PDA

View Full Version : Has the Death of the SUV Arrived?

BAMAPHIN 22
06-05-2008, 09:08 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif
Drivers struggling with high gas prices are steering away from buying SUVs and other gas guzzlers.

Rising gas prices -- and a greater understanding that fuel will probably never be cheap again -- appears to be killing off the gas-guzzling SUV.
Sales of the vehicles are plummeting, and those drivers who already have them are finding it increasingly difficult to sell or trade-in their old SUVs.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Economy/story?id=4991286&page=1

Miamian
06-06-2008, 01:17 AM
Fewer road b****es!

Yay!

Bumpus
06-06-2008, 09:45 AM
:lol:
Doubtful.

Yes, gas prices suck ... and will continue to suck, but ... I love my truck.

Dolphin1184
06-06-2008, 01:05 PM
:lol:
Doubtful.

Yes, gas prices suck ... and will continue to suck, but ... I love my truck.

Yeah, I love my Mercury Mountaineer myself.

texasPHINSfan
06-06-2008, 01:39 PM
SUV's aren't going away.

People freaked about about gas prices hitting $2 a gallon 8+ years ago and everyone said that was the deathknell of the pickup truck. now, today, we sell more trucks than ever. People will continue to buy big trucks, they'll just spend more money on gas or drive less.

my car gets 15 mpg.... and i put premium in it. yeah paying almost $5/gallon sucks, but i just allow more of my budget for gas now, i don't change my driving habits. :up:

WeVie
06-08-2008, 08:40 AM
I heard on the radio that Hummer sales is down 68%. They said they will probably stop making them.

I know a guy that sales cars that says he can get Hummers at the aution for about 19000 now. He can buy them all day around here now for around 24000 or less at car lots. Of course I mean the used ones.

I also seen on TV that an airline somewhere laid off 3000 people due to fuel cost.

texasPHINSfan
06-09-2008, 07:00 PM
I heard on the radio that Hummer sales is down 68%. They said they will probably stop making them.

I know a guy that sales cars that says he can get Hummers at the aution for about 19000 now. He can buy them all day around here now for around 24000 or less at car lots. Of course I mean the used ones.

I also seen on TV that an airline somewhere laid off 3000 people due to fuel cost.

when you're talking about the used market, that could very well hold true. a lot of owners freak out about prices and bail on their investments.... in all reality, their hit they take from selling their big vehicles now probably will cost them more than the gas bill difference over time.... People are selling their $$ SUVs at huge discounts to avoid those gas bills... but they are not thinking about how much money they are losing by selling their vehicles now (early).

that said, the new sales are still booming in certain areas of the country. There will always be rich people, football players, rock stars, movie stars, tv celebrities, etc. that just eat up these cars new all day long. I see about 10 H2's a day in my 5-minute commute to work up here. Also see a lot of Porsche Cayenne Turbos, Range Rovers, etc.... rich people don't care about gas prices, and rich people aren't going away. ;)

F5Fury
06-09-2008, 07:06 PM
They just did a story in our area about RVs and gas prices. It said that about 75% of RV owners are still going to travel, just not as much.

FinFrenzy
06-09-2008, 07:11 PM
I am a car dealer and own and maintain a dealership.

As sales slump with suv's there is still a market that IMO will never go away. In fact a huge market is stealing (pricing wise trade ins) suv's and trucks right now. Auction prices are not detrimentaly down. DO NOT be taken if you plan on trading or selling your vehicle now (unless it's at my lot:wink:)

Us and I say US americans have short term memory when gas prices hit $6 a gallon and come down to 4.50 most consumers will be excited again creating a market again. Remember a higher percentage of consumers have short term memory in what the market used to be such as anything, insert any catastrophe, gas crisis, war, etc. here....

texasPHINSfan
06-09-2008, 07:15 PM
I am a car dealer and own and maintain a dealership.

As sales slump with suv's there is still a market that IMO will never go away. In fact a huge market is stealing (pricing wise trade ins) suv's and trucks right now. Auction prices are not detrimentaly down. DO NOT be taken if you plan on trading or selling your vehicle now (unless it's at my lot:wink:)

Us and I say US americans have short term memory when gas prices hit $6 a gallon and come down to 4.50 most consumers will be excited again creating a market again. Remember a higher percentage of consumers have short term memory in what the market used to be such as anything, insert any catastrophe, gas crisis, war, etc. here....

good points & great advice.

everything is relative, guys.... my grandad complains about gas prices now, saying he remembers when it was 50 cents a gallon. yet he drives a full-size chevy CK pickup... and he pays for gas now.

