PDA

View Full Version : We all knew this day was coming...

TrueDolFan
05-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Sales of Nintendo's Wii has passed Microsoft's XBox 360 here in the U.S.

Check out the article from VG Chartz here:

http://www.vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=1223

I found it extremely hilarious that the Wii sold more units in Japan in it's first week than the 360 has in it's entire lifetime. The 360 has sold a pitiful 610,000 units in Japan to date.

First place in the market is LOCKED. The race for second is getting interesting.

It'd be even more interesting to find out how many millions of the 360's sales were RROD replacements.

dolfanchris
05-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Wowww !!! What A Tragedy !!!!

CitizenSnips
05-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Go Nintendo, they deserve this.

Remember a couple years ago when everyone was saying nintendos gonna have to drop out of the console game and become strictly portable or even worse, a Third Party Developer? And then Nintendo was considered a laughing stock to create a machine as unique (and, less powerful) as the wii, only to have it outsell it's competition by a considerable amout. The Wii came out one week later than the Ps3 and the Wii has surpassed 10 mil while the Ps3 is sitting at about 5 mill. And of course theres the 360 whose done exactly the same as the PS3, just came out a year earlier.

Sony and Microsoft were all but ready to give Nintendo that finishing blow this generation only to watch the Wii explode in their face.

TrueDolFan
05-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Go Nintendo, they deserve this.

Remember a couple years ago when everyone was saying nintendos gonna have to drop out of the console game and become strictly portable or even worse, a Third Party Developer? And then Nintendo was considered a laughing stock to create a machine as unique (and, less powerful) as the wii, only to have it outsell it's competition by a considerable amout. The Wii came out one week later than the Ps3 and the Wii has surpassed 10 mil while the Ps3 is sitting at about 5 mill. And of course theres the 360 whose done exactly the same as the PS3, just came out a year earlier.

Sony and Microsoft were all but ready to give Nintendo that finishing blow this generation only to watch the Wii explode in their face.

Exactly.

People were poking fun of the Wii's processing power when it was announced; they ridiculed the Wiimote and called it a gimmick. They said Nintendo was making a huge mistake...

Those people (and the people who to this day still belittle Nintendo) are incapable of understanding that GAMEPLAY MAKES THE GAME. They are simply part of the masses of mindless, shallow graphics whores who value style over substance.

jimmy42jack0
05-29-2008, 06:18 PM
i would never, ever even think about buying a wii...the games get stale very quickly

TrueDolFan
05-30-2008, 09:34 AM
i would never, ever even think about buying a wii...the games get stale very quickly

Yeahhh...

You must not know about games like The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Paper Mario, Super Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, Zack and Wiki: Quest For Barbaro's Treasure, No More Heroes, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, and Boom Blox.

DisturbedShifty
05-30-2008, 12:52 PM
As soon as I heard the price point for the Wii I knew this would happen. Yes "hardcore" gamers cant stand the Wii, but the price point is what really moved the system. I know it doesnt go over very well with all age groups. My parents bought a Wii for my 13 year old brother last Christmas, and he doesnt like it. He would rather hae the PS3 or a 360. The biggest reason is because the games he like, such as Naruto and DBZ games, are on the otehr two consoles and not the Wii. I personally love my Wii, but it is not for everyone though.

CitizenSnips
05-30-2008, 02:36 PM
As soon as I heard the price point for the Wii I knew this would happen. Yes "hardcore" gamers cant stand the Wii, but the price point is what really moved the system. I know it doesnt go over very well with all age groups. My parents bought a Wii for my 13 year old brother last Christmas, and he doesnt like it. He would rather hae the PS3 or a 360. The biggest reason is because the games he like, such as Naruto and DBZ games, are on the otehr two consoles and not the Wii. I personally love my Wii, but it is not for everyone though.

???????????????

http://wii.ign.com/objects/856/856011.html

http://wii.ign.com/objects/907/907834.html

Not knocking your post or anything, just curious if he even knows those two games are on the system. I don't know anything about anime but my roomate loves the naruto game. They both got 8s too, which is pretty surprising. The Naruto one is the best fighter on the system not named Brawl i believe.

DisturbedShifty
05-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Oh he knows their on there, but he prefers a PS or Xbox conroller over the Wiimote. He is just a picky *** little kid is all, LOL!

CitizenSnips
05-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Oh he knows their on there, but he prefers a PS or Xbox conroller over the Wiimote. He is just a picky *** little kid is all, LOL!

:lol:oh alright. makes sense.

Predaphin
05-30-2008, 05:53 PM
I haven't played Nintendo since the Super Nintendo and I plan to keep it that way.

The Wii just doesn;t get my attention. I just feel that if the graphics aren;t significantly upgraded then it shouldn't be considered a next gen system.

I am willing to bet the only reason the Wii has sold more units is because it is the cheapest system.

If the PS3 and Xbox360 came down in price to match the Wii, no doubt the PS3 and 360 would surpass the Wii.

