PDA

View Full Version : Man Charged In Alleged Tulane Hazing Stunt

BAMAPHIN 22
05-07-2008, 11:01 AM
A Massachusetts man is one of five students arrested and charged in an alleged hazing incident at Tulane University in New Orleans that left two pledges with severe burns.

Nicholas Maddern of South Hamilton and several other men from the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity have been charged with second-degree battery in the April 25 incident.

Sources tell WWL-TV in Louisiana the men are accused of pouring boiling water on the pledges.

An attorney representing one of the victims said at least 10 pledges were burned with a mixture of boiling hot crab boil and pepper spray.

"He was in shock when it happened," said attorney Frank D'Amico. "They took him to the hospital and told him to fabricate a story of how he got burned."

According to police, two of the pledges were treated for severe burns.

http://wbztv.com/local/tulane.fraternity.hazing.2.717625.html

SpurzN703
05-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Frats suck

Vertical Limit
05-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Frats suck
Agreed. It's so stupid and pointless; this really is middle school type of crap to me. I just can't imagine, grown men by age, acting so retarded.

Not sure how it's "fun" to do these things.

WISfinfan13
05-07-2008, 12:44 PM
I was thinking about joining a frat right when I first started college, but than the bullsheet started. And it did seem like immaturity to me.

Coral Reefer
05-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Frats suck

My experience in a frat during school was all positive.
In fact it was the absolute best time in my entire life hands down.

Then again I didn't have any idiot try and pour boiling water on me.

It usually comes down to a few idiots within the group that come up with some stupid idea in a drunken stupor that gets these organizations in trouble.

I never saw one of them that actually practiced this type of stuff officially.

Bumpus
05-07-2008, 03:23 PM

It usually comes down to a few idiots within the group that come up with some stupid idea in a drunken stupor that gets these organizations in trouble.

I've gotta agree with you completely on that one.:up:

Fun, fun, and more fun (read: sorority girls):d-day:

dolfan2334
05-07-2008, 03:37 PM
no thanks i dont need to pay for my friends

fins1
05-07-2008, 04:19 PM
no thanks i dont need to pay for my friends
I was a DTD in college and it was one of the best experiences in my life. I also don't get your comment , unless you plan on going to college without making any friends or are somehow confusing a frat with a whorehouse. Not all frats are the same.

dolfan2334
05-07-2008, 06:58 PM
you pay to be in a frat and be friends with the kids who are in it. thats paying for your friends and i dont see a need for me to do that.

nor do i know what a DTD is. also sorry if i offended you b/c im sure your frats days are a far and distant memory that you refer to as your 'glory days'

fins1
05-07-2008, 10:21 PM
you pay to be in a frat and be friends with the kids who are in it. thats paying for your friends and i dont see a need for me to do that.

nor do i know what a DTD is. also sorry if i offended you b/c im sure your frats days are a far and distant memory that you refer to as your 'glory days'
No offense taken Bro. Sure you pay to be in a frat just like you pay to be in the dorms just like you pay to live in an apartment. But I had friends from everywhere, its not a cult. And yes my frat days are a distant memory a great one at that. (did'nt refer to them as my glory days) But the friendships I made there are still going strong. DTD = Delta Tau Delta. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Coral Reefer
05-07-2008, 11:34 PM

That's such a false premise that people love to throw out there.

ANY group of people that get together to form a club or even simply to do an activity PAY money to do so.

Any club needs to fund their activities.
Many of us have decided to pay money to support this very site.
Am I doing so to "pay for friends"? Silly.

Ever had a party where everyone pitched in to get that keg and supplies?
Are you "paying for friends"?

We all pay taxes as a group of Americans.
Do you find it below yourself to "pay for a country" as well?

Have a family?
Fund that family at all?
Not me, I don't feel the need to pay for family. :lol:

phinpunk14
05-08-2008, 01:15 AM

You have to realize your age when you say things like this. Its been several years since you went through the process and things have changed since then. One of my roommates went through the pledging process while we lived together and this stuff definitely does go on.

While I was still in school at UK, some pledges were walking down the road. A guy spotted them and ordered them into the back of their truck, saying he was one of their fraternity brothers. The pledges did it out of fear of getting into trouble with the frat. The guy took them to his basement, ordered them to strip, tied them up, and fondled them. All of this b/c they were willing to do anything they were told in order to be a member of a group.

Edit: it seems I did remember this story a little wrong (it has been almost 5 years since then) and it was actually much worse than I explained and it happened on multiple occasions. Here's a link to how it all happened.

http://media.www.kykernel.com/media/storage/paper305/news/2003/12/12/News/Man-Sentenced.For.Abusing.Frat.Pledges-686752.shtml

phinpunk14
05-08-2008, 01:21 AM
Here's another one for you involving making sweet love to a goat.

http://media.www.wkuherald.com/media/storage/paper603/news/2006/05/09/News/Goat-Incident.Shocks.Campus-1983862.shtml

SpurzN703
05-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Agreed. It's so stupid and pointless; this really is middle school type of crap to me. I just can't imagine, grown men by age, acting so retarded.

Not sure how it's "fun" to do these things.

'Old School' was friggin awesome but that was a movie. These dudes are bullies who don't get laid so they take it out on idiots who want to be like them

SpurzN703
05-08-2008, 11:00 AM

Sorry for the generalization man. I don't presume to know all there is to about frats. Some frats are probably cool as hell whereas the rest are the ones who do **** like this

dolfan2334
05-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Sorry for the generalization man. I don't presume to know all there is to about frats. Some frats are probably cool as hell whereas the rest are the ones who do **** like this

Agreed. but i'd sure as hell like to join the frat in 'Old School' as well.

:lol: great movie

PhinFan0202
05-08-2008, 11:59 PM
A Massachusetts man is one of five students arrested and charged in an alleged hazing incident at Tulane University in New Orleans that left two pledges with severe burns.

Nicholas Maddern of South Hamilton and several other men from the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity have been charged with second-degree battery in the April 25 incident.

Sources tell WWL-TV in Louisiana the men are accused of pouring boiling water on the pledges.

According to police, two of the pledges were treated for severe burns.

http://wbztv.com/local/tulane.fraternity.hazing.2.717625.html

I'm not surprised at all considering what frat it was. At FSU Pi Kappa Alphia a.k.a Pike from what i've seen herd would do something like that so it dosen't surprise me in the least bit, it's the same thing with Sig Ep who just got kicked off campus for like 7 years for doing the same sort of thing. Not saying all people in Pike or Sig Ep are like that but most of the guys i met that are in Pike are racist mother****ers. My Take on Frats are they are good for networking and things of that nature and they also do alot to give back to the communtiy, not to mention all the hot *** one could get just by being in a frat. At the same time though there's just something about Frats in general that make me not want to join them namely crap like i had stated above.

SpurzN703
05-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Agreed. but i'd sure as hell like to join the frat in 'Old School' as well.

:lol: great movie

I wouldn't be too thrilled with tying a cinderblock to my junk though :lol: