PDA

View Full Version : 360 or ps3

jared81
05-07-2008, 11:00 AM
looking to buy either the 360 or ps3, i already had a 360, but i sold it to my brother a year ago.........i know that this is a question where you can get a million answers depending on who you ask, so ill just tell you the kind of games i like to play.......i play madden, or any other sports games, and i like to play online, also some shooters. which system do you think im more cut out for?

CitizenSnips
05-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Movies: Advantage Ps3

Sports titles: Push

Shooters: Advantage 360

Online: *Advantage 360 (cept you gotta pay for it)

My advice would be 360, mainly cause you said you like to play online. The 360 has the best set up for it. The onyl real question is whether or not you are willing to pay for Xbox Live. Also, if you're a huge movie buff then theres an incentive to get the Ps3, but if not then I believe you should go 360. It's got tons of great shooters, maddens great on it, and something that never really gets brought up, I think the 360 has the best current controller on the market.

Miami 13
05-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Well if you already used to have a 360 then get a PS3 and try it. The online is great and it's free obviously. I have had no big problems with the online for it. Warhawk is the funnest multi-player online game I have ever played.

jared81
05-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Movies: Advantage Ps3

Sports titles: Push

Shooters: Advantage 360

Online: *Advantage 360 (cept you gotta pay for it)

My advice would be 360, mainly cause you said you like to play online. The 360 has the best set up for it. The onyl real question is whether or not you are willing to pay for Xbox Live. Also, if you're a huge movie buff then theres an incentive to get the Ps3, but if not then I believe you should go 360. It's got tons of great shooters, maddens great on it, and something that never really gets brought up, I think the 360 has the best current controller on the market.

thanks for the write up, i had xbox live and i dont mind paying for it, i like movies but not enough to incorporate my library with a video game console. about the controller: im surprised you like it so much, ive never been to fond of it, ive always liked sony's, that being said, i think ill stick to 360, thanks

Dolphin1184
05-07-2008, 01:53 PM
thanks for the write up, i had xbox live and i dont mind paying for it, i like movies but not enough to incorporate my library with a video game console. about the controller: im surprised you like it so much, ive never been to fond of it, ive always liked sony's, that being said, i think ill stick to 360, thanks

With the exception of the horrendus D-pad, the 360's controller is much better than the Sixaxis. The 360's controller fits to your hands better, and the trigger keys are at a better location. With the sixaxis your hands naturally go to the L1/R1 keys while with the 360 pad, your fingers naturally go to the RT/LT keys.

In terms of a gaming console, right now the 360 offers the better overall experience. Once Home and in game XMB come out for the ps3, the two services will be much closer to each other and easier to compare. The problem with Sony is that everything is always coming "soon". Therefore, if you are looking at a longterm gaming solution, maybe you should consider the PS3.

Also you have to look at games. If you like action/adventure games, you may like Uncharted: Drake's fortune. If you like sci-fi then you may like games like Gears of War. Each system has their own library. The ps3's library is going to get MUCH better by the end of the year. It is a matter of your preference of games. Also keep in mind that many games for the 360 are also coming out on the pc. So IF you have a gaming PC already then take that into consideration.

So basically, if you want the full gaming experience right now, go with the 360. If you are looking at the "future," go with PS3 (Although the 360 hasn't lost its thunder with rumors that it is going to come out with its own motion sensor controller and Blu-ray models).

I went the easy route and have both systems. :wink:

jared81
05-07-2008, 04:10 PM
With the exception of the horrendus D-pad, the 360's controller is much better than the Sixaxis. The 360's controller fits to your hands better, and the trigger keys are at a better location. With the sixaxis your hands naturally go to the L1/R1 keys while with the 360 pad, your fingers naturally go to the RT/LT keys.

In terms of a gaming console, right now the 360 offers the better overall experience. Once Home and in game XMB come out for the ps3, the two services will be much closer to each other and easier to compare. The problem with Sony is that everything is always coming "soon". Therefore, if you are looking at a longterm gaming solution, maybe you should consider the PS3.

Also you have to look at games. If you like action/adventure games, you may like Uncharted: Drake's fortune. If you like sci-fi then you may like games like Gears of War. Each system has their own library. The ps3's library is going to get MUCH better by the end of the year. It is a matter of your preference of games. Also keep in mind that many games for the 360 are also coming out on the pc. So IF you have a gaming PC already then take that into consideration.

So basically, if you want the full gaming experience right now, go with the 360. If you are looking at the "future," go with PS3 (Although the 360 hasn't lost its thunder with rumors that it is going to come out with its own motion sensor controller and Blu-ray models).

I went the easy route and have both systems. :wink:

do you see xbox 360 always have the upper hand on games like madden, and with xbox live???

