PDA

View Full Version : PTI's Kornheiser & Wilbon go off on FSU Baseball Coach Mike Martin over Buster Posey

PMZQ
05-13-2008, 08:41 PM
As a Hurricane alum, I really loved this rant by the PTI guys :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPbPn_l2c_Q

Dolfan32323
05-13-2008, 09:24 PM
I agree with them. yeah, it's impressive he did that but it was against savannah fricken state.

spydertl79
05-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Posey is leading the ACC in HR, RBI, and BA. He is possibly the best defensive player in the conference at any position in addition to having a 3.9 gpa as a finance major. Mike Martin did this for Buster's benefit, it generates press coverage and makes Posey more valuable when the draft rolls around.
I can see them getting mad when he did it for his own kid, but here he's just trying to help out one of his players by showing how versatile he is.

PMZQ
05-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Posey is leading the ACC in HR, RBI, and BA. He is possibly the best defensive player in the conference at any position in addition to having a 3.9 gpa as a finance major. Mike Martin did this for Buster's benefit, it generates press coverage and makes Posey more valuable when the draft rolls around.
I can see them getting mad when he did it for his own kid, but here he's just trying to help out one of his players by showing how versatile he is.

Bull effing crap ! :shakeno:

Draft ? What you don't think the scouts and teams are already aware of his abilities ? Besides I would like to compare his stats without being padded on the Savannah St's of the world (which FSWho loads up on every year). This is a typical Mike Martin stunt, and thank God people see through it.

Also that halo you put around Posey's head is a little tarnished too. He could have told the coach "NO, my ego doesn't need to be fed like this, its enough to pound little Savannah St into the ground, but to insult their players by stopping the game so I can move around to different positions, is too much for even my inflated ego coach." (remember this game was 7 innings and he played 9 positions) He could have said no, but he went along with it. I'm surprised his head fit into his cap after the game. :lol:

Great show of sportsmanship by Martin and Posey :rolleyes2: Beat a hapless team into submission and then add insult by stopping the game and showcasing Posey. Would have served him right to have had a career ending injury. :up:

spydertl79
05-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Bull effing crap ! :shakeno:

Draft ? What you don't think the scouts and teams are already aware of his abilities ? Besides I would like to compare his stats without being padded on the Savannah St's of the world (which FSWho loads up on every year). This is a typical Mike Martin stunt, and thank God people see through it.

Also that halo you put around Posey's head is a little tarnished too. He could have told the coach "NO, my ego doesn't need to be fed like this, its enough to pound little Savannah St into the ground, but to insult their players by stopping the game so I can move around to different positions, is too much for even my inflated ego coach." (remember this game was 7 innings and he played 9 positions) He could have said no, but he went along with it. I'm surprised his head fit into his cap after the game. :lol:

Great show of sportsmanship by Martin and Posey :rolleyes2: Beat a hapless team into submission and then add insult by stopping the game and showcasing Posey. Would have served him right to have had a career ending injury. :up:
You are a terrible person for wishing injury on a college athlete. As for defying your manager- that is almost never the right thing to do.
He was leading the ACC in all of those categories BEFORE this series anyway, shows how much you know. You have the class of a Miami fan, I can just assume that you cheer for them.

Dolfan32323
05-14-2008, 04:09 PM
You are a terrible person for wishing injury on a college athlete. As for defying your manager- that is almost never the right thing to do.
He was leading the ACC in all of those categories BEFORE this series anyway, shows how much you know. You have the class of a Miami fan, I can just assume that you cheer for them.Canes fan aside, it was a poor showing of sportsmanship. Period.

spydertl79
05-14-2008, 06:27 PM
Canes fan aside, it was a poor showing of sportsmanship. Period.
I can see that argument but I haven't heard anyone complaining about it except a few canes fans. Hows that 3pm curfew working out for you guys?

PMZQ
05-14-2008, 07:42 PM
I can see that argument but I haven't heard anyone complaining about it except a few canes fans. Hows that 3pm curfew working out for you guys?