So while people will moan & bellyache, they will still pay the $$ for gas. it won't be a serious problem until we hit shortages again... at THAT point i can see the "run for the hills" mentality really start to manifest itself ;)

F5Fury
06-09-2008, 07:18 PM
good points & great advice.

everything is relative, guys.... my grandad complains about gas prices now, saying he remembers when it was 50 cents a gallon. yet he drives a full-size chevy CK pickup... and he pays for gas now.

So while people will moan & bellyache, they will still pay the $$ for gas. it won't be a serious problem until we hit shortages again... at THAT point i can see the "run for the hills" mentality really start to manifest itself ;)

At least we're not driving tractor trailers. I'd hate to pay to fill up one of those.

FinFrenzy
06-09-2008, 07:20 PM
at THAT point i can see the "run for the hills" mentality really start to manifest itself ;)

Then I will give everyone my number with Suburbans, Expeditions, F250's, etc... I will take them off your hands...:evilmod:

FinFrenzy
06-09-2008, 07:31 PM

06/05/08 DENVER Factory $40,000 7,236 Avg WHITE 8G A Yes
06/05/08 DENVER Factory $39,000 12,688 Avg GREY 8G A Yes
06/05/08 DENVER Factory $39,000 10,922 Avg BLACK 8G O Yes
06/05/08 DENVER Factory $38,000 13,839 Avg BLACK 8G A Yes
06/04/08 STATESVL Factory $35,000 13,624 Below GRAY 8G A Yes
06/04/08 STATESVL Factory $35,000 13,267 Below GRAY 8G A Yes
06/04/08 CADE Regular $42,500 4,045 Above BLACK 8G A Yes
06/03/08 UTAH Factory $42,250 289 Above BLUE 8G A Yes
06/03/08 BALTWASH Lease $50,600 7,085 Above BLACK 8G A No
05/29/08 DETROIT Factory $47,100 89 Above BLUE 8G A Yes
05/29/08 DETROIT Factory $38,500 18,845 Avg GRAY 8G A Yes
05/28/08 UTAH Lease $39,250 10,509 Avg ORANGE 8G A Yes
05/27/08 OMAHA Factory $38,000 10,756 Avg WHITE 8G A Yes
05/27/08 OMAHA Factory $38,000 10,602 Avg WHITE 8G A Yes
05/27/08 MANHEIM Factory $34,750 5,268 Below WHITE 8G A No
05/22/08 SO CAL Lease $38,000 14,903 Avg BLACK 8G A Yes
05/22/08 NASHVILL Factory $40,000 12,232 Avg BLACK 8G A Yes
05/15/08 MANHEIM Regular $40,000 4,255 Avg GREY 8G Yes
05/15/08 DETROIT Factory $40,700 7,111 Avg GRAY 8G A Yes
05/14/08 ALBUQUE Factory $43,250 14,037 Above WHITE 8G A Yes

Shhhh.....:foundout: Here's your pricing at dealer auctions for 2008 H2's.

Steady value if you ask me.....:unsure:

DLineman72
06-09-2008, 09:20 PM
If the current fuel situation is driven by lack of oil yes....if it's driven by men in power who manipulate, adjust, and control the harvesting, refining, and shipping/delivery of fuel(which is what this situation is)no. This is a short term feeding frenzy of the super rich until November, which after the election new alliances, and business connections will be made. The prices will then drop to the 2.00/2.50 mark and stablize....just my opinion.

WeVie
06-11-2008, 07:35 AM
If the current fuel situation is driven by lack of oil yes....if it's driven by men in power who manipulate, adjust, and control the harvesting, refining, and shipping/delivery of fuel(which is what this situation is)no. This is a short term feeding frenzy of the super rich until November, which after the election new alliances, and business connections will be made. The prices will then drop to the 2.00/2.50 mark and stablize....just my opinion.

there is no way gas will go that low again. Everyone is paying twice that and still buying the same amount so why would they drop the price.

Man I hope you are right though

FinFrenzy
06-11-2008, 09:17 AM

That will never happen, you might see it stay at 3.75 -4.25 but that will be the lowest.

TheMageGandalf
06-12-2008, 01:51 AM
That will never happen, you might see it stay at 3.75 -4.25 but that will be the lowest.

Oh it can happen...(2.50-3.00)

Not overnight mind you, but it can happen.

Give it some time...wait after the elections...after a few interest rate raises and here's the BIG "if"...IF the CFTC gets there heads out of their butts and provides real oversight (fat chance), we should see a drop to previous levels...

It should be better said that we'll never see $1 or $1.50 ever again.

steeda
06-12-2008, 08:07 AM

Give it some time...wait after the elections...after a few interest rate raises and here's the BIG "if"...IF the CFTC gets there heads out of their butts and provides real oversight (fat chance), we should see a drop to previous levels...

