PDA

View Full Version : $600 burning a hole in my pocket.

Boone
06-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Yup. I recieved my "tax relief" check about 3 weeks ago, and I'm finally ready to make the big jump to next gen gaming. I need some advice on which console I should purchase.
PS3 looks interesting with blue-ray, but I really just want a solid game console.
Xbox 360 has some cool looking RPGs and cheaper than the PS3...but the dreaded "red rings of death" scare the hell outta me.
Wii....not interested.
I just can't decide between the two. :unsure:

One good thing...Elder Scrolls 4:Oblivion is available for both. This will surely be my first game purchase. :up:

Thanks guys!

Troysif
06-04-2008, 01:21 PM
At this Point the Red rings of death are nothing to worry about. That has been fixed for the most part. I don't there are many cases of it with the new consoles. It is definantly what i would go with. I have one... doesn't work lol but it was an original one and just died two months ago. So it lasted longer than what was originally expected with the original ones. 360 is the best though.... I miss it
:(

Troysif
06-04-2008, 01:22 PM
oh and Oblivion= GREAT!!!!!

TrueDolFan
06-04-2008, 02:22 PM
The question really is, "do you want to mod your system?" If yes, get a 360. If no, go with a PS3.

Think of it like this: 1st party titles and 3rd party titles. On either system, the 3rd party titles will be the same (minus some rare exclusives). First party titles are where you'll see a difference. Microsoft's first party titles just aren't the same calibur as Sony's (and both PALE in comparison to Nintendo's). Not to mention that it plays Blu-Ray movies right out of the box.

The only reason I got a 360 is because I knew I was going to make some changes to it. If you want to do everything by the book, the PS3 is clearly the better console, IMHO.

LouPhinFan
06-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Yup. I recieved my "tax relief" check about 3 weeks ago, and I'm finally ready to make the big jump to next gen gaming. I need some advice on which console I should purchase.
PS3 looks interesting with blue-ray, but I really just want a solid game console.
Xbox 360 has some cool looking RPGs and cheaper than the PS3...but the dreaded "red rings of death" scare the hell outta me.
Wii....not interested.

One good thing...Elder Scrolls 4:Oblivion is available for both. This will surely be my first game purchase. :up:

Thanks guys!

Perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Wii, my Big Blue friend.

It is a ton of fun. Yes the graphics don't match a Xbox or a PS3, but the game play on the Wii rules...

I don't have either the 360 or the PS3, but if I was looking at one of them then I think the Blu-ray capability of the PS3 would be the trump card. Especially if you already have a hi-def TV.

Good luck.

CitizenSnips
06-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Wii....not interested.

Thanks guys!

First off, dont fear the red lights. Its happened to me twice, they fix it realy fast.

But if your main game of interest is Elder Scrolls, why not just spend that money to upgrade your PC a bit?

My suggestion would be to get the 360. I have that and the Wii. I just think the 360 has the best lineup this year for sure. Depending on how highly you hink of the Metal gear series, you may argue for Ps3, but the 360 has some awesome games coming.

Gears of War 2, Banjo 3, Ninja Gaiden 2 (already out), and Fable 2 are all expected to come out this year.

LouPhinFan
06-04-2008, 03:57 PM
But if your main game of interest is Elder Scrolls, why not just spend that money to upgrade your PC a bit?

That is a good point. I just built myself a new PC for about twice your amount that will play any game at an outstanding frame rate that is currently on the market. Including Crysis...

Depending on how old your current PC is, it may or may not be very "upgradeable", if that is even a word.

Greatness920
06-04-2008, 04:38 PM
u know im gonna say ps3 i mean mtg 4 is comin out and the games will just keep getting more exclusive and better plus gta iv and cod4 and oblivion are available for both so doesnt really mater bout those get the ps3 woo!

#1 Fan
06-04-2008, 06:46 PM
i'm trying to decide between the two myself. my friend has both, and after seeing what he has, i think i'm going with the ps3. it has a lot more features, the exclusive games look a lot better and it's about the same price (350 for a 360 + 50 for XBL = 400 for ps3).

walmart is having a special where you get a 100 g.c. if buy a ps3 between now and june 15th.

LouPhinFan
06-04-2008, 08:19 PM
i'm trying to decide between the two myself. my friend has both, and after seeing what he has, i think i'm going with the ps3. it has a lot more features, the exclusive games look a lot better and it's about the same price (350 for a 360 + 50 for XBL = 400 for ps3).

walmart is having a special where you get a 100 g.c. if buy a ps3 between now and june 15th.

That would be a $100 "Blu-ray" gift card. Which would get you around 4 movies give or take a few bucks...

