PDA

View Full Version : Clayton on Bills Offense, (any new QB/Offence info. from Jets, Phins Camps)

Iroquois Joe
06-14-2008, 10:26 PM
With Rookie and/or unproven QBs on every AFCE team except the Pats, the Jets, Dolphins and Bills fans can only speculate on how affective their teams will move the ball down the field this year.

Here is an article by ESPN's Clayton with his observations on what he has seen the Bills are working on.

My question to Jets and Phins Phans is how is your Offenses looking? Articles to post, comments, etc.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3438951

HughC
06-15-2008, 01:00 PM
I just read that same article, it will be interesting to see if Buffalo can implement this change. It can't hurt - "We were the 30th-ranked offense the past two years,'' Schonert said. "I think the players are excited about the change.''

If they can pull it off, the Bills will be worth watching for the first time since Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas were there.

Tempo was one of the keys to Wyche's success. He found ways to get 11 offensive players to react more quickly than defensive players could think. He'd quick snap before defenders were set. He'd devise schemes to get defenders offside. He'd shuttle players on and off the field so he could play with the minds of defensive coaches and try to confuse an opposing defense's personnel groupings. Schonert, Buffalo's quarterbacks coach last season who was promoted after Fairchild took a head-coaching job at Colorado State, will bring a thinking man's approach to the Bills' offense.

I remember a playoff game where Kelly and the Bills decimated the Raiders, who were favored, using the no-huddle right from the opening drive. The Raiders had to use a time out on defense just to give their guys a breather and a chance to regroup, but Buffalo scored anyway and won by about 40 points.

"We're doing a little of what we did in Cincinnati,'' said first-year offensive coordinator Turk Schonert, who spent eight of his nine seasons with Wyche as a Bengals quarterback. "It was a little different back then. Back then, you didn't have free agency and movement, so you could hold a team together. You kept going and going and had a huge library.''

It will be interesting to see if Buffalo can effectively run this offense now. If it's based on keeping the defense off balance, they need a 'huge library' of plays to choose from. But if they have to limit the number of plays they run so their own players can learn it, will defenses be caught off guard?

MattM
06-15-2008, 01:10 PM
I just read that same article, it will be interesting to see if Buffalo can implement this change. It can't hurt - "We were the 30th-ranked offense the past two years,'' Schonert said. "I think the players are excited about the change.''

If they can pull it off, the Bills will be worth watching for the first time since Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas were there.

Tempo was one of the keys to Wyche's success. He found ways to get 11 offensive players to react more quickly than defensive players could think. He'd quick snap before defenders were set. He'd devise schemes to get defenders offside. He'd shuttle players on and off the field so he could play with the minds of defensive coaches and try to confuse an opposing defense's personnel groupings. Schonert, Buffalo's quarterbacks coach last season who was promoted after Fairchild took a head-coaching job at Colorado State, will bring a thinking man's approach to the Bills' offense.

I remember a playoff game where Kelly and the Bills decimated the Raiders, who were favored, using the no-huddle right from the opening drive. The Raiders had to use a time out on defense just to give their guys a breather and a chance to regroup, but Buffalo scored anyway and won by about 40 points.

"We're doing a little of what we did in Cincinnati,'' said first-year offensive coordinator Turk Schonert, who spent eight of his nine seasons with Wyche as a Bengals quarterback. "It was a little different back then. Back then, you didn't have free agency and movement, so you could hold a team together. You kept going and going and had a huge library.''

It will be interesting to see if Buffalo can effectively run this offense now. If it's based on keeping the defense off balance, they need a 'huge library' of plays to choose from. But if they have to limit the number of plays they run so their own players can learn it, will defenses be caught off guard?

It will be interesting to see--as you correctly note, it may take awhile to install, but I'm not sure how patient fans or management will be. In addition, all of our offseason issues (Lynch's immaturity in dealing with his recent legal troubles, Peters' potential holdout and Hardy's involvement with Lynch's problems (he was apparently in the car) seem to be on that side of the ball. I'm hoping they iron them out before training camp, but we'll see.....

CirclingWagons
07-12-2008, 08:48 PM

The 1990-91 AFC Championship game:wink:
Bills 51, Raiders 3:up: didn't realize the Raiders were favored tho...

jp2lee783
07-13-2008, 03:39 PM
The 1990-91 AFC Championship game:wink:
Bills 51, Raiders 3:up: didn't realize the Raiders were favored tho...

I don't think they were favored for that game. He might be talking about the Divisional Playoff game in the 93-94 season. The Bills were the #1 seed in the AFC and I'm pretty sure they already beat the Raiders once that year.

ch19079
07-14-2008, 09:15 AM
To be honest, any change from last years "run, run, 4 yard pass" offense will be an improvement.

But any offense (new or old) really depends on the QB. I just hope Edwards can finally solve our QB problems.

fatkirstyalley
07-14-2008, 10:38 AM
I hate the bills and all their fans. But, I must admit I like Trent Edwards for some reason. I would wish you guys luck this year, but..lets be honest.........

feelthepain
07-15-2008, 09:25 PM
The Bills IMO are the worst team in the division. I know Miami had a bad year last year, but I think most of that falls on Cam Cameron. There is no chance in hell we should have lost that many games last year, the year before we had a very good ST unit and we had a top 5 defense, there's no way we should have been as bad as we were if it weren't for the poor coaching poor personnel changes and total lack of control Cam had with that team.

The Bills were simply very lucky to win 7 games. Theres obviously a reason that team finished with the 30th ranked offense and the 31st ranked defense the last 2 years. To be that bad on both sides of the ball and win 7 games is pure luck. Heck Miami had far more injuries on offense then the Bills and we still managed to finish higher in scoring and total offense then the Bills and we only won one game last year. If we can win only one game yet have a better offense with far more injuries then Buffalo, then obviously they were lucky to win 7 games. Oh and our defense finished better then theirs too, and we had a bunch of injuries there too.

BuffaloSoldier2
07-16-2008, 12:09 AM
The Bills IMO are the worst team in the division. I know Miami had a bad year last year, but I think most of that falls on Cam Cameron. There is no chance in hell we should have lost that many games last year, the year before we had a very good ST unit and we had a top 5 defense, there's no way we should have been as bad as we were if it weren't for the poor coaching poor personnel changes and total lack of control Cam had with that team.

The Bills were simply very lucky to win 7 games. Theres obviously a reason that team finished with the 30th ranked offense and the 31st ranked defense the last 2 years. To be that bad on both sides of the ball and win 7 games is pure luck. Heck Miami had far more injuries on offense then the Bills and we still managed to finish higher in scoring and total offense then the Bills and we only won one game last year. If we can win only one game yet have a better offense with far more injuries then Buffalo, then obviously they were lucky to win 7 games. Oh and our defense finished better then theirs too, and we had a bunch of injuries there too.

:sidelol:

feelthepain
07-16-2008, 12:34 AM
:sidelol:

Yeah, that's basically how I feel about a Bills team that over the last 10 years is the worst team in the division....BY FAR!!!

BuffaloSoldier2
07-16-2008, 01:32 AM
Yeah, that's basically how I feel about a Bills team that over the last 10 years is the worst team in the division....BY FAR!!!

:up:

Iroquois Joe
07-17-2008, 01:23 PM

Post me some Fins articles to read, make a couple of comments.

Shoulda Woulda..I see the same thing on the Bills message boards. If OC Fairchild had a pair, injuries, Losman, rookies, bad officiating, clock management, etc. It is what it is regardless. And yes the Bills were fortunate to win 7 games last year.

So when I read your thoughts, it sounds like sour grapes, but there are lot of pundits that agree with you. The people at ESPN, Sporting news, to name a few, look at the overall Bills production and performance and based on that don't give them high marks this year to contend for anything much more than a fight for the division basement....with the Fins no less.

And so they shoudn't. The Bills really haven't proven anything much accept that the young team will play hard for the coach.

On the other hand, a few like Vinnie Iyer and Lomardi at SI show the Bills a little love. I'm sure you can find, I look for them too, examples that vary drastically for all teams in our div., except the Pats.

So here are two. One I like, one I don't.

Sports Illustrated's Lombardi loves the Bills. Thinks they could be a wild card team over competition like Cleveland. Doesn't even mention the Jets.

Possible. Edwards could take a giant step, the O and D lines are playing together for the second year (new commers like Stroud and Spencer should not have too difficult a curve to follow and should gel quickly). Hardy could seamlessly make the transition to the pros, a good pass catching tight end could emerge to move the chains, Schouman perhaps, Lynch could be the 2nd comming of Faulk, I could go on blah blah, with the easy sched. and thoughts on he secondary and linebacker core, but you get the picture.

Now....over to Sports illustrated.
5f'n-11. That's it. Who is this jerk? But hey, like I said the Bills haven't done a thing (in the eyes of many) to earn anyone's respect other than play scrappy above themselves ball.

They are a McCargo or Stroud injury away from lasts years problems from the line back. Edwards could get injured or play worse than his rookie season. The playcalling could be as vanilla as last year, Hardy struggles, injuries, no OL depth, no TE that scares anyone, let alone has to be game planned for, again there are all sorts of arguements why 5-11 is realistic.

First the good for Buf fans
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/michael_lombardi/07/16/frankly.football/index.html?eref=T1

Now the bad, for everyone else to enjoy
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=434207

John from Hemet
07-17-2008, 03:29 PM

You cant be serious.....

jp2lee783
07-18-2008, 01:23 PM

You're right. The Bills had no injuries last season. Wait. They had the most players on IR.

feelthepain
07-18-2008, 01:44 PM
You're right. The Bills had no injuries last season. Wait. They had the most players on IR.

Yeah, and of that list how many were on the offense? The 30th ranked offense? the Dolphins won one game and had a better ranked offense and scored more points in 07.

As for "ALLLLLL the Bills injuries on defense" not one player has a history of being a great player in the NFL. No pro bowlers, no ALL- PROS, no one with playoff experience, nothing. Yet Bill fans lean on this fact like it means something. Well if the Bills were the Pats and had Brady and Moss and Thomas and lost players of that level and then cried we only won 7 games cause those players were injured, then that would be a credible excuse.

But to lose players like Ko Simpson and Paul Posluzny and cry about how many injuries they had is laughable. The Bills lost the most "unproven" players in the league...that's all.

Many of the players they lost last year were healthy in 06 and the Bills were 31st on defense finished 30th on offense, and won just 7 games. Everything the Bills did healthy in 06 they did injured in 07. So how can Bill fans say the players they lost in 07 would have made them better had they been healthy?? It didn't make them better the year before!!

Bill fans use this stupid injury excuse like a crutch, and expect people to be dumb enough to believe the injuries were the difference in 07 from a bad team to a good team. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miami had a ton of injuries too, but Bill fans think Miami just sucks, we get no credit for all our injuries in 07, Nooooo!!! Bill fans just ignore the loses Miami had and say we are just simply an awful team....funny how that door swings. It's an excuse for one team and not the other...frikin classic!!!!!

Fact is the Bills have no history in the last 5 years of being a good team, but we are supposed to believe they are suddenly a team that can compete for the division and a playoff spot. Whatever!!

jp2lee783
07-18-2008, 02:41 PM
I've read your posts for a while and I can tell you have a great deal of football knowledge and experience. But, the whole luck thing is kind of silly to me. You could also talk about how it was luck that the Broncos just managed to get their kicking team out with 1 second left to beat us opening day. Or how the the Cowboys got a lucky bounce to recover an onside kick. Obviously it works both way though.

As for the injuries. Losing Ko Simpson was no more or less important that the Dolphins losing Yeramiah Bell. Losing Zach Thomas was a bigger impact than us losing Poz, but Poz was leading the league in tackles through 2.5 games so it's hard to say it was meaningless. Losing Trent Green hurt, but they weren't exactly lighting it up threw the air before that. Peerless Price actually hurt the Bills more than people think because towards the end of the 06 season the offense really caught fire. Not Peerless himself, but having him on the outside opened things up for Josh Reed and Roscoe in the middle and they were forced to play out of position in 07.

Obviously the Bills have to improve from their 30th and 31st rankings and the defense will probably improve quicker than the offense which I'm ok with. But you have to look beyond that stats into the intangibles sometimes. A Win is Win man. No Matter how you look at it.

moogyman
07-20-2008, 02:45 AM
[quote=jp2lee783;1062535927]I've read your posts for a while and I can tell you have a great deal of football knowledge and experience.

Hmmm...really now, that's funny. I've yet to find anything but a blind hatred for the Bills in any of his post's :rolleyes:

feelthepain
07-20-2008, 11:29 AM
[quote=jp2lee783;1062535927]I've read your posts for a while and I can tell you have a great deal of football knowledge and experience.

Hmmm...really now, that's funny. I've yet to find anything but a blind hatred for the Bills in any of his post's :rolleyes:

Not blind hatred at all, I just think it's ridiculous to think the Bills have a shot at the playoffs with the team they have. I have yet to see the Bills prove anything, but Bill fans expect everyone to believe their injuries and this years additions. But Miami simply sucks. Talk about blind hate.

feelthepain
07-20-2008, 12:01 PM
I've read your posts for a while and I can tell you have a great deal of football knowledge and experience. But, the whole luck thing is kind of silly to me. You could also talk about how it was luck that the Broncos just managed to get their kicking team out with 1 second left to beat us opening day. Or how the the Cowboys got a lucky bounce to recover an onside kick. Obviously it works both way though.

As for the injuries. Losing Ko Simpson was no more or less important that the Dolphins losing Yeramiah Bell. Losing Zach Thomas was a bigger impact than us losing Poz, but Poz was leading the league in tackles through 2.5 games so it's hard to say it was meaningless. Losing Trent Green hurt, but they weren't exactly lighting it up threw the air before that. Peerless Price actually hurt the Bills more than people think because towards the end of the 06 season the offense really caught fire. Not Peerless himself, but having him on the outside opened things up for Josh Reed and Roscoe in the middle and they were forced to play out of position in 07.

Obviously the Bills have to improve from their 30th and 31st rankings and the defense will probably improve quicker than the offense which I'm ok with. But you have to look beyond that stats into the intangibles sometimes. A Win is Win man. No Matter how you look at it.

Everything Bill fans hang their hats on isn't based on actual production, it's based on theory and hope. You can't call a player a loss when they've never been or proven anything in the league. They could be anywhere between great and awful, but there's no history to prove anything. If there's no history then you can't make the assumption their loss was anything. For the experienced players the Bills lost to injury, you can't list one Bill player injured in 07 that has a high level of success in the NFL, so again if none of the Bills experienced players lost to injury in 07 were ever high level players then how can you call their loss "significant"?

The bottom line is the Bills injuries were not to probowl talent or all pro players. Again there's also no saying these players wouldn't have played well....but theory can be applied to any situation, it doesn't make it fact. The Bills had a lot of injuries in 07, that's a fact, all the players injured in 07 have never made any significant impact at their position for any length of time in the NFL, fact. What is the only realistic and fair conclusion that can be drawn from those facts, there is no proof whatsoever the Bills would have been better in 07 had they been 100% healthy, based on player history, team history and coaching history.

As for the games the Bills "almost won" any team can beat any team on any given Sunday and I don't care if those two teams are the 07 Dolphins and the 07 Pats. It can happen any Sunday. For the Bills losing to the Broncos...they weren't exactly a good team. As for the Cowboys, the Bills were handed the ball as a gift 5 times and had "0" points of those turnovers by their offense, that's pathetic, I don't care what team it is. Miami played the Bills twice last year without,

Ronnie Brown
Chris Chambers
Trent Green
Zach Thomas
Yeremiah Bell

and several others, everyone on that list missed 10 or more games in 07. However, the Dolphins outplayed the Bills in every aspect of the game in Miami last year and still lost the game by only 3 points. A game Miami clearly should have won, but the Bills won. Yeah the Bills were lucky to beat the Dolphins in Miami, even though we lost a ton of talent. Three of those five players were proven probowl talent. My point is Miami lost a lot more proven high level talent in 07 then the Bills and we still managed to finish higher ranked on both sides of the ball then the Bills. Yes the Bills were very lucky to win 7 games. One more thing of the 7 games the Bills won, only the Redskins were a good team.

Of the 7 wins the Bills had in 07 4 were against the Dolphins and Jets. Hardly proof the Bills can win against the upper level teams. BTW that was also the same in 06 the Bills beat just the 10-6 Jets in 06 and everyone else they beat were under 500. 2 years of the same offensive and defensive rankings, the same record and the same 1-6 ratio of good teams to bad in the win column. But many Bill fans are predicting the playoff this year....based on what??

jp2lee783
07-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Based on our chance to beat bad teams all year with this schedule. I understand your theory about how the Bills had no pro-bowl players lost to injury and what not, but I think the point is that the coaches picked those players to start because they're simply better football players then the ones that replaced them when due to injury.

Man I love talking football. Let's get this season started already.

Brassmonki14120
07-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Miami played the Bills twice last year without,

Ronnie Brown
Chris Chambers
Trent Green
Zach Thomas
Yeremiah Bell

and several others, everyone on that list missed 10 or more games in 07. However, the Dolphins outplayed the Bills in every aspect of the game in Miami last year and still lost the game by only 3 points. A game Miami clearly should have won, but the Bills won. Yeah the Bills were lucky to beat the Dolphins in Miami, even though we lost a ton of talent. Three of those five players were proven probowl talent. My point is Miami lost a lot more proven high level talent in 07 then the Bills and we still managed to finish higher ranked on both sides of the ball then the Bills. Yes the Bills were very lucky to win 7 games. One more thing of the 7 games the Bills won, only the Redskins were a good team.

Of the 7 wins the Bills had in 07 4 were against the Dolphins and Jets. Hardly proof the Bills can win against the upper level teams. BTW that was also the same in 06 the Bills beat just the 10-6 Jets in 06 and everyone else they beat were under 500. 2 years of the same offensive and defensive rankings, the same record and the same 1-6 ratio of good teams to bad in the win column. But many Bill fans are predicting the playoff this year....based on what??

You play the Bills twice this year, again without Chambers, Thomas and Green.

Bad teams on Buffalos schedule-

Raiders
Rams
Cards
Phins (twice)
KC
San Fran
Denver
Hoping to at least split with Jets

That's 8-8 or 9-7. Now using your formula, 1-6 ratio, we add 1 win against a good team and the Bills could go as high as 10-6.

I personally had the Bills going 9-7 at best (more like 8-8) but thanks to your reasoning I BILL-ieve the Bills CAN make the playoffs @ 10-6!

Thank you for helping renew my faith in my team, GO BILLS!

ch19079
07-28-2008, 02:18 PM
I dont really know where to jump into this one...

Both teams had injury problems. Both teams had QB problems. Both teams made moves in FA. the bills just finished with more wins.

To me, the only thing both our teams can take away from last season is that our backups got experience. Aside from that, I dont really see what the fins can take from it. most of thier problems are unsolved. In fact, I think they lost more tallent in FA (and trades) than they gained in the offseason (though it may be for the best). Not to mention how their players just quit last year (yes, they quit, there is no other physical way to only win 1 game...). Yes, they had injuries just like the bills, but you have to also look at who they are not bringing back this season. Taylor, Chambers, Thomas...

While the bills can take pride that they didnt quit and despite having horrible offense and defensive stats, and won 7 games (and probubly should have been atleast 8 or 9). The bills also settled on a QB and filled major holes through FA and the draft. No team is perfect, I still have doubts about starting a rookie CB and WR, and im not completly sold on our FS. I also do not understand the bills refusal to sign an actual TE. We are far from where they would like to be, but it seems to be much closer to the playoffs than the fins.

The fins might be moving in the right direction, but they are definally far behind just about everyone else. The bills are looking to fight for the playoffs, while the fins should be looking to win 7 games.

Justasportsfan
07-31-2008, 02:57 PM
The Bills IMO are the worst team in the division..you say that every year.

I know Miami had a bad year last year,. and yet you said the fins were better.

but I think most of that falls on Cam Cameron. There is no chance in hell we should have lost that many games last year, the year before we had a very good ST unit and we had a top 5 defense, there's no way we should have been as bad as we were if it weren't for the poor coaching poor personnel changes and total lack of control Cam had with that team.,. that wasn't you opinion on Cam prior to the season starting. You insisted then that the fins had a better coaching ataff.

The Bills were simply very lucky to win 7 games. .
and the fins were lucky to win 1 thanks to the ravens.

literatestylish
07-31-2008, 03:50 PM

I'm not sure how you could think the Bills won by luck. Last year the Bills won their games by an average of 8 points per game. You think they luckily won by more than a TD on average? They lost two(2) games in the final 3 seconds as Denver somehow got their kicking team on the field with a split second left on the clock, and Dallas got a lucky bounce on an onside kick that put them within 20 yards of a winning field goal. That is 2 games they lost by 1 point.

John from Hemet
08-02-2008, 04:31 PM
In my opinion feelthepain is the worst poster on this site.....his posts actually prove other teams fans right......

The bills are the worst team in the division.....riiiiigght. I may not agree with the way NYJUNK twists his posts....but at least a lot of what he says does have merit.

But yes......the team that was lucky to win one game last season and really didn't do all that much to improve their team to include losing Jason Taylor all of a sudden overtakes a team that one 7 games last year with a ton of injuries and was in it for a wilcard until the final weeks of the season......