PDA

View Full Version : Mark My Words...5 Bold Predictions About our Draftees

vinivedivichi
05-04-2008, 10:48 PM
1). Kendall Langford becomes a stalwart of our defense - the guy is perfectly suited to play end in a 3/4 defense. He's got rare size/athleticism and he is in the perfect situation to succeed. Make no mistake; Langford was targeted by the 3/4 teams and would not have been available in the fourth round. In fact, some thought that he would be drafted sometime in the second round. Great pick.

2). Phillip Merling will be a disappointment - Although we got good value by picking up Merling @ 32, it's already a mystery as to how he fits our defensive scheme. The guy has all kinds of ability, but can you pencil him in at DE in the 3/4 right now? I don't think so. Could he play OLB in a 3/4 right now? Again, probably not. Without projecting weight gain/loss, he was probably a better fit for a 3/4 team as a DE on 1st and 2nd downs and maybe a tackle on 3rd down. Can he be a good player for us? Of course, but he's going to have to work at it. If I had to predict a "bust," relative to draft position, this would be my pick.

3). Jalen Parmale becomes a valuable insurance policy - I think Dolfans are pretty much united behind Ronnie and Ricky. However, though both runners have been around and have had success, it would be naive to depend on both to be productive all year. Ronnie is coming off ACL surgery and history says it really takes 2 years to get the burst back. Ricky is Ricky. He is a positive test away from being out of the NFL, and how much can we depend on a guy that hasn't really played NFL football in 3 years? Parmale has pedigree, good size and good speed/quickness. He's a Marion Barber type that really fits well into a ball control offense. I really, really like this pick for our offense. I think we got a real steal here.

4). Jake Long is as advertised - A #1 overall pick can't really surprise...he really either plays as expected, or is worse than expected. I love Long's makeup. I'll take a huge, nimble linemen that probably is a top 5 run blocking tackle from day one any day. Will he "struggle" with speed rushers? It's possible, but this guy is athletic enough to be an elite LT. Once he gets his technique fine-tuned, this is a position we don't have to worry about for 10 years. His run blocking ability will be a huge plus for this offense - he and Smiley on the left will open up huge holes for our talented runners. Having Carey on the other side means that defenses have to stay honest and can't focus on just the left side. This was the only logical choice at #1, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a great pick.

5). Dotson and Hilliard are Practice Squaders - This is not necessarily an indictment of the players, it's more a numbers game. Hilliard wouldn't be our best short yardage RB (Ronnie and Ricky both are probably better) and he probably wouldn't be the best blocking FB due to his lack of size. He's got a chance to be our 4th RB/3rd FB, but it depends on how other positions pan out. Dotson probably needs to get bigger and stronger before he can be a player for us. Ferguson, Starks and Solail are probably better NT than Dotson at the moment, and depth all of a sudden is not a real concern on the DL. I think he gets stashed on the PS with hopes that he can get bigger and develop into rotational NT.

Thoughts? Feel free to make your own bold predictions.

AquaAdrenaline
05-04-2008, 11:36 PM
I would have to disagree with number 2 there on your list. I think Philip Merling is a beast, physical enough to dominate in the run game and quick enough to beat tackles off the edge. A poor man's Vernon Gholston if you will. I've heard of his injury woes at Clemson so that's the only thing that might slow him down.

CANDolphan
05-05-2008, 01:53 AM
I think Philip Merling will be on par with a guy like Calvin Pace, to be honest. He's not an outright speed rusher, but he's a damn good run stopper who can blitz if need be. We dont need Merling to be a speed OLB, we need him to be the strong side that stops the run and eats up blockers, which he will do.

Moses, Wright and Taylor are our pass rushers

TheBow305
05-05-2008, 01:58 AM
Seems like a pretty good assessment. I hope you're wrong about Merling though!

DownUnderFin13
05-05-2008, 02:15 AM
It's hard to say if Merling will be a bust or not remember a lot of scout's said that if it wasn't for the injury he could have been a top 10 pick.

CANDolphan
05-05-2008, 03:45 AM
It's hard to say if Merling will be a bust or not remember a lot of scout's said that if it wasn't for the injury he could have been a top 10 pick.

Kiper had Merling above Derrick Harvey on his list, which I completely disagreed with. Harvey not only is just as good as Merling at stopping the run, hes a better pass rusher.

