PDA

View Full Version : New engine can run on bio-fuel and fit into existing designs

Miamian
05-12-2008, 02:52 PM
http://web.israel21c.net/bin/en.jsp?enDispWho=Articles^l2098&enPage=BlankPage&enDisplay=view&enDispWhat=object&enVersion=0&enZone=Technology&

With a prototype to prove its concept, Rom says that the RotoRom engine can be fitted into vehicles over the 170 horsepower range, making them more efficient and less polluting. Other applications are in small power plants, in trucks, work tools and yachts.

While the gas turbine engine used today is efficient and effective, its high price and technical limitations block it from entering different markets, explains Rom. The RotoRom engine, however, combines the best of two engines, while avoiding the downfalls.

In the Rotorom engine, fuel burns inside a sealed chamber, which has the ability to expand. Rather than pushing on a piston, the chamber expands while rotating, and this movement creates power. Remaining pressure can be released via a turbine, which then powers a compressor.

Dolphan7
05-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Fascinating what we can come up with when we put our collective minds to the task.

Tetragrammaton
05-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Countdown until the automobile companies buy up the patent and bury it.

Miamian
05-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Countdown until the automobile companies buy up the patent and bury it.
That would mean that it couldn't be manufactured in the US, but it wasn't developed by an American company.

Tetragrammaton
05-16-2008, 12:29 AM
That would mean that it couldn't be manufactured in the US, but it wasn't developed by an American company.

I meant to say that they would buy the prototype from him and effectively take away his right to make more (I don't know the technical term.)

I probably didn't use the best example, but I worry that automobile companies simply won't use it. If it is cheaper for consumers, big oil loses. And since the two are in bed with one another, what is the benefit to them?

Of course, I am a cynic. I also think that is why we have so many different types of medicine that stop the symptoms but don't cure the disease.

Miamian
05-16-2008, 02:23 AM
I meant to say that they would buy the prototype from him and effectively take away his right to make more (I don't know the technical term.)

I probably didn't use the best example, but I worry that automobile companies simply won't use it. If it is cheaper for consumers, big oil loses. And since the two are in bed with one another, what is the benefit to them?

Of course, I am a cynic. I also think that is why we have so many different types of medicine that stop the symptoms but don't cure the disease.
That still only applies to the US. They can manufacture the engine by itself in Israel and sell it to Europe and Japan. Since the US imports cars, a green car like that may become very popular, especially if the difference in price is marginal.