list I am unaware of any lists that exist. It is usually decieded on a case by case basis. The person wishing to bind the minor to the contract carries the burden of proof that the contract was for necessary items for the health and welfare of the minor. If that person fails to carry the burden then the contract is voidable as to the minor. That is the minor can choose to void the contract but the other party is bound by the contract. (assuming of course the other party is of the legal age)

:thanks: Thank you for your time!

idaho
04-29-2008, 05:54 PM
:thanks: Thank you for your time!
Glad to help