There's a reason Miami was rumored to have been willing to jump up back into the first round is Harvey found himself available around 20

daninoz
05-05-2008, 04:31 AM
Merling's ultimate fate probably isn't going to be obvious until at least year 2.

I like Lex Hilliard, but I'm more and more curious about the pick the more I look at it. He doesn't have the speed to be a really effective running back. He's not really a prototype fullback. He loses out in the numbers game no matter how you look at it. What was the plan for this guy when they drafted him?

Lionel Dotson is going to be one of those guys that you only vaguely remember three years from now. Which is pretty par for the course for 7th rounders.

Slim
05-05-2008, 08:08 AM
I really hope you are wrong, but i can't help but shake the same feeling about Merling.

NCFINFAN13
05-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Merling will see field time. Although we're now a 3/4 team, we'll play some 4/3 mix as well. He'll be in there..........learning and developing.
Good assessment though.

vinivedivichi
05-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Just to clarify, I don't necessarily think Merling will be a bust, but he was drafted awfully high to require so much work to nail down a starting position. I like him as a player, but it's unclear how he fits our base 3/4 defense (as a starter) without going through a bit of a reformation.

He will be a valuable player for us, but unless he either gains some weight or loses some weight, it's hard to envision him starting as a 3 down player. But then again, the more I look at our D-Line depth, the more I think all of our linemen will essentially be role players.

Last, but certainly not least, I had to pick somebody to be a bust or the list would be no fun :)

rev kev
05-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Intelligent posting...

m i n o
05-05-2008, 11:25 AM
even if langsford becomes our next jeff zgoninia i'lll be happy with the pick. he should do well in a rotation and on certain downs. can't ask for much more for where we drafted him. as far as the others i am still scratching my head on taking 2 rb's late in the draft. we could do without lex who may have gone undrafted alot like the gaurd we moved up 2 spots to get. we needed another gaurd though so it made more since than picking lex.

Stoobz
05-05-2008, 07:40 PM
TEAL!?!?!?!!?!

It's friggin' AQUA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damnit man!

Sorry 8(

BARF
05-05-2008, 08:38 PM
merling and langford will be our next pair of studs. now i am not going to compare them to thomas and jt, but they will make some noise

#1dolphinsfan
05-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Merling is going to be very good in the NFL Mark My Word on that

mia4ever
05-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Just to clarify, I don't necessarily think Merling will be a bust, but he was drafted awfully high to require so much work to nail down a starting position. I like him as a player, but it's unclear how he fits our base 3/4 defense (as a starter) without going through a bit of a reformation.

He will be a valuable player for us, but unless he either gains some weight or loses some weight, it's hard to envision him starting as a 3 down player. But then again, the more I look at our D-Line depth, the more I think all of our linemen will essentially be role players.
Last, but certainly not least, I had to pick somebody to be a bust or the list would be no fun :)
i concur

Bill and our gm will continue to draft DL ,DE, OLB next season as well
until the Fins find that super star player

utahphinsfan
05-06-2008, 04:29 PM
It was stated by Al Groh that, in the NFL, Chris Long would fill the same role as Mike Vrabel.

Perhaps Tuna & co thought Merling was a fit to be the DE/OLB hybrid in S Fla.

Lee2000
05-06-2008, 04:43 PM
1). Kendall Langford becomes a stalwart of our defense - the guy is perfectly suited to play end in a 3/4 defense. He's got rare size/athleticism and he is in the perfect situation to succeed. Make no mistake; Langford was targeted by the 3/4 teams and would not have been available in the fourth round. In fact, some thought that he would be drafted sometime in the second round. Great pick.

2). Phillip Merling will be a disappointment - Although we got good value by picking up Merling @ 32, it's already a mystery as to how he fits our defensive scheme. The guy has all kinds of ability, but can you pencil him in at DE in the 3/4 right now? I don't think so. Could he play OLB in a 3/4 right now? Again, probably not. Without projecting weight gain/loss, he was probably a better fit for a 3/4 team as a DE on 1st and 2nd downs and maybe a tackle on 3rd down. Can he be a good player for us? Of course, but he's going to have to work at it. If I had to predict a "bust," relative to draft position, this would be my pick.