Huh ? That rant was on ESPN, by Kornheiser & Wilbon, who are not exactly Miami fans. So again, a whiny FSU fan just can't stand the heat. Poor sportsmanship by MM, but its just what is to be expected from that dirtbag.

And I guess you don't know Miami wanted the game to start at 11am, and MM refused and set it for 12:30pm. Could have started earlier but YOUR coach said no. No one's fault but The Lord of No Rings :sidelol:

PMZQ
05-14-2008, 07:45 PM
He was leading the ACC in all of those categories BEFORE this series anyway, shows how much you know. You have the class of a Miami fan, I can just assume that you cheer for them.

Leading the ACC, but against ACC opponents or for the season ? Hmmmm, padding stats against Savannah St, and the other sad sacks that Martin puts on your schedule is just a disservice to your Semi-whole players.

How many players in MLB playing right now went to FSU ? I know that Miami can claim a number of them.

Nappy Roots
05-14-2008, 08:05 PM
agreed, it was stupid and classless.

but how can YOU call anyone a dirtbag or classless when you wish a career ending injury to a 21 year old because he didnt tell his coach 'no'

smh@u

spydertl79
05-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Leading the ACC, but against ACC opponents or for the season ? Hmmmm, padding stats against Savannah St, and the other sad sacks that Martin puts on your schedule is just a disservice to your Semi-whole players.

How many players in MLB playing right now went to FSU ? I know that Miami can claim a number of them.
Probably both. Our schedule is no easier than Miami's or UNC's, Posey is simply the BEST player in college baseball. Because of Mike Martin's "stunt," now a lot more people know who Buster Posey is. Any college baseball fan should be happy that anything related to the sport got coverage on a major sports network.
Martin didn't want to start the game early so that he could go to church with his family, I'm glad that you conveniently left out the reason for his decision.
I can't believe I'm arguing with someone who wished injury upon a 21 year old who is not only a great athlete, but also a great person with a nice family. Your comment is the most revolting post I have ever seen on this board.

spydertl79
05-14-2008, 09:48 PM
MLB players off the top of my head:
Matt Diaz
Stephen Drew
JD Drew
Doug Mientkiewicz

Not very impressive considering that we've won more games than any team in college baseball in the last 13 years I'll admit. I'm glad none of them got injured while they played here... even though it would obviously make you happy.

PMZQ
05-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Probably both. Our schedule is no easier than Miami's or UNC's, Posey is simply the BEST player in college baseball. Because of Mike Martin's "stunt," now a lot more people know who Buster Posey is. Any college baseball fan should be happy that anything related to the sport got coverage on a major sports network.
Martin didn't want to start the game early so that he could go to church with his family, I'm glad that you conveniently left out the reason for his decision.
I can't believe I'm arguing with someone who wished injury upon a 21 year old who is not only a great athlete, but also a great person with a nice family. Your comment is the most revolting post I have ever seen on this board.

I didn't wish him an injury, but said it would have served him right, if he had gotten one. There is a big difference there, but trying to explain that might be like talking to a brick wall. :rolleyes:

Posey is not a nice guy, but has an over inflated ego, and not a team player. That whole stunt was about HIM, not his team, and it was to show up a team of lesser talent players. Rubbing it in, that he is better. Not very good sportsmanship & not very Christian IMO.

Doesn't matter what excuse you use, it was Martin's decision to start the game later, so you come off as whiny little turds if you cry about it afterwards. You should have won the game in the early innings. (And I don't believe the "church" story.....nice try, but I ain't buying it). And if Martin is a church goer, he has the worst foul mouth I have seen in a while from a "Christian". About 4 years ago he got into a shouting match with fans at Mark Light in Coral Gables, and I saw people covering their ears from all the profanity that came out of his mouth. He was even fined by his AD once he got back to Trailerhassee, it was so awful. He set such a wonderful example for his student-athletes :rolleyes2: He's such a nice "Christian" man :sidelol:

PMZQ
05-14-2008, 10:33 PM
MLB players off the top of my head:
Matt Diaz
Stephen Drew
JD Drew
Doug Mientkiewicz

Not very impressive considering that we've won more games than any team in college baseball in the last 13 years I'll admit. I'm glad none of them got injured while they played here... even though it would obviously make you happy.