SKing29
06-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Yes but remember that the PS3 is releasing the sketchy Qore which could be an early sign that PSN isn't going to be free for long or that there will be a basic free PSN and a better subscription based PSN. I right now don't quite understand Qore but it has me worried as a person who bought the PS3 for free online gaming. Just keep that in mind and keep a tap on it. However on a positive side the firmware 2.40 is going to be released in a little while offering achievements (like on the 360) with in game XMB allowing you to chat with friends (like 360), and also with some in game music, but this is all rumor (however it seems favorable).

I would say keep taps on these developments with PSN (if you care about online gameing that is) and go from there. Also since you have $600 and are worried about the three red rings of death, the XBOX360 Elite may be the way to go if you choose a 360 because they rarely get the red rings of death (I have a friend who has had one for about a year with no problems).

Hopefully my tips will help you out.

Tetragrammaton
06-04-2008, 10:51 PM
If you have a nice HDTV, get the PS3 and enjoy Blu-Ray.

I have enjoyed my PS3 immensely, even though I only have one PS3 game, which is on two consoles (GTA IV). But watching movies on Blu-Ray is worth it for now.

Get Up And Go
06-04-2008, 11:20 PM
PS3 has a extremely bright future with the games its coming out with in the next 10 months or so.

Plus the new 80gb PS3 bundle is a good deal.

Tetragrammaton
06-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Plus the new 80gb PS3 bundle is a good deal.

Yes.

Just don't get the 40 GB. It has no backward compatibility whatsoever. The 80 is done through software emulation, which isn't as good as the Emotion Engine my 60 has. But it still runs most PS1 and PS2 games.

And those were some great games.

Get Up And Go
06-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Yes.

Just don't get the 40 GB. It has no backward compatibility whatsoever. The 80 is done through software emulation, which isn't as good as the Emotion Engine my 60 has. But it still runs most PS1 and PS2 games.

And those were some great games.

Don't forget that it will include MGS4 and the DualShock3

#1 Fan
06-05-2008, 12:31 AM
the 100 dollar g.c. should apply to the metal gear bundle as well. i'm holding out until next week to get that.

BARF
06-05-2008, 12:35 AM
Wii....not interested.

Thanks guys!
If u want a straight up gaming console get the elite 360 that is the best gaming console. if u want an overall do everything console go with the ps3, but imo i have both consoles i would go with the 360 elite

muscle979
06-07-2008, 11:04 AM
If you can only have one get the PS3. More bang for your buck, it's simple. The 360 exclusives aren't worth it. Especially now with Bioshock coming to PS3 this fall. If I were you I'd pick up the MGS4 bundle. Also on PS3 you can buy the Oblivion game of the year edition which gives you the game, the knights of the nine expansion, and the shivering isles expansion all on the same disc.

!!Wolf!!
06-11-2008, 07:43 AM
360. Better online gaming interface. PSN sucks compared to LIVE.. While I do pay for it, its worth it for the services. And before the fanboys come out to get me, I have a 360, Wii and PS3(bought with Stimulus Check primarily as a Blu-Ray player). No Rumble support for Dualshock3? Garbage

#1 Fan
06-11-2008, 10:55 AM
360. Better online gaming interface. PSN sucks compared to LIVE.. While I do pay for it, its worth it for the services. And before the fanboys come out to get me, I have a 360, Wii and PS3(bought with Stimulus Check primarily as a Blu-Ray player). No Rumble support for Dualshock3? Garbage

what do you mean no rumble support? kinda curious, because i'm looking to get a ps3 tomorrow. i found this link that says the dual shock 3 has rumble support:

http://reviews.cnet.com/game-accessories/sony-dualshock-3-black/4505-10110_7-32913551.html

JuanchoColombia
06-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Of course it has rumble support.... why do you think it's called DUALSHOCK???:rolleyes:

ch19079
07-07-2008, 05:26 PM
I just got a PS3 with my tax money (the 80 gig metal gear 4 bundle)

It comes with a new wireless six-axis Duel Shock 3 controler, that has rumble support. The original PS3 controlers didnt have rumble.

They are also trying to release a new update that is basically a copy of the achievments you get from X-box and an upgrade of thier on-line system. However, it was to be released on July 2, but was delayed (like just about all of their games).

I understand that Xbox has a great on-line support system, and has more titles, but I plan on having the PS3 for a long time, and I would rather wait for awsome graphics than get a decent game now. I usually only play a few games at a time anyways. Metal Gear 4 has by far the best graphics I have ever seen.

!!Wolf!!
07-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Meant no Rumble support for COD4...and while thats not Sony's fault and more with Infinity Ward....still garbage.

So Far, the Blu-Ray is addicting...as far as games only lookin to buy the following on PS3:
NCAA 2009SOCOM: Confrontation
Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.
Fight Night Round 4
FIFA 09

Every other Big Release thats Multiplatform will be bought for the 360 unless I got enough of my people on both online....then I buy for both

KingNick88
07-24-2008, 10:01 AM
If you are looking to play online then go with 360! Xbox has a very elusive online community. I have a 360 and a Wii, and I would not trade my 360 for anything.