PDA

View Full Version : Pro Football Weekly's Grade

SF Dolphin Fan
06-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Pro Football Weekly has generally been considered the best source for draft information. Anyway, here is their grade of the Dolphins draft.

Miami
The Dolphins went the safe route and landed the draft’s top tackle (Jake Long), who should prove to be a very good selection. They continued to get bigger on both lines with the selections of DEs Phillip Merling and Kendall Langford and added a pair of versatile guards in Shawn Murphy and Donald Thomas, who should earn jobs and develop. RBs Jalen Parmele and Lex Hilliard bring size and more power to the backfield. Overall, Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland accomplished their goal of getting bigger and added some key pieces for their 3-4 defense. They were also able to land QB Chad Henne late in the second round after choosing not to address the QB position early, and the pick could prove to be a very solid value. A draft filled with linemen may not look sexy, but it will make the Dolphins a much better football team.
Grade: A

phintim
06-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Pro Football Weekly has generally been considered the best source for draft information. Anyway, here is their grade of the Dolphins draft.

Miami
The Dolphins went the safe route and landed the draft’s top tackle (Jake Long), who should prove to be a very good selection. They continued to get bigger on both lines with the selections of DEs Phillip Merling and Kendall Langford and added a pair of versatile guards in Shawn Murphy and Donald Thomas, who should earn jobs and develop. RBs Jalen Parmele and Lex Hilliard bring size and more power to the backfield. Overall, Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland accomplished their goal of getting bigger and added some key pieces for their 3-4 defense. They were also able to land QB Chad Henne late in the second round after choosing not to address the QB position early, and the pick could prove to be a very solid value. A draft filled with linemen may not look sexy, but it will make the Dolphins a much better football team.
Grade: A
Safe picks is just what the Dolphins needed especially this year with a roster so thin on talent. In fact going safe in the first 2 rounds is the way to always go.

umpalu
06-17-2008, 04:01 AM
for our needs we were a B, for our staff's philosophy we were an A. I think there were better drafts, but that doesn't matter, only time can tell that.

emeraldfin
06-17-2008, 05:59 AM
Safe picks is just what the Dolphins needed especially this year with a roster so thin on talent. In fact going safe in the first 2 rounds is the way to always go.

I dont see how picking a QB in the 2nd round can be considered a safe pick

BlueFin
06-17-2008, 10:43 AM

I don't agree that their stradegy was to go "safe" neccesarily, I think that plan was to build from the lines out, and get bigger, also paying some important attention to the single most important position in football (QB).

SF Dolphin Fan
06-17-2008, 10:35 PM
I don't agree that their stradegy was to go "safe" neccesarily, I think that plan was to build from the lines out, and get bigger, also paying some important attention to the single most important position in football (QB).

I agree. Essentially, this is like an expansion team so builiding the lines made sense. I also like taking another young quarterback to compete with Beck and McCown. You can never have enough good quarterbacks and if both Beck and Henne pan out they have trade value.

CANDolphan
06-18-2008, 05:25 AM
Honestly Day 1 was an A+, but Day 2 was horrendous. I just don't see why all the running backs, especially when we missed out a golden opportunity to pick up potentially the best guard in the draft, John Greco. If we were die hard on getting an eventual back up running back, why trade with the Lions and let Kevin Smith go? He is a power runner, which Parcells loves.

I just feel our 2nd day was riddled with mistakes. In the end Im a big fan of Kendall Langford and appreciate the selection, but I feel we missed the ball on a few crucial selections. Hardly make or break, but on a team such as this, the talent we let slip through our fingers will be about a 6 on the " how the hell could we have let them slip " scale

However, the good news is that if we have the same regime for the next draft ( a luxury here in Miami! ) I have no worries. They will have such an indepth understanding about what our weaknesses truly are that you can bet we will improve nearly as much as we did this off season. I don't think we will be able to improve as much as we did THIS off season, but it will be a pretty difference with Parcells and CO. It's like having a 60% average in school and then scoring a 90 on a test. It'll shoot up your score but eventually you won't see as big of a difference.