PDA

View Full Version : NPD Numbers - April (Pretty Surprising)

CitizenSnips
05-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Hardware Numbers
- Wii: 714.2K http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/05/Down_Arrow-1.jpg 6.8K (0.94%)
- DS: 414.8K http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/05/Down_Arrow-1.jpg 283.2K (40.6%)
- PSP: 192.7K http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/05/Down_Arrow-1.jpg 104.3K (35.1%)
- Xbox 360: 188K http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/05/Down_Arrow-1.jpg 74K (28.2%)
- PS3: 187.1K http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/05/Down_Arrow-1.jpg 69.9K (27.2%)
- PS2: 124.4K http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/05/Down_Arrow-1.jpg 91.6K (42.4%)

April Software Numbers
1. GTA IV Xbox 360 1.85 million*
2. Mario Kart Wii Wii 1.12 million
3. GTA IV PS3 1.00 million*
4. Wii Play w/ remote Wii 360K
5. Super Smash Bros. Brawl Wii 326K
6. Gran Turismo 5: Prologue PS3 224K
7. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness DS 202K
8. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time DS 202K
9. Guitar Hero III Wii 152K
10. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Xbox 360 141K*

GTAIV was clearly the game of the month for April, but it really didn't help sell either system all that much. The 360 and the PS3 sold less than 200k units and over 500k units less than the Wii.

Also, on the software front, 5 of the top 10 games sold were made by Nintendo. Mario Kart beating GTA IV on the PS3 was also very surprising to me.

And Wii Fit hasn't hit stores yet. The Wii is on pace for 10 million by July

Get Up And Go
05-16-2008, 02:22 AM
yep, kid games sell well don't they:d-day:

Phinz420
05-16-2008, 07:14 AM
Let's remember that these numbers obviously only reflect upon those who bought systems during the month of April. There are surely many more people who went out in the early months of 08 because they had "GTA fever". Even one of my buddies who owns a 360, even though hes had it for about a year already...if you were to ask him why he bought his system he could only respond with "GTA & Resident Evil". So, GTA has helped move a ton of consoles regardless of April's NPD numbers.

Dolphin1184
05-16-2008, 12:09 PM
The Wii just boggles my mind. I wonder if people buy multiple Wii's and have their own stash in the closet.

TrueDolFan
05-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Why is any of that surprising? Nintendo is DOMINATING the market, and has been since the Wii came out.

When I read the title of the thread, I thought that something crazy happened last month, like the PS3 outsold the Wii, or the 360 sold more than 10K in a single month in Japan.

CitizenSnips
05-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Why is any of that surprising? Nintendo is DOMINATING the market, and has been since the Wii came out.

When I read the title of the thread, I thought that something crazy happened last month, like the PS3 outsold the Wii, or the 360 sold more than 10K in a single month in Japan.

Mario Kart beating GTA on the PS3 isn't even the least bit surprising to you? I mean that's really what surprised me.

Secondly, GTA did nothing for the PS3/360 in terms of hardware sales in April. I mean for all the publicity and hype (which was well deserved) the two systems actually sold LESS then they did in March. thats crazy.

The Wii dominating wasn't a surprise. Like i said Wii Fit isn't even out yet, and I don't see the Wii selling under 700k any time soon because of it.

TrueDolFan
05-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Mario Kart beating GTA on the PS3 isn't even the least bit surprising to you? I mean that's really what surprised me.

Secondly, GTA did nothing for the PS3/360 in terms of hardware sales in April. I mean for all the publicity and hype (which was well deserved) the two systems actually sold LESS then they did in March. thats crazy.

The Wii dominating wasn't a surprise. Like i said Wii Fit isn't even out yet, and I don't see the Wii selling under 700k any time soon because of it.

No.

Here's why. There are more than DOUBLE the amount of Wii's in the world than there are PS3's. Plus, Mario Kart is the greatest racing franchise in video games.

I forsee the 360 selling less and less, the PS3 pulling close to 2nd, and the Wii widening it's considerable lead by the end of the year.

CitizenSnips
05-16-2008, 02:43 PM
No.

Here's why. There are more than DOUBLE the amount of Wii's in the world than there are PS3's. Plus, Mario Kart is the greatest racing franchise in video games.

I forsee the 360 selling less and less, the PS3 pulling close to 2nd, and the Wii widening it's considerable lead by the end of the year.

Well I certainly won't disagree with any of that.

the becktionary
05-20-2008, 07:02 PM
it's kind of funny that yeah there are more wii titles on that list, yet if you add up all the sales number it barely tops GTA on the 360 combined

CitizenSnips
05-20-2008, 08:09 PM
it's kind of funny that yeah there are more wii titles on that list, yet if you add up all the sales number it barely tops GTA on the 360 combined

I kinda of think its funnier that every other game on the 360 and PS3 other than GTA sells less than wii play.

:lol:

the becktionary
05-20-2008, 08:46 PM
I kinda of think its funnier that every other game on the 360 and PS3 other than GTA sells less than wii play.

:lol:

I find it funny that all the sudden Nintendo fan boys talk about sales, but with the last-gen(is it last gen? old gen?) of consoles the only thing mentioned is "quality of first party games".

GinnVP
05-20-2008, 10:04 PM
I find it funny that all the sudden Nintendo fan boys talk about sales, but with the last-gen(is it last gen? old gen?) of consoles the only thing mentioned is "quality of first party games".

gamecube was wack yo, so i bought ps3 for grand theft auto. wii is for babies.

CitizenSnips
05-20-2008, 10:33 PM

I'm not a nintendo fan boy. I own every console on the market right now other than ps3. (including portables) It really did shock me that the 360 didn't get a major bump in sales with GTA coming out. When Halo 3 came out the 360 actually beat the wii in sales that month, i expected that to happen with GTA as well.

Also, if your going to attack fan boys, then start with the Ps2 fan boys last gen, cause sales numbers were all they talked about last gen. Now those same fan boys talk about Blu Ray cause they cant talk about the sales.

but come on, the Wiis success is just getting silly at this point. You have to laugh. Slap a piece of crap game with a Wii mote and it sells over 2 million copies. Thats just hysterical.

the becktionary
05-20-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm not a nintendo fan boy. I own every console on the market right now other than ps3. (including portables) It really did shock me that the 360 didn't get a major bump in sales with GTA coming out. When Halo 3 came out the 360 actually beat the wii in sales that month, i expected that to happen with GTA as well.

Also, if your going to attack fan boys, then start with the Ps2 fan boys last gen, cause sales numbers were all they talked about last gen. Now those same fan boys talk about Blu Ray cause they cant talk about the sales.

but come on, the Wiis success is just getting silly at this point. You have to laugh. Slap a piece of crap game with a Wii mote and it sells over 2 million copies. Thats just hysterical.

True on the PS2, but as for the GTA affecting sales, it's like complaining that the release of Cloverfield hasn't affected the sales of DVD players. The market is only as big as the people who want to own a 360, and for being out around 3 years, there can't be a large amount of people who want and 360 but don't own one.

The Wii's success is based off of it's gimmick, even though games like Smash and Galaxy are great, you here people talk about wii sports more than them. It is sad that in the IGN review for wiiFit they mention that the graphics are "nonthreatening". Nonthreatening?!?!?! how can that be a plus? I didn't know that good graphics are a turn off these days. The wii is fun, yes, but to me it's more of a gimmick than an out and out great system. Until more games like Smash come out, and less like Deca Sports the Wii is nothing more to me than the Adkins diet of gaming.

CitizenSnips
05-21-2008, 10:43 AM
True on the PS2, but as for the GTA affecting sales, it's like complaining that the release of Cloverfield hasn't affected the sales of DVD players. The market is only as big as the people who want to own a 360, and for being out around 3 years, there can't be a large amount of people who want and 360 but don't own one.

The Wii's success is based off of it's gimmick, even though games like Smash and Galaxy are great, you here people talk about wii sports more than them. It is sad that in the IGN review for wiiFit they mention that the graphics are "nonthreatening". Nonthreatening?!?!?! how can that be a plus? I didn't know that good graphics are a turn off these days. The wii is fun, yes, but to me it's more of a gimmick than an out and out great system. Until more games like Smash come out, and less like Deca Sports the Wii is nothing more to me than the Adkins diet of gaming.

I'll say it, Wii Fit is designed for people over 40. Obviously its going to cator to a much larger demographic then that, but I really believe that's where nintendo was targeting. And that crowd of people, (the majority of them) are the kind that are scared away from videogames due to their graphics. When my mom sees Halo, she thinks "Thats too fast, too crazy looking. I could never keep up with that." Now my mom sees wii fit/ wii sports/ wii whatever, she thinks "I could do that." And i think that's what they mean by nonthreatening. The wii is made for non-gamers. I don't understand how some people can even deny it. Now there are some great games on it, like you said, which is why i own it (in fact those are the only two games i own on it :lol: other than wii sports/play)

But it is cool that people who dont like games normally are at least willing to give the wii a shot.

Also, i hope your screename is both a reference to John Beck AND futurama.

Dolfan32323
05-21-2008, 01:43 PM
The Wii caters to a more casual crowd. My grandparents can play Wii but wouldn't touch the 360.

WeVie
05-21-2008, 04:28 PM
I sure you guys know by now but GTA IV sold about 6 million it first week. That is an entertainment sales record.

It sold 3.6 million on the first day.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-gta8-2008may08,0,2740866.story

the becktionary
05-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Also, i hope your screename is both a reference to John Beck AND futurama.

yes sirrrr