PDA

View Full Version : Any car mechanics in here??

MustangFinFan
06-07-2008, 01:42 PM
quick question.....i bought 5 quarts of oil for my oil change, and the mechanic told me it was too little. i needed another quart, so i bought another quart.

i put it in myself and now apparently its too much, lol. but its only over a little bit, so i assume my car takes 5.5 quarts.

is this okay if its just a little bit over? or do i need to drain the last quart?

WelcomeBack
06-07-2008, 08:10 PM
My brother said it could be possibly dangerous, but he also said it should be fine most of the time.

texasPHINSfan
06-09-2008, 06:48 PM
your oil level being a little bit "over" is ok if your engine is not running and cold. If your car is warm and running, and its high, then you should be somewhat wary.

i can't imagine it being catastrophic, so i would not worry about it unless its pouring out the dipstick...

FinFrenzy
06-09-2008, 07:25 PM
quick question.....i bought 5 quarts of oil for my oil change, and the mechanic told me it was too little. i needed another quart, so i bought another quart.

i put it in myself and now apparently its too much, lol. but its only over a little bit, so i assume my car takes 5.5 quarts.

is this okay if its just a little bit over? or do i need to drain the last quart?

What kind of car do you have? Mileage and type of oil used???

Any smoke out your tailpipe?

99% of the time your fine with a 1/2 quart too much.