As much as I hate to say it. FinFrendy was right, - anywhere from $3.75 to $4.25 is what we'll see.

This county needs the high prices. In fact they should be higher. What the government needs to do is force the oil companies to invest more in alternative energy sources.

The only solution to this problem is to stop using oil completely.

FinFrenzy
06-12-2008, 08:54 AM

Nope, were talking about opec here...

Raising interest rates will further hurt the housing market.

FinFrenzy
06-12-2008, 08:57 AM
As much as I hate to say it. FinFrendy was right, - anywhere from $3.75 to $4.25 is what we'll see.

This county needs the high prices. In fact they should be higher. What the government needs to do is force the oil companies to invest more in alternative energy sources.

The only solution to this problem is to stop using oil completely.

There's too many machines that use oil right now not just the cars already on the road.

Cuba and China already have oil rigs in the Gulf why don't we?? Drill the midwest..Oregon or Wyoming (I can't remember which) has enough oil to completly sustain our dependency on foreign oil.

steeda
06-12-2008, 08:40 PM
There's too many machines that use oil right now not just the cars already on the road.

Cuba and China already have oil rigs in the Gulf why don't we?? Drill the midwest..Oregon or Wyoming (I can't remember which) has enough oil to completly sustain our dependency on foreign oil.

Ok, I see your point, and I should have clarified that I meant for transportation purposes. Construction, making plastics, asphalt.. of course that's still going to use oil.

As far as drilling in other places or using oil shale - It's only a temporary solution to a much bigger problem. In fact, you're only delaying the inevitable - depletion of a non-renewable resource.

From what I have read, biodiesel can be used as a fuel in diesel cars and trucks without major modifications. That's the simple part.

The hard part is creating a distribution system for an alternative fuel to gasoline. Ethanol will probably be the solution, if it can be derived from something other than a part of our food supply. Like what you mentioned before, what makes this even more difficult is the sheer number of cars on the road that can't use the fuel. Maybe if the government makes the auto manufacturers produce flex-fuel vehicles only in the future?? Maybe we could retrofit our engines to use that fuel??

Realistically, if the country decides to go the renewable energy route, its going to cost billions (if not trillions) of dollars in investment, but it's worth it. We get to tell the middle eastern countries to shove it - and contribute less to global warming.

Amars
06-13-2008, 12:27 AM
Just drill the Alaskan Reserve. They only have to drill 8% of it and we will have I think the biggest oil reserve in the world. Or something like that.

Or just make electric cars. Telsa motor is rolling out with it new line this year and they are already sold out. Its only a matter of time before these cars are affordable to consumers.

http://www.teslamotors.com/

0-60 in 3.9 seconds
100% electric
13000 rpm redline
less then .02 per mile

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

TheMageGandalf
06-13-2008, 12:43 AM
Nope, were talking about opec here...

Raising interest rates will further hurt the housing market.

Inflation is becomming the #1 priority.

Fed wont care much about the housing situation, if come the end of the year, the dollar keeps losing ground and Europe raises rates.

Its just the way its going to be. They will monitor the situation and wont hesitate to raise the funds rate .25 base points or more if needed should inflation keep its out of control trajectory.

OPEC doesn't have too much of the blame for this market compared to Goldman Sach's and their predictions.

Make no mistake. We are where we are right now with commodities because its the newest way to turn a quick buck in the markets.

It might come down like the dotcom crash or it might not. Only time will tell.

As far as going away from Oil completely...HA! Maybe in 100 years.

FinFrenzy
06-13-2008, 08:06 AM
Ok, I see your point, and I should have clarified that I meant for transportation purposes. Construction, making plastics, asphalt.. of course that's still going to use oil.

As far as drilling in other places or using oil shale - It's only a temporary solution to a much bigger problem. In fact, you're only delaying the inevitable - depletion of a non-renewable resource.

From what I have read, biodiesel can be used as a fuel in diesel cars and trucks without major modifications. That's the simple part.

The hard part is creating a distribution system for an alternative fuel to gasoline. Ethanol will probably be the solution, if it can be derived from something other than a part of our food supply. Like what you mentioned before, what makes this even more difficult is the sheer number of cars on the road that can't use the fuel. Maybe if the government makes the auto manufacturers produce flex-fuel vehicles only in the future?? Maybe we could retrofit our engines to use that fuel??

Realistically, if the country decides to go the renewable energy route, its going to cost billions (if not trillions) of dollars in investment, but it's worth it. We get to tell the middle eastern countries to shove it - and contribute less to global warming.

I'm not saying I disagree with you. Yes it would be nice to get away from oil it's just that if machines and cars stopped today we would still need the oil for 20-40 years in normal productions.