PDA

View Full Version : Activision/Vivendi Dicontinue ESA Membership...

Phinz420
05-04-2008, 02:29 PM
For those unaware, the Entertainment Software Association is the trade association of computer and video games. They are behind E3, as well as being basically the only source of defense that we gamers have against government regulation taking over our favorite hobbies.

There have been many politicians(both Republican and Democrat) over the years attempting to target the industry, and I don't know where we would be without the help of this trade association.

They are also the ones who created the Entertainment Software Ratings Board(ESRB), which IMO is credited for holding our politicians at bay over the past years.

What does this mean now that the world's largest publisher has pulled out from the ESA?

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/02/breaking-activision-and-vivendi-discontinue-esa-membership/

Dolfan32323
05-04-2008, 02:56 PM
:(

Medieval954
05-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Must be ashamed of a Treyarch developed Call of Duty 5.

As long as Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft have their conferences, I'm good.

FinsNCanes
05-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Ok..

So, no more E3? I read it and it didn't tell me much (skimmed rather).

Phinz420
05-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Ok..

So, no more E3? I read it and it didn't tell me much (skimmed rather).
No, E3 won't be a big deal at all. I honestly don't care much for it in the first place but even without Vivendi/Activision they will still continue on like usual.

My worries come from the fact that the world's largest game publisher is no longer part of the association that is the only barrier between gamers and politicians looking to put regulations on game content beyond what we have today.

The ESRB is the board that dictates the age brackets these games fall into, and some states actually use that as law for determining what games are illegal when sold to people under age. The ESRB is controlled by the ESA, so now basically you have Activision/Vivendi not being part of it. This could either have little effect or it possibly could lead to the future dismantling of the ESRB for all we know.

The scariest part about the political aspect is that it's not even so black/white as blaming the usual culprit for censorship problems with distributed media(Conservative Republicans)...some of the names to jump on board of the anti-gaming bandwagon over the years are Joeseph Lieberman(Veteran US Senator, Democrat/Independent) & Hillary Clinton(......).

One day there may not be a possibility for crappy games like Manhunt & Manhunt 2 to get all of the media attention they did(wait is that a bad thing or a good thing? :err:), due to strict government enforced policies dictating what is "socially acceptable".

FinsNCanes
05-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Socially acceptable, bleh. They might as well stop putting out movies, magazines, etc. There are things worse than video games. My buddy's girl actually had the nerve to say GTA promotes car jacking and shooting people in the face. I've been gaming for 20 years now and I've yet to kill anyone or go try and smash blocks with my head to see if coins will pop out.

SarahAnn
05-08-2008, 08:13 AM
Good, we all know what games big name companies are releasing. With them off the floor hopefully some smaller studios can get some spotlight, been trying to get mine in a conference for bout a year but no one wants Indy teams anymore. =(