And pray-tell what did all those wins get you ? Been to Omaha lately ? :lol: I guess you have to take pride in scheduling the Savannah St's of the world and racking up the wins. But the soft scheduling always does FSU in, and they swoon come tournament time.....year after year.

Miami has sent in the last 30 years to MLB :

Jason Michaels
Pat Burrell
Orlando Palmiero (won World Series with Angels, and played in another World Series with Houston)
Alex Fernandez (won World Series with the Marlins)
Aubrey Huff
Ryan Braun (Rookie of the Year 2007)
Charles Johnson (won World Series with the Marlins)
Dave Berg
FP Santangelo
Alex Cora
Neal Heaton
Charlton Jimerson
Brian Barton (rookie w/St Louis Cardinals 2008)
Danny Graves
Mike Pagliarulo
Nelson Santovenia
Jay Tessemer
Mike Piazza (at Miami in 1986 only, transfered to Miami-Dade North Community College)

By the way, signed to letters of intent, but signed contracts with the big leagues before coming to Miami

Chipper Jones
Mike Hampton
Rick Ankiel
Alex Rodriguez

I'll put Miami's list up against FSWho's anytime, anyplace.....as well as our 4 rings. :up:

spydertl79
05-14-2008, 11:31 PM
Buster Posey is a very nice guy and a team player, I think that I would know a little more about his personality than you. He did what his coach told him to and if you want to be technical it helped the team. He had a 1.000 fielding % and struck out both batters he faced on the mound. All of the other starters were on the bench for the last 4 innings anyway.

spydertl79
05-14-2008, 11:32 PM
We're going to rock your **** in the ACC tourney

PMZQ
05-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Buster Posey is a very nice guy and a team player, I think that I would know a little more about his personality than you. He did what his coach told him to and if you want to be technical it helped the team. He had a 1.000 fielding % and struck out both batters he faced on the mound. All of the other starters were on the bench for the last 4 innings anyway.

You might think he's a nice guy, but only an egomaniac would participate in such a farce. There is no escaping that. :up: He could have said NO, but didn't. What is Martin going to do if he says no ? Kick him off the team ? :sidelol: How many balls came his way ? Or was he out in the field posing and admiring himself, while all of the chances in the field went to others ? :wink:

PMZQ
05-15-2008, 01:03 PM
We're going to rock your **** in the ACC tourney

If we win tonight, we secure #1 in the Tourney. FSU & UNC will be 2 & 3. FSU will be in the other bracket, and FSU can only face Miami if they beat out UNC. Good luck, because as already seen this year you are 1-2 vs both Miami and UNC :up:

:sidelol:

spydertl79
05-15-2008, 03:41 PM
You might think he's a nice guy, but only an egomaniac would participate in such a farce. There is no escaping that. :up: He could have said NO, but didn't. What is Martin going to do if he says no ? Kick him off the team ? :sidelol: How many balls came his way ? Or was he out in the field posing and admiring himself, while all of the chances in the field went to others ? :wink:
I know him personally and have hung out with him quite a bit, he is a nice guy and he is not an egomaniac. I don't know how many balls came his way, I had to work during the game. I just know that he didn't commit any errors.

spydertl79
05-15-2008, 03:42 PM
If we win tonight, we secure #1 in the Tourney. FSU & UNC will be 2 & 3. FSU will be in the other bracket, and FSU can only face Miami if they beat out UNC. Good luck, because as already seen this year you are 1-2 vs both Miami and UNC :up:

:sidelol:
Miami is going down in the final.

spydertl79
05-15-2008, 05:13 PM
From SectionB:

This so-called 'controversy' over Mike Martin allowing FSU's all-world Buster Posey play all nine positions in Monday's game against Savannah State is nothing but media-generated garbage. Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon, the hosts of ESPN's 'Pardon the Interruption' were particularly uninformed and outrageous, with Wilbon even claiming he was, "deeply offended" by the stunt.