CitizenSnips
05-07-2008, 04:15 PM
do you see xbox 360 always have the upper hand on games like madden, and with xbox live???

It certainly has the last two generations, but this year the game should be the same on both consoles.

07 the ps3 madden was late and in 08 it ran at 30 frames per second as opposed to 60 frames per second on the 360. It didn't make sense either year why PS3 owners were getting shafted but it's no surprise to me that PS3 owners dont like madden very much right now.

This year madden should be the same on both consoles.

Mr772
05-08-2008, 12:48 AM
It certainly has the last two generations, but this year the game should be the same on both consoles.

07 the ps3 madden was late and in 08 it ran at 30 frames per second as opposed to 60 frames per second on the 360. It didn't make sense either year why PS3 owners were getting shafted but it's no surprise to me that PS3 owners dont like madden very much right now.

This year madden should be the same on both consoles.

Since Peter Moore took over as EA's CEO (who used to be the head of the xbox division at Microsoft- rumor is he left because of the hardware failures) he has made it a point to shaft everyone with sub par products and services.

The 360 got the jump on sony in the market place and the PS3 has been playing catch-up ever after. I look for things to even up from here on in, unless the 360 adds the blu ray drive this year then they will keep their advantage.

Phinz420
05-08-2008, 02:16 AM
unless the 360 adds the blu ray drive this year then they will keep their advantage.

While I do think it would be a smart move by Microsoft to add the BR drive, I highly doubt it will be enough to counter the inevitable popular exclusives that Sony will have under it's belt in the near future.

Even with a BluRay add-on, the 360 still plays games on standard DVDs. It is not as if they all of the sudden can have a game made with the size & scale of a MGS4 just because they can then play BR movies. While the 360 doesn't really "need" games played on BluRay to be great, it still hinders some of the best reasons to have a BR drive for your console.

Also, MS is thriving mostly because of their major exclusives already being released & PS3's high price at launch(Thanks to BluRay :lol:).

Gears of War, Halo 3, and Mass Effect have helped Microsoft a ton in staying ahead of Sony and those are only their big dogs. To put it simply, Sony dropped the ball big-time by not having their exclusives out closer to their launch date. This is a short term problem though, and Sony will eventually get their muscle out there.

Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy 13, SOCOM, Haze(made by 007Goldeneye & Perfect Dark devs), Gran Turismo 5, Tekken 6, are all going to drive console sales largely due to the fact that it is obvious most of the diehard fans from those series have not bought a PS3 yet. When you then factor in some amazing free content in PS Home, I think the PS3 will be hard to hold down even with this rumored(but constantly denied by Microsoft) 360 BluRay drive.

Around this time a lot more people are going to come to the realization that it is a great idea to own both consoles. Hopefully come the next-generation of consoles, both companies will come out of the gates with some of their big titles.

muscle979
05-09-2008, 12:56 AM
It's simple, if you want your money's worth get a PS3. They will be making great games for this console long after everybody's 360s are sitting in the closet collecting dust. Just like the PS2 has done. Anybody still playing Xbox? I bet you know someone who still plays PS2 though. The same thing will happen with these consoles. Sony makes consoles that can hang around for the long haul. There are more than enough great games to play on PS3 that are out right now and plenty on the way. I haven't even got to blu-ray yet which looks so good it will make SD television hurt your eyes.

BARF
05-09-2008, 01:31 AM
get the 360 elite it is the best system

BARF
05-09-2008, 01:32 AM
then again i have both

Dolphin1184
05-09-2008, 01:57 AM
It's simple, if you want your money's worth get a PS3. They will be making great games for this console long after everybody's 360s are sitting in the closet collecting dust. Just like the PS2 has done. Anybody still playing Xbox? I bet you know someone who still plays PS2 though. The same thing will happen with these consoles. Sony makes consoles that can hang around for the long haul. There are more than enough great games to play on PS3 that are out right now and plenty on the way. I haven't even got to blu-ray yet which looks so good it will make SD television hurt your eyes.

Only problem with this argument is that the original XBOX did not have the install base that the XBOX 360 has... not even close. PS2 outsold XBOX big time. This is not the case this time. I doubt that XBOX 360 will rot away in anyones closet anytime soon.

Phin-o-rama
05-09-2008, 08:25 AM
its funny that most people that have both the 360 and ps3, still generally recommend the 360 to people...

arsenal
05-09-2008, 08:44 AM
i have a 360 (not ps3) but i had to do it all over again id get the ps3... mainly for the bluray... i love high def and i want a bluray player, wish i would have gotten a ps3 just for that... but i dont know much about the online experience with ps3, im sure once home comes out though it'll be much better...

besides that its mostly the same, there are a few console specific games that you'd have to decide which you'd want more... besides that i love both controllers, and most of the games are the same... ps3's hardware is supposedly more advanced so down the line you may be able to do more with ps3 games than xbox360s...

cant go wrong either way to be honest

CitizenSnips
05-09-2008, 09:36 AM

First off, as another said, the install base for the 360 is already larger than the ps3, and the fact that Sony is playing catch up is new to them. originally they were the ones who were ahead of the game.

