PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new HDTV

t2thejz
06-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Hey guys

I'm looking into buying a new 37''-42'' LCD HDTV. Any suggestion on what to buy and where to buy one?

WeVie
06-11-2008, 08:11 AM
Around here Sears seems to be the best place for the best deals but we have no best buy or curcuit city. I just bought a 32" Sylvania LCD for the bedroom about three weeks ago for about $550. I bought a 50" Panasonic plasma 1080i there about a year ago. I think including tax it was $1286.

ch19079
06-11-2008, 09:27 AM
I would recommend buying it from a large company like Best buy or Circuit City. I tend to "trust" them more. They are just known for selling high priced electronics. (just avoid the walmart electronic section at all costs).

Its all about cost vs quality. you can buy a 50" LCD tv for a relativly low price, but the visual quality and overall quality wont be that good.

either way we are talking about a large amount of money, so its safe to assume you will have it for a long time. I would definatly go with a name brand you trust and check consumer reports, you dont want to have any regrets about it.

I got a 32" Samsung LCD and I still love it. If I was going to buy a new TV of any size, it would probubly be a samsung.

WeVie
06-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Another thing you can do is buy "last years model". They come out with new ones every year like they do cars. If you shop around you can get a great deal but it may take a little time to find it.

The Panasonic that I bought was $1999 about three months before I bought it. Then it went on sale. I also got 10% more off by using the Sears card. As soon as we charged it, we wrote a check and paid the card off right there in the store.

m i n o
06-17-2008, 08:54 AM
around here the vizio's have been pretty popular and at a decent price. my mom just bought a vizio for 6 and change for a 37" and my sister-in-law payed 5 and change for one much smaller..i was shocked when sis told me what she paid for such a small t.v(it was a vizio too).

m i n o
06-17-2008, 10:09 AM
I would recommend buying it from a large company like Best buy or Circuit City. I tend to "trust" them more. They are just known for selling high priced electronics. (just avoid the walmart electronic section at all costs).

Its all about cost vs quality. you can buy a 50" LCD tv for a relativly low price, but the visual quality and overall quality wont be that good.

either way we are talking about a large amount of money, so its safe to assume you will have it for a long time. I would definatly go with a name brand you trust and check consumer reports, you dont want to have any regrets about it.

I got a 32" Samsung LCD and I still love it. If I was going to buy a new TV of any size, it would probubly be a samsung.
buying from a big company doesn't garuntee quality. i just bought a compaq computer from best buy(granted one of the cheaper ones) but i had the damn thing for about 3 weeks and the motherboard has gone out. it will take longer to get it fixed than i have actually had the comp. best buy atleast for me is not living up to it's name. i cannot recommend getting anything from best buy as it was my first and last purchase from them.

spydertl79
06-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Sam's Club- best prices by far and they have some solid TVs. Definitely go for the 1080i if you can afford it.

SuavePhin
06-17-2008, 03:40 PM

I have to agree with the bills fan (ugh im gonna be sick:tongue:) and go with a Samsung, i've got my 50" samsung and never had any problems with it (knock on wood)

Dolphin1184
06-18-2008, 09:03 PM
I got a 32" Dynex TV at Best Buy for $409. Back in January the TV was on sale for $459, and then I used a 12% off coupon to get to the price. I have had it for 6 months already, and it has been worth every penny. Great HD picture! Works great for my PS3 and Xbox 360. I look at the Best Buy ads every week and never see a TV that even comes close to this price.

Keep looking at the sales every sunday. You never know when you can find the great prices!

buying from a big company doesn't garuntee quality. i just bought a compaq computer from best buy(granted one of the cheaper ones) but i had the damn thing for about 3 weeks and the motherboard has gone out. it will take longer to get it fixed than i have actually had the comp. best buy atleast for me is not living up to it's name. i cannot recommend getting anything from best buy as it was my first and last purchase from them.

Best Buy didn't build the computer. Compaq did. It is not their fault that Compaq has shotty reliability at best, especially now.

m i n o
06-28-2008, 09:42 PM
just a update on bestbuy and my computer situation..so i bring the comp up to them to be sent off for repair and wait for about a month calling in between to keep up o it. come to find out after 2 hrs at the store and talking to bb's corporate office i learn that the f'rs never sent it to repair..they ordered the box to ship it in and thats it becasue it ended up getting placed back on the shelve and sold to someone else(mind you only the broken tower). the whole time the store representitive flat out lied to me about being the manager,my pc being in tennesee in repair and then told me there was nothing they could do about a replacement without a knownst to them a makebelieve tracking number.
needless to say i walked out with a much better pc than i originally bought but that was the most clusterf'd store i have ever been to and maybe not all best buy's are like this but ill never go to that one again. so maybe their reliability wasn't shotty but their customer service sure was.