Posey faced two batters on Monday.
I'm sorry, but how or why should a sports commentator be offended by something that occurred on the field a thousand miles away? Wilbon certainly wasn't speaking for the Savannah State interim coach who said he had no problem with it whatsoever. Posey is not only one of the best FSU baseball players to ever don the spikes, but he's also one of the most humble players I've ever met.

Frankly, I'm actually surprised Posey agreed to do it just because he's not one to want the spotlight. But he did, and I for one am glad. As a fan who 1) listened to Jose Marzan do it in the 80s, and watched Mike Martin Jr. do it in the 90s, it was fun to not only watch Posey do it - but it was fun to see all the rest of the players take turns in left field when he took their position.

What FSU and Posey did on Monday was remind everyone that baseball is a game, and games are supposed to be fun. Some people need to be reminded of that more often than others.

Whether or not Florida State should have played Savannah State to begin with is another story altogether, but as has been explained a multitude of times - with most of the country playing conferences series, their choice of opponents was extremely limited. Unfortunately, it won't be a whole lot different in 2009 when Grambling comes to town the weekend before the ACC Championships in Boston. These Tigers, as opposed to the Savannah State Tigers, have similar stats and overall record to this year's end of the year patsy. Let's just hope that playing in a conference, the SWAC, will have prepared a little more to face the Noles.

Next year's out-of-conference schedule as a whole doesn't really impress me, with a three-game series against Hofstra to start the season, as well as Grambling to end it. Of course the Gators are on it again with the split 3-game series, and then there are two-game series against High Point, Florida Gulf Coast University (a much better team than they sound like), UNC-Asheville, and a split two-game series with Jacksonville as usual. One of the more interesting schools to come to Tally next season will be Florida International for a single game, a team that fairly regularly gives Miami fits. The now 'traditional' four-game set against Auburn is back again, though I wish FSU which find another SEC team to play - maybe a slightly better one than AU.

Back to 2008 though, next up is North Carolina State. A team that wasn't expected to be nearly as good as they are, and their entry into the top 25 a few weeks has been followed by a slow but steady climb, spot-by-spot in some polls. The Wolfpack's highest ranking in this week's poll is No. 18 in the Rivals.com poll.

The Pack may not have the best hitting lineup around, but Coach Elliott Avent does have some pop in his lineup with Pat Ferguson, Matt Payne, Ryan Pond, and Marcus Jones. The pitching staff is where the real surprise comes though, as their team ERA is just 3.32 - actually a bit lower than FSU's.

The only starter announced so far for the series is Erik Surkamp (4-2, 4.81 ERA), but I'd be surprised if Clayton Shunick (6-5, 2.48 ERA) didn't get the nod on Friday or Saturday. The Wolfpack's relievers are where the staff really shines, with Joey Cutler (4-0, 2.86 ERA) and closer Jimmy Gillheeney (2-0, 1.20 ERA, 10 saves)

Like the Seminoles, they've also have a small streak of games where they've scored in double digits (12-1 and 17-8 vs. Maryland, and 17-7 against North Carolina A&T).

With the Atlantic Division of the ACC wrapped up, at first glance you might think the Noles aren't playing for anything. However due to Miami's loss to Virginia Tech last weekend, the Tribe is still alive for the regular season ACC title. If the Seminoles sweep North Carolina State, and Miami loses the series to North Carolina, the title would belong to FSU because of conference winning percentage (.833 vs. .821). I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it certainly is possible.

Just to tie up a small loose end from a previous column, on April 10th, I wrote about the mess that the ACC has made of this years' Championship at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. I erroneously lumped the Jacksonville Suns in with the ACC. As it turns out, the Suns had absolutely no part of any decisions that the ACC and some of their new partners have made. In fact, the only thing the Suns have to do with this year's event is the concessions, and that's only because of a previous contract.

The ACC and the Jacksonville Economic and Development Commission have chosen to fix what wasn't broken, despite three years of record crowds, record revenues, and for the most part satisfied fans, happy coaches, players, administrators, and even accolades from most of the press. I also have it on good authority that a local Jacksonville writer is going to blow the lid off of what's going on with the 2008 ACC Championship, and it goes a lot further than the seating and tickets.