3). Jalen Parmale becomes a valuable insurance policy - I think Dolfans are pretty much united behind Ronnie and Ricky. However, though both runners have been around and have had success, it would be naive to depend on both to be productive all year. Ronnie is coming off ACL surgery and history says it really takes 2 years to get the burst back. Ricky is Ricky. He is a positive test away from being out of the NFL, and how much can we depend on a guy that hasn't really played NFL football in 3 years? Parmale has pedigree, good size and good speed/quickness. He's a Marion Barber type that really fits well into a ball control offense. I really, really like this pick for our offense. I think we got a real steal here.

4). Jake Long is as advertised - A #1 overall pick can't really surprise...he really either plays as expected, or is worse than expected. I love Long's makeup. I'll take a huge, nimble linemen that probably is a top 5 run blocking tackle from day one any day. Will he "struggle" with speed rushers? It's possible, but this guy is athletic enough to be an elite LT. Once he gets his technique fine-tuned, this is a position we don't have to worry about for 10 years. His run blocking ability will be a huge plus for this offense - he and Smiley on the left will open up huge holes for our talented runners. Having Carey on the other side means that defenses have to stay honest and can't focus on just the left side. This was the only logical choice at #1, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a great pick.

5). Dotson and Hilliard are Practice Squaders - This is not necessarily an indictment of the players, it's more a numbers game. Hilliard wouldn't be our best short yardage RB (Ronnie and Ricky both are probably better) and he probably wouldn't be the best blocking FB due to his lack of size. He's got a chance to be our 4th RB/3rd FB, but it depends on how other positions pan out. Dotson probably needs to get bigger and stronger before he can be a player for us. Ferguson, Starks and Solail are probably better NT than Dotson at the moment, and depth all of a sudden is not a real concern on the DL. I think he gets stashed on the PS with hopes that he can get bigger and develop into rotational NT.

I think Dotson will be a de in the 3-4. I know he was mentioned as a potential nt, but he was discussed as a de in the 3-4 now. IF he is half way decent I doubt he goes to the practice squad. I could see something happening to others before him. I don't think Merling is going to disappoint because they will find a decent way to use him. Tony himself said this in his intial interview. They will adapt to the strengths of the players on the team. Do I think they will go 3-4. Yes. But they will find a way for Merling to contribute. Otherwise, good predictions.

Lee2000 (remember, someone unexpected will always contribute year to year. Who will it be this year? ).

DevereauxWilson
05-06-2008, 05:16 PM
I think Merling will be a good player for us, I just think it will take a year before he contributes at his position. That being said, he would be an awesome start for any 4-3 team. I wish my Titans had picked him.

BlueFin
05-06-2008, 06:02 PM

The only bold prediction I see here is #2, and I disagree.

MiamiDolfan85
05-06-2008, 06:21 PM
even if langsford becomes our next jeff zgoninia i'lll be happy with the pick. he should do well in a rotation and on certain downs. can't ask for much more for where we drafted him. as far as the others i am still scratching my head on taking 2 rb's late in the draft. we could do without lex who may have gone undrafted alot like the gaurd we moved up 2 spots to get. we needed another gaurd though so it made more since than picking lex.

lol....Murphy was not going to get Undrafted.....lol,he would have been gone if not we moved up...thats the reason we moved up....

XXXSURTAINXXX
05-06-2008, 06:39 PM
My prediction:

Murphy, Long, Smiley, Satele and Carey will dominate opposing lines this year and the years to come. All RB's will look like all pros behind our line.

COMEBACKRICKY
05-06-2008, 06:43 PM
^^ Ill be so damn happy if thats how things turn out. It would be nice if we get surtain back too, I love that guy!

Myles Fynch
05-06-2008, 07:14 PM
I don't think Merling will be a bust, but it may be a while before he finds his natural position. I've seen people argue he's a DE and others argue he's an OLB. Both sides make a good case, but I could see him at ILB within 3 years, if not sooner. Good against the run, solid tackler. Not sure about his speed to get to the QB, or his coverage skills at OLB, so...

We'll be drafting more defensive help again next year, so wherever it looks like he'll stick we'll just plan around it. Parcells will figure it out.