Secondly, third party support is more even now then it ever was then. Companies like Square enix, Bioware, and Rockstar haven't put their support behind either system and thats because they aren't sure which is going to win between the two of them. (there's even rumors Kingdom Hearts 3 might be a Wii game) During the ps2 era, GTA, Kingdom Hearts, FF Tactics, etc etc, these were all Ps2 exclusives. Its not like that anymore.

And another thing, for a lot of people, the ps2 was the madden machine. I knew lots of friends who only had it for that reason. And the last two years, madden (admittedly because of EAs BS) has been better on the 360. It's helped sell the system im sure.

dabeastdabone
05-09-2008, 09:10 PM
its funny that most people that have both the 360 and ps3, still generally recommend the 360 to people...

I have both and it's not even a question, Get a PS3. You get free online and Blue Ray (which will save you about $350.00 min on buying one). Also the PS3 uses a SD card so you don't have to buy an extra card to swap files. PS3 has an internal wifi and connects up in a snap and also has an internal web browser.

The only negative thing about the ps3 I have found is you cant play music off you HD while playing a game (I've been told some games you can but I haven't found them yet...I could be doing something wrong?

Frankly the PS3 and 360 IMO are like apples and oranges, one (the PS3) has so many more features you cant compare the two.

As for game play I really can't tell any difference myself and the articles I have read about a certain game played on ps3 and 360 always seem to result in they play about the same, each has its good points and bad. I really have no preferance in controller either, I had a regular x-box and ps2 foe years before so they both feel right at home to me.

BARF
05-14-2008, 02:17 AM
looking to buy either the 360 or ps3, i already had a 360, but i sold it to my brother a year ago.........i know that this is a question where you can get a million answers depending on who you ask, so ill just tell you the kind of games i like to play.......i play madden, or any other sports games, and i like to play online, also some shooters. which system do you think im more cut out for?

if u like shooters the 360 is def. the one i have both and have more games for the 360. but get the 360 elite way better than any 360 plays alot smoother

phinmania
05-19-2008, 04:33 PM
the 360 elite it is the best system

#1 Fan
05-19-2008, 04:47 PM
the 360 elite it is the best system

what makes it the best? (only because i'm considering buying an elite in about 1 1/2 months)

Nappy Roots
05-19-2008, 05:49 PM
I have both and it's not even a question, Get a PS3. You get free online and Blue Ray (which will save you about $350.00 min on buying one). Also the PS3 uses a SD card so you don't have to buy an extra card to swap files. PS3 has an internal wifi and connects up in a snap and also has an internal web browser.

The only negative thing about the ps3 I have found is you cant play music off you HD while playing a game (I've been told some games you can but I haven't found them yet...I could be doing something wrong?

Frankly the PS3 and 360 IMO are like apples and oranges, one (the PS3) has so many more features you cant compare the two.

As for game play I really can't tell any difference myself and the articles I have read about a certain game played on ps3 and 360 always seem to result in they play about the same, each has its good points and bad. I really have no preferance in controller either, I had a regular x-box and ps2 foe years before so they both feel right at home to me.

agreed 100%. i had the 360 now have the ps3. definitely recommend the ps3 much much more. does suck that you cant play music while playing a game. used to do that all the time playing maddon.

muscle979
05-23-2008, 10:20 AM
First off, as another said, the install base for the 360 is already larger than the ps3, and the fact that Sony is playing catch up is new to them. originally they were the ones who were ahead of the game.

Secondly, third party support is more even now then it ever was then. Companies like Square enix, Bioware, and Rockstar haven't put their support behind either system and thats because they aren't sure which is going to win between the two of them. (there's even rumors Kingdom Hearts 3 might be a Wii game) During the ps2 era, GTA, Kingdom Hearts, FF Tactics, etc etc, these were all Ps2 exclusives. Its not like that anymore.

And another thing, for a lot of people, the ps2 was the madden machine. I knew lots of friends who only had it for that reason. And the last two years, madden (admittedly because of EAs BS) has been better on the 360. It's helped sell the system im sure.

That's all fine but none of that changes which one is the better product and gives you more bang for your buck. The issue used to be that there were no good games to buy for PS3. A non issue now. It used to be that nobody knew for sure that blu-ray would catch on. Well it's won and it's everywhere now. It's just a better value, you can't even buy an xbox 360 elite for only 400 dollars. I won't even get into how much more reliable the hardware is.