PDA

View Full Version : Age of Conan Launch

Phinz420
05-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Anyone else pick this up yet/pre-order?

I grabbed it yesterday and it is amazing so far. I have a lvl 12 Barbarian on the Tyrany PVP server, though Im not sure if Im moving to another server or not just yet.

Even the PVE servers have all of the PVP elements that are unique to this game like siege warfare for battle keeps and such.

Joe Flipper
05-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Cant get the game to run...when i go to create a toon i get booted to the desktop...after a 4 hour install i am very pissed !

Nosferatu
05-22-2008, 12:56 AM
I'm definitely gonna check it out after I get thru a few more 360 games. I played WoW for 2-3 years, so AoC looks like a refreshing change.

Phinz420
05-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Cant get the game to run...when i go to create a toon i get booted to the desktop...after a 4 hour install i am very pissed !

You sure you have everything updated properly? / Have the minimum requirements?

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

Phin-o-rama
05-22-2008, 11:32 AM
i will have this soon

FinsNCanes
05-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Trying to get a new PC. I was psyched for this game but now kind of hesitant and might wait for Warhammer. I just keep hearing alot of bitching about zoning/instances and how the world doesn't open up much more after level 20, the fact people are flying through content. My roommate has it but it's hard to get a feel for the game when you have to take literally every single graphical setting to low, shaders, shadows, it just looks horrible that way (he still only getss 8 FPS).

Phinz420
05-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Trying to get a new PC. I was psyched for this game but now kind of hesitant and might wait for Warhammer. I just keep hearing alot of bitching about zoning/instances and how the world doesn't open up much more after level 20, the fact people are flying through content. My roommate has it but it's hard to get a feel for the game when you have to take literally every single graphical setting to low, shaders, shadows, it just looks horrible that way (he still only getss 8 FPS).

The zoning is about the same as EQ2. Why does anyone expect WoW zoning when you would have to consider the fact that WoW's textures, 3d modeling, and environments are absolute trash by comparison. This game was made for high end systems to run beautifully, yet lower end systems can run it fine. The system I am using atm is considered on the lower end of the spectrum(canirunit.com) and yet I get the game to go into 40+fps with AAx2 as well as many other graphical bells & whistles on max(water, grass, antisoptric filtering). When I pick up a new card I will be able to make it look MUCH better.

There is just a ton of room for graphical upgrades with this game depending on your card/rig. DX10 isn't even out yet, which will be night-day difference as well. Warhammer is going to barely look any better than WoW, and it won't be out for quite some time - and has the same boring combat that every other MMO has had. Not to mention they are still having problems in beta, reworking entire new content that they had built up and were publicly showcasing since the very beginning.

This game has more PVP content than any other MMO(including on PVE servers), allowing for far more things to do once you have reached the end of the game. Being in a guild is going to be far more fun than ever implemented previously. It seems that many people are complaining that AOC isn't enough like WoW, and I am just thanking god that it is the way it is.

FinsNCanes
05-26-2008, 01:00 AM
I know WAR will be similiar to WoW, then again the sieging and scenarios and how it ties in to benefit the realm and all that jazz sounds interesting. I'm definetely going to check both out I'm sure as soon as I get a new PC here in the next couple months. I haven't played an MMO since the REAL early days of DaoC so it's all basically new to me either way.

I think I want to get an E8500, 8800 GT 512, 4G DDR2 RAM, go with the 650 instead of the 680 motherboard (I hear it's not much of a difference especiialy considering the price jump) maybe SLI the card, I'm not sure yet. That should run Conan fairly well and especially WAR.

Phin-o-rama
05-27-2008, 02:11 PM
I have it and am enjoying it so far....I made a female assassin and immediately went topless (hawt) and got to lvl 7, then decided to make a barbarian.

dumb question (since i can't access the AOC forums yet for some reason) do barbarians walk slower than others? or did i toggle the walk/run setting?

my rig right now

4gb corsair ballistix pc6400
650gb WD
intel core 2 duo @ 2.4ghz
xfx 8800gt 512mb

dont have the ram in yet or the HD :P

game is pretty good looking, and i will look for a bit of improvement when i switch to the faster drive + more ram.

FinsNCanes
05-27-2008, 02:29 PM
I have it and am enjoying it so far....I made a female assassin and immediately went topless (hawt) and got to lvl 7, then decided to make a barbarian.

dumb question (since i can't access the AOC forums yet for some reason) do barbarians walk slower than others? or did i toggle the walk/run setting?

my rig right now

4gb corsair ballistix pc6400
650gb WD
intel core 2 duo @ 2.4ghz
xfx 8800gt 512mb

dont have the ram in yet or the HD :P

game is pretty good looking, and i will look for a bit of improvement when i switch to the faster drive + more ram.

What kind of FPS are you getting at what settings? Your comp is similiar to the one I'm looking to get regarding the video card, ram, and processor (I'll prob go with a 3.0).

Phin-o-rama
05-27-2008, 02:38 PM
honestly i dont know...it was a long install (2 dvd's) + long patch job last night, so I have only a few hours playtime. I didn't even mess with the settings, and am running it at 1650x1080 (i think ...whatever the 22" WS native is)

I can tell you it ran very smooth, and the graphics like the water/character models were pretty sweet....it would hiccup occasionally like it needed to catch up for a second and then it was smooth....also i noticed a few times that textures took a few moments to load....like i would run up on some trees, and then about two seconds later the textures would finish loading.

also one time i sprinted into a group of mobs that popped in on me because they didn't load fast enough. not sure if thats my system or the game

i could prolly lower the resolution then increase quite a few things and it will still play well...

I like some of the little things about the game, IE the mini map showing you where to go and stuff although some of the cutscenes for quests kinda bored me after a while and i just start skipping through the dialogue to get the quest

Phin-o-rama
06-01-2008, 05:10 PM
lvl 20 ranger on tyranny...just got off the noobie island