PZ73
05-06-2008, 07:56 PM
I hope Merling is as good as you guys make him to be. I was really hoping we were going to get some DB's at that spot. After last years injuries, I thought we were pretty then there. That draft pick and the trading of Lorenzo Booker are the two biggest question marks so far this year.
Last year was releasing McMichael and picking up Martin?????:shakeno:

WaxOn WaxOff
05-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Clemson fan who has watched Merling closely here. Merling will not be a bust, no worries here. One Clemson fan posted earlier that he would take Merling over Gaines Adams, and I concur. I find it amusing that you pick Langford to be the star over Merling. Parcells didn't think that way or he would have drafted Langford first. I'll trust the GM on this one.

BobDole
05-07-2008, 10:03 AM
to make any sort of bold predictions about our draft you needed to include henne in there and what you think. that's the big one.

Myles Fynch
05-07-2008, 01:05 PM
to make any sort of bold predictions about our draft you needed to include henne in there and what you think. that's the big one.

True.

It hasn't gotten as much attention as I thought it would, but the fact that Beck & Henne have the same agent could play a large part in their future as it relates to playing in Miami.

Gardenhead
05-07-2008, 01:21 PM
True.

It hasn't gotten as much attention as I thought it would, but the fact that Beck & Henne have the same agent could play a large part in their future as it relates to playing in Miami.

I disagree about the agent issue. You've been reading too much profootballtalk. They'll both be locked into their rookie contracts for the next 3 years or so. The best player will see the field.

kpcane
05-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Merling will find the field, and find it early, don't worry about him. I'd hold back on the coronation of Kendall Langford though. He may be great, but didn't he play at Hampton? He has tangibles, but does he have what it takes to succeed at the pro level? He might, and I hope he does. But I'm much more worried about him than Merling.

PZ73
05-07-2008, 09:37 PM

I thought it was odd we picked Henne up. I think it was a value pick more than anything. I still thought we needed db help, but I can understand getting a good insurance pick for our most important position. I can sleep better now that if anything should happen to Beck, we'll have a good replacement.:wink:

finfan54
05-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Merling's ultimate fate probably isn't going to be obvious until at least year 2.

I like Lex Hilliard, but I'm more and more curious about the pick the more I look at it. He doesn't have the speed to be a really effective running back. He's not really a prototype fullback. He loses out in the numbers game no matter how you look at it. What was the plan for this guy when they drafted him?

Lionel Dotson is going to be one of those guys that you only vaguely remember three years from now. Which is pretty par for the course for 7th rounders.

Sparano hinted at FB. I think Maui's days are numbered. Hilliard will be given his shot at FB I believe and if he does well, he will probably start if his blocking is good.

finfan54
05-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Merling is going to have a slow start. Kind of like JT. But year two he will be looked to to take over JT's spot, who will be traded next year IMO. Merling has a double hernia deal. He will have some rust to shake off and get in 16 season game shape. But make no mistake, he will not be a bust. He will find his role then build on it. He goes through people with moves and strength. He is a DE. Make no mistake.

I also think we have not seen the last of the 4-3. I keep hearing they are not sure what defense they will run. We know it will be the 3-4, but I also think with JT still on the squad, we could switch from time to time to throw off OL.

Henne not mentioned here is puzzling. QB position is the most crucial position to a championship team. Henne could be a long term solution. Not fancy, but tough guy who wins. 4 year starter at Meeechigan. That has to count for something.

FinFanatic80
05-09-2008, 09:49 AM

1. I agree

2. I completely disagree. I feel that Phillip Merling will and should be an outstanding DE in our system. IMO he'll put on about 10 or 15 pounds this offseason to play at about 280 or so and baring any injurys be a solid contributor on our run defense this season.

3. I somewhat agree, he may not have the flashy name but should pay off to be a decent insurance policy.

4. I agree. It seems like Jake will be an outstanding run blocker in this league for a long time but could definitely work on his pass blocking. Overall should be a very solid player for a very long time.

5. I disagree. I feel Dotson and Hilliard both have good shots of making the roster IMO. I think there will be some others released before preseason starts (Holliday for example). Parcells wants his guys on this team and i dont think he would have selected all these guys without the intentions they would make the roster.

RocDolphan17
05-09-2008, 02:16 PM

I think the Hilliard pick was specifically at add a BP type running back for depth. With Ronnie's injury, Ricky "who knows what the hell he will do next" Williams and the trade of Booker, we leave some questions to be answered at the RB position. Now I love ronnie and ricky both, but until camp finishes, we really dont know exactly what to expect out of either of them. If soemthing were to happen Hilliard gives us depth as far as I can see it.