CitizenSnips
05-30-2008, 06:11 PM
I haven't played Nintendo since the Super Nintendo and I plan to keep it that way.

The Wii just doesn;t get my attention. I just feel that if the graphics aren;t significantly upgraded then it shouldn't be considered a next gen system.

I am willing to bet the only reason the Wii has sold more units is because it is the cheapest system.

If the PS3 and Xbox360 came down in price to match the Wii, no doubt the PS3 and 360 would surpass the Wii.

It's certainly not as simple as that, though it does play a factor. The Wii is just very popular, more so than the other two combined right now. Everyone and their mother (not even sarcasm) knows what the wii is. Combine that with the fact that's been virtually unobtainable for two straight holiday seasons, which just creates more and more buzz for it, and you can see why the Wii is on top.

Now you've got Wii Fit which is probably the biggest system seller to come out yet and the Wiis dominance probably isnt going to stop anytime soon.

And then theres the fact that it justs different. The 360 and Ps3 are so similar that people actually had to wait to see what HD DVD format won just so they could have a legitimate reason to buy one over the other. (Outside of their respective exclusives of course)

I get what you're saying about the graphics, but thats mainly Developers fault, not the Wiis. Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 have next-gen graphics, which proves the Wii can do it. But only Nintendo has put forth the effort to create said graphics.

DisturbedShifty
05-31-2008, 05:06 AM

No the Wii did not go with a different graphics card. It's the same as teh Game Cube, and believe it or not the Cube was actaully cable of better graphics than the PS2 or the orginal Xbox.

That said, improved graphics over teh last gen consoles DOES NOT make it next gen. There are games on current gen consoles that have opted for lesser graphical detail so that they could add more depth to the backgrounds, enemy and ally AI and physics. Best example is GTA IV. That game doesnt look nearly as pretty as say Gears of War or Heavenly Sword, but it is still considered a next gen game based on its game play.

And it is game play that Nintendo is focusing on. That and gaming together with your friends and family in the same room as opposed to online, hence the reason their online service isnt up to par with XBL or PSN.

And yes you are right, to a point, about the Wii out selling the other consoles because of the price point. But the beiggest draw is the easy at which anyone can pick it up and play. I mean they are buying them and putting them in nursing homes because they are so fun to play. That and it keeps the old folks active, same thing for young kids.

So I would highly suggest you try a Wii and see what you think after that. Try games like Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy if you dont want to play the games that veer more towards the motion end of the spectrum.

TrueDolFan
06-02-2008, 11:29 AM

Your hating on Nintendo makes me laugh.

Just can't see the gameplay through the graphics, can you? You are EXACTLY the type of person who I described in post #4 of this thread.

LouPhinFan
06-02-2008, 12:30 PM
My wife and I have a Wii and absolutely love it. Its a great piece of technology that has out sold the other consoles because of the price point and the fact that it appeals to alot more people that just the hard core gamers.

Besides, I just built myself a new PC if I want to play high end games. With 2 gigs of DDR3, a Q6600 Intel quad core processor, and a GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB, 256-bit video card, they haven't made a game yet that it can't handle.

CitizenSnips
06-02-2008, 03:47 PM
My wife and I have a Wii and absolutely love it. Its a great piece of technology that has out sold the other consoles because of the price point and the fact that it appeals to alot more people that just the hard core gamers.

Besides, I just built myself a new PC if I want to play high end games. With 2 gigs of DDR3, a Q6600 Intel quad core processor, and a GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB, 256-bit video card, they haven't made a game yet that it can't handle.

sounds about right. 'hardcore' gamers hate the Wii because its not made specifically for them, but Microsoft/Sony hate the Wii because they wanna be able to sell their system to people like yourself, who just want it to have fun with their friends, significant others and family members.

TrueDolFan
06-02-2008, 05:43 PM
sounds about right. 'hardcore' gamers hate the Wii because its not made specifically for them, but Microsoft/Sony hate the Wii because they wanna be able to sell their system to people like yourself, who just want it to have fun with their friends, significant others and family members.

I think that it's a myth that "hardcore" gamers don't like the Wii.

I would consider myself to be more of a "hardcore" gamer than most. I've been playing games since I was 5 years old (1981, on my Odyssey 2), far longer than some of these so-called "hardcore" gamers have been alive. Apparently, playing a lot of Madden, Halo, and GTA makes you "hardcore" now. I think the opposite. Playing the great little gems nobody's heard of is what makes you hardcore.

Anyhoo, I love my Wii, and I love my 360. Why? Because I love GAMES IN GENERAL. They are simply devices that let me play games.

To hate one device is ridiculous. And definitely NOT "hardcore".

