PDA

View Full Version : Rey Mauluga

phinfan33
06-30-2008, 04:35 PM
How many of you would like to see us get him in next years draft if he falls into our laps? i ask because what i know of him,he just seems like and has a feel to him that he's the kind of LB we can build our defense around.

phinfan33
06-30-2008, 04:35 PM
this probably should've gone into the Draft forum,but i'm asking it here.

FinFrenzy
06-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Got any stats on him?

phinfan33
06-30-2008, 04:43 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/06/number_button58-1.gif Rey Maualuga http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/06/1284090-1.jpeg
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/11/profile-1.gif http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/11/arrow-1.gifClass:
Senior
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/11/arrow-1.gifHometown:
Eureka
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/11/arrow-1.gifHigh School:
Eureka
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/11/arrow-1.gifHeight / Weight:
6-2 / 260
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/11/arrow-1.gifPosition:
LB
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/11/arrow-1.gifBirthdate:
01/01/1987
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/11/arrow-1.gifExperience:
3V

CAREER: He has 194 tackles in his career.
2008: Maualuga, USC's leading tackler in 2007 and a 2-time All-Pac-10 first teamer now in line for All-American and Butkus Award honors, returns for his third season as the Trojans' menacing starting middle linebacker as a senior in 2008. He was named to the 2008 Playboy Pre-Season All-American team. He is on the "Watch List" for the 2008 Lombardi Award and Bronko Nagurski Award.

phinfan33
06-30-2008, 04:45 PM
some stats i found on him to see what you guys think

FinFrenzy
06-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Looks good....still reading but BTW just put a paragraph and copy and paste the link in the post. For copyright reasons we can't just copy and paste articles or any work from another site. :up:

phinfan33
06-30-2008, 04:49 PM
if by some chance we can and do get him,and he has a rookie season like Patrick Willis had for San Fran,and improves on that,we could be set at the MLB position for years to come,plus have a MLB that opposing OCs will have to take into consideration when they game plan against us,and fear.

X-Pacolypse
06-30-2008, 04:50 PM
some stats i found on him to see what you guys think

I think this belongs in the Draft forum.

phinfan33
06-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Looks good....still reading but BTW just put a paragraph and copy and paste the link in the post. For copyright reasons we can't just copy and paste articles or any work from another site. :up:
alrighty,will do next time i start a post on a player i think will be good for us.

phinfan33
06-30-2008, 04:56 PM
here's the link.../usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/maualuga_rey00.html

Geforce
06-30-2008, 05:34 PM
here's the link.../usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/maualuga_rey00.html
http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/maualuga_rey00.html

This Is Rey Maualuga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owXgLCbw5YU

Rivals.com recently selected Maualuga as the Scariest Defender in College Football.

phinfan33
06-30-2008, 07:27 PM
the reason i ask is because if he falls into our laps,and he has a phenominal senior season,i don't see how we can pass him up.

ChambersWI
06-30-2008, 07:34 PM
the reason i ask is because if he falls into our laps,and he has a phenominal senior season,i don't see how we can pass him up.

if we overachieve, noway he falls into our laps. Rey-Rey just can do so many things that it will make it hard for most teams to pass on him (can play inside and outside, play in 43 or 34, good in coverage and blitzing). More likely that his teammate Cushing or Little Animal falls to us if we overachieve this year.

vmarcilfan75
06-30-2008, 08:50 PM
yes i would like to draft him and this coming from a UCLA fan

CedarPhin
07-02-2008, 03:45 AM
Saw him play in HS...he was like Jefferson on "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"

I'd be a fan of drafting him to build the defense around, he's a beast.

AquaAdrenaline
07-06-2008, 01:18 AM
I hope he gets to wear the #55 next year at USC. He deserves it.

miami234ever
07-06-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm actually a pretty big fan of Rey Maualuga and think he would fit nicely here. Crowder's contract expires at the end of this season, so if Crowder doesn't play well, we could definitley go after Rey and would upgrade with Rey. The only other player that i would maybe want over Rey would have to be Mr. George Selvie from South Florida. But Rey has potential and definitley fills an area of need for us.

#1dolphinsfan
07-06-2008, 09:30 PM
i would much rater us get a Corner with our #1 pick if we have the chance to get Malcolm Jenkins

miami234ever
07-06-2008, 10:43 PM
i would much rater us get a Corner with our #1 pick if we have the chance to get Malcolm Jenkins

The front 7 is so much more important than the secondary. Unless it's Ed Reed or Champ Bailey, you don't pass up guys like Selvie or Maualuga for guys like Jenkins.

calmrage
07-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Dude is an animal! My top choice for next season.

Roman529
07-08-2008, 02:01 AM
How many of you would like to see us get him in next years draft if he falls into our laps? i ask because what i know of him,he just seems like and has a feel to him that he's the kind of LB we can build our defense around.

He is the first guy I would be looking at for the 2009 draft....I think we can rebuild the LB corps and Rey Rey is the most dominant LB I have seen in a while. I got to see a lot of Pac-10 games and he always has killed my ASU Sun Devils. He is like a super-sized Troy Palamalu. :lol:

hooshoops
07-18-2008, 09:44 AM
the guys a stud!!! definitely my top choice for our #1 pick next year. rey rey all day long. i like the previous posters super sized troy palamalu comparison. rey rey hits like a truck and can run for his size.

there are rumors that malcolm jenkins who i also really like may not run a 40 in the sub to low 4.4 range which i think to be considered as a top 5 pick he must do.

ZachThomas76
07-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Out here on the WC I watch alot of, if not all of the SC games. The guy is a beast like many of you have said. The one drawback is he is prone to over running things or getting out of position due to how aggressive he is. That can easily be fixed through coaching I would think. Im dying for the Phins to get some intimidators on this defense, preferably at LB and safety. I wouldnt think twice if he was available when we pick.

C-HUCKS
07-19-2008, 11:40 PM
The front 7 is so much more important than the secondary. Unless it's Ed Reed or Champ Bailey, you don't pass up guys like Selvie or Maualuga for guys like Jenkins.

Don't forget about James "Little Animal" Laurinatis. As much as i would love to get Jenkins next year, if we have a chance to draft one of these three LB's it will be hard to pass up. All three will be stars in the NFL, the LB position is going to be very strong at the top of next year's draft board.

hooshoops
07-20-2008, 12:06 AM
what bothers me with laurinitis is when i watch him he seems to make too many plays beyond the line of scrimmage. for as dominant a d as ohio st had last year except in the lsu game and as highly rated a player he is i would think he should be making more plays in the backfield.

i'm gonna watch him real closely this year.

the other thing is lars doesn't hit like rey rey. rey rey blows you up.

PhinFan0202
07-23-2008, 05:12 PM
I like Maualaga as a 1st round pick. He's about as tough as the come and with the trend of somoan guys that come from USC(i.e. Troy Polamalu, Lofa Tatupu, Junior Seau) i think he's the next great stud player to come down that line. As someone stated that he's a bigger version of Polamalu that would probably be what the doctor ordered for our defense.

Finch83
08-16-2008, 06:07 PM
He is an absolute BEAST! I am talking, he will be the next Ray Lewis for sure. Definitely take him if he is avaible.

I am an Illini fan and witnessed first hand his dominance when Illinois faced USC in last years' Rose Bowl. He was all over the place it was scary.

He is waaaay superior to OSU's linebacker. Without question.

Amars
08-16-2008, 10:55 PM
rey is a beast.

SeanTeezee26
08-17-2008, 01:41 PM
IMHO... Rey Rey>Malcom Jenkins>Selvie

ZachThomas76
08-17-2008, 02:04 PM
IMHO... Rey Rey>Malcom Jenkins>Selvie

If we get any of those 3 Ill be happy next year. All 3 will fill needs. Selvie is an interesting one for me. Undersized rush end in College that will convert to 3-4 olb. If he can come anywhere close to being as good as Demarcus Ware, Id be tempted to go in his direction as much as I love Mauleuga. Can someone look his name up, since myself included, have seen it typed at least 6 different ways lol.

MiamiDolfan85
08-17-2008, 02:19 PM

I will admitt...our linebacking core is weak,but not as weak as our CB spot...If Crowder doesnt do well this year than I can see Sparano taking RM,but our secondary is the weakest spot on our whole roster....we need to address it,especially if we can rush the QB this year,all we need is a play-making Corner to seal the deal,and Will Allen just doesnt have the hands for it....

MiamiDolfan85
08-17-2008, 02:25 PM
yes i would like to draft him and this coming from a UCLA fan

dude...you sig is AWESOME.....(the pic on the right I mean lol...:hi5:)

SeanTeezee26
08-18-2008, 05:29 PM
If we get any of those 3 Ill be happy next year. All 3 will fill needs. Selvie is an interesting one for me. Undersized rush end in College that will convert to 3-4 olb. If he can come anywhere close to being as good as Demarcus Ware, Id be tempted to go in his direction as much as I love Mauleuga. Can someone look his name up, since myself included, have seen it typed at least 6 different ways lol.

Totally agree with you. I would love to see any of those 3 in a fins jersey.

vmarcilfan75
08-29-2008, 03:42 PM
dude...you sig is AWESOME.....(the pic on the right I mean lol...:hi5:)

Thanks
:hi5:

hooshoops
08-29-2008, 09:55 PM
i'll be at the usc game tomorrow and i'll have a birds eye view of mauluga. can't wait...although the impending home *** whoopin for my cavaliers sux.

our tailgate is open for business by 8am. good times

NRA
09-05-2008, 10:08 PM
he has my vote......IF we are going defense.

our wr corp is POOP, so if michael crabtree is there
for us, that could be a dilema.

DB'S will be a consideration also.

MP08!!

Gonzo
09-06-2008, 01:14 AM
he has my vote......IF we are going defense.

our wr corp is POOP, so if michael crabtree is there
for us, that could be a dilema.

DB'S will be a consideration also.

MP08!!
If the two are available, I wouldn't place any of your bets on Crabtree.

Potential star LB > potential star WR, and it looks like Parcells agrees given his draft history.

djphinfan
09-06-2008, 01:25 PM
When they say scary i know what they mean, this man is about 260 lbs that can run a 4.5, hes like a missle out there, he detroys people and iam tellin yall somethin...hes gonna hurt people literally, on the football field....SERIOUS serious aggression....

He will be the number pick imo, blows James lauranitis away

CedarPhin
09-06-2008, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't mind taking a WR, LB, or CB at whatever spot we're at, in no particular order.

Maualuga would be the centerpiece of our D for years to come. He's an absolute monster.

NRA
09-06-2008, 04:17 PM
well, i would agree that parcells on MOST occasions would pick the lb, but....

what if our defense at years end is in the top 8 and top 5 against the run
and our offense is 26th in the leauge and 30th passing?

i think a 6'4, 217 lb wr might make the exception!

one thing bill didnt like about glenn is that he was a smurf and that didnt
excite him in that draft. bill DOES LIKE big, fast, physical recievers!

MP08!!

WelcomeBack
09-08-2008, 01:41 PM
I'd easily take Rey Maualuga at linebacker.

If he declares, Vontae Davis could be a GREAT cornerback, depending on where we will pick

bryan
09-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Unless you think Rey Maualuga can play OLB, you do not draft him in the first round in a 3-4 defense. ILB in a 3-4 is not the playmaker. They just need to be solid. You can find 3-4 ILB in the later rounds or in FA.

Being realistic, the Fins will draft in the top half of the first round. Give me an OLB like Ware, Merriman, etc. that can sack the QB.

At 6-2 and no real experience rushing the passer from the OLB or DE spot, probably not a wise pick to try and move Rey Rey to OLB.

I'd go with a shut down corner and draft a tweener as an OLB. Hopefully, we can get a WR in FA. WR usually take a while to develop and I'm tired of losing!

WelcomeBack
09-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Rey has been very good at rushing the passer from the inside linebacker spot. He's very instinctive and if you've watched him play, he makes plays all over.

bryan
09-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Rey has been very good at rushing the passer from the inside linebacker spot. He's very instinctive and if you've watched him play, he makes plays all over.

I cannot hink of any 3-4 ILB with double digit sacks. High draft picks and big contracts usually are not associated with an ILB.

I'll stand by my original post unless you think Rey can switch to OLB. Sacks, forced fumbles, quarterback hurries, holding calls on an OT are all game changing plays or drive killing plays.

I'll take Akin and Torbor in FA for no draft picks to play ILB in my 3-4.

WelcomeBack
09-08-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm just saying he has made game changing plays throughout his time at USC. Of course it's still early and would depend on our current players and future free agents, but Maualuga is a player you can take a chance on and he'll make things happen.

Roman529
09-08-2008, 05:31 PM
I love Rey M., but I think a lot of people are overlooking a LB on USC who could be just as good and have muh more upside:

Brian Cushing, Sr. USC
From the strongside, Cushing is one of those freakish athletes with outstanding upper body strength and the 4.5 speed to make plays all over the field. A natural pass rusher at 6-4 and 240 pounds, heís as scary on the blitz as he is defending the run. He had nagging injuries throughout 2007, so donít put mch stock in his modest numbers...25 tackles, 2.5 tackles for a loss, and a sack.

I watch a lot of PAC-10 games as I am an ASU alum, and I think Cushing will have a great NFL career.

WelcomeBack
09-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Brian Cushing is also a very good LB. Watching him play is great and he will also be successful in the NFL.

Roman529
09-13-2008, 09:38 PM
You guys see Rey run that INT back for a TD just now? We need a guy like this on the Phins. :)

SR 7
09-13-2008, 09:39 PM
hes a beats dude. id love to see him play in miami wont happen tho.

ChambersWI
09-13-2008, 09:50 PM
I love both Mauluga and Cushing. If we pick in the top 10, I WANT REY REY. No questions. If he's gonna be picked before us, I want us to trade up to get him (I'll get over it if he is drafted before we draft, but if we pass on him, I will cry and then have a profanity filled vent session on the forums unless it is for Vontae Davis). If we pick in the middle of the round, I want Cushing.

SR 7
09-14-2008, 12:19 AM
we gotta go LB or CB in round one and WR round 2.

SR 7
09-14-2008, 12:19 AM
although i would rather get asomugha in FA since we have the money and use our 2nd 2nd or a 3rd on a CB instead. so we can go MLB and OLB and WR in round 1 2 and 2nd 2.

studsatele
09-17-2008, 12:57 AM
well. i saw the osu game. cushing looked great as did rey. but i gotta stick with maualuga. somebody said ilb isnt a playmaking position. says who!!!!!! i think rey is a great start on the D. but dont forget. because of absolute neglect in the talent aquisition department, we still need trench work. so dont be surprised if we go for a nose tackle maybe in the 2nd or a guard in the 3rd.

TheBow305
09-17-2008, 02:04 AM
although i would rather get asomugha in FA since we have the money and use our 2nd 2nd or a 3rd on a CB instead. so we can go MLB and OLB and WR in round 1 2 and 2nd 2.

Agreed. If I was Parcells, I would sign Asomugha, then go and draft Vontae Davis or Malcolm Jenkins in the 1st as well. Then keep Will Allen and Lehan and cut the rest of the CB's. That way we have Asomugha and Allen starting and Davis or Jenkins playing nickel until they are ready to unseat Allen as the starter. While Lehan provides good depth and veteran presence.

That would solve our CB problem for sure. Then we can look to add a WR, NT, S, and OLB in the following rounds.

SR 7
09-17-2008, 03:15 AM
Agreed. If I was Parcells, I would sign Asomugha, then go and draft Vontae Davis or Malcolm Jenkins in the 1st as well. Then keep Will Allen and Lehan and cut the rest of the CB's. That way we have Asomugha and Allen starting and Davis or Jenkins playing nickel until they are ready to unseat Allen as the starter. While Lehan provides good depth and veteran presence.

That would solve our CB problem for sure. Then we can look to add a WR, NT, S, and OLB in the following rounds.

exactly. or we can go REY REY round one and a CB round 2. cuz REY is going to be a beast or Selvie.

TheBow305
09-17-2008, 07:34 PM
exactly. or we can go REY REY round one and a CB round 2. cuz REY is going to be a beast or Selvie.

I would be happy with that. I wish we would just re-sign Crowder so we can go another direction because we have so many needs that Maualuga does not cover for us.He is a great player though and would be a welcomed addition in Miami for sure!

SR 7
09-18-2008, 07:50 PM
I would be happy with that. I wish we would just re-sign Crowder so we can go another direction because we have so many needs that Maualuga does not cover for us.He is a great player though and would be a welcomed addition in Miami for sure!

i dont think crowder is good enough to build around. he disapears and never stands out during a game. Rey on the other hand is everywhere, literally even after he falls hes there to make a group tackle. its crazy stuff i tell ya'.

I wouldnt mind crowder as the 2nd MLBbut hes goin to ask for good money and we sure as hell better not give it. maybe 4 yrs for 12 or something ntn more hten 3 mill a year and he wants more im sure so let him walk.