PDA

View Full Version : ESPN v.s. Madden

JPhinfan86
09-06-2003, 09:36 PM
Some of you may have seen the arguement Barbian and I have been having for a while about which NFL game is better, ESPN NFL Football or Madden 2004. I found a cool way we can judge just for fun.

Each week Madden players can designate one guy to sim the game to played that week (Texans this week) and record the stats he achieves, I'll do the same on ESPN. We post the results week-by-week and keep a record (0-0-0) game-by-game to see which game was closer. These stats must be posted before the game to be fair. I realize you could just make up stats but I don't really see a point in that, its not that big a deal.

We could record passing, recieving, rushing and defensive stats (it really depends on how deep you guys want to go with this). Some basic rules should be laid out, game length (5 or 10 minute quarters), difficulty level, I suggest Pro difficulty (keep in mind that pro difficulty in ESPN is alot different from Madden). I don't know who you guys want to play the Madden sim but I suggest you keep the same guy every week, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

In order for this to work you guys are going to have to let me know if you want to do this by at least tomorrow morning. I'll check back with the board.:)

Dolfan984
09-06-2003, 09:42 PM
You have to use the hardest difficulty (All-madden) from Madden if you want the most realistic play.

Prime Time
09-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Madden is by far the better game. But this way would not proven which game is better, it would just prove which game sims better...

JPhinfan86
09-06-2003, 09:49 PM
Um....last time I checked the point of making a simulation was for it to SIMulate. So yeah, it would prove which game emulates the NFL better.

The difficulty on ESPN works just opposite, Pro difficulty gives you a better feel. All-pro causes fumbles and next to no speed burst, thats how it works, it takes abitility away on hard.

Prime Time
09-06-2003, 09:57 PM
:rolleyes: Ummm no...the way you would find out If a game was better would be how it plays out when YOU the PLAYER plays it. Simulating it wouldn't mean one game is better than the other...just means it Simulated it better. If you want to find out which game simulates better than be my guest and do this.

SuperMarksBros.
09-06-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Prime Time
Madden is by far the better game.

well, i guess it's settled then :rolleyes:

JPhinfan86
09-06-2003, 10:05 PM
So what is that? Yes or No? I'm sure Barbarian would be interested. Thats what I meant dude, You play it...i didn't mean let the game play itself! I met simulate as in you Simulate it by playing it. They call the genre football simulation, that doesn't mean you buy it and watch.

As for which difficulty you use, that shouldn't matter, if one of us played on easy we would run up yard and scores risking being completely off the mark related to the real stats and scores. The final result is how close you are....if ESPN closer it would look like this:
ESPN--(1-0-0)
Madden--(0-1-0)
And vice-versa (week to week).

Miami4Life83
09-06-2003, 10:05 PM
OMG Madden is much better. Oh by the Way Guys I have been reading this forum for a few weeks and now will join the conversations. Hi. David from Louisiana here. Dolphin fan since 79.. I was 4

JPhinfan86
09-06-2003, 10:08 PM
OK...that helps none, if you guys don't want to do this then don't post...let someone who does get in.

Prime Time
09-06-2003, 10:21 PM
We'll post wherever we want. You aren't The Almight Ruler of the Boards. That is retarded....playing the games yourself...that isn't going to help it any, becuase you can completely dominate...I thought you meant let the computer do it. :lol: This was a brilliant idea :rolleyes:

JPhinfan86
09-06-2003, 10:24 PM
Well I guess if you guys want to post off topic and waste space thats up to you. How won't playing it help? True you can completely dominate...but if the Fins don't dominate in real life then you haven't come the closest to the real game have you?(its the whole point of this little competition.) Therefore you would lose.

Prime Time
09-06-2003, 10:27 PM
Therefore this is stupid...because instead of going all out like you would playing regularly you would try to play it and try to get realistic stats...instead of playing up to your standards.

JPhinfan86
09-06-2003, 10:31 PM
Then you don't have to be a part of this, I asked for people who are interested...thank you come again.:www:

Prime Time
09-06-2003, 11:13 PM
And as you can see noone is interested....

Brilliant Idea...:rolleyes:

NCFINFAN38
09-06-2003, 11:29 PM
Well I am interested, but only if you do it with the computer playing the computer. I mean otherwise you could pick a score you thought would be the final and just play the easiest level and get that score.
Letting the console sim it though would be a cool idea. Let both systems sim the whole week for all 32 teams and see who won the games. Then see what happens tomorrow.
That is my opinion any way.
BTW Canes first down with 2:32 to go. All we need is a FG.

Zacher
09-06-2003, 11:50 PM
I haven't played a lot of ESPN but I really enjoy Madden's franchise mode and the A.I. slider ability...I think it really makes the game as realistic as you geel it should be.

FumanChu
09-07-2003, 12:06 AM
Im a big madden fan and buy it yearly.

I also have espn football this year, and the graphics presentation in ESPN is much better than Madden.

madden has better control, it is a better simulation.

The running game in ESPN seems much more fun, and the first person mode rocks as well..

I like madden for the owner mode and franchise play, and online more on the ps2.

ESPN has beautiful graphics and animation and lots of detail. There are even signs in the stands for Fiedler, Ricky, Taylor, etc..

MOULDSROCKS
09-07-2003, 12:18 AM
I haven't playeed 2k4 yeat but:

2k2 > Madden 2002

2k3 < Madden 2003
2k4 ? Madden 2004

Owner Mode kicks *** though.....

WharfRat
09-07-2003, 03:21 AM
Primtime - I think everyone got the idea that you weren't interested after your first post here... no need to continue calling it "stupid" or "retarded" over and over again... if you don't want a part of it..then just stay out...

JPhinfan86
09-07-2003, 03:43 AM
That's all I was saying WharfRat...I proposed the idea for people who were interested, not saying everyone had to be. As for NCFan's comment....I think we should play the games. To just Sim it is pretty boring lol. We could just play the game through and post the stats, there really isn't any reason to lie, like I said its just for fun. Pick a set quarter length and difficulty..for ESPN pro difficulty is the most realistic, I know one other dude said that All-Madden was more realistic on Madden. So play that difficulty @ 5 minute quarters and post the stats, i'll do likewise. I'm saying this is going to settle the "which is better?" arguement, I just see it as a fun little competition.:thewave:

JPhinfan86
09-07-2003, 03:44 AM
Typo- i'm NOT saying this is going to settle the "which is better?" agruement

VanDolPhan
09-07-2003, 08:07 AM
Anybody who quotes that one is better then the other is a fool. Each of the 3 owns the other based on various stuff. So drop the fanboi attitudes cause it kills any argument you have in the first place and just enjoy all 3 :)

!PapaCrunk81!
09-07-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by FumanChu
Im a big madden fan and buy it yearly.

I also have espn football this year, and the graphics presentation in ESPN is much better than Madden.

madden has better control, it is a better simulation.

The running game in ESPN seems much more fun, and the first person mode rocks as well..

I like madden for the owner mode and franchise play, and online more on the ps2.

ESPN has beautiful graphics and animation and lots of detail. There are even signs in the stands for Fiedler, Ricky, Taylor, etc..

See this is what it is like to be **OBJECTIVE**, some others, ahem, on this board should take note. Good post FumanChu!

Hellion
09-07-2003, 10:14 AM
There are too many variables that could mak it inaccurate, such as injuries during the game or the amount of time and individual gets playing time do to situations, weather ect. but sounds like a fun thing to do anyways.

AngryDolphins
09-07-2003, 10:43 AM
I heard espn has no hurdle.

JPhinfan86
09-07-2003, 12:06 PM
Yeah, basically Hellion thats all I was trying to get out of this, a little bit of fun. No real competition just wanted to see which of the two came closer.

ESPN does have hurdle, but you don't control it. The players automatically hurdle over other people if they are on the ground. There is a new system where you hold turbo and when you meter fills up (takes less then a second) you can do a dive move, that is pretty much ESPN's answer to goal line hurdling. It's pretty cool because I was playing San Diego and Tomlinson tried to get in the endzone this way....Thomas met him in mid-air like a brick wall. HAHA :wall: :lol:

JPhinfan86
09-07-2003, 12:25 PM
Here are the stats from the Fins-Texans Game from ESPN:

QB:
Rating Pctg. TD INT Sacked
Fiedler: 79.4 16/25 64% 224 yds 2 2 2
Carr: 24.9 8/31 26% 104 yds 0 3 4

RB:
Carries YDS Longest Run TD
Williams: 15 232 60 yds 2
Konrad: 1 2 2 yds 0
Mack: 10 10 9 yds 0

Recieving:
REC YDS TD
Konrad: 7 59 1
McMicheal: 3 18 1
Chambers: 3 64 0
Thompson: 5 83 0
Gaffney: 6 74 0
Halloway: 1 19 0
Mack: 1 11 0

Defense:
TKL INT TD
Surtain: 3 2 1 (celebrated with "Lambeau Leap" in Miami)
Thomas: 3 1 0 (INT from perfect zone coverage)
Madison: 3 0 0 (1 Tips), 2 Tackles for losses
Taylor: 3 0 0 2 SACKS 4 Hurries
Stevens: 0 1 0
Sharper: 4 1 0

Kick:

Mare: 1/1 39 yarder

Total Yards:

MIA: 456 YDS FINAL SCORE--MIA: 49
HOU: 114 YDS HOU: 0

:peace:

AngryDolphins
09-07-2003, 06:02 PM
And we lost real life.. :(

Prime Time
09-07-2003, 10:21 PM
15 for 232 yards? :lol: How unrealistic is that?!

JPhinfan86
09-08-2003, 01:16 AM
All it takes is a few freed up gaps and Ricky's quick feet.

Prime Time
09-08-2003, 03:27 PM
It will never happen...not on 15 carries.