Greatness920
06-02-2008, 05:59 PM

I would consider myself to be more of a "hardcore" gamer than most. I've been playing games since I was 5 years old (1981, on my Odyssey 2), far longer than some of these so-called "hardcore" gamers have been alive. Apparently, playing a lot of Madden, Halo, and GTA makes you "hardcore" now. I think the opposite. Playing the great little gems nobody's heard of is what makes you hardcore.

Anyhoo, I love my Wii, and I love my 360. Why? Because I love GAMES IN GENERAL. They are simply devices that let me play games.

AMEN to that brother woo!! i love games and im 19 well see how long i stay playing as much as i do

CitizenSnips
06-02-2008, 06:38 PM

Hence why i used 'hardcore'. The 'hardcore' vs 'casual' thing is just getting ridiculous. Companys like Ubisoft, Rockstar and Epic are just making it worse actually using this language.

Miami 13
06-02-2008, 08:23 PM
meh, IMO the Wii is as lame as it gets in gaming.

LouPhinFan
06-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Hence why i used 'hardcore'. The 'hardcore' vs 'casual' thing is just getting ridiculous. Companys like Ubisoft, Rockstar and Epic are just making it worse actually using this language.

The Wii tapped into new market: stay at home moms and baby boomers. While their kids are at school, moms are using their Wiis. The sports games and the Wii Fit appeal to everyone other than what everyone calls the 'hardcore' type gamers.

Hell it got my 67 year old mom up playing tennis and my 50 something father-in-law bowling. Can a Playstation 3 or a Xbox 360 make that claim?

LouPhinFan
06-02-2008, 10:51 PM
meh, IMO the Wii is as lame as it gets in gaming.

Nice. Care to explain your opinion, or do you just like lobbing grenades at the subject?

muscle979
06-03-2008, 12:25 AM
The Wii tapped into new market: stay at home moms and baby boomers. While their kids are at school, moms are using their Wiis. The sports games and the Wii Fit appeal to everyone other than what everyone calls the 'hardcore' type gamers.

Hell it got my 67 year old mom up playing tennis and my 50 something father-in-law bowling. Can a Playstation 3 or a Xbox 360 make that claim?

Why can't they go do that stuff in real life? I mean they still have to go through the motions to do it on Wii anyway right? Personally I don't play video games to do something I could easily do myself. Which is also the reason I think Wii fit is stupid. What's next, Wii Housework? Dinnertime with the Wii? I'd play a Wii and probably have fun but I'd never buy one. A lot of people do, more power to them and good for Nintendo.

My Playstation 3 does everything I could ask an electronic device to do for me. It plays cool games and great high def movies. I played Twilight Princess and RE 4 on Gamecube and never once found myself wishing I could play the game by swinging my hands around or whatever. Just my personal opinion. It's gimmicky, and don't say it's not just because it sells well. Gimmicks can sell well too.

LouPhinFan
06-03-2008, 08:10 AM
Why can't they go do that stuff in real life?

Well my mom has bad knees so she really can't do much of anything. The Wii enabled her to at least get a little bit of exercise. My father-in-law does plenty of stuff, I was just using him as an example of the range of people to which the Wii appeals.

muscle979
06-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Well my mom has bad knees so she really can't do much of anything. The Wii enabled her to at least get a little bit of exercise. My father-in-law does plenty of stuff, I was just using him as an example of the range of people to which the Wii appeals.

That's cool. I think the Wii looks neat but I just personally have always thought I'd get tired of it.

LouPhinFan
06-04-2008, 10:57 AM
That's cool. I think the Wii looks neat but I just personally have always thought I'd get tired of it.

On certain games the wireless Wii remote gets in the way. Like on MarioKart. I started out using the Wii wheel with the remote and it was a lot of fun. Until I started racing online and was getting my butt kicked all over the tracks. Then I realized what was happening: everyone else was using GameCube controlers. Needless to say I switch over to using a GameCube controller. Its more precise while racing than the Wii remote could ever be.

CitizenSnips
06-04-2008, 03:01 PM
It's gimmicky, and don't say it's not just because it sells well. Gimmicks can sell well too.

A lot of games are indeed gimmicky, but its not ALL a gimmick. Some games really do offer just a really unique way to play a videogame. Like Metroid Prime 3. No other game in the world plays like that, and that's pretty cool.

problem is, thanks to the Wiis popularity, a ton of developers make a ton of bad games for it, so for every really good use of the Wiiremote, there's at least 10 games cashing in on lazy consumers who buy anything with cute animals on the cover.

TrueDolFan
06-04-2008, 05:13 PM
A lot of games are indeed gimmicky, but its not ALL a gimmick. Some games really do offer just a really unique way to play a videogame. Like Metroid Prime 3. No other game in the world plays like that, and that's pretty cool.

problem is, thanks to the Wiis popularity, a ton of developers make a ton of bad games for it, so for every really good use of the Wiiremote, there's at least 10 games cashing in on lazy consumers who buy anything with cute animals on the cover.

You hit the nail on the head.

muscle979
06-07-2008, 11:07 AM

I see. That makes sense.