PDA

View Full Version : Kindergartner Voted Out By Students

BAMAPHIN 22
05-28-2008, 04:34 PM
A Port St. Lucie, Fla., mother is outraged and considering legal action after her son's kindergarten teacher led his classmates to vote him out of class.

Melissa Barton says Morningside Elementary teacher Wendy Portillo had her son's classmates say what they didn't like about 5-year-old Alex. She says the teacher then had the students vote, and voted Alex, who is being evaluated for Asperger's syndrome -- an autism spectrum disorder -- out of the class by a 14-2 margin.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/05/27/earlyshow/main4130288.shtml?source=mostpop_story

Dolphin1184
05-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Glad to see reality TV is having its influences early in life. :rolleyes:

Dolfan32323
05-28-2008, 08:22 PM
not much to say other than what the hell is going on with the school system?

ih8brady
05-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Good to see little kids being taught how to get along with one another :rolleyes2:

m i n o
05-29-2008, 08:45 AM
haha..whats next? give the kids a conk(sp)shell and some spears during recess and the teachers could go to happy hr.or maybe i should say who's next? that must be some pressure on the 2 kids that voted for him.

Joker2thief
05-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Yeah i have problems with the two kids who rocked the boat-
They need to be taught to fall in line and conform to the will of their corporate masters
or in this case classmates and misinformed teacher.

Joker2thief
05-29-2008, 11:34 AM
imagine being the parent of the kid who got voted off
try explaining that one to him-

m i n o
05-29-2008, 12:03 PM
the kid shouldve shared his cookies and juice. getting the whole school popularity thing a good early start is dextramental to a childs social growth in this day and age.
we didn't have this kind of pressure till jr.high when i was a kid. i wonder if the teacher also pointed out the 2 that did vote for him. moreso i wonder wha they did with the kid during class time?make him stand in the hall with a survivors shirt?

m i n o
05-29-2008, 12:06 PM
if nothing else they are helping america form a new batch of physcopathic serial killers..he was always a loner in school they'll say. good job teach..we can only hope she may be his first.

FINdestructible
05-29-2008, 12:24 PM
That is absolutely horrible. Poor little kid. :(

Regan21286
05-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Looks like someone's going to need therapy after getting voted out. And a possibly autistic kid too at that.

Lappy
05-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Prepp Dogg got voted to Super Moderator of the 4 c's.......I don't know what's worse!?!?!?

retired opfinistic
05-29-2008, 01:16 PM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/treasurecoast/content/tcoast/epaper/2008/05/29/0529slteacher.html

Portillo told police that Alex had twice been removed from her class that day for misbehaving. She said he threw his crayons and was lying on the classroom floor, kicking the tables while other students worked on their assignments. A school resource officer, who responded to the classroom, said he saw Alex under a table, according to the report.

Lappy
05-29-2008, 01:17 PM
oh so that makes it ok to vote him out of the class!

you crazy american'ts!

retired opfinistic
05-29-2008, 01:24 PM
oh so that makes it ok to vote him out of the class!

you crazy american'ts!
Why not?

Or should he get a ribbon for being the 17th best student in class?

Lappy
05-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Why not?

ribbons are for girls......he should get a trophy that says Participant!

DolFan31
05-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Why should the students decide this? Obviously the teacher could have called an administration to handle the situation.

retired opfinistic
05-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Why should the students decide this? Obviously the teacher could have called an administration to handle the situation.
A jury of your peers?

Maybe due to the fact that the child was having a negative impact on the other students the teacher decided to weigh the needs of the many over the needs of the one. That's something we've forgotten how to do in our great country.

Cuban Dave 9
05-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Arnold would've shaped that kid up

"it's not a toomah"

ch19079
05-29-2008, 02:26 PM
children should not be allowed to vote on anything, much less what happens to another child.

If the kid was causing a real problem in the classroom, the teacher should have done her job and removed the kid and contacted his parents to pick him up.

Sounds to me like she was trying to use peer pressure to get the kid to act right. But he is in kindergarten.

It seems to be a bad decision by the teacher. Though not exactly large scale news worthy.

retired opfinistic
05-29-2008, 02:35 PM
children should not be allowed to vote on anything, much less what happens to another child.

If the kid was causing a real problem in the classroom, the teacher should have done her job and removed the kid and contacted his parents to pick him up.

Sounds to me like she was trying to use peer pressure to get the kid to act right. But he is in kindergarten.

It seems to be a bad decision by the teacher. Though not exactly large scale news worthy.
It seemed like the child was removed from the class two times already and kept returning and kept acting like a screw up. Maybe the teacher thought if the child could see how his peers felt about his actions he would think twice about being an *******.

outtawack311
05-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Why not?

The kid is autistic jackass.

retired opfinistic
05-29-2008, 03:33 PM
The kid is autistic jackass.
So that gives him the right to disrupt the rest of the class?

I'd be pissed if some kid's behavior, no matter what the cause of it is, disrupted my own child's education. No need to call me a jackass, bro, I'm entitled to my opionion no matter how bad it offends your delicate little mind.

ch19079
05-29-2008, 03:39 PM
It seemed like the child was removed from the class two times already and kept returning and kept acting like a screw up. Maybe the teacher thought if the child could see how his peers felt about his actions he would think twice about being an *******.
I understand what the teacher was intending to do, but I do not see why she needed to do it.

I did see the other post that said the kid had been removed twice before. If it was that big of a deal, that the teach felt she had to single him out like that, why was the kid allowed to return?

retired opfinistic
05-29-2008, 03:54 PM
I understand what the teacher was intending to do, but I do not see why she needed to do it.

I did see the other post that said the kid had been removed twice before. If it was that big of a deal, that the teach felt she had to single him out like that, why was the kid allowed to return?
Ya got me bro. Maybe the principal or whoever pawned the kid back off on the teacher. It's messed up, yes, but I don't think it's as horrible as everyone makes it out to be. In life you need to adapt to your surroundings and play nice with others (even Bills fans) and it's never too early to learn that actions have consequences.